• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Please, enough about LJ

We are NOT getting him because the price tag will be high, both in terms of compensation to KC and his actual salary. It's not even a matter of the Bills being able to afford him- it's a matter of the opportunity cost.

To be perfectly honest, I don't even want him. Now, don't get me wrong- he is an incredible football talent and he would help this team immensely, but I'm being pragmatic here.

If we sign LJ, it will take several 1st day draft picks and a TON of cap space. Right now, this team has a lot of holes, and while LJ would fill one of the biggest ones, he would also limit our ability to fill the rest of them. Teams need to have balance to win, and devoting too many picks and too much cap space will leave us with some huge holes, even with a player as talented as LJ.

So, let's return to the real world. Realistically, we are looking at Lynch or any number of 2nd round options for RB, plus we have an outside shot at trading for Peterson or Turner. This LJ stuff is just a pipedream.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: Please, enough about LJ

Ditto for Briggs and Turner.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
      Ditto for Briggs and Turner.
      I think Turner can be had for a reasonable price but I agree that we have too many holes to give up too much for him. A 2nd round pick and a conditional later pick would be about as high as I'd go. I could also live with swapping picks in the 1st and throwing in a 3rd, but anything that requires more than one of this year's picks is too much to pay and too limiting for our other needs.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Uh, OP. Enough about LJ but you went on to talk about why you don't want him? Wassup?
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
          Uh, OP. Enough about LJ but you went on to talk about why you don't want him? Wassup?
          Good point.

It really doesn't matter what I want (or anyone else for that matter) because it would be too impractical for us to get him.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

We have a self imposed cash to cap in place for a reasons. I agree that LJ's contract price would screw up our ability to resign JP and Evans longterm which is why I don't forsee LJ becoming a Bill.

Turner is younger has less miles on him and would cost the Bills less and makes better economical sense. LJ IMO is heading towards the downside of a RB's career at age 28. A big payday for a RB with lots of miles could turn out to be an ugly thing in couple of years. I don't forsee LJ signing any backloaded contracts with solid but minimal guarenteed monies.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

It would only hinder our ability to close other holes because of our owner's unwillingness to spend the money.

We're actually third in the NFL right now in salary cap space and could afford to do the deal than most teams. On top of the fact that the cap increases again doesnt make it a salary cap issue; it is a "we're not going to pay any player that much money issue"

We probably have to extend Losman next year and Evans and Schobel sometime in the next 18 months, but we have no promiment (and I mean none) scheduled to become a FA next year.. SO trading for Larry Johnson wouldn't put us in Salary Cap hell.. BUt it would put Wilson in money from the bank hell.

Sorry, but its true.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                It would only hinder our ability to close other holes because of our owner's unwillingness to spend the money.

We're actually third in the NFL right now in salary cap space and could afford to do the deal than most teams. On top of the fact that the cap increases again doesnt make it a salary cap issue; it is a "we're not going to pay any player that much money issue"

We probably have to extend Losman next year and Evans and Schobel sometime in the next 18 months, but we have no promiment (and I mean none) scheduled to become a FA next year.. SO trading for Larry Johnson wouldn't put us in Salary Cap hell.. BUt it would put Wilson in money from the bank hell.

Sorry, but its true.

what if we're saving that cap for Birggs but waiting til' after the draft eh?

The cap we have and Marv saying we need help at lb'er at the luncheon is what makes me think , Briggs will be a bill if we don't land AP.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  what if we're saving that cap for Birggs but waiting til' after the draft eh?

The cap we have and Marv saying we need help at lb'er at the luncheon is what makes me think , Briggs will be a bill if we don't land AP.
                  I have no problem with that.. If its not LJ, as long as it's to make some kind of significant move to help this team NOW.. LJ, Briggs, Turner.. More money to move up for AP.. Whatever..

As long as they don't just sit on their money like Brown did for Cinci throughout pretty much the entire 1990's..

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                    • Jul 2005

I'm done. I could justify offering KC very good value for LJ, and its easy to get excited about what he would do for our offense over the next three years, but combine the cost in picks and the cost in dollars, and I don't think there's any real chance this happens. It's been fun to talk about, but I'm going back to reality.
                    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

That's got to be at least five or six times today I've seen that Ralph is cheap.

Comment

• madness
                        • Apr 2003

I think it's great. The more buzz about LJ the more the Charger's asking price is driven down. Anybody else want to trade their stud RB?

Comment

• jmb1099
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by madness
                          I think it's great. The more buzz about LJ the more the Charger's asking price is driven down. Anybody else want to trade their stud RB?
                          I had that thought too. Turner's asking price could very well be much more reasonable at this point.

Comment

• Philagape
                            WIN NOW
                            • Jul 2002

What if the Bills meant what they said about cash to cap?
                            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
                            X