PDA

View Full Version : Best Player Available in a position of need....

OpIv37
04-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Here's how I see it: This team has 3 glaring needs: CB, LB and RB, and several positions that could use an upgrade, most notably TE and #2 WR.

Now, teams with that many needs don't have the luxury of going best player available (BPA)- they have to consider team needs. But in a sense, this worked to Buffalo's advantage- we got to pick the BPA in the 3 positions where we have the biggest need.

With Willis off the board, Beason or especially Poz would have been a huge reach at 12. Hall is overrated (a lot of draft gurus missed this but the NFL scouts didn't) and Revis would have been a bit of a reach as well.

So, Marv filled the position with the BPA at RB because the BPA's at LB and CB would not have been good value for the 12th pick.

I'm still very concerned about the LB position and would like to see a trade up to grab Beason, Poz or Harris, but I think Marv handled the first pick well.

raphael120
04-28-2007, 03:07 PM
If we get Beason, Poz, or Harris, I think we will be on the road to recovery. At least this year I recognized out first picks name. Haha.

jmb1099
04-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Great post. We addressed the oline through FA, and now we're actually drafting to fill the needs we have with the bpa in the position of need. I am holding my breath, but I am pretty optimistic as of right now about the direction of the team

Here's how I see it: This team has 3 glaring needs: CB, LB and RB, and several positions that could use an upgrade, most notably TE and #2 WR.

Now, teams with that many needs don't have the luxury of going best player available (BPA)- they have to consider team needs. But in a sense, this worked to Buffalo's advantage- we got to pick the BPA in the 3 positions where we have the biggest need.

With Willis off the board, Beason or especially Poz would have been a huge reach at 12. Hall is overrated (a lot of draft gurus missed this but the NFL scouts didn't) and Revis would have been a bit of a reach as well.

So, Marv filled the position with the BPA at RB because the BPA's at LB and CB would not have been good value for the 12th pick.

I'm still very concerned about the LB position and would like to see a trade up to grab Beason, Poz or Harris, but I think Marv handled the first pick well.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Excellent point OP.

Let me just add that, IMHO, if the Bills are going to go without a FB and use their TEs as blockers this season, TE is a much higher priority than many may see it to be. Cieslak and Royal are both solid, but Everett has been a disappointment and really has to step up (with no evidence that he can/will) and Neufeld has limitations and injury issues than restrict his usefulness. So, I could see the Bills being tempted to take a TE a lot earlier than some might expect.

DynaPaul
04-28-2007, 03:22 PM

I think Zach Miller would be a great TE pickup if we can get him later.

ShadowHawk7
04-28-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm scared of Revis in NYJ, I think he's gonna be a good one. I would have been okay with that pick at 12, but Lynch is solid.
They sure paid out of their ass for that one though.