IMO only the Panthers and Rams beat us on Day1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMO only the Panthers and Rams beat us on Day1

Looking at each team on Day1 courtesy of MSN Foxsports there have been some intriguing picks but also some incredible reaches.

Whilst Cleveland had a great R1 with Thomas and Quinn it has cost them a R1 in 2008 and they must be hoping one of the 2008 class slip etc

Having made three solid choices in Lynch, Polsuzny and Edwards I think only the Panthers and the Rams got top talent with each of their picks

R1 Beason 25 (Panthers) Carriker 13 (Rams)
    R2 Jarrett 45 (Panthers) Leonard 52 (Rams)
    Kalil 59 (Panthers)
    R3 Johnson 83 (Panthers) Tyler 82 (Rams) & Wade 84 (Rams)

I still like ours just as much

On Day2, I would like to see an OL, a 2nd LB, a TE, and CB. I also want us to grab two FB as OFAs

I think the big No2 WR will wait until 2008 unless we luck out with someone in the 7th
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: IMO only the Panthers and Rams beat us on Day1

Carolina did really well on paper.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
      • Oct 2002

Browns had a heck of a day one as well..

Comment

Originally posted by LEFTY
        Browns had a heck of a day one as well..
        But they acquired pretty serious backage in Wright and have no R1 in 2008. If Lewis only stays a year they are going to be waiting and waiting while all those RBs fly off the board. Unless the move up and give up a hell of a lot again.

Thats why I mentioned they had a good draft so far but at a higher than normal cost

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by kernowboy
          But they acquired pretty serious backage in Wright and have no R1 in 2008. If Lewis only stays a year they are going to be waiting and waiting while all those RBs fly off the board. Unless the move up and give up a hell of a lot again.

Thats why I mentioned they had a good draft so far but at a higher than normal cost
          I honestly think the only good move the Browns did on Day 1 was the move up to get Eric Wright. Charges against him were dropped, he went to UNLV and became an honor roll student. Seems to me that he's at least trying to clean his act up. He was easily a top 10-15 talent in this draft but the character concerns pushed him down to Rd2. I'm sure he realizes his boneheaded move as a kid cost him millions as further incentive to stay on the straight and narrow.

I still don't like the pick of Thomas, at all. Don't like Quinn as a player and liked the move up for him even less. I'm cool with Wright, he partially saved a disastrous day 1.

Comment

• NFLfan
            • Mar 2007

you guys gotta give my 49ers some credit
            Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Jason Hill, Ray McDonald and the trade (a late 4th round pick) for darrell jackson should go through now that he passed his physical.
            We lost our 2008 1st round pick trading for Staley but got a 2008 1st round pick from the colts so all is good :-)

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by kernowboy
              Looking at each team on Day1 courtesy of MSN Foxsports there have been some intriguing picks but also some incredible reaches.

Whilst Cleveland had a great R1 with Thomas and Quinn it has cost them a R1 in 2008 and they must be hoping one of the 2008 class slip etc

Having made three solid choices in Lynch, Polsuzny and Edwards I think only the Panthers and the Rams got top talent with each of their picks

R1 Beason 25 (Panthers) Carriker 13 (Rams)
              R2 Jarrett 45 (Panthers) Leonard 52 (Rams)
              Kalil 59 (Panthers)
              R3 Johnson 83 (Panthers) Tyler 82 (Rams) & Wade 84 (Rams)

I still like ours just as much

On Day2, I would like to see an OL, a 2nd LB, a TE, and CB. I also want us to grab two FB as OFAs

I think the big No2 WR will wait until 2008 unless we luck out with someone in the 7th
              I actually disagree here.

I think the key concept is what each draftee could mean to the team.

Buffalo drafted 2 guys that were top 15 talents, will start day one, and will play at a very high level right off the bat. But I think the biggest seperator is the intangible part which is BOTH of our picks could become top 5 or 10 players at there spots. Nothing is a sure thing but thats my belief.

Beason is at best a solid LB, he doesnt have the intangibles that Puz does. Puz has Urlacher type potential, Beason is likely to become a solid MLB like Mike Peterson, hes not at the Vilma level and likely will never be.

Lynch could become a Marshall Faulk type runner. He has all the same skills. Hes the durable complete RB that we havent had since Thurman. Think about it, McGahee had the durability issue, and was me oriented. He lacked break tackle ability, and wasnt going to beat anyone around the edge. Henry had fumbling issues at times, lacked deep speed. He also was a bit more of a N-S runner and not a great RB around the edge. Yet here comes Lynch and the start of the Lynch mob. Excellent vision, good size, breaks tackles, catches out ofthe backfield, deep speed, around the edge runner, drags tacklers, plays with a nasty streak, and shows up every game.

Carriker is an overachiever but at best could hope to be Wistrom. Leonard is an overachiever but also a tweener, he isnt your classic FB and he doesnt have top notch run skills either. He will be an overachiever and will make plays, but hes more like a Wes Welker than a Landanian Tomlinson. He reminds me alot of Kleinsasser.

Kalili was great value where they got him. But he also got blasted pretty good against the DT's at the combine practices, they arent even NFL players. Kalil can be good, maybe even a top 5 C. Its great value, but hes not dominant yet.

I really like Tyler, but he is inconsistent.

We got top playmakers, with top potential, overacheivers who will start day one.

The Panthers and Rams got good players to but didnt get the same potential IMO.

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
                • Aug 2005

I love the Eric Wright pick for the Browns he isnt a bad kid. I think Carolina and St. Louis had great drafts that may be a little ahead of ours especially Carolina, but our draft is nothing to laugh at. Thw two guys we got at the top are going to be fan favorites as well as solid players. I think JP and Marshawn are going to do some special things this season with his ability to catch out of the backfield. I see him as a poor man's Reggie Bush kinda in terms of recieving ability. GREAT JOB MARV!!!!
                SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                  I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                  • May 2005

I definitely think Carolina has the best Day 1 on paper, but you never know how it's all going to pan out until they hit the field...

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by NFLfan
                    Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Jason Hill, Ray McDonald and the trade (a late 4th round pick) for darrell jackson should go through now that he passed his physical.
                    We lost our 2008 1st round pick trading for Staley but got a 2008 1st round pick from the colts so all is good :-)
                    The 49rs are catching Lightning in a bottle. These guys will be in the playoffs next year. They have finally turned the corner there.

Awesome draft.

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by NFLfan
                      I'd put you guys right up there, no doubt. Excellent draft! I had you guys as being on the verge of a playoff team too. This draft just confirms that. My neighbor is a 49ers fan and it looks like you guys will be hitting our schedule soon. Hopefully it's in Buffalo so we can make a road trip.

Comment

Working...
                      X