• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LifetimeBillsFan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Aug 2004

If The Bills Do NOT Take a CB...

If the Bills don't take a CB with one of their next two picks, the guys at ESPN are going to go ballistic about how the Bills are going to replace Nate Clements and and there will undoubtedly be more than a few Bills fans who will either immediately start moaning or be very puzzled. But, if the Bills decide not to take a CB early on in this draft (or possibly at all), that does not necessarily mean that the Bills front office has lost its mind.

If the Bills don't bring in a CB early on in the draft or at all by the end of the draft, I wold take that as a sign that they not only have a lot of confidence in Ashton Youboty, but also in Eric Bassey. Bassey, if you recall, was an extremely fast, but also exceedingly raw prospect with excellent measurables and little experience when the Bills signed him as a UDFA. Based on his size/speed measurables, etc., there were a lot of BZ posters who hailed the Bassey signing as one that might pay off at some point in the future if he would be able to learn how to play the CB position better while on the practice squad. I would take a decision by the Bills not to bring in a raw rookie in the draft as a sign that they feel that Bassey has developed to a point where they feel that he has a better chance of being a contributor on the team than someone that they could get in the middle rounds of this draft. While I am not saying that this is something that necessarily will take place, it is something that could happen and that Bills fans should be prepared for if it does.

I'm sure that someone can look up Bassey's height/weight/40 yard dash numbers, etc. and those may well turn out to be quite comparable to those of some of the CB prospects that will be remaining on the board when the Bills pick. The difference, though, will be that Bassey, while inexperienced coming out of college, will have a year of working and practicing at the position as a professional in the defensive system that the Bills are running. So, file this for possible future reference, just in case, like Peters and Cieslak, etc., it may turn out that Bassey has turned out to be a player who has been able to develop and improve on the Bills' practice squad.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: If The Bills Do NOT Take a CB...

I'm fine with no CB this year. That would be a luxury pick
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

Cover 2 Zone doesn't require much talent at CB.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

Cornerback Eric Bassey really stood out; posting a 4.33 40-yard dash, 37.5 inch vertical jump, a 3.92 short shuttle, 7.07 on the three cone drill, and 17 Reps at 225 lbs.

from footballsfuture.com.

So yeah, he could have a future here as a 2nd, 3rd or 4th corner if he's grasped the defense and scheme. And if so, it wouldn't surprise me if the Bills don't draft any corners this weekend.

Comment

• gr8slayer
          • Feb 2005

I'm pretty comfortable with Greer, McGee, Thomas, and Youboty right now.

Get a CB sometime tomorrow, we have more pressing needs.

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

I think CB in the Tampa 2 takes more smarts and less athletic ability. Bassey, BTW is 6' 200 lbs and runs the 40 in about 4.3. He's blazing fast. The question is how smart is he, and how well can he overcome his lack of experience. He had very little playing time in college due in part to injury. I was fine with not taking a CB in the first two rounds. I'll be a bit surprised if they don't take someone in the next couple rounds.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

honestly our CB situation makes me nervous but there are few if any guys in the draft (and definitely none left) who would make it instantly better. I wouldn't mind adding some CB depth but we're definitely going to get more production out of the LB and RB spots THIS season than we would out of any CB pick.

Between ESPN, ESPN 2 and ESPNEWS, the network has to fill 72 hours a day with sports programming. Sometimes they just need **** to talk about.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

ESPN has lost all crediblity with their opinions, regarding the Bills.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                  Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                  • Mar 2003

Good points guys. I'm comfortable with goin WR or LB and addressing CB in the 4th or even 6th.
                  "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                  -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                  X