PDA

View Full Version : 1st Day My Take

!Papacrunk!
04-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Even though my opnion has as much worth as the mouse I'm using, here's my take to my team and even though no one asked, the Bills draft as well. Be forewarned, this is a very long post, and I don't think it's overly homeristic, but it truthfully will have some aspects to that :respect:

Overall we needed help on the offensive side big time, and it's finally getting addressed through the draft:

1st round, WR/KR Ted Ginn Jr OSU: Call it spin but here's my thoughts: To state the obvious, or to state what every one else is saying, it was a shock at #9. Thanks to the Quinn hype machine, it added sting to some Dolphins fans that got enamored by the ND QB. I wouldn't have been upset by the pick, but I'm not crying that Quinn wasn't picked. With Marino being our last 1st round QB taken, if the 1st round pick in Quinn wouldn't win his first 16 games on his shoulders he'd be crucified by the fans for not being Marino Deux. Call it more spin, that's why I think it's great that we picked a QB in the 2nd round, see below. Now on to the actual pick. Of any place for Ginn to grow, I think Miami should work out well for him. Cameron is allegedly the guru on offense, knowing how to utilize the most out of someone/get the best out of him. In the beginning, Ginn's easier contribution will be obviously on ST with returns. To be honest, I haven't seen complete games on Ginn, I'm no Ginn expert, but from what I've seen the guy is crazy fast. What's that old sports cliche--you can't coach speed? Have him contribute on ST and work with him until he can really start contributing on the offense with Chambers, Hagan, and possibly Marty Booker as well. People will say that we reached for him, but like Whitner, we had a need and our need was for a big spark on offense.

2nd Round b, QB John Beck BYU: Disclaimer, I haven't seen any of Becks's game, so I will give my opinion on the situation and repeat some things that I've read up about him. It's common sense, but here's a good quote from Randy Mueller that seems to make sense why a QB was taken in the 2nd round pick as opposed to the 1st, this quote was before the draft:

"Most of the time they're thrown out there and have to carry a team, a franchise and a city right away, and that's a lot," Mueller said. "Ask David Carr [Houston's underachieving top pick of 2002, now with Carolina] and some of these other guys, and I think you can evaluate for days and weeks and months and you won't know the answer to that question."
Beck is one of the guys that Cameron and Mueller had spent a lot of time scouting and bringing in for visits, as well as Drew Stanton. From what I've read, it seems like they were very impressed with Beck's intelligence, quick release, and accuarcy. With some of the QBs we've had, I'm glad to see those ingredients: intelligence, quick release, and accuarcy in the future QB. JOHN BECK IS 26: With so many people throwing around the word character, especially since it's oddly become a trendy feature now lol, Beck may be 26 but two of those years he was busy doing mission work in Portugal. You have to appreciate that, especially since it really gets preached here. I'm happy with the Beck pick, and initially I'd rather the coach and GM pick the QB THEY want, not the one fans and the media wants.

2nd Roundb, C Samson Satele, Hawaii: Here's another need, help on the o-line and how cool of a name to have but Samson (he does have long hair too, lol.) We already have a starter for our center position in Rex Hadnot, but with both Hadnot and Satele having experience at center and guard, I'm sure they'll be able to get the best person for either of the job.For another disclaimer, Satele is another guy I'm not experienced in watching but here's some quick bits on him that I've read: is experienced at C, G, and T. Has good balance, great awareness, picks up the blitz and plays with a really big mean streak. One knock is that he's undersized, but get the Hawiian to a buffet, and it will be all gravy.

3rd Round, RB Lorenzo Booker FSU: The cupboard is bare since the team lost Sammy Morris as a RFA, and chose not to pick up Travis Minor's contract, so I was hoping we'd pick up a RB in the draft. I really don't know if Ricky Williams will be allowed back, even though he's been good and has supposedly passed all of his tests, so it's great that we spent a 1st day pick on RB IMO. From what I've read, he seems to have a lot of speed, is elusive, and can catch out of the backfield with good route running ability. I'm really curious to see how Cameron will utilize Brown, as well as this rookie in Booker.

As far as 2nd day stuff, it seems like the rumor is that the Chiefs have knocked down their offer to a 4th rounder, which wouldn't be horrible, but I wouldn't mind giving up one of our 6th round picks for Green. It'd be awesome to give up nothing and have Culpepper be 100% and get back to his '04 form, but that just doesn't seem to be in the cards at this time.
I would like to see the Phins pick some defensive needs on the 2nd day and also pick up a punter, maybe LSU's P Chris Jackson.

HERE'S MY THOUGHTS ON THE BILLS DRAFT:

I think the Bills did a very good job on day one, very solid. THe Bills filled the needs so far, with RB and LB being the biggest one so far. Lynch is going to be one bad mamma jamma in this league, and hopefully he won't have those big games twice against us each year. Posluszny (it will be a while that I'll be able to spell his name correctly w/o help, lol) has a lot of potential to be a taller Zach Thomas for you guys. It seems like his best qualities are the most important--great instincts and athleticism. I really think Poz will have a greater impact than Lynch, and Lynch is one helluva player. Edwards--I'm getting to be a firm believer that teams should take a QB each year, need or not--look at the Packers and what their "alumni" have done. Who knows if Edwards will be like that, but he was sure worth that shot, especially in that round. Overall, very good 1st day for the Bills.

Michael82
04-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Great post, man! :bf1:

BillsFanInMass
04-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Good Post i really like the Bills draft. I really want Siler next.

Devin
04-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Great post dude, while no one will convince me GInn was a good pick you guys did have a great 1st day imo.

:bf1:

patmoran2006
04-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Crunk..

really solid post,I love when people express their opinions this way.. Very, VERY good.

I disagree though.. I think Miami had a terrible draft, and Im not one of the people on here who love to blast everything Miami does.

Im just not feeling this draft though.. Not at all. Take Quinn at 9 and you still get a speedy WR like Sidney RIce or Jason Hill in round 2 if thats big a need.

Mitchy moo
04-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Papa, The Ginn pick would of been a good one @ a later spot than 9. You guys could of traded down several spots and picked up a extra 2nd rounder and still got Ginn. Ginn has speed and could obviously be a game changer so I do not think it he was a bad pick, just picked at the wrong time.

!Papacrunk!
04-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Crunk..

really solid post,I love when people express their opinions this way.. Very, VERY good.

I disagree though.. I think Miami had a terrible draft, and Im not one of the people on here who love to blast everything Miami does.

Im just not feeling this draft though.. Not at all. Take Quinn at 9 and you still get a speedy WR like Sidney RIce or Jason Hill in round 2 if thats big a need.

no problem at all, not everyone is going to see eye to eye, that's the beautiful part about message boards.

In regards to what others have said about location and time of our Ginn pick, of anybody, Bills fans should understand 1st round placement and the picks they choose. Amidst all of the trades, it didn't seem like anyone wanted to dance, plus the Texans with the next pick really liked Ginn, so he probably wasn't going to be there, but I guess the Texans thought they'd take a chance and expected us to take Quinn.

patmoran2006
04-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Crunk..

Its not the placement of Ginn I have the big problem with (well I would if I was a MIami fan).. Its that they took Ginn at All.

I dont think he's that good, and there are about 5-6 other WR's in the draft I would have rooted for before him (again , If Im a MIami fan)

With Whitner, I dont think anybody had a problem with him as a good player, it was about draft position. to me with Ginn, I dont think he's the 2nd best WR in the draft.

!Papacrunk!
04-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Crunk..

Its not the placement of Ginn I have the big problem with (well I would if I was a MIami fan).. Its that they took Ginn at All.

I dont think he's that good, and there are about 5-6 other WR's in the draft I would have rooted for before him (again , If Im a MIami fan)

With Whitner, I dont think anybody had a problem with him as a good player, it was about draft position. to me with Ginn, I dont think he's the 2nd best WR in the draft.

the funny thing is, I may be wrong, but going by the Billszone draft guide he is :respect: