PDA

View Full Version : Edwards- Let's take a look-

Dozerdog
04-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Personally, after looking at our needs, looking at what was available, and looking at the talent level of some of our position needs, I like this pick.

The lowdown on Edwards- who BTW is great value here-
Edwards made significant strides under first-year head coach Walt Harris in 2005 but injuries to his top receivers and marginal pass protection prevented him from progressing when he was healthy during the first seven games as a senior in 2006. He has the size, arm strength and quick delivery to succeed in the NFL. He also shows adequate mobility and a good work ethic. However, he makes a lot of mistakes and has gotten into some bad habits due to the marginal supporting cast. He also has some durability concerns, which will cause him to slip a bit. With all that in mind, Edwards is a "boom-or-bust" prospect that is expected to come off the board late on Day 1.

Now, I hear people complaining we ignored "needs"-

TE- this is the weakest TE draft in a very long time. Should we have reached for a Div 2 TE with no speed? This offense wants power-blocking TE's, not H-Backs. If you want speed recievers, that's where Parrish and Reed come into the game.

Patrick's profile-
Patrick's lack of explosiveness -- both as a receiver and blocker -- should prevent him from ever becoming a fulltime starter in the NFL. However, he is worth considering late on Day 1 or early on Day 2 because of his combination of his athleticism, ball skills and toughness. Patrick could develop into a versatile backup that can contribute as an H-Back type on offense, while also providing help on special teams.

WR- I don't think of this as an immediate need if Marshawn Lynch will be the focus of a power running game. But this draft does have plenty of depth at WR, and if the Bills feel the need for yet another WR, the following are available for us in the 4th round

Aundrae Allison WR 6'0" 198 EAST CAROLINA
Jacoby Jones WR 6'2" 210 LANE
David Clowney WR 6'0" 188 VIRGINIA TECH

I would have preferred to get a second LBer to replace both starters lost. If Brandon Siler lasts to our 12th pick in Rd 4, we will have done great. You can flip-flop Edwards & Siler on paper and no one will care.

Who's left-

Tim Shaw OLB 6'1" 236 PENN STATE
Rufus Alexander OLB 6'0" 228 OKLAHOMA (one of the top Tampa 2 LBers in the draft)
Earl Everett OLB 6'2" 238 FLORIDA
Zak Deossie OLB 6'4" 250 BROWN

Brandon Siler ILB 6'1" 241 FLORIDA
HB Blades ILB 5'10" 236 PITTSBURGH
Nate Harris ILB 6'0" 230 LOUISVILLE

Cornerback- In the Tampa 2, CBs are not as critical- the safties are more important. CBs in the Tampa-2 need to cover the short routes- there is no need for CB's that can cover speedy WRs for 25-40 yards downfield 1 on 1. Besides, We took care of that last year. If you think Youboty needs help- the following are still around

Tanard Jackson CB 6'0" 200 SYRACUSE
Fred Bennett CB 6'0" 196 SOUTH CAROLINA
Kenny Scott CB 6'0" 179 GEORGIA TECH
Tarell Brown CB 5'10" 190 TEXAS
AJ Davis CB 5'10" 193 NORTH CAROLINA ST
David Irons CB 5'10" 190 AUBURN
Travarous Bain CB 6'0" 182 HAMPTON

Personally, the way JP Losman recklessly plays sometimes - he's going down with an injury sooner than later. Developing Edwards also frees up 1.5 million that Nall occupies. So far, what has he done so great in preseason? Personally I'd wait for a #3 washed up vet to stumble in after camp cuts, but you never know. Maybe Nall loses out in camp and we can save some cap space. I wouldn't mind a Tim Rattay or someone like that if he's available ( Tampa has 6 QBs on the roster at the moment)

Let's wait for the draft to finish before everyone gets their panties in a bunch.

X-Era
04-28-2007, 10:53 PM
:clap:

Thank you.

Didnt we learn from last year???

:posrep:

jmb1099
04-28-2007, 10:55 PM
While I'm not sold on Losman's potential demise, I agree with much of what you just said. I watched the Marshawn Lynch highlight video that LOG posted...he has no problem running routes and already gives our passing game another weapon. A true number 2 receiver would be nice, but with Lynch we have a weapon we didn't have before.

kgun12
04-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Let's wait for the draft to finish before everyone gets their panties in a bunch.

That's the best statement on the Edwards pick so far!

Lexwhat
04-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Jacoby Jones was taken in Round 3

ShadowHawk7
04-29-2007, 12:26 AM
That's the best statement on the Edwards pick so far!
Maybe. We now only have one more significant pick left in the draft. We can't expect, although possible, 6th and 7th rounders to come in and contribute significantly.
Good logic on Edwards.

For the 4th, I'll be praying for Siler or DeOssie- that would really revive me from the last pick.

Allison would also be a excellent pick.

I personally don't know much about the remaining CBs.

SABURZFAN
04-29-2007, 12:31 AM
who's to say that losman will be around for the long haul?we don't know.we have a decent QB,in edwards,if losman leaves.

Meathead
04-29-2007, 12:46 AM
dozer is the man

at least in this thread :snicker:

Mr. Cynical
04-29-2007, 02:40 AM
"He (Edwards) also has some durability concerns, which will cause him to slip a bit."

"Personally, the way JP Losman recklessly plays sometimes - he's going down with an injury sooner than later."

Doesn't seem like Trent is the right insurance policy for your concern about JP. Guy's had a bunch of injuries already...

kernowboy
04-29-2007, 02:44 AM
who's to say that losman will be around for the long haul?we don't know.we have a decent QB,in edwards,if losman leaves.

For once I agree.

BlackMetalNinja
04-29-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm glad somebody could look at this rationally. When I first saw the pick, I definitely said WTF!

After thinking about it, we did need another QB, though we needed other things worse. But the value was there and we can still probalby fill our needs later in the draft as well. We'll see how today wraps up before I get too critical.

Michael82
04-29-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm glad somebody could look at this rationally. When I first saw the pick, I definitely said WTF!

After thinking about it, we did need another QB, though we needed other things worse. But the value was there and we can still probalby fill our needs later in the draft as well. We'll see how today wraps up before I get too critical.
Great post! I'm leaning your way now after careful analysis. I hated the pick when it happened because I saw a bunch of players that would have filled immediate needs and would actually see the field. But i forgot that Nall is our only other QB and he sucks. Plus ESPN has been showing Edwards all day long and they were shocked he was still there. They really like him and I like what he said when they interviewed him. Very classy guy. Good highlight vids too. :up:

The thing that makes me comfortable with the pick is that both Marv and Jauron have basically said that JP is the starter no matter what and this guy is basically here to become our Frank Reich. I like it.

Saratoga Slim
04-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Maybe. We now only have one more significant pick left in the draft. We can't expect, although possible, 6th and 7th rounders to come in and contribute significantly.
Good logic on Edwards.

For the 4th, I'll be praying for Siler or DeOssie- that would really revive me from the last pick.

Allison would also be a excellent pick.

I personally don't know much about the remaining CBs.

Tanard Jackson, Fred Bennett, David Irons or Travarous Bain all could have easily gone in the 3rd round. I though Tanard might have gone in the 2nd.

There are a lot of guys on the board still.

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 10:11 AM
WR- I don't think of this as an immediate need if Marshawn Lynch will be the focus of a power running game. But this draft does have plenty of depth at WR, and if the Bills feel the need for yet another WR, the following are available for us in the 4th round

Power running game? Did you forget that Steve Fairchild is our OC?

We still need depth at LB and we're taking a huge chance that Alexander or Siler will still be there, and another WR who can actually take pressure off of Evans is a big need.

I just don't see the point of picking a guy who definitely won't contribute in 07. Even if he sees the field, he's going to play like a rookie QB- Nall can do that.

Don't get me wrong- I still like the first two picks. But this one just defies logic.

kernowboy
04-29-2007, 10:42 AM
I think we need to consider this

We needed a QB - the drop off after Edwards was huge

It would also be nice to get a CB, another LB, a OL etc but there will still be choice of guys when we pick in the 4th and maybe even the 6th.

Edwards represented not drafting for need but the BPA approach. And certainly not have been there in the 4th

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 10:46 AM
I think we need to consider this

We needed a QB - the drop off after Edwards was huge

It would also be nice to get a CB, another LB, a OL etc but there will still be choice of guys when we pick in the 4th and maybe even the 6th.

Edwards represented not drafting for need but the BPA approach. And certainly not have been there in the 4th

I disagree that we needed a QB. If JP goes down, Nall will suck and so will Edwards. So we should have used it on one of those other positions instead of on a player who will only play in a "what if" scenario and won't be any better than what we have for that scenario (at least not in 2007).

Mr. Miyagi
04-29-2007, 10:54 AM
:bf1::bf1: Great summary :dozer:!!

I would like to see us get Alexander or Siler with our next pick, then I'll be very very happy about our draft. :miyagi: