PDA

View Full Version : The offense is no mystery

ghz in pittsburgh
04-30-2007, 05:45 AM
It becomes clear now after the draft what they planned on offense. They addressed the offensive line in the FA (last and this year). They drafted a couple of guys last year, too. So in two years, they re-made the entire line. Now they get their perceived multi-threat running backs in place, and thus complete the base offense Marv and Dick wanted in the first place.

They got some badly needed improvement from Losman last year. So if everything proceeds as they planned, Losman and Evans will provide the fireworks for this offense.

In essence, they can now conduct steady running attack. By that I include short tosses from Losman to his backs which means from the base set they can do a variety of things. The thing is, with Lynch, these running attacks are not merely a 3 yarder or 5 yarder variety, but a realistic threat of going to the house on every one of them. At the same time, with Evans/Parrish on the field, the defensive backs have to stay back to watch for deep balls.

I want to mention that prior to his injury, McGahee was viewed as a back that can take it to the house every time he touches the ball. From what I've seen, in NFL, he became more of a pounder. He is never viewed as a good route runner, though he does catch the ball well. I think those (and the contract issue) were the main reasons that the Bills were willing to part with him and truth be told, Willis is a good fit for the Ravens for what they want to do.

YardRat
04-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Being able to run and sustain drives will go a long way to helping the other side of the ball not wear down from being on the field so long and giving up chunks of yardage on the ground in the fourth quarter.

billsburgh
04-30-2007, 07:40 AM
that's something that I caught while watching Marv's 'In their own words' episode on NFLN. when he firts took over as coach of the chiefs he said they had the worst D in the history of the league and until they could build up the D, they wanted to keep them off the field as much as possible with a grind it out time consuming offense. that seems to be the same blueprint they are following here.

HHURRICANE
04-30-2007, 07:50 AM
that's something that I caught while watching Marv's 'In their own words' episode on NFLN. when he firts took over as coach of the chiefs he said they had the worst D in the history of the league and until they could build up the D, they wanted to keep them off the field as much as possible with a grind it out time consuming offense. that seems to be the same blueprint they are following here.

Wow, good post. I had forgotten about that.

Marshawn Lynch
04-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Even if we do have a ****ty season, it will be fun to watch!

jmb1099
04-30-2007, 09:07 AM
I have been saying this too. It is no mystery at this point. We brought in 10 metric tons of oline, a couple of very good backs who can run, block and catch. Anyone game-planning for us finally has to worry about a sustained ground game and not cheating too much for fear of Losman to Evans.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Honestly I feel that if the Bills were able to pick up just those 3rd and 1 consistently, they might have a very different record in 2006 and could very well be in the playoff.

O-Line problem aside, that's my biggest beef with McGahee. He just does not look like a guy who understands the importance of picking up that one yard, jump, punching someone, squeak, do whatever; instead he constantly looks for a big homerun (dancing a bit at the backfield; could be his style that doesn't fit that profile).

Wright looks like that guy now. I hope he works out for us in that regard.