PDA

View Full Version : When does anyone think that Edwards will ever see the field and why?

Statman
04-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Just posing the question.

It seems to me that it was only a great pick if he ever contributes and makes an impact.

Also, once, if ever, he does start with Losman as our starter, how many seasons does it take for him to get up to speed?

Great pick for where we are?

If we lose three or four players every year and backfill with fewer, then you can do the math.

justasportsfan
04-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Look at his injury report. This guy has been more injury prone than your boy Robosack. He'll never see the field .

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Teams still need a solid back-up. There are several possible outcomes:

1. He is a bust and never plays.
2. JP regresses and Edwards is a future starter.
3. Edwards loks good in pre-season and plays well in limited starts due to JP injury. The Bills trade Edwards ala Schaub.
4. JP gets hurt at some point and Edwards caretakes the team to enough victories to scure the playoffs ala Frank Reich.

Devin
04-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Solid backup, future trade potential.

Good pick.

justasportsfan
04-29-2007, 11:10 AM
here's the bright side to picking Wright , Edwards and Poz , should the NFl decide to have a spelling bee contest, no one's gonna touch the bills. They're all academically smart. We've become a breeding ground for future coaches.

YardRat
04-29-2007, 11:18 AM
If he takes the job away from Losman eventually...Good. That means we upgraded a starter.

If Losman continues to improve, and Edwards beats out Nall for #2...Good. That means we upgraded an important back-up.

If Losman remains the starter, but unfortunately suffers an injury and Edwards replaces him short term and helps the team win...Good. Every team needs a capable back-up that can play like a starter when needed.

If Edwards flat-out sucks, remains injury-prone, can't replace either QB, never sees the field for whatever reason...Bad. Wasted pick.

Devin
04-29-2007, 11:20 AM
If he shows potential but JP is better and we can pull of a Schaub like trade in the future......Good.

madness
04-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Look at his injury report. This guy has been more injury prone than your boy Robosack. He'll never see the field .

You'd be dead 5x over if you played behind that line and with that much lack of talent on offense. He was their whole damn team.

Marshawn Lynch
04-29-2007, 11:24 AM
We gave up a 3rd rounder for the 3rd best QB, i'm already over it!

HAMMER
04-29-2007, 11:26 AM
He provides competition, and insurance in the event of injury or Losman somehow getting away when his contract is up.

justasportsfan
04-29-2007, 11:32 AM
You'd be dead 5x over if you played behind that line and with that much lack of talent on offense. He was their whole damn team.
Some poster here was right. Some of you guys were gonna put a spin on Marv's picks and attempt make them look better than they really are. Marv dropped the ball on Nall. He's not gonna be here any longer.

madness
04-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Some poster here was right. Some of you guys were gonna put a spin on Marv's picks and attempt make them look better than they really are. Marv dropped the ball on Nall. He's not gonna be here any longer.

Excuse us for reading the scouting reports. Marv dropped the ball on Nall? When did we decide to only have two QB's on the roster?

SABURZFAN
04-29-2007, 11:39 AM
next year

JP will be gone.

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2007, 11:48 AM
I can't remember who raised the point in another thread, but it was this:

Frank Reich was drafted in the 3rd round 2 years after Jim Kelley was drafted.

How many times did he come to our rescue? Does Houston-38, Buffalo-41 ring a bell?

Mitchy moo
04-29-2007, 11:52 AM
I can't remember who raised the point in another thread, but it was this:

Frank Reich was drafted in the 3rd round 2 years after Jim Kelley was drafted.

How many times did he come to our rescue? Does Houston-38, Buffalo-41 ring a bell?

ding, ding.

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2007, 12:42 PM
next year

JP will be gone.

Unlikely. But continue to delude yourself.

SABURZFAN
04-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Unlikely. But continue to delude yourself.

it's your fault.you're drinking all of the kool-aid. :snicker:

BearsWiin
04-29-2007, 01:43 PM
(and now that Lynch is a Bill, I suppose I am) I'd be very concerned about Edwards being fragile. He never finished a season healthy at stanfurd:

2003: hospitalized with thigh bruise/blood clot due to hit in Big Game
2004: some injury (shoulder?) kept him from getting clobbered in Big Game; Cal planted Ostrander instead
2005: knocked out of Big Game late in first half
2006: broken foot midseason

Granted, Edwards never had a good line behind which to operate, but one has to figure that he'll get hit harder and more often by the big boys in the NFL than he was in college. He'll also be falling onto artifical turf, which is less forgiving than the natural grass in Palo Alto. When he was healthy he was a good, smart, accurate decisionmaker on a poor team, but he just couldn't stay healthy.

Interesting to see Losman starting. I remember when he transferred away from UCLA because he was stuck behind the likes of Corey Paus in the depth chart. Nice to see things work out for him.