PDA

View Full Version : Another RB- ****ing stupid

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 10:54 AM
We left Siler and Alexander on the board and we have no 5th round pick- they'll be long gone by the 6th. Say goodbye to any LB depth.

the only good thing about this pick is that we may finally be able to dump Shaud Williams' worthless ass.

But damn, our D is still hurting. 1 defensive pick in the first 4, one pick that will not help at all this year (Edwards) and 2 picks at the same position. My draft grade is steadily dropping.

Does Marv NOT know that we have no depth at LB or CB? And why has the FO done nothing about the crap we have at WR behind Evans?

kernowboy
04-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Siler maybe not be able to cover in the Tampa2, Alexander may only be able to play WLB.

I wouldn't have gone for a RB/FB here but he must have something

Mr. Miyagi
They know what they're doing.

Remember we drafted mostly all defense last season? Got us right on track with our rebuilding. This year is offense baby!

patmoran2006
I like wright and I think surprisingly he's a real good pick.

This goes back to us NOT being active enough in FA.. I'm really wishing we had signed a mid-level corner and LB now.. You cant deny those are holes.

But I DO see where Buffalo is going with Wright, and I dont mind this pick.. I see the "Thunder and Lightening" kind of RB approach they're looking to implement.

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 10:59 AM
They know what they're doing.

Remember we drafted mostly all defense last season? Got us right on track with our rebuilding. This year is offense baby!

right but
a) our D still sucked especially against the run
b) we lost 3 defensive starters.

So the fact that we went D last year does not mean we don't have to do it again this year, unfortunately.

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2007, 10:59 AM
AFTER THE 2ND ROUND YOU DON'T DRAFT FOR NEED. YOU DRAFT THE BPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calm down people. It is rare to find immediate starters and depth this late. Why draft a LB you think sucks just to draft a LB?

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2007, 11:00 AM
We have our starters at LB(Poz, Crowell, Ellison). The backups are the backups who cares? I am sure we can grab a veteran after the cut downs for depth. Stop spazzing out. CB depend 100% on Youboty at this point. If they think he can step in then that is that. WRs sure we could upgrade but Price, Parrish, and Reed are adequate.

Dr. Lecter
right but
a) our D still sucked especially against the run
b) we lost 3 defensive starters.

So the fact that we went D last year does not mean we don't have to do it again this year, unfortunately.

Our defense was 10th in points allowed.

OpIv37
AFTER THE 2ND ROUND YOU DON'T DRAFT FOR NEED. YOU DRAFT THE BPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calm down people. It is rare to find immediate starters and depth this late. Why draft a LB you think sucks just to draft a LB?

You're absolutely wrong.

Teams with less holes than the Bills can go BPA. Teams like the Bills have to go BPA in a POSITION OF NEED like Marv did in rounds 1 and 2. Given the number of needs this team has, that's not exactly a limiting criteria.

Stupid pick.

THATHURMANATOR

This goes back to us NOT being active enough in FA.. I'm really wishing we had signed a mid-level corner and LB now.. You cant deny those are holes.

But I DO see where Buffalo is going with Wright, and I dont mind this pick.. I see the "Thunder and Lightening" kind of RB approach they're looking to implement.
Wow I never thougth Pat would be the voice of reason.

Remember guys who's to say that a veteran still cant be brought in later on for CB or LB?

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2007, 11:01 AM
You're absolutely wrong.

Teams with less holes than the Bills can go BPA. Teams like the Bills have to go BPA in a POSITION OF NEED like Marv did in rounds 1 and 2. Given the number of needs this team has, that's not exactly a limiting criteria.

Stupid pick.
We went with need in Rounds 1 and 2 but those also happened to be BPA....

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2007, 11:02 AM
This sets up our Running backs for years to come.

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2007, 11:04 AM
You're absolutely wrong.

Stupid pick.

No, teams are built on taking good players. Not going out of your way to make fans happy.

It would be unlikely to get much help from the later round guys this year. It happens (and did last year). But taking players a team has ranked high is more of a priority. You know Marv's philosphy, much like that silly guy named Polian, is to take BPA.

HAMMER
04-29-2007, 11:04 AM
You're absolutely wrong.

Stupid pick.

I'm quite sure the Bills FO knows quite a bit more about football than you do. We have our starting defense set. The sooner you accept it and quit crying, the happier everyone will be.

The Spaz
04-29-2007, 11:06 AM
He can also play FB. I think we could have our Hammer & Nail running game!:up:

acehole
04-29-2007, 11:08 AM
The only thing I can think of is those cover 2 lb/cb's can be found even in the LATER PARTS of the draft....

I hope so...or they like ellison.

I think we need one more DB ...sheesh youboty on moss?

Puke..

MarvLevy
04-29-2007, 11:09 AM
i hate the lynch and pos pick-ups...
i love the edwards and wright pick-ups...

scroll down

just kidding...lol

YardRat
Lynch and Wright better turn out to be this year's version of Whitner and Simpson...except 10 times better.

G. Host
I am wondering if they are planning on using Wright as a RB/FB role - he runs with good pad lervel and is and is an above average blocker which is unusual for college RBs. When they need maximum protection they put him in as a change of pace back.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/dwaynewright.html

HHURRICANE
04-29-2007, 11:10 AM
We needed more depth at LB. We aren't getting that in the 6th and 7th rounds. I'm a little surprised considering how deep RB is next year.

Is there a veteran out there that we are still targeting? We must be. Jauron's comments were very ineteresting about rookies.

Stewie
04-29-2007, 11:11 AM
We left Siler and Alexander on the board and we have no 5th round pick- they'll be long gone by the 6th. Say goodbye to any LB depth.

the only good thing about this pick is that we may finally be able to dump Shaud Williams' worthless ass.

But damn, our D is still hurting. 1 defensive pick in the first 4, one pick that will not help at all this year (Edwards) and 2 picks at the same position. My draft grade is steadily dropping.

Does Marv NOT know that we have no depth at LB or CB? And why has the FO done nothing about the crap we have at WR behind Evans?

Op, the warrant of your post is that rookie LB's would immediately make better depth than the NFL vets we have right now. Can you explain why you believe that?

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Op, the warrant of your post is that rookie LB's would immediately make better depth than the NFL vets we have right now. Can you explain why you believe that?

Especially with the way he *****ed about not wanting another "Ellison type".

HHURRICANE
04-29-2007, 11:13 AM

Coy Wire.

SoCalBillsFan
04-29-2007, 11:13 AM
At this point in the draft, its so much more important to take players that you think have a chance at making it than reaching to try and fill "needs."

There aren't too many impact players left on D. This Wright kid has a good chance at contributing. We need two RBs anyway in today's NFL.

SABURZFAN
04-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Trust in Marv :up:

MarvLevy
04-29-2007, 11:15 AM
what we now have is Tiki and Jacobs.....

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2007, 11:15 AM
You're absolutely wrong.

Stupid pick.
You're right here, Op. I would have liked Bennett or Alexander.....but.....no dice.
I was shaking my head a little bit with this one, but if the scouting reports are correct, he could be a FB who can actually be a threat to run the ball.
If that's the case, then I like the pick.

bigbub2352
04-29-2007, 11:17 AM
We also needed a true H-back/FB and that is exactly what Wright will be, he is perfectly suited for that spot and can catch out of the backfeild as good Lynch very similiar stats last year, this is a good pick look we need Rb's on this roster who can produce, no WR's left, no Cb left, the way Lbs are goin there will be good ones still there in the 6th, look at what NOs just did, they got Duece and Bush and just drafted Pittman, they were in the playoffs last year we werent, i think this is our best draft in 10 years on paper

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Our defense was 10th in points allowed.

wow, way to nit-pick stats. They were terrible against the run and terrible in TOP.

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm quite sure the Bills FO knows quite a bit more about football than you do. We have our starting defense set. The sooner you accept it and quit crying, the happier everyone will be.

BUT WE HAVE NO DEPTH.

One injury and Wire or DiGiorgio will be a starting LB? Are you comfortable? I'm not.

madness
Our offense was worse and had trouble staying on the field.

mybills
what we now have is Tiki and Jacobs.....
Speaking of Tiki, I was wondering if they did this to trade with the Giants who seem to be going after a lot of LB positions. :idunno:

Dr. Lecter
wow, way to nit-pick stats. They were terrible against the run and terrible in TOP.

Points allowed is nit-picking???

If you had a choice would you rather allow 500 yards, 35 minutes TOP, with 4 TO's and 17 points allowed or

300 yards allowed, 27 TOP, 1 TO and 30 points allowed?

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2007, 11:20 AM
BUT WE HAVE NO DEPTH.

One injury and Wire or DiGiorgio will be a starting LB? Are you comfortable? I'm not.

Actually Haggan or Stamer will be.

In today's day, it is not always possible to have depth in every position.

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 11:21 AM

You know, everyone on here dogs Fletch and Spikes- "ooh they sucked, their stats will be easy to be replaced- they're part of the reason why we were so bad last year".

Well, those NFL vets you're referring to weren't good enough to break into the starting lineup despite the play of Fletch and Spikes, and in fact were displaced by a 2nd day rookie in Ellison.

So, the so-called "vets" you're referring to have already proven themselves to be less valuable than late round rookies.

Next.

OpIv37
04-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Actually Haggan or Stamer will be.

In today's day, it is not always possible to have depth in every position.

right, and we chose 3rd string Qb depth over LB depth? That's insane.

HAMMER
04-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Last time I checked, the team scoring the most points wins. Drafting offensive weapons is a good thing.

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2007, 11:24 AM
right, and we chose 3rd string Qb depth over LB depth? That's insane.

If there was no better LB's out there taking a guy that will be #2 makes lot's of sense.

SABURZFAN
BUT WE HAVE NO DEPTH.

i'm guessing that they'll address the LB in the 6th round or they'll address it when cuts are being made.

OpIv37
Last time I checked, the team scoring the most points wins. Drafting offensive weapons is a good thing.

but fruitless if your D gives up 30 points a game. Or if your D only gives up 17 points a game but is on the field for 42 minutes so the offense never has a chance to score more than 10.

kernowboy
04-29-2007, 11:25 AM
You know, everyone on here dogs Fletch and Spikes- "ooh they sucked, their stats will be easy to be replaced- they're part of the reason why we were so bad last year".

Well, those NFL vets you're referring to weren't good enough to break into the starting lineup despite the play of Fletch and Spikes, and in fact were displaced by a 2nd day rookie in Ellison.

So, the so-called "vets" you're referring to have already proven themselves to be less valuable than late round rookies.

Next.

But there are doubts about whether Siler can cover in the Tampa2, and Alexander is basically an Ellison clone.

I would not be surprised to see us trade into R5 with next years R4, but could easily see a LB still there in R6. I imagine the team not only have an idea of our strategy but other teams strategies as well

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2007, 11:26 AM
It didn't take many points to beat this team because the offense couldn't tie their shoes.
The defense may take a step back this year, but the offense will take two steps forward IMO.

Stewie
04-29-2007, 11:32 AM

Next.

The "vets" have more than 1 year of NFL experience than the hypothetical rookies you'd have us pick. That does in fact make them NFL veterans who have infinitely more experience than your imaginary player.

Why can't you just root for your team man? Our offense got a lot better. A big WR or TE will make it potentially loaded. I'm comfortable with whatever backup LB Dick, Perry Matt and DeMontie want out there. And if I'm at the game I'll make sure to cheer extra loud if Coy Wire is on the field. You know, to help him out.

madness
04-29-2007, 11:34 AM
You know, everyone on here dogs Fletch and Spikes

By everyone, you mean including you?

GarnOFreak
04-29-2007, 11:40 AM

Next.

So you're saying that the release of a Big Name veteran by a team replacing him with a 6th round choice is a stupid idea that you feel bad about.

Tell that to the Saints who released Joe Horn to have some schlub from the 6th round last year be their #1 WR. Yeah, you're right it'll be impossiboe to improve on their production.(i.e. the sclub is Marques Colston)

John Doe
04-29-2007, 01:00 PM
BUT WE HAVE NO DEPTH.

The coaches saw DiGiorgio every day in practice last year, and apparently they liked what they saw. He was active for every game last year except for a brief span when he was injured.

I don't see why any 4th round draft pick this year should be considered to be better depth than what he brings to the position.

Wire may have found his true niche as a "cover 2 linebacker." Again, I don't see why, automatically, a 4th rounder would come in and be better depth.

evol4276
04-29-2007, 01:07 PM
isnt he gunna be fb? i looked him up and it said rb/fb?? i know nothing about him though

HAMMER
04-29-2007, 01:34 PM
The coaches saw DiGiorgio every day in practice last year, and apparently they liked what they saw. He was active for every game last year except for a brief span when he was injured.

I don't see why any 4th round draft pick this year should be considered to be better depth than what he brings to the position.

Wire may have found his true niche as a "cover 2 linebacker." Again, I don't see why, automatically, a 4th rounder would come in and be better depth.

Oh stop, you are making too much sense.

Mr. Cynical
04-29-2007, 01:58 PM
You're absolutely wrong.

Stupid pick.

:bf1:

My grade went from a C+ to D with this pick.

The guy is slow, beat up and at best a "project". WTF. You can still get good players in the 4th and a clunky FB had to have been the worst choice especially with all the needs we still have.

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2007, 02:14 PM
:bf1:

My grade went from a C+ to D with this pick.

The guy is slow, beat up and at best a "project". WTF. You can still get good players in the 4th and a clunky FB had to have been the worst choice especially with all the needs we still have.

Getting the 2nd best RB in the draft and one of the top LB's and you still give the draft a D????

:rofl:

lordofgun
04-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Siler is still on the board after our 6th rd pick for those of you who thought we should take him in the third. :chuckle:

Saratoga Slim
04-29-2007, 02:25 PM
we've been bashing Kiper all offseason, but he LOVES the Dwayne Wright pick. As does Scott Wright of nfldraftcountdown.com.

Mr. Cynical
04-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Getting the 2nd best RB in the draft and one of the top LB's and you still give the draft a D????

Sorry, I don't grade on the Homer Curve (tm)..

A +++++, because hey, it's Marv.
A ++++, because hey, you never know.
A +++, because it's the Bills!
A ++, because we're talkin' proud!

G. Host
04-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Sorry, I don't grade on the Homer Curve (tm)..

A +++++, because hey, it's Marv.
A ++++, because hey, you never know.
A +++, because it's the Bills!
A ++, because we're talkin' proud!
No you grade on the doucher curve:
D -----, because hey, it's Marv.
D ----, because hey, you never know.
D ---, because it's the Bills!
D --, because I'm never too proud!

jmb1099
04-29-2007, 03:07 PM
You know what? A couple of you guys really do just wait for an opportunity to go ballistic. And when there isn't an opportunity to do that you create one.
The lb's left don't fit the system and wouldn't produce any better than Coy Wire. Yes our d was dismal last year, but so was our run game. Guess how you improve the defense? Give the ball to Lynch behind Wright and Dockery and run it down people's throats. The O time of possesion goes up and the D time on the field goes down.
We got a great rb, we got a great lb, we picked up a fb that can maybe even run the ball, we improved the oline and we still have a few holes. We will pick up a couple guys in the next few weeks and work with what we have. The mess TD and MM created will not be fixed overnight, but it is getting fixed.

Mr. Cynical
04-29-2007, 06:25 PM
No you grade on the doucher curve:
D -----, because hey, it's Marv.
D ----, because hey, you never know.
D ---, because it's the Bills!
D --, because I'm never too proud!

"doucher"? :idunno:

Tatonka
04-29-2007, 06:28 PM

dead on... as usual.

jpdex12
04-29-2007, 06:38 PM

Sad thing is that most of you that post like this with the critisisms may look like complete idiots when OBD and 31 other teams don't draft these guys for a reason until the 7th round or even UFA. There's something wrong with them that they don't stand out. We got lucky having so many lower draft classmen starting for us last year. Wright is a beast!

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2007, 08:25 PM
dead on... as usual.

Actually he was wrong. Siler lasted until the 7th.

The Spaz
04-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Siler and Rufus were so great that everyone passed on them until the end. I liked them bith but obviously didn't have the inside scoop on them.

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 08:12 AM
The "vets" have more than 1 year of NFL experience than the hypothetical rookies you'd have us pick. That does in fact make them NFL veterans who have infinitely more experience than your imaginary player.

Why can't you just root for your team man? Our offense got a lot better. A big WR or TE will make it potentially loaded. I'm comfortable with whatever backup LB Dick, Perry Matt and DeMontie want out there. And if I'm at the game I'll make sure to cheer extra loud if Coy Wire is on the field. You know, to help him out.

Rooting for our team does NOT mean blindly supporting every decision the FO makes simply because the FO made it. I want this team to win at least as much as anyone else here- that's why I get so pissed off over these stupid decisions.

If Coy Wire is ever on the field for anything other than ST, you better be praying instead of cheering because nothing short of a divine miracle will stop the offense froms scoring at that point.

We used our 3rd round pick on a luxury choice and our 4th round pick on the same position as our 1st round pick while we still have holes at other positions. Not ****ing smart.

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 08:14 AM
So you're saying that the release of a Big Name veteran by a team replacing him with a 6th round choice is a stupid idea that you feel bad about.

Tell that to the Saints who released Joe Horn to have some schlub from the 6th round last year be their #1 WR. Yeah, you're right it'll be impossiboe to improve on their production.(i.e. the sclub is Marques Colston)

Did you even READ my post or the post I was responding to? I said the guys on our roster have proven themselves to be LESS valuable than 6th round picks. Until we drafted Poz, we didn't even have enough starting LB's on our roster.

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2007, 08:18 AM
We used our 3rd round pick on a luxury choice and our 4th round pick on the same position as our 1st round pick while we still have holes at other positions. Not ****ing smart.

You don't fill immediate need holes with those picks.

For God's sake, can you ever do something besides dwelling and obsessing on the negative (or perceived negative) side?

What players should have they drafted? (Names!) And what would they do this year? Why is a 3rd round CB more ready to start than last year's 3rd round CB? To say this year's 3rd round CB would be more ready to start than Youboty is stupid. Teams need more than one RB. Teams also need back-up QB's.

Bill Polian himself is a proponent of BPA. This is especially true in later rounds. Those picks are usually depth players.

The Bills had two primary holes in the starting line-up: RB and LB. They filled those holes.

For somebody who did not want rookies filling in roles (i.e. Ellison types) you sure are changing your tune.

mysticsoto
04-30-2007, 08:25 AM
but fruitless if your D gives up 30 points a game. Or if your D only gives up 17 points a game but is on the field for 42 minutes so the offense never has a chance to score more than 10.

So we improve our Oline and offense with a well rounded RB and a power RB/FB, and you complain that our D will give up too many points. Lecter posts on the one stat that counters that showing that our D doesn't give out too many points and you chastize him for picking one stat that looks good out of all our stats???

Seems to me that that is the stat that counts and that you just complained about in this post...

By the way, having a good Oline and developing a good running game will mean that our offense will likely spend more time on the field...

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 08:29 AM
So we improve our Oline and offense with a well rounded RB and a power RB/FB, and you complain that our D will give up too many points. Lecter posts on the one stat that counters that showing that our D doesn't give out too many points and you chastize him for picking one stat that looks good out of all our stats???

Seems to me that that is the stat that counts and that you just complained about in this post...

By the way, having a good Oline and developing a good running game will mean that our offense will likely spend more time on the field...

Unbalanced teams usually don't win.

The stats don't show the FULL story. The defense's inability to get off the field contributed as much to the losses as the number of points they actually gave up. When Lecter uses that stats to say "it's all about points" he's oversimplifying the situation to make the D seem a hell of a lot better than it actually is (and that was before losing Spikes, Fletcher and Clements, which he also doesn't account for).

You're suggesting that two offensive lineman and a pair of rookie RB's can compensate for a flawed defense that lost 3 starters. That's insane.

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 08:32 AM
You don't fill immediate need holes with those picks.

For God's sake, can you ever do something besides dwelling and obsessing on the negative (or perceived negative) side?

What players should have they drafted? (Names!) And what would they do this year? Why is a 3rd round CB more ready to start than last year's 3rd round CB? To say this year's 3rd round CB would be more ready to start than Youboty is stupid. Teams need more than one RB. Teams also need back-up QB's.

Bill Polian himself is a proponent of BPA. This is especially true in later rounds. Those picks are usually depth players.

The Bills had two primary holes in the starting line-up: RB and LB. They filled those holes.

For somebody who did not want rookies filling in roles (i.e. Ellison types) you sure are changing your tune.

You forgot the primary hole at CB (although I'm glad we didn't go CB with the first two picks) and the primary hole at LB, and the significant hole at #2 WR and #2 TE.

You're saying that you're OK with doing NOTHING to fill those holes in either FA or the draft? Cuz I'm sure as hell not.

Bill Polian was never the GM of the 2007 Buffalo Bills.

mysticsoto
04-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Unbalanced teams usually don't win.

The stats don't show the FULL story. The defense's inability to get off the field contributed as much to the losses as the number of points they actually gave up. When Lecter uses that stats to say "it's all about points" he's oversimplifying the situation to make the D seem a hell of a lot better than it actually is (and that was before losing Spikes, Fletcher and Clements, which he also doesn't account for).

You're suggesting that two offensive lineman and a pair of rookie RB's can compensate for a flawed defense that lost 3 starters. That's insane.

I'm suggesting 2 Olineman and a pair of rookie RBs will improve the offense - which is why they have been brought in. You have been complaining constantly about a) the defense's ability to stop the run (a valid complaint) and b) our inability to put pts up. Well we took care of b) and although a) is still likely to be a problem, the fact that our defense is geared to create turnovers and minimize scoring will help. It does mean that teams will likely get to pad their stats with us, but in the end, it is the score that matters. I wouldn't give a damn if Maroney runs for 200 yards and Moss got 300 yards...if we won the game!!!

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm suggesting 2 Olineman and a pair of rookie RBs will improve the offense - which is why they have been brought in. You have been complaining constantly about a) the defense's ability to stop the run (a valid complaint) and b) our inability to put pts up. Well we took care of b) and although a) is still likely to be a problem, the fact that our defense is geared to create turnovers and minimize scoring will help. It does mean that teams will likely get to pad their stats with us, but in the end, it is the score that matters. I wouldn't give a damn if Maroney runs for 200 yards and Moss got 300 yards...if we won the game!!!

the thing you're forgetting is that if NE has the ball long enough for Maroney to get 200 yards and Moss to get 300 yards, our O isn't even going to have the OPPORTUNITY to score.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like red zone offense is going to be key this year. Our D isn't going to give our O too many chances, so every trip down the field is going to have to be a TD.

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2007, 08:50 AM
You forgot the primary hole at CB (although I'm glad we didn't go CB with the first two picks) and the primary hole at LB, and the significant hole at #2 WR and #2 TE.

You're saying that you're OK with doing NOTHING to fill those holes in either FA or the draft? Cuz I'm sure as hell not.

Bill Polian was never the GM of the 2007 Buffalo Bills.

You are contradicting yourself in your first point. How do the Bills address the primary hole at CB, but not take one in the first two rounds? A rookie 3rd round or later CB is no better than Youboty or Thomas. How does one help the team right now? Are you saying a 3rd, 4th or 5th round CB would start over Youboty or Thomas, becuase that seems to be the case and is completely illogical.

They filled the primary hole at LB with Poz. A secondary hole exists at depth. Not all positions have depth filled in this era. #2 TE is not a "significant" hole. It is a luxury in today's NFL. #2 WR would have been nice to upgrade, but Price was better inthe 2nd half of the season. It will likely be a weakness this season that we have to deal with.

Finally, I have maintained that it will take Marv and crew 3 years to completely clean the mess created by TD. We might not like it and might be impatient, but it is the way it is. This draft was a significant step. There are no major FA's after this season. Next offseason will be ciritical to fill the remaining holes and plug depth.

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2007, 08:53 AM
the thing you're forgetting is that if NE has the ball long enough for Maroney to get 200 yards and Moss to get 300 yards, our O isn't even going to have the OPPORTUNITY to score.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like red zone offense is going to be key this year. Our D isn't going to give our O too many chances, so every trip down the field is going to have to be a TD.

Our D also creates turnovers. And there are not many teams that will beat the Pats this year.

You also seem to forget (or not care) that much of the defense was young last year and should improve. McCargo, Williams, Whitner, Ellison and Simpson should be much better this year. Don't leave out that part of the equation.

mysticsoto
04-30-2007, 08:56 AM
You are contradicting yourself in your first point. How do the Bills address the primary hole at CB, but not take one in the first two rounds? A rookie 3rd round or later CB is no better than Youboty or Thomas. How does one help the team right now? Are you saying a 3rd, 4th or 5th round CB would start over Youboty or Thomas, becuase that seems to be the case and is completely illogical.

They filled the primary hole at LB with Poz. A secondary hole exists at depth. Not all positions have depth filled in this era. #2 TE is not a "significant" hole. It is a luxury in today's NFL. #2 WR would have been nice to upgrade, but Price was better inthe 2nd half of the season. It will likely be a weakness this season that we have to deal with.

Finally, I have maintained that it will take Marv and crew 3 years to completely clean the mess created by TD. We might not like it and might be impatient, but it is the way it is. This draft was a significant step. There are no major FA's after this season. Next offseason will be ciritical to fill the remaining holes and plug depth.

Truth of the matter is that Op has completely given up on Youboty, or even Bassey without them ever have stepped onto the field. So naturally, he thinks a completely low round, day 2 rookie would be better than them...

By the way, Jauron grabbed George Wilson at the end of the year last year from the PS. They probably feel he will contribute to the roster this year alongside the WRs that we sent to Europe - if I recall, one of them had really good speed (Chris Denney - 6'3", 219 lbs) and that is probably why they didn't focus on WR for depth...

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 09:01 AM

DEPTH at CB, and someone to compete in camp. Would a 3rd round CB start? Not likely, but it would be good for camp competition and a 3rd round CB is a HELL of a lot more likely to contribute than a 3rd round QB- as far as 2007 is concerned, we got NOTHING for our 3rd round pick.

We don't need a #2 TE- we need a #1 TE. Royal had that one great play where he stripped the ball on the INT- for some reason everyone forgets about the NUMEROUS drops (not just the big one for the TD- there were a LOT) and penalties. This is a position that we've been trying to fill with losers and scrubs for years now and it's about time to take it seriously. And you contradict yourself by defending a luxury pick in a back-up QB but saying we shouldn't have been looking for a #2 TE because it's a luxury pick. Make up your damn mine.

The first two picks were great, but after that I don't see anything that makes this team any better.

justasportsfan
04-30-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't have a problem with drafting Wright. The A-train signed a 2 yr. contract and could opt to leave after this year. He could very well be what Turner is to LT for us. Modrak himself said Lynch is a CANDIDATE for a 3 down back which means they're not sure he can be a workhorse in the NFL.. With teams going towards 2 rb rotation, it makes sense. This guy is a bull.

I think Op was hoping we'd find a diamond in the rough in the later rds. that could fill our holes but I doubt anyone of them will do anything for us IMMEDIATELY. If the top picks are crapshoots, all the more the later rds.

This is a weak draft. I doubt the players in the later rds. who play the positions of our holes were going to beat out the players already on our team. I can see why the FO went for value.

Nall has his eyes set on being a starter while Edwards is coming in knowing that if he ever beats Nall, he knows his roll as JP's back up. This pick still baffles me but maybe MArv does not think Nall is JP's Frank Reich.

If this draft is so weak then I would've traded some of our lower picks for a vet cb to at least compete with Youboty , Greer and McGee.

If NE can trade a 4th for Moss , we shouldn't have had a problem finding a vet cb t at least push the cb's we already have but I realize it takes time to find a trading partner and we did have that luxury. Nice to hear that Marv at least said they will still be looking for a cb. Most likely it'll be from the June 1 cuts.

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Our D also creates turnovers. And there are not many teams that will beat the Pats this year.

You also seem to forget (or not care) that much of the defense was young last year and should improve. McCargo, Williams, Whitner, Ellison and Simpson should be much better this year. Don't leave out that part of the equation.

well, they weren't good enough in the last game of 2006- how much better are they going to get by NOT playing in football games all off-season. You people are COMPLETELY exaggerating the effects of 1 year of improvement. These are guys who have been playing the game their ENTIRE lives and one year is supposed to make that much difference?

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Truth of the matter is that Op has completely given up on Youboty, or even Bassey without them ever have stepped onto the field. So naturally, he thinks a completely low round, day 2 rookie would be better than them...

By the way, Jauron grabbed George Wilson at the end of the year last year from the PS. They probably feel he will contribute to the roster this year alongside the WRs that we sent to Europe - if I recall, one of them had really good speed (Chris Denney - 6'3", 219 lbs) and that is probably why they didn't focus on WR for depth...

You're putting words in my mouth. Youboty couldn't get on the field last year and Thomas has 0 career interceptions- what's the problem with bringing in some camp competition or maybe a little depth? What happens if McGee gets injured? Suddenly we're starting Youboty and Thomas at corner.... ouch.

justasportsfan
04-30-2007, 09:10 AM
You're putting words in my mouth. Youboty couldn't get on the field last year and Thomas has 0 career interceptions- what's the problem with bringing in some camp competition or maybe a little depth? What happens if McGee gets injured? Suddenly we're starting Youboty and Thomas at corner.... ouch.

Like I siad OP, this draft is weak. Any cb we brought in could've been a waste of space and wouldn't beat out Youboty or McGee. Marv realizes that they didn't fill all the holes and I'm almost sure he meant the cb position when he addressed the media. Time was not on our hands to find a team to trade our lower picks for their vet cb.

Marv so far has addressed everything he said he would after last years season. I'm sure he's gonna be keeping an eye out for a cb between now and the start of the season.

madness
04-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Like I siad OP, this draft is weak. Any cb we brought in could've been a waste of space and wouldn't beat out Youboty or McGee. Marv realizes that they didn't fill all the holes and I'm almost sure he meant the cb position when he addressed the media. Time was not on our hands to find a team to trade our lower picks for their vet cb.

Marv so far has addressed everything he said he would after last years season. I'm sure he's gonna be keeping an eye out for a cb between now and the start of the season.

Marv did address that he would have liked to address CB and WR depth a little more but the options weren't there. That WR run in the third was rediculous.

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 09:23 AM

hopefully, although at this point it looks doubtful that we'll find anything that will be much of an improvement.

justasportsfan
04-30-2007, 09:28 AM
hopefully, although at this point it looks doubtful that we'll find anything that will be much of an improvement.

that's all we can do is hope. It's all gonna depend now on the front 7 to make the cb's look better than they are. If that doesn't happen, look for us to continue to be the Pat's B1tch.

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2007, 10:14 AM
well, they weren't good enough in the last game of 2006- how much better are they going to get by NOT playing in football games all off-season. You people are COMPLETELY exaggerating the effects of 1 year of improvement. These are guys who have been playing the game their ENTIRE lives and one year is supposed to make that much difference?

Levy always says the most improvement in a player is between years 1 and 2. This is due to being to spend the offseason actually learning schemes and techniques by being able to work with coaches the entire time. They also get a full offseason of NFL conditioning and nutrition.

The improvment is all about learning the pro game. The pro game is different from the college or high school game.

Don't discount it either and act is if their is no improvement. You will also have the youngs guys learning how to play with one another and the timing needed.

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Levy always says the most improvement in a player is between years 1 and 2. This is due to being to spend the offseason actually learning schemes and techniques by being able to work with coaches the entire time. They also get a full offseason of NFL conditioning and nutrition.

The improvment is all about learning the pro game. The pro game is different from the college or high school game.

Don't discount it either and act is if their is no improvement. You will also have the youngs guys learning how to play with one another and the timing needed.

they still lost 3 starters on D- you really think one year of improvement is enough to compensate for it?

I'll even give you that Poz replaced Fletch, so they lost two starters who weren't replaced. But when you combine that with the struggles the D had last year, it's a hell of a lot to ask.

Philagape
04-30-2007, 10:25 AM
As far as the TOP vs. points allowed debate, Op has a point. Here's a prime example: in the Titans game last year, on their final drive, they got the ball with 9:25 left and ran 7:15 off the clock with almost all rushing plays. But we held them to a field goal. Is that a success or failure of the defense?
When the other team has the ball so much, they don't need to score a lot of points.

mysticsoto
04-30-2007, 10:27 AM
they still lost 3 starters on D- you really think one year of improvement is enough to compensate for it?

I'll even give you that Poz replaced Fletch, so they lost two starters who weren't replaced. But when you combine that with the struggles the D had last year, it's a hell of a lot to ask.

Are you including Spikes in your list? Spikes didn't play much and when he did, he looked slow. I think our LB corps are decent. and if Pos regains his speed, they might be great! CB is a question mark in that we haven't seen what Youboty or Bassey have to offer. Nevertheless, that doesn't mean they are automatically bad - and now they've had a year learning the system.

DL is really my worry. Other than getting the guy from Philly, they are essentially the same - except for Anderson leaving which is a plus but they weren't overall really good last year. I sincerely hope they turn it up this year. In order to be effective, they have to stick to the system of what the cover 2 DTs (and DEs) are dictated to do and which gaps to cover. A mistake by anyone ends up opening a huge hole...

justasportsfan
04-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Could've been worse OP. Just think of the fins draft. I can only imagine that if you were a finfan, you'd commit suicide.

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Are you including Spikes in your list? Spikes didn't play much and when he did, he looked slow. I think our LB corps are decent. and if Pos regains his speed, they might be great! CB is a question mark in that we haven't seen what Youboty or Bassey have to offer. Nevertheless, that doesn't mean they are automatically bad - and now they've had a year learning the system.

DL is really my worry. Other than getting the guy from Philly, they are essentially the same - except for Anderson leaving which is a plus but they weren't overall really good last year. I sincerely hope they turn it up this year. In order to be effective, they have to stick to the system of what the cover 2 DTs (and DEs) are dictated to do and which gaps to cover. A mistake by anyone ends up opening a huge hole...

Yes, I'm including Spikes- as bad as he was, he was on the field last year so obviously the coaches didn't think much of the guys we have behind him on the roster. I think the starting LB's are decent now that we added Poz but the back-ups are still horrendous.

I don't know what will happen with Youboty down the road, but the fact remains that on opening day of 2007, we will be weaker at CB than we were in 2006. Maybe in a season or even half a season, that will change, but CB's take time to adjust. Youboty already being on the roster for a year doesn't make much difference- there is no simulation of a full-speed NFL game and Youboty only played in one, as a nickel.

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Could've been worse OP. Just think of the fins draft. I can only imagine that if you were a finfan, you'd commit suicide.

yeah they really made some questionable picks.

jmb1099
04-30-2007, 10:36 AM
By all indicators the Bills have set themselves up to help the defense by improving the offense.
1) Time of Possession: Run the ball
2) Points Production: Run the ball
3) Potential for increased quick strikes when needed: DB's cheat up to stop us from running the ball
I am in no way saying this means we don't have holes to fill, but our defense will automatically look better if we have a solid ground game. The key is time of possession.

justasportsfan
04-30-2007, 10:36 AM
yeah they really made some questionable picks.

Ginn pick was as arrogant as Shanahan drafting Clarrett.

patmoran2006
04-30-2007, 10:43 AM
OP..

As a fellow Bills "realist"....

Trust me you will be liking this pick by October.. Trust me on this.

jmb1099
04-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Oh God not the "realist" title again...lol

G. Host
04-30-2007, 08:13 PM
If Coy Wire is ever on the field for anything other than ST, you better be praying instead of cheering because nothing short of a divine miracle will stop the offense froms scoring at that point.

Funny we had lots of divine miracles last year for he was in as LB and graded well.
It must be one of those "always" and "absolute" problems you have. :D

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Funny we had lots of divine miracles last year for he was in as LB and graded well.
It must be one of those "always" and "absolute" problems you have. :D

even a blind fly lands on **** sometimes.

G. Host
04-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Other than getting the guy from Philly, they are essentially the same - except for Anderson leaving which is a plus but they weren't overall really good last year.

I have seen nothing to indicate he is being cut or even in trouble. You are assuming you know what the front office thinks when fans have been wrong numerious times and players they expect to be cut last year after year.

G. Host
04-30-2007, 09:35 PM
even a blind fly lands on **** sometimes.
Lots of accidents occurred meaning that your vision of reality is crappy.
I think you exagerate because you like to hear yourself complaining.

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Lots of accidents occurred meaning that your vision of reality is crappy.
I think you exagerate because you like to hear yourself complaining.

I think Coy Wire SUCKS on D and if you disagree it's because you either don't watch the games or don't understand what's going on.

If you honestly think this team is going anywhere with Coy Wire playing D, you're just convincing yourself of the reality you want instead of acknowledging the real world. I'm so sick of people defending mediocrity on this team under the guise of being "fans".

G. Host
04-30-2007, 10:16 PM
I think Coy Wire SUCKS on D and if you disagree it's because you either don't watch the games or don't understand what's going on.

If you honestly think this team is going anywhere with Coy Wire playing D, you're just convincing yourself of the reality you want instead of acknowledging the real world. I'm so sick of people defending mediocrity on this team under the guise of being "fans".

And I am sick of people who could not be mediocre talent scouts claiming to know more than Bills year after year through multiple GMs and HCs. Evidently your ability to determine talent SUCKS. I know mine does but I never claimed or acted otherwise nor claimed Wire was all world just good enoiugh that Bills defense coaches decided to place him on field.

Get your tar and pitchfork out for the mob that forms every year.

The Spaz
04-30-2007, 10:21 PM
And I am sick of people who could not be mediocre talent scouts claiming to know more than Bills year after year through multiple GMs and HCs. Evidently your ability to determine talent SUCKS. I know mine does but I never claimed or acted otherwise nor claimed Wire was all world just good enoiugh that Bills defense coaches decided to place him on field.

Nicely done!:clap:

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2007, 10:26 PM
I hated Wire at safety.

He is better at LB.

OpIv37
05-01-2007, 09:37 AM

we never win anything, yet people like you insist on defending every player on the team until they're finally cut or traded. Answer me this: if guys like Reed, Wire, Shaud Williams, Peerless, Tim Anderson, Willis McGahee (who was defended by a lot of people before the trade), etc are so great, why don't we ever WIN?

When the FO decided that Milloy and Vincent weren't good enough at S, they went with two rookies rather than Wire. When Wire moved to LB, it took two injuries for him to see the field, and even then it was situational and he was behind Ellison on the depth chart.

So, I ask again: Why would you feel comfortable with this guy getting playing time? He has NEVER in his career been able to surplant anyone at LB or S (despite our struggles at those two positions last year) and when he has seen the field, he has been at best mediocre and at worst a downright liability.

It doesn't take a talent scout to see this.

We need to stop making excuses for mediocrity and start finding guys that can play.

Bert102176
05-01-2007, 09:56 AM
so much for a winning season

HAMMER
05-01-2007, 12:41 PM
we never win anything, yet people like you insist on defending every player on the team until they're finally cut or traded. Answer me this: if guys like Reed, Wire, Shaud Williams, Peerless, Tim Anderson, Willis McGahee (who was defended by a lot of people before the trade), etc are so great, why don't we ever WIN?

When the FO decided that Milloy and Vincent weren't good enough at S, they went with two rookies rather than Wire. When Wire moved to LB, it took two injuries for him to see the field, and even then it was situational and he was behind Ellison on the depth chart.

So, I ask again: Why would you feel comfortable with this guy getting playing time? He has NEVER in his career been able to surplant anyone at LB or S (despite our struggles at those two positions last year) and when he has seen the field, he has been at best mediocre and at worst a downright liability.

It doesn't take a talent scout to see this.

We need to stop making excuses for mediocrity and start finding guys that can play.

Our inability to win over the last ten years boils down to two things;
-Poor line play
-Poor QB play
The line was severely neglected for far too long. The QB position suffered because of the line and poor personnel decisions.

Night Train
05-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey talent scout. Siler was selected in Round 7. #240 overall