So, patmoran....what's your thoughts on Day 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

So, patmoran....what's your thoughts on Day 1?

You got the RB you wanted and we still got Pos in the freaking 2nd round! What do you think? Are you finally becoming a fan of Marv? Did you stay away from the board yesterday because you finally felt like you had nothing negative to say about the team for a day?
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: So, patmoran....what's your thoughts on Day 1?

WTF I am trying to cut and paste something and it wont let me it freezes on me.. That's not cool

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• madness
      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
      WTF I am trying to cut and paste something and it wont let me it freezes on me.. That's not cool
      Ice is still haunting you.

Comment

• HAMMER
        I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by madness
        Ice is still haunting you.
        That's funny.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Still waiting pat.....

Comment

• ublinkwescore
            Sab and TD are insignificant
            • Sep 2002

Me too.
            www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Come on pat. You wanted me to post this thread and then you never post it....

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

I"ll get at ya at noon today..

Comment

• Mudflap1
                  Next Question!
                  • Nov 2004

Personally, if you want a naysayer, I'll step in. I didn't particularly like this draft, and I'll tell you why:

1. We had a chance to make a big splash and trade for a big time player. Didn't happen. You might say "oh, well the price must've been too high." Maybe, but if the Raiders were dumb enough to trade Randy Moss for a 4th round pick to the Patriots, we should've been able to make something happen for Briggs, Turner, Johnson, or somebody. By many reports, we were in the mix talking to all of those players, but we couldn't pull the trigger.

2. Marshawn Lynch is the pick I have the least problem with. Hopefully he'll be as good as advertised. He was the safe pick if the Bills were going to stand pat and not trade down. My concern is we got rid of one ghetto bird for another at running back. Ghetto birds and Buffalo don't really go together. We'll see though, maybe he'll pan out.

3. I like getting Posluszny in the 2nd round, but did we really need to give up our early third to move up 9 spots and get him? Not only that, but what do we do with our only remaining pick on Day 1 then? We draft a quarterback? Folks, I live on the west coast and have seen Trent Edwards play countless times. The guys sucks. Stanford sucks, and he sucks. For anyone who thinks this was a great depth pick, I have a couple questions for you: do you like quarterbacks who get sacked a lot and look confused on the field? Did you like Rob Johnson? Do you remember Randy Fasani or Steve Stenstrom? That's who we just got with our third round pick (only third round pick - because Pos was apparently worth a second and early third). Another Stanford retread. Great.

4. I can't complain too much with the rest of the draft picks. I'm a little confused as to why we took another RB when we easily could've signed Chris Brown or somebody as insurance out there, but whatever. My discontent is more with the Day 1 picks. We needed another WR, and probably another DT and/or CB. Instead we got the great Trent Edwards as our 16th string QB.

My conclusion: I hate to say it, but we are fans of the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL. Maybe one day 25 years from now this grass roots approach will work and we'll squeeze into the playoffs with a storybook 9-7 season (only to have all of our star players from that year's team leave in free agency or trades the next year and start all over from scratch), but until then, it's going to be a long road, where we're going to always be chasing teams in our division that are miles ahead of us with creativity and iniative.

Sorry to be such a buzzkill.

Jon

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

Being on the west coast, you've certainly seen more of Edwards than me. A lot of what I've read is he's played on some terrible teams with deplorable OL's. I"ve read that he looked very impressive in workouts and with better talent around him should be better as a pro. I also know (I've seen a few interviews with him) that's a very intelligent person, and a high character guy (ya I know, I'm getting sick of hearing that phrase myself)

If Buffalo decided a QB was in the mix this year, there was really not any other viable choices other than Troy Smith.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                      Next Question!
                      • Nov 2004

I understand, but the third round? We totally screwed up the third round this year. There were other needs we could've addressed with those two picks then trading up 9 spots for Pos and giving a pick away, then drafting a crappy QB. Wouldn't a CB have made more sense?

Jon

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                        Unreachable Douche
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mudflap1
                        ? We draft a quarterback? Folks, I live on the west coast and have seen Trent Edwards play countless times. The guys sucks. Stanford sucks, and he sucks. For anyone who thinks this was a great depth pick, I have a couple questions for you: do you like quarterbacks who get sacked a lot and look confused on the field? Did you like Rob Johnson?
                        CoughJpLosmanCough

25th in sacks.

I guess Edwards will fit right in and I won't have to change my screen name.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Dec 2005

Jon
                          You're going to get grilled when people see this, but some of your points are definitely warranted. Hard to argue the Lynch pick with what was left... valid point about 2 picks for Pos (unless you're sold on him as a 1st rounder)... Edwards is a wash til further notice (but we did have other needs there).

Same goes for Wright, but now that he's here (with Lynch), I'm really curious to see how our RB approach looks this year. We could legitimately rush the ball 40+ times a game this year and have everyone fresh for the whole season. If our line does what we all think it should, that could mean 130-150 rushing yards per game. Plus, we should have a guy for every situation (short yardage, 1st and 10, 3rd and long), so JP will be given a little more time to be effective. I agree another WR would have made things even better, but they obviously didn't like what was left when the Edwards pick came up. The bottom line is that we have an offense that can grow together and become pretty strong in a year or two. We won't be Indy, but we could be on par with what NE has been the last few years. Hopefully that's enough to be a threat.

Comment

• jmb1099
                            • Sep 2004

If Losman continues to improve as does edwards than we either have a very capable backup or a trade down the road. If Losman falters then we at least have something to fall back on. Either way its a smart move. It is interesting that they brought in another guy that played behind a poor oline in college. With all the beef we've added to the line these guys are gonna think they have all day to throw the ball...hopefully it will translate into wins.
                            Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                            CoughJpLosmanCough

25th in sacks.

I guess Edwards will fit right in and I won't have to change my screen name.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Ihave no problem with his points.. Its what makes a mesage board go..

I dont want 100 kool aid responses to every post.. The guy has as huge problem with Edwards and our third round and expressed it.. I dont know all that much about Edwards. My first thought was scary pick but potentially a good one. Unless Marv saw a sure starter at CB, LB or WR with the third rounder, why not have good depth at QB instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X