PDA

View Full Version : Kiper says draft is weak at LB

OpIv37
04-27-2007, 08:24 AM
I know no one here really cares what Mel Kiper thinks, but he said this morning that after Patrick Willis, this draft is weak at LB.

A) Is he right?
B) If he is right, what do we do about our horrendous LB situation if we can't get Willis at 12?
C) Is there any indication that the Bills' FO feels the same way about the LB's and will trade up for Willis?

patmoran2006
04-27-2007, 08:27 AM
He's right (overall)

However, it is a stronger LB draft overall for the teams that run a cover two defense.

That withstanding, if all things are equal they better ****ing find a way to get Patrick Willis over a CB.. It's senseless to not land the top LB when its our weakest spot in order to take a corner 12th overall in a cover two base.

gr8slayer
04-27-2007, 08:49 AM
I say Kiper is weak in the brain.

Mayock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kiper

OpIv37
04-27-2007, 08:50 AM
I say Kiper is weak in the brain.

Mayock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kiper

well what did Mayock say?

BTW, Mayock isn't automatically a draft genius just because he got the Whitner pick right last year.

gr8slayer
04-27-2007, 08:52 AM

BTW, Mayock isn't automatically a draft genius just because he got the Whitner pick right last year.
No, I was honestly not even aware he had gotten that right until a couple weeks ago.

Mayock IMO just has more credibility, hell NFLN has more credibility than does ESPN as a whole.

patmoran2006
04-27-2007, 08:56 AM
I love the way everybody just blasts Kiper instead of offering their own view on the question asked about if this is a weak overall LB corp.

SquishDaFish
04-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Thats funny because just now on Mike and Mike that had Todd McShay on who is an ESPN scout and he said this draft is deep at LB and short on TEs lol

patmoran2006
04-27-2007, 09:05 AM
I think the draft is deeper at LB for the Bills and cover two teams more than 3-4, 4-3 based defensive teams.

Carlton Bailey
04-27-2007, 09:06 AM

No, Mayock is a genius because he's the most accurate draft prognosticator there is. This is a guy who called Aaron Rodgers to Green Bay in 2005, like, two months before the draft. I thought he was smoking crack at that point, but sure enough, Rodgers is a Packer.

I just wish I still had NFL Network so I can listen to objective, correct analysis instead of the horrible crew at ESPN.

gr8slayer
04-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Not everyone has an insider in every teams locker room like you do Pat :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
04-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Not everyone has an insider in every teams locker room like you do Pat :rolleyes:
actually, we also have access to his sources. Just go to bb.com and click on Chris Browns blog and then run back here and start a thread . Just make sure to say, "my sources" . :up:

patmoran2006
04-27-2007, 09:10 AM
LMAO.. who cares about Kiper or Mayock for that matter..

Is this a weak LB class or not?

Saratoga Slim
04-27-2007, 09:11 AM
I think the draft is deeper at LB for the Bills and cover two teams more than 3-4, 4-3 based defensive teams.

probably true--at least for the WLB types. 2nd or 3rd round guys like Rufus Alexander or Justin Durant are undersized by very fast and great in coverage. Not sure its that deep for the MLB or SLB position, which require speed and cover skills but a little more bulk as well. I.e. we can definately get another (maybe even a better) Ellison in the 2nd or 3rd, but can we find someone who can help us in the run game?

patmoran2006
04-27-2007, 09:13 AM
actually, we also have access to his sources. Just go to bb.com and click on Chris Browns blog and then run back here and start a thread . Just make sure to say, "my sources" . :up:
ya must be bored today, thats FOUR threads now where you fail to even mention a word about the topic started (no surprise) and resort to that crap.. It's just you being you, trying to pick apart EVERY thread with your personal non-sense.. I have no said a WORD to you that doesnt have to do with the topic directly.. You're just trying to start trouble out of boredom and ignorance.

you talk a lot of ****.. Find me a thread where that happened ONCE and make sure you check the TIMES on who posted what first..

UNtil then <CLICK>

camelcowboy
One potentially great backer, then you have a bunch of good but weak in certain area backers. Pat is right the skill sets do favor and cover 2 backers. But i disagree in the since they're is alot of 3-4 outside rush backers because its a deep de class.

gr8slayer
Sweet. I'm going to start saying "my sources indicate" from here on in every time I start a thread.

TedMock
04-27-2007, 09:14 AM
It's both weak and deep, depending on how you look at it. Realisitcally there is only one "stud" in the bunch and that's Willis - that's why it could be considered a weak crop. After that you have a bunch of guys who fit into certain systems. Guys who could shine in the right systems, but become unknowns in the wrong system. There are alot of guys who will be good value picks in rounds 2-4 which is why it's a deep crop. Beason and Poz will most likely be low first to early 2nd rounders. Then you have a GREAT run stuffer in in David Harris if that's what you need. You also have your Timmons', Buster Davis', Siler's, Durant's, Shaw's, etc. etc.

I personally feel that if you're looking for quick, undersized guys, for e.g. the Bills & Colts, you have more options.

patmoran2006
04-27-2007, 09:15 AM
probably true--at least for the WLB types. 2nd or 3rd round guys like Rufus Alexander or Justin Durant are undersized by very fast and great in coverage. Not sure its that deep for the MLB or SLB position, which require speed and cover skills but a little more bulk as well. I.e. we can definately get another (maybe even a better) Ellison in the 2nd or 3rd, but can we find someone who can help us in the run game?
Slow down.. Your actually talking about what the thread is supposed to be about and didnt take a single potshot at Kiper!

ParanoidAndroid
04-27-2007, 09:50 AM
I think there is a significant dropoff after Willis, Beason, Timmons and Poz. After the 1st round, where these guys should go, there is a bit of a gap. There are no OLB's and only one ILB (Siler) worth a 2nd IMO.
I would call that weak, but the upside of some of those receiving the lower draft grades, like Quincy Black, Stephen Nicholas, Justin Durant and Rufus Alexander is awfully tempting on day 1.

Mr. Miyagi
04-27-2007, 10:16 AM
After Willis, there's still Beason. IMO the dropoff is very very small.

After those two, the drop off is much bigger, all the way down to Posluszny, then you go from there.

Philagape
04-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Since we need an immediate full-time starter, you have to measure by that standard. IMO, based on what I've read, Willis, Beason and Poz are the only ones who can do that. Anyone else, and I'd be really concerned about our defense.

Billsrock4life
04-27-2007, 01:58 PM
He is right about this there isnt that much at LB at all

DraftBoy
04-27-2007, 02:05 PM
No this draft is not weak at LB, and you can easily find starters (yes even for this year). Here are the players who could start this year for this team and many other NFL teams:

1 Willis
2 Beason
3 Pos
4 Harris
5 Durant
6 DeOssie
7 Blades
8 Davis
9 Siler
10 Black
11 Timmons
12 Bradeley
13 Nicholas
14 Everett
15 Alexander
16 Johnson

Im sorry but when you have 16 LB's (all IMO of course) who could start at some point this season and contribute then that is not a weak LB class whatsoever. And Id be willing to defend any of those guys to anybody.

Michael82
04-27-2007, 02:09 PM
No this draft is not weak at LB, and you can easily find starters (yes even for this year). Here are the players who could start this year for this team and many other NFL teams:

1 Willis
2 Beason
3 Pos
4 Harris
5 Durant
6 DeOssie
7 Blades
8 Davis
9 Siler
10 Black
11 Timmons
12 Bradeley
13 Nicholas
14 Everett
15 Alexander
16 Johnson

Im sorry but when you have 16 LB's (all IMO of course) who could start at some point this season and contribute then that is not a weak LB class whatsoever. And Id be willing to defend any of those guys to anybody.
Thanks man! I always thought this draft was deep at LB too. There are a bunch of stars and some very solid ones too. :up: