PDA

View Full Version : Trent Edwards vs CB, LB, or WR

BuffaloBlakely14
04-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Man oh man how ironic is this, the only pick over the past I dont remember how long drafts that we are getting praised for by EVERYONE in the media universally, is the pick that most of the board posters hate.

While I was definitely on the train to take Hughes or Siler or Rufus Alexander or Tanard Jackson, and was extremely surprised to see Trent Edwards's name called, I have to say I am more than coming around to it, and actually love it.

The kid had easily moved into everyones Top 3 or 4 QBs in this draft, and was easily the best player available at the time, and was a true steal. Lets face it, we needed a young QB to develop and while maybe a little earlier than we expected, at the same time he is much less of a project and a much better QB than we expected. This is a perfect situation for both he and the Bills. He can be brought along at a snails pace, and learn under two established QBs, zero rush to get him in. He will most likely have at least 2 years in the system before he is asked to do anything. This is a great thing, as opposed to the situation most young QBs are put in these days.

He showed great class and poise in dealing with the drop and the cameras in his face all day, and he definitely seems like a high character, smart, and family oriented guy. I agree with everyone, including ESPN, this may be the steal of the draft to this point.

This will be a 100 times better if Ashton Youboty steps up and plays like he is capable of.

Siler, Alexander, and Jackson are all still available and one may be had with our 4th.

Quick blurb on Trent Edwards vs. Hughes from www.scout.com that makes me much happier we took Edwards.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/639581.html

32 95 Indianapolis Daymeion Hughes, CB Cal – Poor workouts overshadowed an ultra-productive last two seasons when he played at an All-America level as both a pass defender and a run stopping corner. He doesn’t have the raw skills, and he isn’t tough enough at an NFL level, to become a top corner, but he’ll be a solid pro for several years. Expect him to be a good number two or nickelback more than a number one shut-down man.

29 92 Buffalo (from Baltimore) Trent Edwards, QB Stanford – A pure physical specimen, he has the NFL body … for an outside linebacker. He never got much time to work behind a porous line and got banged up year after year. He looks the part and could shine once he gets a good line, and NFL skill players, to work with

Philagape
04-29-2007, 09:03 AM
If it had been one more round, I'd feel better about it

BuffaloBlakely14
04-29-2007, 09:31 AM
No way he would have been available in the 4th.

Philagape
04-29-2007, 09:35 AM
No way he would have been available in the 4th.

No one thought he'd be there at our pick in the third. For whatever reason, five other teams that drafted QBs passed on him, and he lasted 28 picks in the third round.

Philagape
04-29-2007, 09:38 AM
I don't hate the pick, but one (or more) of several scenarios have to come about for it to be justified.