PDA

View Full Version : When did London Fletcher become a "Great Leader"

User Manuel
04-30-2007, 07:42 AM
London Fletcher was a nice football player, but production does not make you a great leader. That is like saying Eric Dickerson was a great "leader."

Lets look at the tale of the tape.

Numerous stupid penalties. Remember kicking the ball and throwing the helmet?

Undisciplined play especially on coverage drops every damned game.

Never shy about pointing the finger at someone else (see offense)

total playoff wins as a Bill: 0

A leader this does not make. Frankly I think he was part of a cabal of players with questionable lockerroom presence. This includes Bledsoe, Milloy, Mcgahee, Vincent, Spikes.

It is funny these were all Donahoe guys and they ended up in some way or another being poison in Buffalo. They also didn't win and I place much of the blame directly on them. Fair or not these guys got big money and all they did was underachieve and complain their way out of town.

We have talked about eliminating the Donahoe residue and I think we have finally done it. I don't hate London Fletcher but I tend to think of Aaron Schobel and Angelo Crowell as leaders before London Fletcher.

HHURRICANE
04-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Poluszny will be our captain in 2008 and I think that's why the Bills wanted him. We are lacking leadership on the D. Schobel and Crowell are good players but not leaders.

User Manuel
04-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Poluszny will be our captain in 2008 and I think that's why the Bills wanted him. We are lacking leadership on the D. Schobel and Crowell are good players but not leaders.

I think you put it better. This defense has had no real leadership for years. Schobel and Crowell are the best we have now. Hopefully Whitner and Poz step into those roles.

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Lets not get crazy here. It was well documented that Fletch was a great lockeroom guy and the Defensive captain.

EDS
04-30-2007, 08:41 AM
London Fletcher was a nice football player, but production does not make you a great leader. That is like saying Eric Dickerson was a great "leader."

Lets look at the tale of the tape.

Numerous stupid penalties. Remember kicking the ball and throwing the helmet?

Undisciplined play especially on coverage drops every damned game.

Never shy about pointing the finger at someone else (see offense)

total playoff wins as a Bill: 0

A leader this does not make. Frankly I think he was part of a cabal of players with questionable lockerroom presence. This includes Bledsoe, Milloy, Mcgahee, Vincent, Spikes.

It is funny these were all Donahoe guys and they ended up in some way or another being poison in Buffalo. They also didn't win and I place much of the blame directly on them. Fair or not these guys got big money and all they did was underachieve and complain their way out of town.

We have talked about eliminating the Donahoe residue and I think we have finally done it. I don't hate London Fletcher but I tend to think of Aaron Schobel and Angelo Crowell as leaders before London Fletcher.

You are off your rocker. Fletcher became a "leader" when he helped lead the Rams to the Super Bowl.

Vincent and Spikes bad lockerrom presences? That is completely false. Vincent is one of the games all-time gentlemen. The NFL would be better if there were more people like him. And Spikes? His passion was contagious. Spikes is exactly the type of guy you want next to you in the lockerroom, in the huddle and on the field.

HHURRICANE
04-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Lets not get crazy here. It was well documented that Fletch was a great lockeroom guy and the Defensive captain.

Coach Fletcher lead with his mouth. Sorry, but that wasn't leadership. Leadership isn't when you let 3 different teams run down your gut with 7 minutes on the clock never getting the ball back in the O's hands to win the game.

madness
04-30-2007, 08:43 AM
I see Poz and (dare I say it) Kelsay stepping up on defense. Both were former captains and had strong leadership roles in college.

Marshawn Lynch
04-30-2007, 08:44 AM
Fletch was the MLB, name 1 team thats leaders not the MLB!(Besides Indi)

User Manuel
04-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Are you saying because you call the defensive signals you are a leader?

I am talking about a leader of men.

Let me clarify myself. Fletcher was a leader on the Bills. But he was a poor leader and he is a prime reason this defense has failed over and over again.

And your gentleman Troy Vincent let a personal dislike of JP overrule the teams best intersts and set JP back a half season.

If the NFL Network told you Vincent was the second coming would you believe that too?

EDS
04-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Are you saying because you call the defensive signals you are a leader?

I am talking about a leader of men.

Let me clarify myself. Fletcher was a leader on the Bills. But he was a poor leader and he is a prime reason this defense has failed over and over again.

And your gentleman Troy Vincent let a personal dislike of JP overrule the teams best intersts and set JP back a half season.

If the NFL Network told you Vincent was the second coming would you believe that too?

How did Vincent have a personal dislike for JP? He hit him in practice. Football players get hit in practice. There was no intent to injure.

I have never watched the NFL Network so I have no idea why you are bringing them up.

And again, if you ask the Bills players who was the leader of the defense last year - who do you think they would say was the leader?

Looking at the future in a positive light is one thing, but to make false statements about former Bills players is stupid.

justasportsfan
04-30-2007, 09:13 AM
He's was a great leader. You can argue that his tackles were decieving because most of them were 5-10 yards after the LOS but he was a great leader.

User Manuel
04-30-2007, 09:38 AM
:baghead:
You must have had this on the last few years, eyeholes backward . Yep, DBs are always destroying QBs in practice during non-contract drills breaking the QBs leg.

My opinion is my opinion. You need to check the definition of false statements.

In my opinion Fletcher is a crappy leader and ws part of the problem.

How did Vincent have a personal dislike for JP? He hit him in practice. Football players get hit in practice. There was no intent to injure.

I have never watched the NFL Network so I have no idea why you are bringing them up.

And again, if you ask the Bills players who was the leader of the defense last year - who do you think they would say was the leader?

Looking at the future in a positive light is one thing, but to make false statements about former Bills players is stupid.

Jeff1220
04-30-2007, 09:47 AM
I don't necessarily think that TD picked guys with attitudes. I think they were mostly great players and had positive leadership qualities when picked up. I just think that several years under TD and his hype and misinformation machine, coupled with a lot of losing, turned them all somewhat bitter and sour toward the organization.

trapezeus
04-30-2007, 10:17 AM
if you talk about god ad naseum in post games, you usually get "high character" no matter how ridiculous your beliefs, and "natural leader" because of your frank and incessant talk about religion. Fletcher-baker fits the bill on both and hence the reason he was a leader.

Oh, and don't forget his ability to get pumped up after a 3 yard gain by the opposition in the 4th quarter when we were down by two scores.