PDA

View Full Version : Coaches To Scouts: "We Need This"

gr8slayer
04-26-2007, 10:36 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?NEWS_ID=4721

Last year it was obvious that the new Bills coaching staff put a premium on the safety position as Donte Whitner was their first pick in the 2006 NFL Draft with the eighth overall selection.

Surprising as it may have been to some, Buffalo's scouting department recognized Whitner as just what the coaching staff was after. In Buffalo's new defensive scheme they needed a strong safety that could not only fill the hole in the run game, but also have the ability to cover a third or fourth receiver if necessary.

It was all part of the criteria breakdown that the coaching staff gives the scouts in terms of what type of players they're looking for at specific positions.

On defense for example, Buffalo needs linebackers that can play in space. Being off the line they don't need a strong side linebacker that can grind with a tight end. They'd prefer to have a more athletic player that can fly to the football.

Armed with a detailed description of the kinds of players the offensive and defensive coaches covet, Buffalo's scouts can more effectively peg prospects that fit the criteria.

patmoran2006
04-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Sounds like Willis or Beason for SURE to me.

POS falls into the more "grinding" type. I think he'd be real good for a 3-4 team.. But playing in space, that's something Beason excels at, and especially Willis.

And BTW, I like Rufus Alexander A LOT for this defense. Even if we go LB in round one if Rufus is on board in round three hope we take him to

Earthquake Enyart
04-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Coy Wire

camelcowboy
04-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Rufus Alexander

Don't Panic
04-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Sounds like Willis or Beason for SURE to me.

POS falls into the more "grinding" type. I think he'd be real good for a 3-4 team.. But playing in space, that's something Beason excels at, and especially Willis.

And BTW, I like Rufus Alexander A LOT for this defense. Even if we go LB in round one if Rufus is on board in round three hope we take him to

Agreed on every point.