• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

So Marv, Who's going to stop the run?

Potential answers:

1) improve from within, a favorite term Marv used since he's the GM. I bet this is what he sold to Ralph.

2) Jauron and Co. really believe Fletcher-Baker is the problem because he can't fight through traffic.

3) Fairchild convinced them to load on offense so that Bills opponents "will have to pass early and often because they will down by a lot quickly"
  • SoCalBillsFan
    Expert on Experts
    • Jul 2002

Re: So Marv, Who's going to stop the run?

Yes, it's a problem. But it was going to be a problem no matter who we drafted in rds 3-7. There weren't very many quality LBs or DL in this draft at that point.

Fact is, we couldn't have fixed the whole problem in this draft no matter how hard we tried IMO.

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
      Potential answers:

1) improve from within, a favorite term Marv used since he's the GM. I bet this is what he sold to Ralph.

2) Jauron and Co. really believe Fletcher-Baker is the problem because he can't fight through traffic.

3) Fairchild convinced them to load on offense so that Bills opponents "will have to pass early and often because they will down by a lot quickly"
      So, we have the following:

Darwin Walker
      Larry Tripplett
      John McCargo
      Kyle Williams
      Anthony Hargrove
      Aaron Schobel
      Denney
      Kelsay
      Ah You
      Puz
      Crowell
      Ellison
      DiGiorgio
      Leonhard
      Wendling
      Whitner
      Simpson
      McGee
      K Thomas
      Greer
      McGee
      Youboty

Im sorry but I see lots of depth and quality starters at every spot except CB and that could become solid too if Youboty steps us.

I cant see an arguement that we havent worked to stop the run.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
        • Feb 2005

CB is a big problem because we have McGee and Youboty starting right now.
        Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
          • Apr 2004

Wow....that is an incredibly young defense! Friggin fast, too!

We have to look for McCargo and Williams to be more effective with their added bulk and a year under their belt.

We need a CB and probably a LB from spring cut-downs.

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

Poz will help, and I think the idea is the improve the offense, forcing teams to pass more and turning the TOP in our favor.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

IM thrilled with the RB's but disapointed Peerless Price is still the #2

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                IM thrilled with the RB's but disapointed Peerless Price is still the #2
                If Lynch is as good a receiver as advertised, I think he'll be No. 2 in catches.
                "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
                  It would seem to be a weakness. But Youboty was a 3rd rounder who some had as a 1st round talent. Its not like hes chop liver or we are trying to start a UFA.

I can see the writing on the wall in hindsight. We wondered why they were resigning Thomas and Greer. Maybe we now know. Call it Youboty insurance.

But the S's cover more ground in the secondary in cover 2 and Whitner and Simpson are very good IMO.

I think Ashton will have an easier transition than the typical "leave him on an island" CB awakening that sometimes happens.

Nice part is he knows our schemes, a rookie would have to learn them.

Comment

• Statman
                    • Oct 2003

Plenty of naivete to go around I see.
                    Facts speak louder than opinions

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I think the fans in Indy were asking this same question last year about this time. After the regular season ended, also, as a matter of fact.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
                        It's a non-issue. Cover 2 Zone can make even the most average CB's look like Pro-Bowlers. Bend but don't break.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
                          If Lynch is as good a receiver as advertised, I think he'll be No. 2 in catches.
                          And that would be a very, very good thing. Nothing wrong with making your RB a big passing threat.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                            • Feb 2006

I don't think we needed another cb. We already spent a draft pick last year on one. I just don't understand, would people feel better about the cb situation if we selected one in the top 3 rounds this year?

Personally, I'll take my chances with a third round player from last years draft whose already got a year of nfl experience under his belt regardless of playing time. Instant gratification is nice, but not always the best way to go and I think this situation is an example of that.

On the other hand I would have liked to grab a receiver but if you look at the second round I believe there was a stretch where 7 out of 8 players selected were wide receivers so I guess it was kind of slim pickings. I also was intrigued with Ben Patrick and would have been pleased if we could have gotten him in the sixth but eh, whatever. I'm not really feeling the DE pick up either, but time will tell.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Wagon Circler 22
                              I don't think we needed another cb. We already spent a draft pick last year on one. I just don't understand, would people feel better about the cb situation if we selected one in the top 3 rounds this year?

Personally, I'll take my chances with a third round player from last years draft whose already got a year of nfl experience under his belt regardless of playing time. Instant gratification is nice, but not always the best way to go and I think this situation is an example of that.
                              Don't forget that at one time he was considered a first round talent by Mel (had him going to the Cowboys in the first last year during one of his many mock drafts.)

I feel much better about the fact that we addressed the RB situation very well and we got a starting LB. Those IMO were by far our two biggest needs next to OL (which has been taken care of)once the season was over.

Comment

Working...
                              X