PDA

View Full Version : Biggest reach of the first round according to the fans of Espn that voted?

Mitchy moo
04-29-2007, 11:29 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>7) Which was the biggest reach of the first round?

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="10%">66.4%</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>No. 9 - WR Ted Ginn, Dolphins

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="10%">11.0%</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>No. 16 - DT Justin Herrell, Packers

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="10%">10.7%</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>No. 30 - WR Craig Davis, Chargers

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="10%">8.0%</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>No. 5 - OT Levin Brown, Cardinals

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="10%">3.9%</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>No. 28 - OT Joe Staley, 49ers

:oops:
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=2911&action=1&question21750=87776&question21751=87778&question21753=87780&question21754=87782&question21755=87784&question21757=87786&question21758=87788&question21759=87794&question21760=87800&question21761=87804

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

LtFinFan66
04-29-2007, 11:31 PM
Not according to ESPN. According to people who went to ESPN.com and voted

Mitchy moo
04-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Not only was he the biggest reach according to all the fans that voted, he was 2/3 of all the votes of that question. The world is telling Miami they royally F-up but the fans are just as lost as the management. Keep telling yourself that everything is Ok, please.

Mitchy moo
04-29-2007, 11:37 PM

My bad, the fans voted but who would you have liked to be drafted, Quinn or Ginn as your first choice LTff?

feldspar
04-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Couldn't believe they didn't draft Brady Quinn.

Does this mean they are going with Culpepper? Trent Green?

LtFinFan66
04-29-2007, 11:38 PM
It's funny because I never even heard of that guy the Packers drafted. The only reason everyone voted that way is because it was such a shock to everyone but Dolphin management.

BILLSROCK1212
04-29-2007, 11:39 PM
It's funny because I never even heard of that guy the Packers drafted. The only reason everyone voted that way is because it was such a shock to everyone but Dolphin management.Justin Harrell is easily a top 10 pick this year without his injury

LtFinFan66
04-29-2007, 11:39 PM
My bad, the fans voted but who would you have liked to be drafted, Quinn or Ginn as your first choice LTff?Wasn't sold on Quinn. Am I surprised we didn't take him? Yes. Am I upset we took Ginn instead? No. Clearly I love the pick being a Buckeye fan and knowing what he brings to the table

LtFinFan66
04-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Justin Harrell is easily a top 10 pick this year without his injurygood for him. Still haven't heard of him though:idunno:

Carlton Bailey
04-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Craig Davis gets my vote. The Chargers are sliding downward. We're talking about an organization that just gave up four picks for Eric Weddle.

Mitchy moo
04-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Wasn't sold on Quinn. Am I surprised we didn't take him? Yes. Am I upset we took Ginn instead? No. Clearly I love the pick being a Buckeye fan and knowing what he brings to the table

He is bringing a nagging injury to the table, Quinn might have brought some stability to a position you have had as hard a time filling just like the Bills had until JP stepped up.

LtFinFan66
04-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Whatever Skooby. I laugh at everything you ever say and this will be no different. A nagging injury is something that keeps coming back and coming back :rofl:

He simply hasn't recoved yet

Mitchy moo
04-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Whatever Skooby. I laugh at everything you ever say and this will be no different. A nagging injury is something that keeps coming back and coming back :rofl:

He simply hasn't recoved yet

You'll be laughing until lemon is trying to toss the rock instead of Quinn, then those tears take on a real meaning.

Foot injuries have a tendency to stay w/ you, it will be nagging.

LtFinFan66
04-29-2007, 11:50 PM
it's a freakin' sprain Skooby

How about we see what Ginn and Quinn and even Lynch do on the field before we talk smack. Time will tell as with any draft.

Mitchy moo
04-29-2007, 11:52 PM
. Time will tell as with any draft.

true.

Ron Burgundy
04-30-2007, 01:52 AM
I'm not a fan of Ted Ginn, but at the same time, if you checked last year's votes... Biggest reach in the first round of 2006 draft? No. 8, S Donte Whitner, Buffalo

Don't Panic
04-30-2007, 04:30 AM
What about Michael Griffin? After Pacman, they needed a DB from Texas, but his name was Aaron Ross. D'oh!

BADTHINGSMAN
04-30-2007, 04:45 AM
Ginn is one scarey dude on kick/punt returns.. Has the speed to outrun anyone.. With Chambers on the otherside thats a good WR tandem..

Mitchy moo
04-30-2007, 04:59 AM
I'm not a fan of Ted Ginn, but at the same time, if you checked last year's votes... Biggest reach in the first round of 2006 draft? No. 8, S Donte Whitner, Buffalo

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- Miami Dolphins coach Cam Cameron might want to brace for another round of boos: Top draft pick Ted Ginn Jr. says he's unsure whether he'll be healthy for the start of training camp.
Ginn paid a visit to the Dolphins' complex Sunday and said his sprained left foot will be in a boot for about a month. Rehabilitation will follow, and Ginn said there's no guarantee he'll be ready to practice when camp begins in three months.

cutter10x
04-30-2007, 05:36 AM
100% that the fins really stretched with the ginn pick.........but hey....if anybody needs to flop...nobody better.....

Mitchy moo
04-30-2007, 05:43 AM
100% that the fins really stretched with the ginn pick.........but hey....if anybody needs to flop...nobody better.....

lol, is going to flop might be more accurate.

Jan Reimers
04-30-2007, 06:51 AM
Ginn was rated by most draft services as a high to mid first round pick. If people voted him a reach, it's because Miami took him when Quinn was available.

If Ginn had gone at 8 or 10 or 15, no one would have been real surprised.

Ron Burgundy
04-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Ginn was rated by most draft services as a high to mid first round pick. If people voted him a reach, it's because Miami took him when Quinn was available.

If Ginn had gone at 8 or 10 or 15, no one would have been real surprised. It's not a good pick anywhere in the first round, IMO. Why would you want a fragile wideout with so-so hands who can't run anything but fly patterns? I mean, the return ability is awesome, but still...

Mad Bomber
04-30-2007, 12:20 PM

You beat me to it, Ron.

LtFinFan66
04-30-2007, 12:25 PM
It's not a good pick anywhere in the first round, IMO. Why would you want a fragile wideout with so-so hands who can't run anything but fly patterns? I mean, the return ability is awesome, but still...Yet another person who hasn't watched him play yet yaps on and on. Fragile?? What makes him fragile?? Just curious

HAMMER
04-30-2007, 12:36 PM
I am very impressed with his speed but have heard he has A LOT of work to do to be a good NFL receiver. With this in mind I just can't agree with taking him at 9 to return kicks. Time will tell, personally I hope he sucks because he is a Dolphag.

TigerJ
04-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Ted Ginn has a great deal of upside since he has such great speed and pretty good hands. He is said not to be very disciplined in route running and won't go over the middle. He can learn to run routes better, but it is a definite liability if a DB knows categorically he's afraid to catch the ball in trafic over the middle.

justasportsfan
04-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Wasn't sold on Quinn. Am I surprised we didn't take him? Yes. Am I upset we took Ginn instead? No. Clearly I love the pick being a Buckeye fan and knowing what he brings to the table

Anyone who loves Ginn at 9 has to be either a bills ,jets ,Pats or a homer fin fan. Which one are you? My guess is the first.

finfan34
04-30-2007, 01:14 PM
i believe tedd ginn was a reach for the number 9 spot, BUT....brady quinn was all hype, most nfl teams had quinn closer to the john beck, trent edwards end on the depth chart. we got much better value with beck, you have to look at the overall, our management had a plan, donte witner anyone? pot heres kettle

feelthepain
04-30-2007, 01:33 PM
If I'm not mistake the injury Ginn suffered in the National Championship game was his first serious injury. Most of the reports coming out about Ginn pre-injury had him top 5 and you can bet if he didn't hurt hi foot in that game he never would have made it to 9. Brady Quinn has a ton of Skill and heart, but there has been more then one report about his accuracy his and throwing to his left. If you're going to draft a QB that high (especially a QB) and pay him the kinda money he will get at 9, he better not have an accuracy problemS or throwing the ball anywhere.

Bill fans are just looking for an excuse to trash a division rivals draft. Like drafting Brady Quinn is a guarantee for success, I'll guarantee if you ask those Bill fans double a $1000.00 bet on Brady Quin's guarantteed success in the league they runs like their @$$ was on fire. Have Bill fans learned nothing about high draft QB's and hype?? Odds are they don't pan out. At least we don't have to sit here for the next 4 or 5 years hoping and praying Quinn lives up to the hype. If Ginn fails, that's gonna get a whole lot less abuse then if we drafted Quinn and he failed. On the other hand we can't go wrong either way if they both live up to the hype, after all everyone thinks CJ was worthy of the number one overall selection, so to think Ginn isn't worthy of the 9 spot is foolish.

mysticsoto
04-30-2007, 02:03 PM
FTP, we don't need to look for an excuse to trash the fins...there's already plenty of material. From the Miami Herald - if you have to rely on Shelton to be your new Right Tackle, then I feel sorry for your team (actually, I feel...amusement):

The ever-changing offensive line is getting more change as L.J. Shelton will be moved from right guard to right tackle for the minicamp, while Vernon Carey moves to left tackle.

http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/91194.html

Marshawn Lynch
04-30-2007, 03:43 PM
when u have a chance to get someone that is gonna be a top 5 qb in this league you don't pass on him!

NJFINSFAN1
04-30-2007, 03:51 PM

I was a bit shocked, but the more I read, we may have gotten the right QB

From Charley Casserly And Dr Z.

Miami Dolphins

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=220 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD width=220>http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img10159404.jpg </TD><TD width=15></TD></TR><TR><TD width=220>Ted Ginn Jr. starred against top competition like fellow first-rounder Leon Hall. (AP) </TD><TD width=15></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>We all had it wrong here. Just when I got through writing Brady Quinn's name next to Miami, they took Ted Ginn Jr.! They kept this one quiet, maybe too quiet. Sometimes it is a good idea to let the fans know there are some other options when you pick, but the danger in doing that at the ninth pick, is you might tip other teams on who you are interested in. Now to Ginn. He's the second-fastest player I have ever scouted -- the fastest being Darrell Green, who was the fastest player in my 30 years in the NFL.
I remember going to Ohio State to scout Santonio Holmes -- who can run pretty fast -- and just watch Ginn run right by him. Some people feel Ginn will have trouble getting off the press and running routes. I don't believe that. He has foot quickness and the change-of-direction ability to do that. In fact, if you want to press him, good luck -- because if you miss him at the line of scrimmage, you might as well send the PAT defense on because you will not catch him. There are a couple of things that bother me about him -- his pure hands and size. As for size, there are guys like Ginn who have been great pros: Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith. Neither of these guys made a living in college going over the middle. This is a pick that is getting criticized by many, but you won't hear defensive coordinators who have to defense Ginn criticize him. He is also can impact the game as a return man.
John Beck is an accurate QB who is smart and has great intangibles. Who does that sound like? Drew Brees, except Beck has better work habits coming out of college. This is a guy a lot of teams liked and wanted. The next couple of picks should add some much-needed characteristics to the team: RB Lorenzo Booker for his speed; G Samson Stele for toughness and Paul Solicit for size at the NT position. This team needed to add speed to their offense and they did with Ginn and Booker. They also needed a QB to develop and they got him in John Beck. I will bet Randy Mueller is a lot smarter at this football thing than the people booing him.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10159081

But if what I think could happen actually happens, then this will be a terrific draft, much more serious than its listed grade. I'm looking at a two-word possibility. John Beck. Quarterback. Gym rat, competitor, Jeff Garcia type with a better arm. So if he's so great, why'd he last until a quarter of the way down the second round? Beats me. I predict nothing. I'm just mentioning that you never know, as they say on blind dates.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/04/29/draft.report.card/3.html

!Papacrunk!
04-30-2007, 07:22 PM
I was a bit shocked, but the more I read, we may have gotten the right QB

From Charley Casserly And Dr Z.

Miami Dolphins

<table align="left" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="220"><tbody><tr><td width="220">http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img10159404.jpg </td><td width="15"></td></tr><tr><td width="220">Ted Ginn Jr. starred against top competition like fellow first-rounder Leon Hall. (AP) </td><td width="15"></td></tr></tbody></table>We all had it wrong here. Just when I got through writing Brady Quinn's name next to Miami, they took Ted Ginn Jr.! They kept this one quiet, maybe too quiet. Sometimes it is a good idea to let the fans know there are some other options when you pick, but the danger in doing that at the ninth pick, is you might tip other teams on who you are interested in. Now to Ginn. He's the second-fastest player I have ever scouted -- the fastest being Darrell Green, who was the fastest player in my 30 years in the NFL.
I remember going to Ohio State to scout Santonio Holmes -- who can run pretty fast -- and just watch Ginn run right by him. Some people feel Ginn will have trouble getting off the press and running routes. I don't believe that. He has foot quickness and the change-of-direction ability to do that. In fact, if you want to press him, good luck -- because if you miss him at the line of scrimmage, you might as well send the PAT defense on because you will not catch him. There are a couple of things that bother me about him -- his pure hands and size. As for size, there are guys like Ginn who have been great pros: Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith. Neither of these guys made a living in college going over the middle. This is a pick that is getting criticized by many, but you won't hear defensive coordinators who have to defense Ginn criticize him. He is also can impact the game as a return man.
John Beck is an accurate QB who is smart and has great intangibles. Who does that sound like? Drew Brees, except Beck has better work habits coming out of college. This is a guy a lot of teams liked and wanted. The next couple of picks should add some much-needed characteristics to the team: RB Lorenzo Booker for his speed; G Samson Stele for toughness and Paul Solicit for size at the NT position. This team needed to add speed to their offense and they did with Ginn and Booker. They also needed a QB to develop and they got him in John Beck. I will bet Randy Mueller is a lot smarter at this football thing than the people booing him.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10159081

But if what I think could happen actually happens, then this will be a terrific draft, much more serious than its listed grade. I'm looking at a two-word possibility. John Beck. Quarterback. Gym rat, competitor, Jeff Garcia type with a better arm. So if he's so great, why'd he last until a quarter of the way down the second round? Beats me. I predict nothing. I'm just mentioning that you never know, as they say on blind dates.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/04/29/draft.report.card/3.html
Sounds good to me! *COUGH*

HHURRICANE
04-30-2007, 07:24 PM
I think the Ginn pick looks bad because the don't have a QB. Why didn't you just keep Welker?!!

!Papacrunk!
04-30-2007, 07:28 PM
I think the Ginn pick looks bad because the don't have a QB. Why didn't you just keep Welker?!!

I was a big fan of Welker, but there really wasn't anything we could've done with it, especially since the Patriots were initially going to do the whole poison pill contract thing.

Ron Burgundy
04-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Yet another person who hasn't watched him play yet yaps on and on. Fragile?? What makes him fragile?? Just curious
ROFL

My best friend in the world is an Ohio State alum and I've personally watched Teddy play against Minnesota last year. Out of curiousity, how often did you make it up to Columbus from Florida?

He's fragile because he weighs a buck eighty soaking wet and he's only slightly stronger than my sister.

He's also one-dimensional, but that dimension happens to be speed and he's got tons to burn. He reminds me of Ashlie Lelie, but he should have a better career, especially when you consider his return ability. I totally would have drafted him with our second rounder.

feelthepain
04-30-2007, 07:58 PM
I think the Ginn pick looks bad
because they don't have a QB. Why didn't you just keep Welker?!!

Really?? Since when??

HHURRICANE
04-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Really?? Since when??

I was serious. Who is it?

feelthepain
04-30-2007, 08:08 PM
ROFL

My best friend in the world is an Ohio State alum and I've personally watched Teddy play against Minnesota last year. Out of curiousity, how often did you make it up to Columbus from Florida?

He's fragile because he weighs a buck eighty soaking wet and he's only slightly stronger than my sister.

He's also one-dimensional, but that dimension happens to be speed and he's got tons to burn. He reminds me of Ashlie Lelie, but he should have a better career, especially when you consider his return ability. I totally would have drafted him with our second rounder.

You mean like:

Marvin Harrison:
Position: WR
Height: 6-0
Weight: 185
Born: 08/25/1972
College: Syracuse
NFL Experience: 12

OR

Torry Holt:
Weight: 190
Born: 06/05/1976
College: North Carolina State
NFL Experience: 9

OR

Dante Hall:
Height: 5-8
Weight: 187
Born: 09/20/1978
College: Texas A&M
NFL Experience: 8

OR

Steve Smith:
Height: 5-9
Born: 05/12/1979
College: Utah
NFL Experience: 7

Just to name a few?? You just keep displaying your bias, it's not very obvious....really!

feelthepain
04-30-2007, 08:10 PM
I was serious. Who is it?

Daunte!

Mitchy moo
04-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Daunte!

Daunte needs to practice throwing on his way down.

!Papacrunk!
04-30-2007, 08:25 PM

out of all of your posts that I've happen to read, Skooby that was actually mildly clever. I seriously had a good chuckle from that, not being sarcastic

feelthepain
04-30-2007, 08:40 PM

I said Daunte....not JP!!

Ron Burgundy
04-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Ted's not like Marvin, Torry, or Steve, 'cause they all are great route-runners and all are willing to go over the middle to make a catch, and he is not.

Dante Hall is a valid comparison, I think. Lelie is taller but they have similar frames and is a very good comparison. Other guys in the same range include Troy Edwards, Desmond Howard, Peerless Price, etc., just to name a few.

No bias here. I'm actually a bit of a closet Buckeyes fan. But I'm not sold on Ted Ginn. If we would have drafted him at #12, I'd have been furious.

You mean like:

Marvin Harrison:
Born: 08/25/1972
College: Syracuse
NFL Experience: 12

OR

Torry Holt:
Weight: 190
Born: 06/05/1976
College: North Carolina State
NFL Experience: 9

OR

Dante Hall:
Height: 5-8
Weight: 187
Born: 09/20/1978
College: Texas A&M
NFL Experience: 8

OR

Steve Smith:
Height: 5-9
Born: 05/12/1979
College: Utah
NFL Experience: 7

Just to name a few?? You just keep displaying your bias, it's not very obvious....really!

Mitchy moo
04-30-2007, 09:08 PM
out of all of your posts that I've happen to read, Skooby that was actually mildly clever. I seriously had a good chuckle from that, not being sarcastic

Hey thanks. :candle:

feelthepain
04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Ted's not like Marvin, Torry, or Steve, 'cause they all are great route-runners and he is not.

Dante Hall is a valid comparison, I think. Lelie is taller but they have similar frames and is a very good comparison. Other guys in the same range include Troy Edwards, Desmond Howard, Peerless Price, etc., just to name a few.

No bias here. I'm actually a bit of a closet Buckeyes fan. But I'm not sold on Ted Ginn. If we would have drafted him at #12, I'd have been furious.

Honestly where are you coming up with this stuff hmm?? He sure did put up a lot of yards and score a lot TD's for a guy who can't run routes. Is there any doubt a Bill fan finds issues with someone the Dolphins draft? Nope, it's pretty much par for the course.

Ron Burgundy
04-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Honestly where are you coming up with this stuff hmm??

I don't know, reality?

He sure did put up a lot of yards and score a lot TD's for a guy who can't run routes.

No, actually, he didn't put up a lot of yards or score a lot of TDs. He averaged about 45 catches, 600-700 yards and 6 touchdowns per year. Seriously, did you actually know who this guy was before you drafted him?

When you run a sub 4.3 and you have a QB like Troy Smith, along with two good running backs and three other talented wideouts, you run fly and slants all day and you'll put up exactly those numbers. You straight up don't see Ted making that clutch first down catch over the middle, or any catch where he might get popped, very often at all. If you watched the Buckeyes last year, you'd know this.

I think he'll be nasty on special teams, but I'm not the type to pick return specialists...even scary-good return specialists...in the top 10. Sorry.

Is there any doubt a Bill fan finds issues with someone the Dolphins draft? Nope, it's pretty much par for the course.

And I haven't once mentioned the fact that he's a Dolphin, I could care less. You're the one that keeps bringing up the Fins/Bills thing. The Patsies are the enemy...y'all are an afterthought.

feelthepain
05-01-2007, 12:30 AM
I don't know, reality?

No, actually, he didn't put up a lot of yards or score a lot of TDs. He averaged about 45 catches, 600-700 yards and 6 touchdowns per year. Seriously, did you actually know who this guy was before you drafted him?

When you run a sub 4.3 and you have a QB like Troy Smith, along with two good running backs and three other talented wideouts, you run fly and slants all day and you'll put up exactly those numbers. You straight up don't see Ted making that clutch first down catch over the middle, or any catch where he might get popped, very often at all. If you watched the Buckeyes last year, you'd know this.

I think he'll be nasty on special teams, but I'm not the type to pick return specialists...even scary-good return specialists...in the top 10. Sorry.

And I haven't once mentioned the fact that he's a Dolphin, I could care less. You're the one that keeps bringing up the Fins/Bills thing. The Patsies are the enemy...y'all are an afterthought.

He was a Heisman candidate and before his injury was a projected top 5 DP, please stop trying to knock the guy to ease your mind.

Ron Burgundy
05-01-2007, 05:39 PM
He was a Heisman candidate and before his injury was a projected top 5 DP, please stop trying to knock the guy to ease your mind.

Yeah, that's what I figured. "Before his injury he was supposed to..."

Sorry if I slapped ya kinda hard. Maybe next time you'll do your homework.

But hey, I hope he does well. I kinda like the Buckeyes.

feelthepain
05-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured. "Before his injury he was supposed to..."

Sorry if I slapped ya kinda hard. Maybe next time you'll do your homework.

But hey, I hope he does well. I kinda like the Buckeyes.

Oh right, players never rise and fall on draft boards do to a bad Senior Bowl practice or combine or injury, even though everything before the bad performance or injury had them a top prospect even though the injury has nothing to do with their talent and what they bring to the team.

Two examples:

Tim Couch: According to most draft boards the consensus #1 overall and where he was eventually drafted into the NFL. Howd that superb predicition work out? Hmmm?

Tom Brady: Had quite a few issues including size and arm strength, according to most prognosticators, Brady was no more then a late day 2 pick, howd that predicition pan out? Alot of geniuses dropped the ball on that too hugh??

Bottom line? You just keep living of all the pre draft predicitions from the "so called experts" and I'll live off what they actually do in the NFL.

Also, I love how dreamers such as yourself cling to only the negative aspect of a situation, then pin everything you know on just that angle, that way you won't have to think about the upside of said player giving a more realistic and un-bias opinion.

I'm sure you don't have the same opinion of P.Posluszny and his bad knees right?? No ofcourse not, cause the Bills are awsome and everyone else sucks! Way to post like an adult! Your opinion is worthless to everyone but bias Bill fans, you must be proud.