X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

If we draft Leon Hall, the Youboty pick last year is a complete waste

Several mocks now have us drafting Leon Hall (CB; MICH), including Rick Gosselin's latest mock.

With the rumors that Willis may be gone by 12, this may be a possibility.

And if it happens, I'll be totally pissed because that would mean we completely and totally wasted our 3rd round pick last year by drafting Ashton Youboty.

The whole point of drafting Youboty when we did was because we knew Clements was probably gone after 2006 and wanted to get a head-start on at least developing his replacement. Get Youboty in the system for a year and he can be a little more seasoned when it comes time to replace Nate (NOW!).

If we draft Hall, it would be for the same reason....to offset the loss of Clements. That would mean a 3rd round pick - plus an entire year of developing him both physically and mentally - would be a completely wasted.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • L.A. Playa
    • Aug 2003

Re: If we draft Leon Hall, the Youboty pick last year is a complete waste

Originally posted by Coach Sal
    Several mocks now have us drafting Leon Hall (CB; MICH), including Rick Gosselin's latest mock.

And if it happens, I'll be totally pissed because that would mean we completely and totally wasted our 3rd round pick last year by drafting Ashton Youboty.

The whole point of drafting Youboty when we did was because we knew Clements was probably gone after 2006 and wanted to get a head-start on at least developing his replacement. Get Youboty in the system for a year and he can be a little more seasoned when it comes time to replace Nate (NOW!).

If we draft Hall, it would be for the same reason....to offset the loss of Clements. That would mean a 3rd round pick - plus an entire year of developing him both physically and mentally - would be a completely wasted.
    why would it be ??? Mc Gee looked like crap last year and probably is really no better than a nickle or dime back in the NFL, the Bills starting CB's could be Hall and Youboty if Hall is drafted

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

Hall is terrible, in my opinion. I like Revis, because he can be an ideal replacement for Clements with his size and physicality.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Would it be a complete waste if Youboty becomes a solid Nickel back? 3rd round corners are never a guarantee to be a good starter.

Comment

• Dont drink the water
          • Oct 2005

This just means they are attacking the offense with speed rotating CBs to keep them fresh not necessarily a bad pick if both players can play well.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
            Pinkerton's son
            • Feb 2006

i dont want to draft leon hall. period. but it would not be a waste of the youboty pick. if that if your reasoning, then picking okoye or branch would be 10 times worse since we are more deep at that position AND we drafted a DT in the first AND 5th rounds last year.

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

I will bet 500 ZBs we don't draft a CB anywhere in the 1st round.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by L.A. Playa
                why would it be ??? Mc Gee looked like crap last year and probably is really no better than a nickle or dime back in the NFL, the Bills starting CB's could be Hall and Youboty if Hall is drafted
                McGee didn't have as good of an 06 as he did an 05, I agree, but rookie corners don't come in and make huge impacts as starters, either.

If you take the position that Hall is right now better than McGee, then the move would make more sense if it happened.

But I don't believe that. And I certainly don't feel comfortable having a rookie and a 2nd year player (who barely played last year in game situations) starting at both CB spots.

In fact, I'd rather have Kiwaukee Thomas start over Hall if it wasn't mcGee there.
                Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• madness
                  • Apr 2003

I agree, plus our secondary is pretty thin as it is. We have to remember no position is taken for granted with this coaching staff.

Coach, I doubt we draft Hall but which would you feel more comfortable with?

McGee w/ Youboty and Thomas fighting for the other spot?

or...

McGee, Youboty, Thomas and Hall/rookie all fighting for both spots?

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

I've been saying the same thing for weeks.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

What he said

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

at 12, we need a player who will be an improvement for us starting in Week 1 of 2007. CB's are unlikely to do that- it takes them time to adjust to the speed of the NFL. Will Leon Hall be better than McGee? Maybe, but not on Week 1 of 2007.

Combine that with all the other holes we have and the fact that McGee showed a lot of promise in 2005 (although had a setback last year), and drafting a corner doesn't seem like such a bright idea. Plus Hall is overrated.

Don't get me wrong- McGee on one side with Youboty/Thomas on the other makes me nervous, but throwing Hall into that mix doesn't make me any less nervous. We'd be much better off using the 12 on a stud RB or LB (IMO preferably LB).
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• MarvLevy
                          Can I get some power to give REP?
                          • Jul 2005

trade down...bottom line!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            at 12, we need a player who will be an improvement for us starting in Week 1 of 2007. CB's are unlikely to do that- it takes them time to adjust to the speed of the NFL. Will Leon Hall be better than McGee? Maybe, but not on Week 1 of 2007.

Combine that with all the other holes we have and the fact that McGee showed a lot of promise in 2005 (although had a setback last year), and drafting a corner doesn't seem like such a bright idea. Plus Hall is overrated.

Don't get me wrong- McGee on one side with Youboty/Thomas on the other makes me nervous, but throwing Hall into that mix doesn't make me any less nervous. We'd be much better off using the 12 on a stud RB or LB (IMO preferably LB).
                            Winfield and Clements started and played well their rookie years.

NEXT.

Comment

• don137
                              • Jul 2002

Marv said all along this off season they will address the run and stoppng the run. As a result doing anything else in the first two rounds would not make sense since they need a RB and a LB badly.

Comment

Working...
                              X