• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

JAURON: "J.P. is our guy. We need some competition for Craig."

The Bills then made a curious pick, selecting Stanford quarterback Trent Edwards in the third round, 92nd overall. Quarterback was not an immediate need for Buffalo after second-year starter J.P. Losman gradually improved, helping the Bills to a 7-9 finish last season.
    Edwards is expected to initially serve as Buffalo's third-stringer behind Craig Nall after the Bills traded journeyman Kelly Holcomb to Philadelphia as part of the Spikes' deal.
    Jauron said Edwards was too good to pass up, and immediately stressed that he'll compete for the backup job.
    "J.P. is our guy. We need some competition for Craig," Jauron said.

from the AP story
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: JAURON: "J.P. is our guy. We need some competition for Craig."

And theres the confirmation that sets many here straight!

I new it would come, this is a great great pickup for a backup QB for us.

Comment

• kgun12
      • Jul 2002

...and round 7 is when you daft a QB to compete with your backup!!!
      Retired Air Traffic Controller
      USAF VETERAN
      DAV

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by kgun12
        I dont disagree with your idea here.

However, I cant really think of a good team that had no real backup and waited until round 7.

Its too easy to lose your QB for a few games and screw your whole season. A quality backup is a wonderful luxury.

Comment

• jmb1099
          • Sep 2004

Good move on Jauron's part to address this right away rather than letting it linger.

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by kgun12
            Not one that "really" competes. A seventh rounder is just a body to posibly make the roster.

Comment

• Bling
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jp-era
              I dont disagree with your idea here.

However, I cant really think of a good team that had no real backup and waited until round 7.

Its too easy to lose your QB for a few games and screw your whole season. A quality backup is a wonderful luxury.
              Tell me the good backups for Tom Brady, Peyton Manning. Tell me the last healthy QB that didn't have his job in jeoporady or wasn't retiring that had a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round QB drafted so he can compete with the backup.

Sorry, teams don't draft 3rd round QBs for that reason. Marv wanted simple insurance on Losman. In the event he tanks, you have Trent Edwards. In the event he gets hurt, you have Trent Edwards. In the even Trent Edwards turns into Matt Schaub, you get yourself a 2nd.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Actually Frank Reich was drafted in the 3rd round 2 years after the Bills drafted Kelly. I still don't understand the pick of Edwards though.

Comment

• Bling
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                  Actually Frank Reich was drafted in the 3rd round 2 years after the Bills drafted Kelly. I still don't understand the pick of Edwards though.
                  24 years, huh? Anybody got something a little more recent?

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                    • Apr 2004

You take a "flyer" on a QB in the 7th if you are set at back-up. If you have question marks past your starter, you can't really wait past the mid rounds 3-5. Edwards was sitting there, way later than expected. How many times did having Frank Reich save the Bills?

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
                      The Bills then made a curious pick, selecting Stanford quarterback Trent Edwards in the third round, 92nd overall. Quarterback was not an immediate need for Buffalo after second-year starter J.P. Losman gradually improved, helping the Bills to a 7-9 finish last season.
                      Edwards is expected to initially serve as Buffalo's third-stringer behind Craig Nall after the Bills traded journeyman Kelly Holcomb to Philadelphia as part of the Spikes' deal.
                      Jauron said Edwards was too good to pass up, and immediately stressed that he'll compete for the backup job.
                      "J.P. is our guy. We need some competition for Craig," Jauron said.

from the AP story
                      Where is that story?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Bling
                        24 years, huh? Anybody got something a little more recent?
                        Falcons with Vick and Schaub....

Texans with Carr and Ragone....

Those more recent for you?

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Aug 2004

Wasn't Schaub a 3rd Round pick right after Atlanta gave Vick a lot of money? I'm not a fan of the pick, but I know it has been done before...I'm just too tired at this point to even want, let alone be able, to remember.

I'm outta here y'all! See you later today
                          Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• RedEyE
                            • Jul 2002

Mayock had Edwards listed as the 3rd best QB in the draft behind Quinn and Russell.

The Bills needed to draft a QB, they got the best bang for their buck.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                              Falcons with Vick and Schaub....

Texans with Carr and Ragone....

Those more recent for you?
                              Chargers, with Rivers at the helm, took Charlie Whitehurst 81st last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X