• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

OK, Devin, answer me this...

You are a big LSU fan, so...

JaMarcus Russell is being tabbed as the next John Elway for his physical skills, but why wasn't LSU playing for a national championship with him at QB? It seems to me he had a ton of talent around him, but he didn't do any better there than Rohan Davey in terms of winning.

Seriously, for all the talk about his strong arm, do you think LSU would be a better team last year with Brady Quinn at QB? I think they would have played for a National Championship.
  • clumping platelets

Re: OK, Devin, answer me this...

Easy answer

Comment

• Bulldog
      Top Dog
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by NE39
      You are a big LSU fan, so...

JaMarcus Russell is being tabbed as the next John Elway for his physical skills, but why wasn't LSU playing for a national championship with him at QB? It seems to me he had a ton of talent around him, but he didn't do any better there than Rohan Davey in terms of winning.

Seriously, for all the talk about his strong arm, do you think LSU would be a better team last year with Brady Quinn at QB? I think they would have played for a National Championship.
      Question for you NE39. I don't know how much you follow ND, but why is it that Quinn looked like a better QB during his junior year than he did this year? Did Stovall really mean that much to that offense? If I had to guess, I would say that Quinn will bust before Russell does. Quinn looked very confused during that LSU game last year. Wait until he sees what an NFL caliber defense can bring. Maybe I'm way off, but Quinn didn't impress me at all this year.
      Last edited by Bulldog; 04-27-2007, 12:27 PM.
      I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
        • Jun 2005

Quinn is going to have a better and more sucessful career IMHO. Russell had more talent around him and the Bowl game Quinn had to face a much better D then Russell did.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Bulldog
          Question for you NE39. I don't know how much you follow ND, but why is it that Quinn looked like a better QB during his junior year than he did this year? Did Stovall really mean that much to that offense? If I had to guess, I would say that Quinn will bust before Russell does. Quinn looked very confused during that LSU game last year. Wait until he sees whan an NFL caliber defense can bring. Maybe I'm way off, but Quinn didn't impress me at all this year.
          They lost more than just Stovall. They lost Anthony Fasano and Dan Stevenson as well, which is 3 offensive starters. It isn't like he was dreadful last year, he played well.

Do you think Notre Dame's talent was comparable to LSU's? Why is it that Russell was not able to do any better than Rohan Davey or Matt Mauck despite having a crapload of talent.

I'm sorry, that LSU squad was loaded. IMO, Quinn didn't have nearly the talent around him.

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

I dont think Russell has the football mind of some of the more recently successful QB's Palmer, Leinhart Young.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• feelthepain
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Bulldog
              Question for you NE39. I don't know how much you follow ND, but why is it that Quinn looked like a better QB during his junior year than he did this year? Did Stovall really mean that much to that offense? If I had to guess, I would say that Quinn will bust before Russell does. Quinn looked very confused during that LSU game last year. Wait until he sees whan an NFL caliber defense can bring. Maybe I'm way off, but Quinn didn't impress me at all this year.
              2005 stats: Brady Quinn

200511-11405*263*7.6493633*32*80

2006 stats: Brady Quinn

All Games134672893426737146.65

2005 stats: Jamarcus Russell

12 188 311 2443 60.5% 15 9

2006 stats: Jamarcus Russell

All Games133422323129828167.03

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

GM's and owners are too obsessed with athletic ability these days. It's a question of what type of QB you want. Do you want a physical specimen of a QB or a QB that can masterfully manage the game? I'll take the latter every time.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by MBBedard
                  I dont think Russell has the football mind of some of the more recently successful QB's Palmer, Leinhart Young.
                  i'll agree that leinart and palmer were poised and knew how to play, but without his legs, VY would bea middle of the road player. He may make some big plays, but passing-wise, he was much worse than the oft-maligned JP last year.

Plus his wonderlic scores kindof shook my confidence in his smarts....

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                    • Jun 2005

Russell = Mirer . Quinn is going to be a very good QB because of his smarts and how to run the game.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                      • Feb 2005

Quinn > Russell

Comment

• Devin
                        The Octagon
                        • Apr 2003

The LSU defense was no doubt pretty steady, Russell had solid but not great WR's around him and the LSU ground game was pretty bad.

A lot of people will argue that Russell actually made Bowe and Doucet and Davis better.

Russell is unfairly compared to previous flops, id give an explanation why but I dont know why. Its primarily made by the casual fans. No analyst, coach or gm would ever say that. You dont become the#1 pick by chance. But tis the nature of fandom I suppose. Thats why we post here.

Brady Quinn does nothing but choke in big games and its Russell who will be the worst QB? Right.

Apart from his monsterous size and athleticism he generally has made pretty good decisions with the ball and has steadily improved every year hes played. Russell is plain and simple a NFL QB, even apart his physical tools hes the stereotypical "field general".

As to your question its tough to tell. LSU plays in a very tough conference, Russell is by no means infalible but hes never had a standout WR to go to. Basically in short I believe the past 2 years at LSU even for all thier winning Russell has made those around him better rather then vice versa.

I think a better question maybe why is it Quinn is supposed to be a better qb? What possible reason is thier that Russell will fail and quinn wont?
                        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Devin
                          The LSU defense was no doubt pretty steady, Russell had solid but not great WR's around him and the LSU ground game was pretty bad.

A lot of people will argue that Russell actually made Bowe and Doucet and Davis better.
                          Bowe and Davis both ended up as first round picks.

Meanwhile, Darius Walker and Rhema McKnight aren't even drafted.

Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                          X