PDA

View Full Version : This From Carucci On Bills' Manuvering In The Draft

LifetimeBillsFan
04-28-2007, 07:47 PM
From Vic Carucci's blog on NFL.com:

"The Bills wanted linebacker Patrick Willis with their first choice (12th overall), but San Francisco selected him one spot earlier. After choosing Lynch, they made a strong effort to trade for a second first-round pick to use on a linebacker, but they were unable to find any takers. According to NFL sources, they were rejected by the Philadelphia Eagles (26th) and New England Patriots (28th). The Eagles ended up making a deal with Dallas that allowed the Cowboys to grab defensive end Anthony Spencer, while the Patriots wound up making a trade with San Francisco that allowed the 49ers to land offensive tackle Joe Staley.

Finally, the Detroit Lions agreed to give the Bills the second pick of Round 2 (34th overall) in exchange for the Bills' second-rounder (43rd) and third-rounder (74th). "
http://nfl.com/draft/features/blog

He also says the Bills are very happywith their top 2 picks and being able to address two big needs with them. This probably explains why they were willing to pay so much to move up to # 34 to get Posluzny.

gr8slayer
04-28-2007, 07:52 PM

"The Bills wanted linebacker Patrick Willis with their first choice (12th overall), but San Francisco selected him one spot earlier. After choosing Lynch, they made a strong effort to trade for a second first-round pick to use on a linebacker, but they were unable to find any takers. According to NFL sources, they were rejected by the Philadelphia Eagles (26th) and New England Patriots (28th). The Eagles ended up making a deal with Dallas that allowed the Cowboys to grab defensive end Anthony Spencer, while the Patriots wound up making a trade with San Francisco that allowed the 49ers to land offensive tackle Joe Staley.

Finally, the Detroit Lions agreed to give the Bills the second pick of Round 2 (34th overall) in exchange for the Bills' second-rounder (43rd) and third-rounder (74th). "

He also says the Bills are very happywith their top 2 picks and being able to address two big needs with them. This probably explains why they were willing to pay so much to move up to # 34 to get Posluzny.
I really don't think we gave up that much. One third? Not bad.

Bulldog
04-28-2007, 07:54 PM

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm very happy with the way this draft has gone thus far.

JJamezz
04-28-2007, 07:57 PM

Same here.

Michael82
04-28-2007, 08:02 PM
I would have preferred it be our 2nd third rounder. But it wasn't. Either way, it's still good. :up:

gr8slayer
04-28-2007, 08:03 PM
I would have preferred it be our 2nd third rounder. But it wasn't. Either way, it's still good. :up:
Hey at least we didn't give up more than one pick like Cleveland has done twice now (sorry FTY).

ShadowHawk7
04-28-2007, 08:31 PM

With that info in mind, that makes me like that trade a lot more. :up:
It's clear we defintely wanted Pos way more than Harris, because we had tried to get in the late 1st and take him, and it was doubtful he would have lasted another 9 picks. The Bills could have waited a few more spots and pulled a Arizona trade, but this pick was still very well executed.

Sportsuser101
04-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Especially when you consider what other teams gave up to move up in the 2nd round it looks like a good deal for Buffalo.

gr8slayer
04-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Especially when you consider what other teams gave up to move up in the 2nd round it looks like a good deal for Buffalo.No, we ripped them off.

John Doe
04-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Imagine how nevous Marv & Co. were getting as the draft went deeper and deeper with Pos in mind.