PDA

View Full Version : Kiper vs. Mayock (SI.com)

gr8slayer
04-26-2007, 08:15 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/richard_deitsch/04/24/mayock.kiper/index.html

Even those who ply their trade in the comparison business are occasionally subject to comparisons. Just don't expect Mel Kiper Jr. and Mike Mayock, the NFL draft television gurus of the moment, to file a scouting report on each other. "The comparisons are ridiculous," says Kiper, who has covered the NFL draft for ESPN since 1984. "Mike does what he does, and he does it the way he does it. I do it the way I do it. Zillions of others do it the way they do it. I don't have anything negative to say about anybody out there who puts out a draft report or covers the draft. They are obviously working hard. To see Mike Mayock and other people out there, I applaud that. I applaud that Mike Mayock is in the business.''

"Right around this time last year everybody wanted to pit me against Mel,'' says Mayock, who joined the NFL Network in 2005. "I guess that's a natural thing for the media and fans to do. Mel has a much bigger stage at this point than I do. Here's what I respect about Mel: I respect for 20-something years, when the seventh round of the draft hits and Jo Jo The Dog Face Boy From XYZ College gets picked, he still knows every stat off the top of his head.''

We're not sure where Jo Jo is slotted this year but we know where Kiper and Mayock will be this weekend:The NFL Network and ESPN will air 72 hours of draft coverage from Radio City Music Hall over two days. Below, we preview the prognosticators:

For my money, I'll take Mayock.

Earthquake Enyart
04-26-2007, 08:17 AM
No way Jo Jo The Dog Face Boy slips into round 7.

justasportsfan
04-26-2007, 08:25 AM
they were interviewing Aj Smith on NFLN the other and he said something like "we'll be drinking, eating and watching ESPN (in the draft room ) on draft day".

ESPN plug on NFLN :oops:

Eisen said " NFLN will be covering the draft too on draft day".

gr8slayer
04-26-2007, 08:27 AM
I'd watch NFLN myself but ESPN will be in HD.

justasportsfan
04-26-2007, 08:28 AM
I'd watch NFLN myself but ESPN will be in HD. so you'll be getting wrong/clueless info about the bills in HD?

Ickybaluky
04-26-2007, 08:30 AM
No way Jo Jo The Dog Face Boy slips into round 7.

I'd be surprised. He carries a first round grade, don'tcha' know.

gr8slayer
04-26-2007, 08:32 AM
so you'll be getting wrong/clueless info about the bills in HD?
Basically.......

justasportsfan
04-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Basically.......
they probably think that Marv is our coach and the Kelly is still our qb.

PIZ
04-26-2007, 08:37 AM
they were interviewing Aj Smith on NFLN the other and he said something like "we'll be drinking, eating and watching ESPN (in the draft room ) on draft day".

ESPN plug on NFLN :oops:

Eisen said " NFLN will be covering the draft too on draft day".

I saw that. AJ is a moron. Makes you realize what kind of a guy Marv is dealing with.

gr8slayer
04-26-2007, 08:37 AM
they probably think that Marv is our coach and the Kelly is still our qb.
And that McGahee is a HOFer.

Hey, at least Berman will be doing it too.

Gunzlingr
04-26-2007, 08:42 AM
When do the festivities start on ESPN (I don't get NFLN)

gr8slayer
04-26-2007, 08:51 AM
When do the festivities start on ESPN (I don't get NFLN)
11 Central Time

JJamezz
04-26-2007, 09:09 AM
NFLN was a little painful to watch last year, although nowhere near as painful as their game coverage.. but I just can't bring myself to watch Mortensen and friends rip on every Bills pick, offseason move.. Marv's interior design choices, the brand of the new Jumbotron... it never ends.

Strangely enough, I've never had much of a problem with Kiper... but then, Madden doesn't bother me either, so I'm probably in the minority there..

Ickybaluky
04-26-2007, 09:27 AM
NFLN was a little painful to watch last year, although nowhere near as painful as their game coverage..

Last year was the first year they did the draft. This year, their pre-draft coverage has been better than ESPN and a marked improvment over their coverage of a year ago. I expect they will cover the draft better this year.

The Spaz
04-26-2007, 10:31 AM
I like them both!:love::lol:

Jeff1220
04-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Kiper doesn't really bother me. He knows prospects, but so does Mayock, and Mayock is a lot more interesting to listen to. Aside from being a more animated personality, Mayock was an NFL player, which gives him that much more credibility

JJamezz
04-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Last year was the first year they did the draft. This year, their pre-draft coverage has been better than ESPN and a marked improvment over their coverage of a year ago. I expect they will cover the draft better this year.

Yep, and the first year for live game coverage as well - I too expect both to improve a lot this year.

Don't Panic
04-26-2007, 11:22 AM
I'll be flipping back and forth, but when the Bills pick, you have to be on ESPN to hear from Berman's cab driver before they announce it.

Pinkerton Security
04-26-2007, 11:28 AM
i wish i had nfln

:cry: