• Show
Clear All
  • BILLSROCK1212
    !?!?!?!?!?
    • Mar 2006

Draft Recap by Chris Brown

Draft Wrapup: Bills Address Most Pressing Needs
    by Chris Brown, Lead Journalist Last Updated: 4/29/2007 9:02 PM ET

When draft weekend concluded Buffalo effectively satisfied their two most pressing needs with their top two selections of running back Marshawn Lynch and linebacker Paul Posluszny. The rest of the draft was comprised mostly of value choices with quarterback Trent Edwards and running back Dwayne Wright proving to be two of the more notable bargains.

But GM Marv Levy admitted there were a couple of positions they hoped to fill before the end of the draft.

"We would love to have been able to be in the position to draft a cornerback," Levy said. "At the time we picked it just didn't fit, given who was there and given the many things we discussed. Yes this is an opportunity now for Ashton Youboty and Jabari Greer and the others on our team to step up. We won't stop looking, but I don't know how much there is in free agency. It's unlikely that we'll make a trade. There were needs we had to fill. Have we fully filled that one? No."

Head coach Dick Jauron didn't deny that there are a couple of positions where they still need to make some additions.

"We have numbers that we look at because we know what it takes to go to camp and compete in camp and we'll try to reach those numbers," Jauron said. "We're a little bit light in the secondary right now and little light at receiver."

With respect to the current crop that exists at cornerback Jauron feels opposite incumbent starter Terrence McGee there's a job to be had.

"It's open," said Jauron. "Clearly we drafted Ashton a year ago in the third round and we're hoping that he comes on and performs well, but we're not going to give the job to anybody. We're going to let them compete for it. As I pointed out earlier we'll look everywhere as we go through the spring and into the summer. Any way we feel we can strengthen our team and increase the competition we'll continue to do it."

Jauron also mentioned Jabari Greer and Kiwaukee Thomas as candidates for the right cornerback position.

Edited: Please don't post articles in their entirety. Thanks.
    Last edited by shelby; 04-30-2007, 06:07 AM.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Draft Recap by Chris Brown

Oklahoma defensive end C.J. Ah You was taken with Buffalo's final pick. Levy actually coached Ah You's uncle Junior Ah You who was an accomplished defensive end in the CFL in the mid-1970's.
    At least now I understand that pick. Don't necessarily agree with it, but understand it.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
      At least now I understand that pick. Don't necessarily agree with it, but understand it.
      Those late 7th round picks are usually uber critical to our long term success.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I loved our draft, but I think we still need depth at CB and LB - or to challenge Youboty and Ellison, respectively - and a WR to compete for the number 2 spot.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
        X