PDA

View Full Version : WHOA TRENT EDWARDS!!!!!!!!

Devin
04-28-2007, 09:56 PM
I uhh........huh?

Mr. Miyagi
WTF?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pride
Decent Backup??

Sportsuser101
Suprised but nice value.

LtBillsFan66
A smart QB!

Mitchy moo
04-28-2007, 09:57 PM
How is this guy???????

Overall: Edwards arrived at Stanford in 2002 and was redshirted. In 2003 as a redshirt freshman, Edwards saw action in eight games, starting four. He began the season as the backup but supplanted Chris Lewis after an impressive showing in the season opener. Edwards went on to start the next four contests until a shoulder injury caused him to miss much of the remainder of the season. He finished that year with 750 yards passing and four touchdowns but completed only 45-percent of his attempts and was intercepted nine times. Edwards entered the 2004 season as Stanford's starter, started nine total games, missing two due to a shoulder injury, and was knocked out of two other games. He finished the season with 1,732 yards, nine touchdowns, and 11 interceptions, completing 54-percent of his passes. In 2005, he started all 11 contests and completed 62.7-percent of his throws for 1,934 yards ...

Sportsuser101
04-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Suprised but nice value.

LtBillsFan66
04-28-2007, 09:58 PM
I love the pick.

LifetimeBillsFan
I can't see a QB here. I know this guy was considered to be a much higher pick, but..... Why pass on Alexander Allison or Patrick at this point?

!Papacrunk!
well it seems like other successful franchises believe in drafting a QB each year no matter whom is on the starting roster

Michael82
What the hell, Marv? I understand we need a backup QB or a 3rd stringer...but why the hell would you draft QB in the 3rd round?!? :ill:

casdhf
A good value, but we have other needs ... trade?

Scumbag College
Gross pick, disgusting actually. The Bills don't need another WR, LB, DB, TE, or a DE. wtf!?!?!?!?!?!

LtBillsFan66
04-28-2007, 09:59 PM
If Losman doesn't get any better, we have a prospect waiting. Great pick. Stanford = intelligent.

Philagape
Better hold off on those Losman jerseys

lightningbolt444
well that is accually a very very good pick and what qb did we draft last year? and your a dolphins fan so you cant talk about who anyone drafts in a negitive way

HHURRICANE
Well that was stupid. Sorry.

casdhf
04-28-2007, 10:00 PM
I guess they don't like the thought of Nall on the field either

SABURZFAN
so long lossman. :bigwave:

acattack15
WOW!!!

Good value, but i didnt dee that coming, did anyone.

Michael82
Horrible pick! We don't need a QB controversy and thats what this brings. What does this mean for JP? Are we already telling him to forget about a long term deal? :mad:

lordofgun
If Losman doesn't get any better, we have a prospect waiting. Great pick. Stanford = intelligent.
So does Harvard, Yale, Brown, and Cornell. BFD.

Mr. Pink
04-28-2007, 10:01 PM
ummmm...confused about this one personally.

We have two young QBs already, what we needed was a veteran guy at the position. And ummm, yeah, I'm too confused to comment further.

Michael82
Well that was stupid. Sorry.
Agreed! I'm in total disbelief right now. There was soo many different players available and we take a QB in the 3rd round!?!? You gotta be kidding me!

lightningbolt444
no we are putting ourselves in position to if the time came and djp WANTED to leave we wouldnt be put on our butt right away or if he got hurt this year i love this pick

ZacGriffi~82
04-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Mikey don't be so stupid. It doesn't mean a QB controversy. Look at the Eagles second rounder.

!Papacrunk!
give it time, I'm sure people will flip flop and state how utterly wonderful he is j/k

LtBillsFan66
So does Harvard, Yale, Brown, and Cornell. BFD.
Dumb QBs never win.

If Harvard, Yale, Brown, and Cornell had a talented QB, I'd want them too.

Illmatic15
Trade bait..

SABURZFAN
I uhh........huh?

:roflmao:

Carlton Bailey
I'm not happy right now. The only bright side is tha maybe Edwards becomes trade bait down the line. Keep in mind that Atlanta used a third or fourth on Schaub when Vick was younger.

!Papacrunk!
04-28-2007, 10:03 PM
no we are putting ourselves in position to if the time came and djp WANTED to leave we wouldnt be put on our butt right away or if he got hurt this year i love this pick
wow, my head hurts a bit after reading that brudda

Michael82
04-28-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm not happy right now. The only bright side is tha maybe Edwards becomes trade bait down the line. Keep in mind that Atlanta used a third or fourth on Schaub when Vick was younger.
That's the only thing I can think of. But still....we had some damn good LBs available and a good TE and WR and we took a QB. WTF! :shocked:

TheGhostofJimKelly
I am fine with it, I really like Edwards. Good kid, good player. Maybe they just didn't like the players in the position they needed there. There is no quarterback controversy, they need a young 3rd string QB they can groom.

THATHURMANATOR
I don't get it but we have good depth at QB at least. I still love rounds 1 and 2.

Michael82
The thing that shocks me the most about this move is that the Bills didn't even take any time, they picked him right away! :eek: :shocked:

Marshawn Lynch
04-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Edwards = Competition, they will both get better.

lordofgun
04-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Edwards must have been their highest rated QB overall. :chuckle:

THATHURMANATOR
04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
I am fine with it, I really like Edwards. Good kid, good player. Maybe they just didn't like the players in the position they needed there. There is no quarterback controversy, they need a young 3rd string QB they can groom.
I guess but JP is a young QB. What are we going to groom him for retirement?

Mr. Cynical
04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
So let me get this straight....a QB with multiple shoulder injuries who throws more INTs than TDs? Looks like Marv had a senior moment. Awful pick.

Ed
04-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Maybe we can trade him in a couple years the way the falcons did with Schaub.

I don't mind the pick if it represents good value, but I would have rather seen a WR, DB, or another LB.

I wouldn't be surprised though, if our 4th round pick tomorrow is a guy we were all hoping for in the 3rd.

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2007, 10:08 PM
I think this was nothing but a best available player thing. Great value in the 3rd round. He's supposed to go in the 2nd at the latest.

CSFAN
04-28-2007, 10:08 PM
C'mon! Who is backing up Losman right now? We're weak at depth at the QB position, and this guy should never have even made it close to our 3rd round pick.

Great, great pick, and a great 1st day. We're a team w/ a lot of needs, but I'd put RB, LB & backup QB near the top, and we filled each one.

Nice work...

lightningbolt444
04-28-2007, 10:11 PM
everyones forgeting that we need a backup this isnt a push out the door for jp by any means if we were doing that we would have drafted quinn

acehole
04-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Spin this all you want this sucks!

They act like we are one or two players away for a superbowl.

Have you seen NE's player aquistions?

It will be 5 - 6 years before we catch up with this type of draft.

R Alexander OLB sheeshe.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-28-2007, 10:12 PM
I guess but JP is a young QB. What are we going to groom him for retirement?

No, you never know what is going to happen with Losman. If Losman works out and Edwards works out, you trade him in the same way Atlanta traded Schaub. If Losman doesn't work out, you have his replacement. You never know what is going to happen in free agency.

ShadowHawk7
04-28-2007, 10:12 PM
I think I'm dizzy right now. Honestly, wtf?
I was hoping we could cover a WR and CB or LB w/ our 3rd and 4th, but now look.
We have ONE MORE significant pick to improve our team with argubly serious needs at CB, WR, and LB. We had two picks, but it looks like we blew one. Maybe they got overconfident with the Lynch/Pos coup.

SoCalBillsFan
04-28-2007, 10:13 PM
I think next year at this time, we could be very lucky we made this pick. If Losman has a bad year, his time will be up here and we won't have to worry about drafting a QB. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but it will only help to have Edwards pushing him.

He is a very promising prospect- he was surrounded by total crap and played well. I like it!

kgun12
Worst pick since McGahee! :puke:

ZacGriffi~82
Go figure, ESPN loves it.

CSFAN
04-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I can't get over the low football IQ of some of the posters on this board.

This is an outstanding pick; it's why it took them 5 seconds to make. This guy never should have dropped to us. It's not like we're incredibly deep at the QB position; everyone is talking like we're all set as far as a backup QB goes....

acattack15
04-28-2007, 10:15 PM
What you talking about:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=10660
Hes ranked as the 29th best player in the entire draft by ESPN, the ENTIRE DRAFT!!!

An overall grade of 85, thats damm good.

The pick was risky and i like the risk, shows marv, and jauron got some balls!!
I give it a thumbs up, great value!!

lightningbolt444
04-28-2007, 10:16 PM
yes and the bills have the best draft thus far player wise. need wise for this team ehhh the first two yea third one no (still good pick) but still we got the best combo of players so far

Lexwhat
04-28-2007, 10:17 PM
What you talking about:
Hes ranked as the 29th best player in the entire draft by ESPN, the ENTIRE DRAFT!!!

where does it say 29th best player in the draft?

kgun12
What you talking about:

The pick sucked. I can look on the Internet all day and find good players, we need a lot more then a QB controversy!

jdbillsfan
There are injuries to worry about as well. If they aren't comfortable with Nall ball, then they dont want to throw away the season if JP gets hurt.

Not really my pref, but something to think about.

Mr. Pink
04-28-2007, 10:19 PM
<table style="border: 1px solid rgb(30, 104, 132);" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="90%"><tbody><tr><td>43.</td> <td>Trent Edwards</td> <td>QB</td> <td>Stanford</td></tr></tbody></table>
according to NFL Draft Countdown

So yes, it's good value, but questionable why we went this route with other more pressing needs.

CSFAN
Who are the idiots who keep saying "QB controversy?"

Absolutely ridiculous. You need at LEAST 2 solid QB's in this league. And what did Losman have...a good half a season, so we're all set?

HAMMER
What you talking about:

He was not rated at 29, he was the 29th pick in the 3rd round.

Philagape
04-28-2007, 10:20 PM
What the scouts, pundits, web sites, mocks, etc. say is irrelevant ... a player's value is determined first by where he's drafted, and ultimately by how he does in the NFL. How much value does he have if most of the teams passed on him three times and five QBs were drafted before him?

lordofgun
04-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Who are the idiots who keep saying "QB controversy?"

Absolutely ridiculous. You need at LEAST 2 solid QB's in this league. And what did Losman have...a good half a season, so we're all set?
Personal attacks arent' necessary. Let's debate the topic, please.

lightningbolt444
everyone that says controversy would probably have said that if we drafted a qb in the seventh round guys come on 3rd round and down is not where you draft instant starters (usually) its where you get backups and young players to groom into your starters over the course of a few years

THATHURMANATOR

This is an outstanding pick; it's why it took them 5 seconds to make. This guy never should have dropped to us. It's not like we're incredibly deep at the QB position; everyone is talking like we're all set as far as a backup QB goes....
Get over yourself. QB was not a need, certainly not even close to CB or WR or even another Linebacker. I realize the QB was a good value but we didn't need him. Nall could handle being #2 IMO. I am not freaking out by this but think it was unnecessary.

Michael82
The pick sucked. I can look on the Internet all day and find good players, we need a lot more then a QB controversy!
:bf1:

SoCalBillsFan
04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
How much value does he have if most of the teams passed on him three times and five QBs were drafted before him?

Well then we might as well not draft anyone. I mean, all the guys left can't have any value, cause they've been passed up for other guys at their positions. Let's just give all our picks way.

Michael82
04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
This pick just bumped the day 1 draft grade down to a B IMO! I hate it!!! :mad:

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Geez people.

I am not sold on the pick.

But, it was the 3rd round. You do not draft for need in the 3rd round. You take the BPA in the 3rd round. Especially late in the 3rd round.

Calm down. The people going nuts are over-reacting big time.

And grow up Sab. Your open rooting for your supposed favorite team to fail is childish.

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2007, 10:26 PM
This pick just bumped the day 1 draft grade down to a B IMO! I hate it!!! :mad:

It is a late 3rd round pick.

You don't draft for need at that point.

Quit over-reacting.

THATHURMANATOR
04-28-2007, 10:27 PM
I am not over reacting. I am not even pissed. I am fine with it but it just doesn't make all that much sense to me.

Philagape
04-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Well then we might as well not draft anyone. I mean, all the guys left can't have any value, cause they've been passed up for other guys at their positions. Let's just give all our picks way.

That totally misses the point. People are saying what great value Edwards is because some lists had him the No. 3 QB, a second-round pick, blah, blah. My point is that doesn't matter. As of this moment his value is the No. 6 QB taken at 91st overall. No more, no less.

lightningbolt444
04-28-2007, 10:29 PM
it doesnt need to make sense did mccargo make sense a year ago did evans/losman make sense when we drafted them guys i know you dont like it most of you but trust the FO maybe they hit on something here

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2007, 10:29 PM
A 3rd round pick won't cause a QB controversy.

LtFinFan66
04-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Mikey don't be so stupid. It doesn't mean a QB controversy. Look at the Eagles second rounder.Yeah and the commentators said the same thing. You don't take a QB with your first pick in the draft as Philly did unless you have something in the works.

okaydo
04-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Fun fact: Marshawn Lynch played 3 games against Trent Edwards in the Cal-Stanford Big Game.

Of the 3 games, Edwards was actually on the field for 2 of 12 quarters (The first two quarters of the 2005 Big Game, before he was injured (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1kVets7Yx8c).)

The rest of the time he was injured.

kgun12
04-28-2007, 10:44 PM

...and what are your football credentials that make your opinion better then ours?

jmb1099
04-28-2007, 10:47 PM
I am not over reacting. I am not even pissed. I am fine with it but it just doesn't make all that much sense to me.
I'm with you on this. I'm not angry about the pick just kind of confused. Gues we'll have to wait and see what transpires.

kgun12
04-28-2007, 10:50 PM

I'm pissed! Not that Edwards is a bad player, just we have to many other needs at other positions. We could have signed a street FA as our 3rd QB.

The Spaz
04-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Competition is never bad.

BillsFever21
04-28-2007, 10:56 PM
So let me get this straight....a QB with multiple shoulder injuries who throws more INTs than TDs? Looks like Marv had a senior moment. Awful pick.

This move is about money and nothing else. The Bills are cheap and they are fearing the prospect of having to pay somebody 10 million a year(if not more) a couple years from now when Losman's contract is up. That's what it is gonna take to sign Losman when he pans out over the next year or two. There is a reason we will be sitting 10+ million OVER the salary cap AGAIN this year.

Losman will probably play out his contract and then will be franchised and traded to another team. If for some miracle this selection wasn't about money then they are hoping to trade Edwards a couple years from now for a higher pick. Yeah that may work out. There have been some teams that have been able to do that. There have been more that hasn't been able to when they drafted a QB on day one to groom.

Even if Edwards was a decent commodity a couple years from now Marv Levy would just cave in and only get a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick anyway. With the many holes on our team I would rather have a player that can contribute now then to MAYBE gain 30 positions in the draft 2 or 3 years from now.

I figured we would draft a QB but maybe in the 5th round and not this early. This is a luxury pick teams like the Chargers, Ravens, Patriots, ect would be able to make. We needed many players that could contribute this year.

We dump 4 starters last year and all we end up with on day 1 are two players that will jump in and play this season. Them two players were with draft picks we had to use to replace the starters we already had on our team.

This is an example of why the Bills have been average for the last 7 years. Wilson is cheap and doesn't wanna pay enough good starters we already have. We let starters go because we don't wanna pay them when we already have many holes on our team at the time. Instead of dishing out the money and keeping the guys we ALREADY had and then drafting other positions to fill the rest of our holes we just keep cheaping out and creating more holes and then our draft every year is to replace the starters we just got rid of.

Good teams keep their good players and then use the draft to fill in the rest of their holes. Bad teams like the Bills let most of their starters go and every year continue to use their draft picks to replace positions they already had filled. The starters they usually let go were draft picks from 4 or 5 years ago that were used to replace other starters that they had let go.

This is just another cheap cycle of the Buffalo Bills. Don't expect to keep Lee Evans either. To keep Losman AND Evans it would cost the Bills 20+ million a year combined. There is no way in hell Ralph Wilson will ever pony up that kind of money. If we're lucky the Bills may keep one of them but there is no way in hell they will keep both of them.

The Bills can never keep continuity on their team because of being cheap. Whenever we improve and we're close to maybe turning it around and we're 1 or two drafts away we end up letting good young starters walk which creates more holes and then we use the next draft to replace them players. It's a cycle that never ends. The Bills always have glaring holes because of this.

jmb1099
04-28-2007, 10:58 PM
This move is about money and nothing else. The Bills are cheap and they are fearing the prospect of having to pay somebody 10 million a year(if not more) a couple years from now when Losman's contract is up. That's what it is gonna take to sign Losman when he pans out over the next year or two. There is a reason we will be sitting 10+ million OVER the salary cap AGAIN this year.

Losman will probably play out his contract and then will be franchised and traded to another team. If for some miracle this selection wasn't about money then they are hoping to trade Edwards a couple years from now for a higher pick. Yeah that may work out. There have been some teams that have been able to do that. There have been more that hasn't been able to when they drafted a QB on day one to groom.

Even if Edwards was a decent commodity a couple years from now Marv Levy would just cave in and only get a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick anyway. With the many holes on our team I would rather have a player that can contribute now then to MAYBE gain 30 positions in the draft 2 or 3 years from now.

I figured we would draft a QB but maybe in the 5th round and not this early. This is a luxury pick teams like the Chargers, Ravens, Patriots, ect would be able to make. We needed many players that could contribute this year.

We dump 4 starters last year and all we end up with on day 1 are two players that will jump in and play this season. Them two players were with draft picks we had to use to replace the starters we already had on our team.

This is an example of why the Bills have been average for the last 7 years. Wilson is cheap and doesn't wanna pay enough good starters we already have. We let starters go because we don't wanna pay them when we already have many holes on our team at the time. Instead of dishing out the money and keeping the guys we ALREADY had and then drafting other positions to fill the rest of our holes we just keep cheaping out and creating more holes and then our draft every year is to replace the starters we just got rid of.

Good teams keep their good players and then use the draft to fill in the rest of their holes. Bad teams like the Bills let most of their starters go and every year continue to use their draft picks to replace positions they already had filled. The starters they usually let go were draft picks from 4 or 5 years ago that were used to replace other starters that they had let go.

This is just another cheap cycle of the Buffalo Bills. Don't expect to keep Lee Evans either. To keep Losman AND Evans it would cost the Bills 20+ million a year combined. There is no way in hell Ralph Wilson will ever pony up that kind of money. If we're lucky the Bills may keep one of them but there is no way in hell they will keep both of them.

The Bills can never keep continuity on their team because of being cheap. Whenever we improve and we're close to maybe turning it around and we're 1 or two drafts away we end up letting good young starters walk which creates more holes and then we use the next draft to replace them players. It's a cycle that never ends. The Bills always have glaring holes because of this.
Judging by the amount of money Buffalo shelled out to improve the oline I think you would be hard pressed to call them cheap at this point.

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2007, 10:59 PM

How many times does the "cheap" argument have to be disproven to some people?

ParanoidAndroid
04-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Although we probably didn't need to spend a day-1 pick on a QB, this is possibly some nice insurance in case JP goes down. At that point in the draft, I can't argue with the pick.

BillsFever21
04-28-2007, 11:10 PM
What you talking about:

So because ESPN has him ranked high that means he is the 29th best player in the draft? Obviously the NFL only thought he was the 92nd best player in the draft because nobody else in the 3rd round jumped on his INCREDIBLE value. You would think the 29th best player in the draft would've had somebody drooling from their mouth and take him before that.

I guess people only listen to what they wanna hear. I remember last year after the Whitner and McCargo picks and ESPN and others were degrading it there were tons of people saying that their draft boards don't mean crap. They were not professional scouts.

How many players every year are ranked high on them medias draft boards only to fall way down in the draft and then shortly after they fade away into the universe never to be heard again? The only draft boards that count are the NFL's and 29 teams passed on him 3 times. If he was that much of a steal you had teams like the Lions and Dolphins who don't have crap at QB that passed on him. You have about 26 other teams in the NFL who have junk behind their starting QB that passed on him.

This is a luxury pick that a team like the Bills with needs that couple use immediate help to improve their team at WR, TE, OL, CB and LB. The Bills needed at least 2 LB's that could play this year and make an impact and they were there with that pick. Instead we take a QB that will be lucky to see any action. And hell even if he was lucky enough to see some actions his career shows he has a great chance to not even make it through 2 weeks of football without getting hurt.

This guy couldn't stay helathy in college football let alone the NFL. This is a wasted pick with the help we need immediately.

BillsFever21
04-28-2007, 11:25 PM

How many times does the "not cheap" argument have to be disproven to some people?

We're sitting 15+ million under the salary cap AGAIN this year. Big deal so we went out and signed a couple players for contracts this season. The money they saved from the contracts of McGahee, Clements, Flether and Spikes paid for them players.

Just because they spent some money doesn't mean they opened up their pockets and spent MORE money. Their payroll isn't much different from the previous couple seasons. The cap goes up 10 million so now we're just sitting 10 million under the cap.

Ralph Wilson can make some fools believe anything he wants just because they see some money tossed around. Some just don't get the point that the money we spent was extra money we saved by tossing away 4 of our starters.

Teams that are not afraid to spend money wouldn't be sitting 10+ million under the salary cap for 2 straight years when they have young players a couple years away that could use contract extensions or let good young starters walk away when they have plenty of money to spend and the cap will be going up even more. You will believe anything.

I gurantee you that both Losman and Evans will not be here after two more years because the Bills won't dish the money out. The 5 million dollar a year contracts seem like a lot to you because of years past. For this era with the new salary cap 5 million a year will not get you a great player. They will get you players with 12 career sacks and 11 sacks allowed the previous seasons. Them are the kind of players we will get.

Ralph Wilson is a genius and can make some of the foolish fans believe anything. He can get rid of about 15+ million in payroll he doesn't want to pay from the following seasons and then give that 15 million dollars to new players and some act like their backing up the Brinks Security truck into the stadium just because it's new money spent.

Wilson had to spend that extra 15 million on somebody. The NFL requires you to spend a certain amount of the cap. Do you think we could go into the season 30 million under the cap or something? There are tons of cheap teams in the NFL that spent some money on players over the past couple years like we did this season. We have to spend some of it and the money we spent was extra money we got back from getting rid of 4 other starters. It's simple math.

lightningbolt444
04-28-2007, 11:26 PM
by your guys logic right now because teams passed on him he doesnt have value i guess if we get siler or patrick in the forth they wont have value because they wernt taken in the first 10? picks of the draft

Philagape
04-28-2007, 11:28 PM

Spending up to the cap will do it

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Spending up to the cap will do it

Spending for the sake of spending is pointless.

Spending wisely is more important.

Philagape
04-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Spending for the sake of spending is pointless.

Spending wisely is more important.

And that can be done up to the cap.

feldspar
04-29-2007, 12:54 AM
I have to admit that this pick shocked the hell out of me when they announced it. But I thought about it...now I think it was a good move.

I mean we can't expect every one of our picks to start right away, can we? Last year was the exception to the rule. Most rookies sit. I expect our first two picks to totally contribute right away. Poz will probably start, and Lynch will most likely split time with Thomas. I can see Lynch getting more carries than Thomas...so we filled our two biggest needs. Drafting Edwards was all about planning for the future. We got great value for him.

I'm happy with day one. After all, I would rather have one good player than 50 bad ones. A very successful draft is about 3 or maybe 4 players that pan out.

We absolutely needed a RB and LB above all else, and that's what we got.

TheBrownBear
04-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Edwards is solid. I've watched Stanford a ton and he was their only player. Their talent level was horrible on the offensive line and he had terrible receivers. I think he will push Losman for the starting job in the next two years.

Mudflap1
04-29-2007, 01:29 AM
Awful pick... I live on the West Coast and watch Pac 10 football religiously... Edwards sucks! If you like a guy that gets sacked every other play and generally looks confused out on the field -- he's your guy...

Jon

TacklingDummy
04-29-2007, 06:07 AM

Or Edwards becomes insurance incase JP continues to suck.

TacklingDummy
04-29-2007, 06:11 AM

:clap:

kernowboy
04-29-2007, 06:46 AM
Spending up to the cap does not mean spending wisely. Not every player we'd ideally want is available and we shouldn't overpay people.

Losman showed really progress in 2006. If this continues then we will have decent cap space to reward him and Evans if they continue to play well. If we have spent up to the cap on mediocrity then there is no cash left in the pot.

I don't think the players who have gone this season have done so because Ralph is cheap. They have gone because Ralph isn't stupid.

Clements is not worth $80m with a $22m signing bonus
Spikes play did not like a $6m a season SLB
Fletcher at 32 could not warrant a $25m 5 years contract
McGahee wanted a top5 RB contract but never played like a top5 RB

With the money we are under the cap this means that come the end of 2007 we can reward the players who we have drafted who have continued to do well.

We do not need to p**s off players by having to renegotiate their deals and lump ourselves with dead cap money.

We can go after the better free agents in 2008 offering them Dockery size offers.

Edwards is about providing competition and a safety net in case JPs play falls off, like Leftwich/Garrard, Grossman/Orton etc etc

Philagape
04-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Spending up to the cap does not mean spending wisely. Not every player we'd ideally want is available and we shouldn't overpay people.

Nor does it mean spending unwisely.

The policy was announced before free agency started, so it had nothing to do with the merits or wisdom of any individual signing or nonsigning. It was an accounting procedure intended to set a hard budget for the offseason, regardless of who was available or what they cost.

The "wisdom" of free agency and the budget we set for it are two separate issues. The wisdom of paying Kelsay and Walker what we did certainly remains to be seen.

ddaryl
04-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Nor does it mean spending unwisely.

The policy was announced before free agency started, so it had nothing to do with the merits or wisdom of any individual signing or nonsigning. It was an accounting procedure intended to set a hard budget for the offseason, regardless of who was available or what they cost.

The "wisdom" of free agency and the budget we set for it are two separate issues. The wisdom of paying Kelsay and Walker what we did certainly remains to be seen.

Yet we still added some key players, and we let some aging, some often injured, and some discontents leave the team.

In McGahees case we recieved 2 3rd rd picks which essentially allowed us to move back up and get Poz, and draft Edwards. Mcgahee was a joke of a player.

We recieved a solid DT for Spikes. Spikes more then likely wasn't going to to be here as the Bills finally start becoming a playoff team, so might as well get someone for him. Not to mention he asked to be traded.

Fletcher just wasn't worth the re-investment at his age.

AND we have money that can be used to extend important young core players in JP and Evans.

I just fail to see what is wrong with cash to cap this seasonj. Signing players up to the cap amount would have also meant signging players to multi-year deals and bonuses etc.. . which means any extra spending done this year also eats into next years cap, which in return makes it harder for us to sign a top FA or 2 in 2008 while extending Lee and JP.

Donahue had our team in disarray. Yes he made some really good moves, but he made many bone-headed moves.... Because of that we had to do some shuffling and rebuilding. Any time a new GM comes in you can expect a bit of a turn around, and a new plan.

At least Marv is looking out for our immediate future while making the necessary changes in our present. That's where the balance comes into play and what drives cap to cash. I fail to see how having some extra money in 2008 to add some more pieces is really a negative thing. I know we all want immediate fixes at every need postion but that is just not reality.

Philagape
04-29-2007, 09:11 AM
I have no problem with any of the purges we made. The players who left needed to go, for various reasons.

As for 2008, let's see if cash to cap remains in effect then too. If indeed the reason for it this year was so we can re-sign our stars next year, then great. But I'll believe that when I see it. It's no secret that Ralph was unhappy with the league's economics, and cash-to-cap could just as well have been his way of saying the NFL cap is too high, so we'll limit ourselves.
I still haven't gotten an authoritative answer as to whether the NFL recognizes our cash-to-cap policy; that is, if this year's bonuses won't count against future NFL caps.

Nighthawk
04-29-2007, 09:15 AM
This isn't a horrible pick...it is what good teams do. They draft great talent and he was a steal at that pick. The good teams don't reach for need, they take guys that can play football and this kid can. Some boards had him as the #3 QB behind Russell & Quinn. I'm Ok with the pick.

HHURRICANE
04-29-2007, 09:17 AM
:clap:

TD do you like this guy? I'm being serious. Is he better than Quinn? Alot of scouts had him as the better QB.

HHURRICANE
04-29-2007, 09:21 AM
You know it's hard to ***** and here's why. Would you had thoughts 2 months ago that we could have Lynch and Poz by giving up our 3rd.

I would have been negged to death.

Maybe after their good fortune the Bills felt confident that they could get there backup QB. We only have Nall so we needed a QB unless we were planning on starting the season with 1 backup which no other team in the NFL does.

Philagape
04-29-2007, 12:03 PM
If indeed the reason for it this year was so we can re-sign our stars next year, then great.

Actually, I change my mind. With no major FAs next year, now is the time to go all out and make a Super Bowl run in 2008. If we fail, we fail, but at least we'd take our best shot. We'll go nowhere on a perpetual save-and-re-sign cycle

TacklingDummy
04-29-2007, 12:07 PM
TD do you like this guy? I'm being serious. Is he better than Quinn? Alot of scouts had him as the better QB.

I know nothing about him.

The only thing I've really read about him is he gets injuried alot.

I hope he works out if JP gets benched.

SABURZFAN
04-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Edwards is solid. I've watched Stanford a ton and he was their only player. Their talent level was horrible on the offensive line and he had terrible receivers. I think he will push Losman for the starting job in the next two years.

i think he'll be our starting QB when losman's contract expires.

MikeInRoch
04-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Of course you do.

TacklingDummy
10-01-2007, 10:27 AM
:popcorn:

TacklingDummy
10-01-2007, 10:30 AM
A 3rd round pick won't cause a QB controversy.

:penalty:

:bs: