PDA

View Full Version : Draft isn't a mockery ... but parts of it sure are

Don't Panic
04-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Perfect read for this time of year. Gene would fit in perfectly around here!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2848328&sportCat=nfl

My favorites:

With the No. 2 selection, I mock ... mock drafts.
Tango stiff Clyde Drexler had a better chance of winning "Dancing With The Stars" than NFL experts have of predicting the NFL draft. I'm not naming names, but one expert missed 24 of 32 first-round picks in last year's draft. Another one whiffed on 25 of 32 selections. Why? Because figuring out the inner workings of the draft is like trying to pick up a bead of water with oven mittens.

With the No. 24 selection, I mock ... post-selection interviews with team officials.
Just once I'd like to hear this:
Boomer: "Well, Coach, I take it you're thrilled with your pick in the first round?" Coach: "To be completely honest, he's a pig with lipstick. But what can I do? My owner, who made a fortune selling Mary Kay products, thinks he knows more about football than our entire scouting department. So instead of taking the left tackle we had rated No. 1 on our board, Bill Walsh Jr. here made us draft an intramural quarterback from DeVry Institute. Said he had good measurables."

With the No. 27 selection, I mock ... all those casual NFL fans who will become outraged if Central Michigan OT Joe Staley is chosen after Auburn guard Ben Grubbs.
Be honest, you've never watched 11 seconds of Staley or Grubbs.