PDA

View Full Version : I have to question the Edwards pick....

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 09:14 AM
As I stated yesterday, I'm happy with the first two picks- they were solid players in positions of need and good value for where they picked them.

But the Edwards pick is out of nowhere. Don't get me wrong- I'm no huge Nall supporter. And I don't know enough about Edwards to comment on his personal abilitiy. But this team still has needs at LB depth, CB depth, WR, TE and arguably some other positions. Why take a QB who likely won't even see the field unless it's garbage time or there is an injury to Losman?

After round 2 I gave Marv an A-. I think I'm going to have to downgrade that to a B- after this pick. We definitely got better with the first two picks, but Edwards is not going to help us at all in 2007.

patmoran2006
04-29-2007, 09:24 AM
I dont mind the pick as much as others.

In ways it doesnt make sense, but in ways it does.. QB's go down a lot in the league and if you have a great backup your team's season isnt over should the starter go down.

Personally, I would've gone somewhere else but I can think of plenty of picks that coulda been worse.

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 09:27 AM
I dont mind the pick as much as others.

In ways it doesnt make sense, but in ways it does.. QB's go down a lot in the league and if you have a great backup your team's season isnt over should the starter go down.

Personally, I would've gone somewhere else but I can think of plenty of picks that coulda been worse.

well QB's take time to develop. If JP goes down early this year, he's not going to be much of an asset- it will be just like grooming a rookie QB all over again. Meanwhile, a pick at another position would have a much better chance of contributing this season.

I understand the need for a decent backup- I just think that it's a luxury pick for a team with this many needs.

DMBcrew36
04-29-2007, 09:28 AM
As of right now, Losman is progressing and what not, but should he fail or go down, Edwards could step in and be QB of the future. I'd rather we have used the pick for a LB or WR but I trust Marv. Edwards seems like a class act who is very bright. He could end up being a great QB. Seems like he was just stuck with a bad team at Stanford.

kgun12
04-29-2007, 09:36 AM
well QB's take time to develop. If JP goes down early this year, he's not going to be much of an asset- it will be just like grooming a rookie QB all over again. Meanwhile, a pick at another position would have a much better chance of contributing this season.

I understand the need for a decent backup- I just think that it's a luxury pick for a team with this many needs.

Your point about it being a luxury pick is what makes me mad. We have a lot of holes and this pick was worse than the 8-8 team that took Willis knowing he could play for at least a year!

DMBcrew36
04-29-2007, 09:39 AM
I guess the Bills figured that there was no way they could pass up on him. I guess they were surprised he fell all the way to their late 3rd round pick.

Saratoga Slim
04-29-2007, 10:01 AM
As I stated yesterday, I'm happy with the first two picks- they were solid players in positions of need and good value for where they picked them.

But the Edwards pick is out of nowhere. Don't get me wrong- I'm no huge Nall supporter. And I don't know enough about Edwards to comment on his personal abilitiy. But this team still has needs at LB depth, CB depth, WR, TE and arguably some other positions. Why take a QB who likely won't even see the field unless it's garbage time or there is an injury to Losman?

After round 2 I gave Marv an A-. I think I'm going to have to downgrade that to a B- after this pick. We definitely got better with the first two picks, but Edwards is not going to help us at all in 2007.

Op, I think the key to your point above is "this team still has needs at LB depth, CB depth, WR and arguably some other positions." if we were drafting for depth at 92 anyway, is it really that big a deal that we went for depth at QB as opposed to one of those other positions? Dick said they took Edwards cause there was a very large gap on their value board between him and the remaining players.

I would have preferred to see us grab Daymeon Hughes or perhaps a WR myself, and I can't get actively excited about this pick, but I don't think it was a terrible move.

gil
04-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Your point about it being a luxury pick is what makes me mad. We have a lot of holes and this pick was worse than the 8-8 team that took Willis knowing he could play for at least a year!

I'm sorry, but spending a 3rd rounder on an at least an arguably "need" position - after already addressing two big needs is not worse than spending a first rounder on a RB with a blown knee when you already have Travis Henry.

That being said, I still would have preferred that they go after another position, but oh well.

RedEyE
04-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Let's look at it this way: The Bills needed another QB. Now, in the draft you weigh value versus necessity. Mayock ranked Edwards as the 3rd talented QB in the draft behind Russel and Quinn, yet he dropped all the way to the 3rd round.

If you look at DLine, there was already way too many picks off the board lowering the overall value for what was left. Considering the Bills needs, the available CBs, LBs, and OL were also of lower value or within the 3rd round expectation.

Edwards was a 2nd round projected QB, and some experts even valued his abilities as a 1st round talent if he hadn't been injured early his senior year.

IMO, the Bills got the best value for their pick and still filled a roster slot. A job well done IMO.

With that being said, I think this is the best Bills draft (day one) that I've seen in a loooong time.

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Op, I think the key to your point above is "this team still has needs at LB depth, CB depth, WR and arguably some other positions." if we were drafting for depth at 92 anyway, is it really that big a deal that we went for depth at QB as opposed to one of those other positions? Dick said they took Edwards cause there was a very large gap on their value board between him and the remaining players.

I would have preferred to see us grab Daymeon Hughes or perhaps a WR myself, and I can't get actively excited about this pick, but I don't think it was a terrible move.

Let's put it to you this way- you play 3 LB's at a time and 2 CB's at a time (3 in nickel coverage) and 2-3 WR's (depending on the offensive set), but only one QB at a time. So, the chances of an injury are increased by the simple matter of numbers- it's not uncommon for a team to go a whole season without a QB injury, but it is uncommon for a team to go a whole season without having a single injury at CB or LB or WR.

Combine that with the fact that QB has the highest learning curve of any position in the NFL, and the chances of getting production out of a 3rd round QB in 2007 are FAR LESS than the chances of getting production out of a CB, LB, WR, etc. That's why I think this pick is questionable.

raphael120
04-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Well all I can say is if JP blows a goat this season, we have our Marv guy.

ddaryl
04-29-2007, 10:16 AM
We had a bigtime need for a #2 or #3 QB... SO I really fail to see how this was abad pick.

Injuries happen, contracts happen, and there is still the fact that JP hasn't been a pro-bowl QB or put up many flashy games. Having a guy that can be groomed, get time in camps and doing clip board work and be there when we need someone to step in seems to be a smart move.

I still think JP is going to continue to improve and remain our starter, but I have no problem with bringing in a QB who can be apart of our system and develope in case the unthinkables happen.

We could've taken a QB on day 2, but why pass up on a guy that rates higher then the rest of the players on your board at other positions of need.

2nd string/3rd string QB was a huge need, and we got a player who has a possible upside to boot.

I give the pick another A along with Lynch = A and Pos = A

straight A's IMO

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 10:18 AM
We had a bigtime need for a #2 or #3 QB... SO I really fail to see how this was abad pick.

Injuried happen, contracts happen, and there is still the fact that JP hasn't been a pro-bowl QB or put up many flashy games. Having a guy that can be groomed, get time in camps and doing clip board work and be there when we need someone to step in seems to be a smart move.

We could've taken a QB on day 2, but why pass up on a guy that rates higher then the rest of the players on your board at other positions of need.

2nd string/3rd string QB was a huge need, and we got a player who has a possible upside to boot.

I give the pick another A along with Lynch = A and Pos = A

straight A's IMO

It's a bad pick because he's highly unlikely to contribute this year, whereas an LB or CB or especially WR would stand a much higher chance of contributing this year. Backup QB's are a luxury for teams that don't lack depth at almost every position. We certainly don't fit that description.

ddaryl
04-29-2007, 10:28 AM
It's a bad pick because he's highly unlikely to contribute this year, whereas an LB or CB or especially WR would stand a much higher chance of contributing this year. Backup QB's are a luxury for teams that don't lack depth at almost every position. We certainly don't fit that description.

That is a bit short sighted IMO. and rebulding teams, or teams building for the future don't have the luxury of waiting until they have every single position in place before finding their backup, or having a legitimate insurance policy at QB for those unexpected down the road situations..

What happens if JP gets seriously injured ? Nall might be the short term answer, but what happens if he struggles. Would you rather pick up some of the FA crap that is out there, or would you rathter have a player who can learn in an enviroment conducive for getting up to speed without the pressure of become a franchise savior, with the added possibility of actually developing into a #1 QB if need be or situation dictates.

The FACT still remains we are a team that is rebuilding, retooling, and reshaping, therefore you grab players that fill the needs that the organization feels have the best chance of being here long term and having an impact long term. We could've drafted a CB or WR at #3, but many of the players we would have taken at #3 will be there at our #4 pick. Where as Edwards was more then likely gone.

I like the idea of having Edwards developing in the backgrund because a year from now or 2 years from now JP could be regressing or he could be injured or he could all of sudden become a ***** who thinks he deserves a bigger than earned payday in which case we would have no one waiting to step in.

We'll fill some more holes today, and we'll still have a few bucks to play with in FA for those June 1st cuts that may be used to address a position.

SoCalBillsFan
04-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Even if he doesn't play this year, I still like the pick. No position is as important as the QB position, and JP is no sure thing. What if he stinks this year? We wont have to draft a QB in rd 1 next year, because Edwards has the ability to be a franchise QB.

Yeah, we could have gotten a third round CB, LB, etc. But there's no guarantee that would have helped us either. Those are high risk picks too.

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 10:33 AM
That is a bit short sighted IMO. and rebulding teams, or teams building for the future don't have the luxury of waiting until they have every single position in place before finding their backup, or having a legitimate insurance policy at QB for those unexpected down the road situations..

What happens if JP gets seriously injured ? Nall might be the short term answer, but what happens if he struggles. Would you rather pick up some of the FA crap that is out there, or would you rathter have a player who can learn in an enviroment conducive for getting up to speed without the pressure of become a franchise savior, with the added possibility of actually developing into a #1 QB if need be or situation dictates.

The FACT still remains we are a team that is rebuilding, retooling, and reshaping, therefore you grab players that fill the needs that the organization feels have the best chance of being here long term and having an impact long term. We could've drafted a CB or WR at #3, but many of the players we would have taken at #3 will be there at our #4 pick. Where as Edwards was more then likely gone.

I like the idea of having Edwards developing in the backgrund because a year from now or 2 years from now JP could be regressing or he could be injured or he could all of sudden become a ***** who thinks he deserves a bigger than earned payday in which case we would have no one waiting to step in.

We'll fill some more holes today, and we'll still have a few bucks to play with in FA for those June 1st cuts that may be used to address a position.

If JP gets seriously injured and Nall struggles, mark my words- Edwards will struggle too.

We took a player for "what if" scenarios when we still need players for common, every Sunday scenarios.

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Knocking down your grade based on a late 3rd round pick?????

C'mon. Isn't the 1st and 2nd round a little more important? Not many 3rd round picks have big impacts their first year. Sometimes a team gets lucky and later round picks pan out inyear one (Simpson, Williams).

The draft is about more than year one impact. These later rounds are used to take BPA.

People need to calm down over this pick.

justasportsfan
04-29-2007, 10:46 AM
I knew MArv screwed up on the Nall thing. We should've kept Holcomb.

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 10:47 AM

C'mon. Isn't the 1st and 2nd round a little more important? Not many 3rd round picks have big impacts their first year. Sometimes a team gets lucky and later round picks pan out inyear one (Simpson, Williams).

The draft is about more than year one impact. These later rounds are used to take BPA.

knocking the grade down on holes that weren't filled. If JP gets injured and Edwards has to play, he won't be any better than Nall. This was a waste when we still have positions of need that should be much higher priority- that's why I knocked the grade down.

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2007, 10:56 AM
knocking the grade down on holes that weren't filled. If JP gets injured and Edwards has to play, he won't be any better than Nall. This was a waste when we still have positions of need that should be much higher priority- that's why I knocked the grade down.

The 3rd round is BPA. You do not pick for "need" that late. If there is a player very highly rated still on the board, you draft him.

SoCalBillsFan
04-29-2007, 10:57 AM
I think they are thinking about more than just this year.

kgun12
04-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Did you see the start of the draft today on espn? They said 8 starters on the field duringthe Super Bowl were drafted on day 2 last year! I think you terribley under estimate the importances of rounds 3-7!

Crisis
10-23-2008, 02:15 AM
:D

Dujek
10-23-2008, 03:20 AM
Nice find...

Griff
10-23-2008, 03:50 AM

pretty sneaky sis.

BADTHINGSMAN
10-23-2008, 04:01 AM
Op had a legit argument at that time. Its easy to look back now and say what a great pick.

PECKERWOOD
10-23-2008, 04:25 AM
I won't lie, when we picked Trent I was like "WTF!." I'm pretty sure Losman was coming off a solid season at the time of that draft.

Night Train
10-23-2008, 04:36 AM
The point was the positional pick, not Edwards himself.

I was surprised as anyone when a QB was selected there.

Griff
10-23-2008, 05:49 AM
I won't lie, when we picked Trent I was like "WTF!." I'm pretty sure Losman was coming off a solid season at the time of that draft.

Yeah I was pretty dumb founded too, I thought it was a waste at the time, all but a handful of Edwards fanboys did if I remember.

PromoTheRobot
10-23-2008, 10:50 AM
I think the Edwards pick shows that we fans don't always know our teams needs. And sometimes the front office knows something we don't. That said, the draft is still a crap shoot and anyone who says they can predict who will succeed in the NFL is lying or high on something. Good for us that we got Edwards.

PTR

justasportsfan
10-23-2008, 10:55 AM
It's not in this thread but was I the only one who defended the Trent pick ?

THATHURMANATOR
10-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Whoa Op was wrong AGAIN!!!!

cocamide
10-23-2008, 11:02 AM

There's a guy named Marv Levy who defended it. Granted, he's not as smart as Op or anyone else here, but he's no idiot either.

justasportsfan
10-23-2008, 11:07 AM
There's a guy named Marv Levy who defended it. Granted, he's not as smart as Op or anyone else here, but he's no idiot either.
he must've read my posts

:couch:

Forward_Lateral

No. I know a few of us that liked the pick from the get-go, myself included.

Oaf
:lolpoint:
If JP gets seriously injured and Nall struggles, mark my words- Edwards will struggle too.

justasportsfan
10-23-2008, 11:08 AM
No. I know a few of us that liked the pick from the get-go, myself included.
kewl.

Historian
10-23-2008, 11:09 AM

Just you and me bro...

chernobylwraiths
10-23-2008, 11:10 AM

:rofl:

BAM
10-23-2008, 11:11 AM
I remember making fun of him with a bunch of friends during that draft because they kept showing him on TV sitting on his couch waiting to be picked. Then the Bills picked him. I was indifferent on him though. No real opinion I just figured he was depth at the time.

trapezeus
10-23-2008, 11:12 AM
i thought it was a luxury pick since it seemed like losman was about to turn the corner. i think i was even on the record for saying that losman was better than Eli if he could play for a team like the giants. But i guess some guys need excuses as to why they aren't succeeding and others just find ways to

i'm happy to eat crow

justasportsfan
10-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Just you and me bro...
you licker.

Dr. Lecter
10-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Just you and me bro...

Hey!

I did too.

madness
10-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Wow, Mudflap needs to eat some serious crow or we're all still wearing some Cardinal-colored glasses. :snicker:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=125967

northernbillfan
10-23-2008, 11:21 AM
There's a guy named Marv Levy who defended it. Granted, he's not as smart as Op or anyone else here, but he's no idiot either.I love Marv Levy for putting this team together.

justasportsfan
10-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Wow, Mudflap needs to eat some serious crow or we're all still wearing some Cardinal-colored glasses. :snicker:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=125967
you forgot to mention FTY. :snicker:

SABURZFAN
10-23-2008, 11:25 AM
I think the Edwards pick shows that we fans don't always know our teams needs. And sometimes the front office knows something we don't.

PTR

speak for yourself. :rolleyes:

SABURZFAN
10-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Whoa Op was wrong AGAIN!!!!

key word... AGAIN!!!!!

SABURZFAN
10-23-2008, 11:27 AM
you licker.

it takes one to know one...... :up:

zone
10-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I remember when he did his first interview or something and at the time he was obviously the 3rd string qb and at the beginning of the interview he introduced himself; "Hi I'm Trent Edwards THE quarterback of the Buffalo Bills".

I loved that... If someone still has that post it.

justasportsfan
10-23-2008, 11:28 AM
it takes one to know one...... :up:

don't you have more crying to do about censorship?

SABURZFAN
10-23-2008, 11:30 AM
don't you have more crying to do about censorship?

don't you have to firmly stick your head up Lossman's butt cheeks? :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
10-23-2008, 11:30 AM
don't you have to firmly stick your head up Lossman's butt cheeks? :rolleyes:
I didn't see you defending the Trent pick like some of us were. :rolleyes:

you must be one of those who wait for results before you make opinions to make it look like you know what you're talking about.

SABURZFAN
10-23-2008, 11:31 AM
I didn't see you defending the Trent pick like some of us were. :rolleyes:

i don't see me bashing the pick either. :rolleyes:

SABURZFAN
10-23-2008, 11:33 AM
you must be one of those who wait for results before you make opinions to make it look like you know what you're talking about.

just like i did with the Lossman pick.... NEXT!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
10-23-2008, 11:36 AM
i don't see me bashing the pick either. :rolleyes:
like I said. you waited for results before formulating an opinion. Next!

SABURZFAN
10-23-2008, 11:40 AM

think what you want, justalicker. unlike some people who think they know everything, i don't talk out of my ass.

Bill Cody
10-23-2008, 11:57 AM
i thought it was a luxury pick since it seemed like losman was about to turn the corner.

Losman was going to turn the corner but but then he held the ball and fumbled.

SABURZFAN
10-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Losman was going to turn the corner but but then he held the ball and fumbled.

but it was everybody elses fault... not Lossman's.

Dr. Lecter
10-23-2008, 12:02 PM
think what you want, justalicker. unlike some people who think they know everything, i don't talk out of my ass.

But your head is up there half of the time......

SABURZFAN
10-23-2008, 12:05 PM

did you fart or is that your breath?

madness
10-23-2008, 12:16 PM
you forgot to mention FTY. :snicker:

I don't think it's really necessary at this point. :D

The last buffalo fan
10-23-2008, 12:18 PM
I was wrong too! :ill:

justasportsfan
10-23-2008, 12:40 PM
is that why people that were in the BZ gathering said he smelled like ass ? :idunno:

SABURZFAN
10-24-2008, 09:24 AM

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=125907

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!

SABURZFAN
10-24-2008, 09:25 AM
is that why people that were in the BZ gathering said he smelled like ass ? :idunno:

name them. :rolleyes:

X-Era
10-24-2008, 03:37 PM

Im an Edwards fan, dont get me wrong.

But its annoying when people do this crap.

Every single person on this board screws up a prediction... every one of us.

Pointing it out just makes "the post" look like an ass.

I got news, I used think JP was all we needed. I also thought Joey Harrington would be good. And, I thought Mike Williams was gonna be great.

Wow, I guess I should be fired... Oh wait, I'm not getting paid.

TacklingDummy
10-24-2008, 04:13 PM

No.

Nighthawk
10-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Im an Edwards fan, dont get me wrong.

But its annoying when people do this crap.

Every single person on this board screws up a prediction... every one of us.

Pointing it out just makes "the post" look like an ass.

I got news, I used think JP was all we needed. I also thought Joey Harrington would be good. And, I thought Mike Williams was gonna be great.

Wow, I guess I should be fired... Oh wait, I'm not getting paid.

:goodpost:

Ingtar33
10-25-2008, 06:49 AM
This post seems a bit overboard... I was neutral on Edwards when the bills picked him, so if he turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread that's one hell of a blown call

and QB evaluation was my greatest strength as a talent evaluator.

we all make mistakes (yes, i missed on Mike Williams as well. though i still think he would have been a great pro had he pulled his head out of his backside, and stubbornly refuse to believe i missed on that pick)

Confused
10-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Dragging up old posts is a chilsish form of I-told-ya-so

jmb1099
10-25-2008, 09:12 AM
When I was younger it seemed like good fun to point out people's mistakes for a laugh. But now that I'm a bit older I realize that its a cheap laugh at best. Sometimes it's just better to let people have a moment of grace rather than subject them to humiliation.

Jan Reimers
10-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Hindsight is 20/20. We've all had our hits and misses, as has the Front Office. They've just had a few more hits.

raphael120
10-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Well Op was kinda right...Trent did pretty much struggle in the latter part of the season...sure he didn't kill us, but he didn't win many games for us either. Didn't we have a 3 game losing streak at the end of the season? Those were pretty brutal.

But hey, now Trent learned from that, he's seemingly over his struggles, and now he's better than ever. Something you'd expect from a QB...progress, not regression COUGH COUGH JP COUGH COUGH.

He's WINNING games for us now, not managing. I'm happy that things have turned out the way they were...but at the same time, it's early in the season. I'll truely be sold when I see how Trent gets it done in cold weather because that's the Buffalo Bills bread and butter is succeeding and having an advantage when it comes to cold weather games.