PDA

View Full Version : Bills' chances of drafting Willis getting slimmer

Don't Panic
04-26-2007, 04:25 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/04/bills_chances_of_drafting_will.html

As of now, it looks like Willis could go anywhere from the fourth selection to the 11th. Tampa Bay, which is at No. 4, isn't necessarily a probability, but Jon Gruden was impressed by Willis as the opposing coach at January's Senior Bowl, and the Buccaneers are in dire need of a middle linebacker. Nevertheless, if Calvin Johnson falls to the Bucs, he'll likely be the pick.
In the event that Willis drops past Tampa, it looks like he'll slide down past the next six teams -- Arizona, Washington, Minnesota, Atlanta, Miami and Houston -- all of which have other needs. However, there is no guarantee a team from outside the top 10 won't swoop in and draft Willis. Denver, for instance, is rumored to be interested in Willis, and the Broncos could climb from No. 22 to 10 to get him.
If Willis is still available at 11, the Bills' dream of selecting him will probably end. The <ACRONYM title="San Francisco 49ers News">San Francisco 49ers</ACRONYM> are reportedly enamored with him, and Niners head coach Mike Nolan and assistant Mike Singletary -- both of whom coached Willis at the Senior Bowl -- came away incredibly impressed with the linebacker. In that North-South college all-star game, by the way, Willis made 11 tackles and was the player of the game for Nolan's team, the South.

The worst thing that might have happened to us was when they asked Nolan to coach his team in the Senior Bowl. He goes on to mention that Beason is a quality pick and gives his mock:

12.) <ACRONYM title="Buffalo Bills News">Buffalo Bills</ACRONYM> - Jon Beason, LB, Miami. When the offseason's draft speculation began, Beason was considered an early pick in the second round. Since, though, he's drawn enough interest from impressed NFL franchises to become a potential top-15 pick. Buffalo has rid itself of two starting linebackers from last year -- London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes -- so common sense says it will grab a young replacement for the future. The 237-pound Beason, who projects as an outside linebacker in the pros, has one very important trait for the Bills' Tampa 2: He's outstanding in coverage.

Unlike many other "experts", he identifies our scheme as being justification for the pick. What a concept...

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/04/nfl-mockdraft-fourteamswheelanddeal260407.html

don137
04-26-2007, 06:04 AM
I truly think Beason is the choice unless AP falls. His only knock is he is 6'0" yet that is only 1 or 2 inches shorter than Willis and Poz.
He is a cover 2 LB thus it makes sense.

Don't Panic
04-26-2007, 06:58 AM
I just hope we get him lower than #12 if he is the choice. last year's Whitner thinking puts a lot of doubt to that idea, though.

X-Era
04-26-2007, 07:03 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/04/bills_chances_of_drafting_will.html

The worst thing that might have happened to us was when they asked Nolan to coach his team in the Senior Bowl. He goes on to mention that Beason is a quality pick and gives his mock:

Unlike many other "experts", he identifies our scheme as being justification for the pick. What a concept...

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/04/nfl-mockdraft-fourteamswheelanddeal260407.html

Screw that, draft Lynch and then move back into the 1st for Poz or Beason

alohabillsfan
04-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Buffalo will draft Lynch unless they trade down and he is not available.

justasportsfan
04-26-2007, 08:00 AM
"Buffalo has rid itself of two starting linebackers from last year -- London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes -- so common sense says it will grab a young replacement for the future."

Was Whitner a common sense pick last year? Two more days ......

patmoran2006
04-26-2007, 08:53 AM
If they want Willis bad enough, they can move up 2-3 spots to get him.

Carlton Bailey
04-26-2007, 09:23 AM
If they want Willis bad enough, they can move up 2-3 spots to get him.

The writer's mock has San Fran switching picks w/ Houston to block the Bills from getting Willis.

patmoran2006
04-26-2007, 09:26 AM
I know..

Im just saying if we REALLY want him we have the ammo to get him.

Carlton Bailey
04-26-2007, 09:29 AM
I know..

Im just saying if we REALLY want him we have the ammo to get him.

Who would we trade up with, though? Houston, maybe.

THATHURMANATOR
04-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I truly think Beason is the choice unless AP falls. His only knock is he is 6'0" yet that is only 1 or 2 inches shorter than Willis and Poz.
He is a cover 2 LB thus it makes sense.
Why is it important to be a couple inches taller as a LB? Why would it even matter at all?

HHURRICANE
04-26-2007, 09:47 AM
If the Bills want Willis they need to go to #10 to get him. Period.

I'm sick of Players out of the U so Beason seems like a waste of a pick to me considering we just got rid of "Mr. High-motor, undersized".

Don't Panic
04-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Beason isn't THAT undersized. Fletcher was 5'9"... that's small. Beason's size is fine, especially for our scheme. Plus, he doesn't come of as being a "U" player. I've heard more good than bad about his character. I don't want to trade up for Willis... either he falls to us or we trade down for Beason. Too many needs to be trading up.

Carlton Bailey
04-26-2007, 09:57 AM
I like Beason a lot. I think he'll be good on the weak side with Crowell in the middle. I'm not wild about Ellison, but he's decent.