PDA

View Full Version : Larry Johnson quoted as saying "Buffalo a good fit."

HHURRICANE
04-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Heard the back side of this on Sirrius.

I have to say that I'm not sure I like this. Maybe I'm being a puss but it seems that in order to win in this new CBA league you need a lot of slighlty above average players vs. just a few stars.

Larry Johnson may hand cuff us for years to come. Look at what happened to the Islanders.

jamze132
04-25-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't really care how "handcuffed" we would be. Hell, you could hog tie me as long as I can here Larry scampering into the endzone.

The Spaz
04-25-2007, 02:30 PM
As great as he is we have to win fast because he is 28-29 years old.

BILLSROCK1212
04-25-2007, 02:31 PM
great point!!!!

bigbub2352
04-25-2007, 02:32 PM
He just turned 27

jamze132
04-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Who cares how old he is, he would fill up the Ralph 8 times for a couple of years.

jamesiscool
04-25-2007, 02:34 PM
he may be a little older but he's worth it, not THAT much tread on the tires besides the last 2 seasons and he would be an IDEAL fit in buffalo.

BILLSROCK1212
04-25-2007, 02:35 PM
He just turned 27
even greater point!!!! I'd say he has 6 great years left in him as long as he doesn't carry the load like he did last year

The Spaz
04-25-2007, 02:35 PM
He just turned 27

Still he was born in 1979 so it still is a factor. Will he still be a beast at 30? Seems to be 30 is the point wear backs start to have there tires go flat.

HHURRICANE
04-25-2007, 02:36 PM

He's 27!!!

The Spaz
04-25-2007, 02:39 PM
He's 27!!!

I'm sure he'll want a contract more than 3 years and like I stated we will be on the hook if he starts to take a **** when he reaches 30. I love L but just looking at this team in the future and how obtaining him would help and hurt us at the sametime.

jamze132
04-25-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm sure he'll want a contract more than 3 years and like I stated we will be on the hook if he starts to take a **** when he reaches 30. I love L but just looking at this team in the future and how obtaining him would help and hurt us at the sametime.
I understand your point, but sometimes you have to go against the grain. I say do what it takes to get him. I think he will provide much more to the organization in the long run than anyone can think right now.

Look at what happened to the Mets when they got Pedro Martinez. All the sudden it was the cool thing to do to join the mets. Yeah, I know it't two different sports with two different financial plans, but the point remains the same.

Bert102176
04-25-2007, 02:51 PM
heard on ESPN podcast he want's a 80 million $ deal with 30+ million gaurenteed that is part of why he could be dealt.

jamesiscool
04-25-2007, 02:52 PM
heard on ESPN podcast he want's a 80 million $ deal with 30+ million gaurenteed that is part of why he could be dealt.

if thats teh case **** that guy lol. hell no.

Michael82
04-25-2007, 02:53 PM
:drool:

jamze132
04-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Well rumor has it I can sell one of my nuts for $20,000 and I have two, so....

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 02:55 PM
I heard 60 million over 8 years, which actually isnt all that bad...

And damn he's ran for 37 rushing TD's in the past two years.. Have we scored 37 offensive touchdowns in the past two years?

HHURRICANE
04-25-2007, 02:57 PM
You have to ask yourself why the Chiefs wouldn't want to keep the 2nd best RB in the league? This is the equivalent of San Diego trading LT. The guy is only 27. He has at least 3-4 more good years.

I'm sorry but I'm thinking "pass."

Eric Dickerson and Hershel Walker come to mind and it wasn't the team that got him that was the winner!!!

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Anybody who doesnt want Larry Johnson on this football team deep down inside wants this team to never contend.

There is one RB in the NFL better than him, NONE more productive and he's one of the best 5 players in the league, period.. and he's only 27.

Mudflap1
04-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Once again you guys aren't connecting the dots...

If Larry Johnson was quoted on Sirius radio that Buffalo would be "a good fit" what does that tell you? That should tell you that Buffalo has already talked to his agent, and their range for a contract is within reach. This guy is all about money. He must feel Buffalo is going to pay him if he goes there.

Jon

HHURRICANE
04-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Anybody who doesnt want Larry Johnson on this football team deep down inside wants this team to never contend.

There is one RB in the NFL better than him, NONE more productive and he's one of the best 5 players in the league, period.. and he's only 27.

Yes, I want him. Just not sure for 60-80 million dollars. I think the Pats have something to the way they run thier team.

Larry doesn't guarantee a playoff berth either. The Chiefs didn't get that far with him.

HHURRICANE
04-25-2007, 03:06 PM

If Larry Johnson was quoted on Sirius radio that Buffalo would be "a good fit" what does that tell you? That should tell you that Buffalo has already talked to his agent, and their range for a contract is within reach. This guy is all about money. He must feel Buffalo is going to pay him if he goes there.

Jon

I have to agree that it all seemed like BS until I heard "good fit." I'm surprised that I'm not seeing more about this online.

Mudflap1
04-25-2007, 03:08 PM
F it. We need to make this trade. Sometimes you have to pay a premium to get over the hump and make your team better.

Jon

Devin
04-25-2007, 03:10 PM
KC had one of the best lines in football the past decade.

Johnson is only 27 but has taken an absolute POUNDING the past 2 seasons. Didnt he carry like 450 times last year?

60-80 million :rofl: The sad part is given the deals of Edge, willis, and LT 60 mil is probably about right for him hes not asking for to terribly much more then hes worth. I just dont see Ralph paying it. And if he does say goodbye to either lee evans or Losman.

Tons of talent and ability, i dont argue against that at all. I just think at the end of the day the cons outweight the pros.

No thanks.

Buffalo Sabres
04-25-2007, 03:11 PM
thanks to donahoe we gotta give up anything for him, **** you donahoe he could have been a beast for us for the last 4 ****ing years!

Buffalo Sabres
04-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Yes, I want him. Just not sure for 60-80 million dollars. I think the Pats have something to the way they run thier team.

Larry doesn't guarantee a playoff berth either. The Chiefs didn't get that far with him.i know that worked for them, but we're not the pats and we're not as good, so we gotta do something else to pass them.

Mudflap1
04-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Anybody who wouldn't want Johnson on this team as the tailback is crazy...

Jon

EDS
04-25-2007, 03:18 PM

Larry doesn't guarantee a playoff berth either. The Chiefs didn't get that far with him.

I tend to agree but it is tempting. I am scared to think what it will take to get him (and consequently how bad the defense is going to be without draft picks to plug the holes).

boobynugget
04-25-2007, 03:23 PM
You have to ask yourself why the Chiefs wouldn't want to keep the 2nd best RB in the league? This is the equivalent of San Diego trading LT. The guy is only 27. He has at least 3-4 more good years.

I'm sorry but I'm thinking "pass."

Eric Dickerson and Hershel Walker come to mind and it wasn't the team that got him that was the winner!!!

He is a "me-first" player and has come out in the media several times with not so nice things to say about the organization, the city and fans. How would you feel if your star player alienated himself from the fanbase by making a few comments per year about not being able to relate to the fans because they don't understand him or why he has tattoos or whatever or take direct shots at people within the organization? I belive Buffalo just went through this with Willis, the only difference is that LJ is scoring almost 3 times more TDs per year, so it is tolerated.

I posted yesterday that I really like LJ as a RB, but if you give me A. Peterson and at least one good pick to load up on OL depth, I'd trade him in a second and not have to pay his huge salary.

L.A. Playa
04-25-2007, 03:23 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter confirms the Chiefs have had "general trade discussions" regarding Larry Johnson.
Kansas City has reportedly spoken with the Browns, Bills, Titans, and Packers, though the Chiefs deny that any of the talks have been "specific." We suspect the Chiefs are willing to deal Johnson for multiple picks, and not necessarily a first-rounder, to address their long list of needs

Devin
04-25-2007, 03:24 PM
He is a "me-first" player and has come out in the media several times with not so nice things to say about the organization, the city and fans. How would you feel if your star player alienated himself from the fanbase by making a few comments per year about not being able to relate to the fans because they don't understand him or why he has tattoos or whatever or take direct shots at people within the organization? I belive Buffalo just went through this with Willis, the only difference is that LJ is scoring almost 3 times more TDs per year, so it is tolerated.

I posted yesterday that I really like LJ as a RB, but if you give me A. Peterson and at least one good pick to load up on OL depth, I'd trade him in a second and not have to pay his huge salary.

Willis McGahee was our RB.....we can relate.

TedMock
04-25-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't think this is a bad move for Buffalo, but, as I stated in the other thread, I would approach with cautious optimism. He does have a lot of wear over the last two years and we've seen other backs who run "angry" and get a lot of carries fall quickly. I think he'd be great for 1-2 years, but could drop off soon after that. In the end, he would certainly sell tickets & give the offense instant credibility, and we could take a back later in the draft or in another draft.

As for KC - absolutely a good move for them. Because he's obviously not going to be around long-term and they have so many holes, it just makes sense to get as much as they can now and get the re-building under way.

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Pass. With all the holes we have. No thanks.

The past SB winners have won sb's without the top rb in the league. Think of it. the last sb winner won with a rookie rb. Granted they have arguably the best qb to help that ... that's still too much .

Philagape
04-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Anybody who wouldn't want Johnson on this team as the tailback is crazy...

Jon

Wanting him is irrelevant. I want Dwight Freeney, Antonio Gates and Torry Holt too, but it ain't gonna happen.

I'm not getting excited over rumors.

Dr. Lecter
04-25-2007, 03:29 PM

When you flash this attitude (if you disagree with me, then you don't want to win), don't wonder why people get pissed.

It is not a matter of not wanting him. It is a deal of not wanting him if the price (either financial or trade cost) means we sacrifice too much in other areas. A team is not built on the back of one player. Rather it is built ont he backs of several players.

Night Train
04-25-2007, 03:30 PM

Jon

Or it could be his agent pulling a Rosenhaus, drumming up interest for his client and little more.

Devin
04-25-2007, 03:31 PM
When you flash this attitude (if you disagree with me, then you don't want to win), don't wonder why people get pissed.

It is not a matter of not wanting him. It is a deal of not wanting him if the price (either financial or trade cost) means we sacrifice too much in other areas. A team is not built on the back of one player. Rather it is built ont he backs of several players.

Thank you. Its like this with everything with this guy.

I like LJ, but I am moreso looking at both what we give up now and what we give up in the long run.

Contrary to popular belief on this board the NFL isnt REALLY like a game of madden.

Philagape
If JP takes the next logical step to stardom, there is NO ONE I want to keep more than him and Evans.

Add that it's been proven that it's not essential to have a top-three RB to win, and that LJ has run behind a stellar line, and I'd be really hesitant to pay what he and the Chiefs will undoubtedly demand.

BidsJr
[QUOTE=Dr.Lecter]When you flash this attitude (if you disagree with me, then you don't want to win), don't wonder why people get pissed.

QUOTE]

Pat Moran < Tom Donahoe

justasportsfan

:bf1:

Bills4Life34
boy if we were to land LJ that would most def put us over the top, and open up the passing game more for evans, and the rest!

HHURRICANE
04-25-2007, 03:32 PM
You know, it's all pretty sickening to me. Teams having to dump players earlier than they should because of this new CBA. I actually feel sorry for the Chiefs.

NPL = National Players League

Buffalo Sabres
04-25-2007, 03:43 PM
You know, it's all pretty sickening to me. Teams having to dump players earlier than they should because of this new CBA. I actually feel sorry for the Chiefs.

NPL = National Players League
**** The Chiefs, Cheap Bastards!

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 03:45 PM
whatever the chiefs get for LJ, Herm is gonna grab a kicker. Man I wish he was still the jets coach.

evol4276
04-25-2007, 04:07 PM
so you guys want an unproven backup rb michael turner for at least a first or second plus some more picks, as well as a semi-large contract. You however don't want a rb who is maybe 2 years older, has actually had legitimate playing time, has proven to be a good rb and playmaker, would not require a 1st (if the statement was correct) but a bigger contract. I don't understand the logic on here sometimes. A lot of you want the quick fix, though when one comes around the quick fix is usually too much money or there is somehting about him that is not liked too much. SUPRISE! quick fixes normally dont come cheap! thats the idea of a quick fix.. pay the money for someone who can step in a do the job. If you're lucky enough you can pick up a guy via draft or f/a really cheap and make him work, but thats not what the most of you like to lean towards. I'm not sure how I would feel about this if it were true, which i doubt it to be, but I like this option TONS better than the Michael Turner option which still baffles me in the worship that kid still gets here.

camelcowboy
04-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Im sorry guys if willis is worth 7-40 million LJ is worth 8-60 million he's a great back in this league he's 27 and he didn't play the first couple years. I can't get on board that it wouldn't be a good move for this team. He has pro bowl talent, and he's worth the money.

HHURRICANE
04-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Im sorry guys if willis is worth 7-40 million LJ is worth 8-60 million he's a great back in this league he's 27 and he didn't play the first couple years. I can't get on board that it wouldn't be a good move for this team. He has pro bowl talent, and he's worth the money.

I'll tell you what I have no clue. Seriously. My head is spinning.

Looks very likely that both Patrick Willis and Adrian Peterson will be gone at #12. I think they are the only two players worth taking at #12. LJ is probably worth our #12 and 60 million but who knows.

Mitchy moo
04-25-2007, 04:59 PM
He just turned 27

:drool:

TigerJ
04-25-2007, 06:38 PM
It's not just Johnson's askingprice. It's KC's asking price too. LJ is good, very good, but you still have to balance that against the cost.

TacklingDummy
04-25-2007, 06:51 PM
And damn he's ran for 37 rushing TD's in the past two years.. Have we scored 37 offensive touchdowns in the past two years?

I think KCs O-Line may have something to do with that.

How's the Bills online been the past few years?

Sure the Bills added some O-linemen this Free Agency. That doesn't mean they will work out on the field.

Tatonka
04-25-2007, 07:08 PM
LJ is about to be on Late Hits on Siruis.. i wont be able to listen, but if someone could post what he says, that would be great.

Don't Panic
04-25-2007, 07:12 PM
I'd love to get it down to 7/$50... either way, this guy gives us a chance to compete at the highest level. We are not the Chiefs. The Chiefs haven't had a receiving threat outside of Tony G for decades. Plus, Losman can be better than Green ever was. Cap-wise, we have the room to do this (not cash to cap, but cap to cap) and lock up Evans and JP. We can get away with mid-range salaries on D (no "stars") and we can cut loose some of the dead weight on O (Reed or Price for example) when the time comes. Kind of hurts now that we overpaid Dockery and Walker, but it still can be done. Do you want to wallow in mediocrity or do you want a shot at the big time?

ParanoidAndroid
04-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Larry Johnson will not fix this team, but the players we draft using the multiple picks saved by not getting him could.

Not a good idea.

ublinkwescore
04-25-2007, 09:21 PM
He just turned 27

And didn't he have to wait until Priest Holmes got hurt before he started taking the NFL beatings?

Bill Brasky
04-25-2007, 09:23 PM
LJ is about to be on Late Hits on Siruis.. i wont be able to listen, but if someone could post what he says, that would be great.

anybody listen?

HHURRICANE
04-25-2007, 09:27 PM
anybody listen?

I have Sirrius in both my cars but my wife will kick my ass if I go out to the garage to listen!! I get enough **** about just blogging on here!!

Bill Brasky
04-25-2007, 09:38 PM
well if anybody was able to listen fill us in.

GarnOFreak
04-25-2007, 09:39 PM

So.....basically his is McGahee but with talent?

ublinkwescore
04-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Well rumor has it I can sell one of my nuts for $20,000 and I have two, so....

You throw in one night with Raven Riley, Nina Mercedez, Jessica Alba, and Vida Guerra, and I'm game.

camelcowboy
04-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Larry Johnson will not fix this team, but the players we draft using the multiple picks saved by not getting him could.

Not a good idea.Bull crap, a pro bowl running back behind a big offensive line will do this teams wonders. More of this every draft pick is gold crap. LJ should be paid because he's a great back. LJ over willis is a big upgrade.

ublinkwescore
04-25-2007, 09:48 PM

the chiefs don't exactly have a legitimate NFL coach either.

camelcowboy
04-25-2007, 09:50 PM
the chiefs don't exactly have a legitimate NFL coach either."You play to win the game"

GarnOFreak
04-25-2007, 09:53 PM
KC is probably taking the San Diego stance of "get something for him now, because even if we franchise him next year, no one is going to want to trade for him then with all the good RBs coming out in the draft" stance. Think about it.

The only thing I'm worried about is the question of whether or not he is a system back. KC has had one of the top 3-5 lines in the LEAGUE for the past decade. Even if our line is improved, we're not in their class.

All that said, 7 years at $80million with the back three years full loaded as high as they can go. $20 mill signing bonus and a few smaller roster bonuses plus incentives would work. The way the cap is surging... This guy has played two whole years as a starter(well actually not even two whole years) so it's like getting a 23/24 year old as far as wear and tear. It's not like we're picking up Curtis Martin or Marcus Allen in their second decade of the NFL.

Tatonka
04-25-2007, 10:51 PM
i guess no one caught the interview?

jamze132
04-26-2007, 03:15 AM

Jon
He will get paid wherever he goes.

Don't Panic
04-26-2007, 04:30 AM
The bottom line is, if Marv (and Ralph) think they can get him signed to a reasonabale deal and for a reasonable trade, he's ours. If not, he's not. We'll just have to wait and see.

bflojohn
04-26-2007, 11:44 AM
My question is this.... isn't Larry Johnson, right now, the quintessential Buffalo running back? I would say so, so another train of thought is "locking up" J.P. Losman and Lee Evans right? Well the cap will increase next year and doesn't Buffalo, with a surge of SOLDOUT games, garner the "trust fund monies" from our bigger breatheren? Extending JPL and LE becomes a easier proposition IF the Bills don't go "hog wild" in next years' meat market. Essentially, we spend the 2008 offseason keeping our own nucleus in place and following that up with lower level free agents (ala New England) and finding quality in Marv Levys' third draft. The concequence of trading for Larry Johnson are staggering in my humble opinion! Ball control, clock management, and pounding of the competition comes into play, in my view. Simply BETTER defense by way offense!! They will NOT be on the field nearly as much. Can't be scored on IF the opposition doesn't have the ball. With maturing players on the defensive side of the ball, maybe the finishing touches can STILL be addressed Saturday and Sunday! I say "go fot it " Marv!!!

jimbohastle51
04-26-2007, 12:12 PM
honestly we should give the house for johnson, if this team doesnt get something going soon i hate to say it but it will be even harder to keep the team in buffalo. a back like him can literaly carry the team, and put our new O Line to good use. imagine after a couple carries each game a 80 yard playaction bombs to lee evens, and every defense would bite! :)

THATHURMANATOR
04-26-2007, 12:16 PM

Jon
You have no way of confirming this.

THATHURMANATOR
04-26-2007, 12:17 PM
honestly we should give the house for johnson, if this team doesnt get something going soon i hate to say it but it will be even harder to keep the team in buffalo. a back like him can literaly carry the team, and put our new O Line to good use. imagine after a couple carries each game a 80 yard playaction bombs to lee evens, and every defense would bite! :)
No we shouldn't. While LJ is great he is a RB and they don't last very long at a high level. I am for trading for him but not overpaying.

jimbohastle51
04-26-2007, 12:22 PM
anothony thomas is no answer and jauron had one winning season in chicago so i wouldnt be putting all my chips on his opinion, and turner is a huge unkown as far as if he can really be a feature back, as well as almost every back in the draft after peterson and lynch, the all have injury issues or hardly any playing time in college (chris henry) or subpar workouts with average performance in college. dont get me wrong i when i said bet the house i didnt mean 10 million a year cap hit, i meant a first or swap of firsts and a second and forth or something like that, i am sure that he knows what his value is, not even edge got 10 mill a year garunteed. and remember he is a penn state guy and he woundnt be too far from his family. his dad is an assistant coach with penn state.

THATHURMANATOR
04-26-2007, 12:34 PM
anothony thomas is no answer and jauron had one winning season in chicago so i wouldnt be putting all my chips on his opinion, and turner is a huge unkown as far as if he can really be a feature back, as well as almost every back in the draft after peterson and lynch, the all have injury issues or hardly any playing time in college (chris henry) or subpar workouts with average performance in college. dont get me wrong i when i said bet the house i didnt mean 10 million a year cap hit, i meant a first or swap of firsts and a second and forth or something like that, i am sure that he knows what his value is, not even edge got 10 mill a year garunteed. and remember he is a penn state guy and he woundnt be too far from his family. his dad is an assistant coach with penn state.
Point is you don't trade away your future for a RB. I could live with giving up our first but no more than that.

Earthquake Enyart
04-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Personally, I think the A Train will be fine.

I'd rather have him start than Youboty.

ublinkwescore
04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
No we shouldn't. While LJ is great he is a RB and they don't last very long at a high level. I am for trading for him but not overpaying.

LT seems to be doing fine, and he's been doing this for what, 6 years now?

Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna see us overpay either, but I would like to see us land him - he is definitely a better option than Michael Turner in my book.

dolphan117
04-26-2007, 01:08 PM
This from PFT

PACKERS MAKING A PLAY FOR L.J.?
Scout.com is reporting that the Packers have offered a first-round pick and a fourth-round pick to the Chiefs for running back Larry Johnson.
If true, the report is a stunner. Packers G.M. Ted Thompson doesn't like to pay big money to strangers to the team, and it's going to take really big money to keep Johnson beyond 2007, the last year of his rookie deal.
And if an offer that big has been made to the Chiefs for Johnson's rights, the Packers surely have reached a tentative agreement with Johnson's agent on a long-term deal. Otherwise, the Packers would be picking up Johnson for only one season before having to either use the franchise tag or let him walk away.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

dolphan117
04-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Personally not sure I believe it as a first a 4th on top of the monster contract they would have to give him is just to much to give up IMO. When the Seahawks dangled Alexander they couldn't even get a second.

dolphan117
04-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Now they say this

RUMOR OF GREEN BAY OFFER FOR L.J. IS OFF THE MARK

Though we've never seen a rumor that we didn't want to monger, we've learned based on discussions with league insiders and via the application of common sense that the Packers have not offered a first-round pick and a fourth-round pick to the Chiefs for running back Larry Johnson.

As we suggested in our short blurb regarding the Scout.com report that an offer is on the table, the deal makes no sense unless the Packers have in place a long-term deal with Johnson. But a league source tells us that no permission has been given by Johnson to talk to other teams; thus, if any discussions have occurred, it would be an obvious violation of the tampering rules.

Though it's not becoming more common for a trade to be worked out contingent on the new team and the player working out a contract, there's no way that the Packers and Johnson would get together on a long-term contract before Saturday, even if a trade deal were done right now between the teams. The Chiefs are quietly shopping Johnson due in part to the reality that he wants a deal worth more than the contract signed by 2006 MVP LaDainian Tomlinson before the salary cap spike of the past two seasons. There's no way that Packers G.M. Ted Thompson will ever agree to that.

Nor should he. Running backs are largely interchangeable. Unless a team has a chance to land the next Barry Sanders or Jim Brown, there's no reason to pay huge money to a player who is at any given moment an awkward hit away from becoming just a guy.

Larry Johnson is currently one of the best running backs in the NFL, but he's not one of the best ever. If he was, the Chiefs wouldn't be shopping him.

Dollar for dollar, the Packers would be far smarter to take their chances at No. 16 on Marshawn Lynch, or in a later round on someone else.