• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Pats Widen Talent Gap With Bills

At the end of an NFL draft, I conduct two simple rituals. One, I run screaming into the parking lot, ecstatic that I won’t have to go through this interminable exercise for another year. Two, I stop and ask myself if the Bills have gained any ground on the Patriots.

The answer, I’m sad to report, is a resounding “No.” If anything, the gap between the Bills and their hated AFC East rivals has gotten larger since January, when New England came within an eyelash of making the Super Bowl for the fourth time in six years. MORE

---------------------------------------
    This is one of the best and most unbiased columns I've read anywhere in months. He credits and disses the Bills within the same peice. I dont think any unbiased fan regardless of how you feel about the BIlls can disagree with a single thing he says. I dont care aboutthe Patriots, this is a great read about the Bills..

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Re: Pats Widen Talent Gap With Bills

I dont think the Bills (right now) are trying to run with the likes of the Pats. I think the bills at this point are aiming at a wild card slot, and hope they can make some noise in the playoffs.

the Colts, Pats, and Chargers are in a class by themselves.. we are at least 2 years away from being considered a threat to them in the postseason.

Comment

• don137
      • Jul 2002

Talent gap may of widened but usually character players are not team players and look out for themselves over the team. I'll take a player with a little less talent but much better character over talented players with character issues. Merriweather is a thug and Moss is a me guy. Thugs and me players usually hurt team chemistry.

Comment

• CSFAN
        • Mar 2007

This troubled me quite a bit over the weekend. They've made so many moves, and added so much to a team that could have easily won the Superbowl last year.

The realistic side of me says that the Bills are still a year away from challenging them particularly with the youth on our team. The homer in me says that the Pats blinked, are trying too hard to load up too quickly for another SB run & are messing up the formula that made them great to begin with, and are taking serious risks with the team chemistry by bringing in Moss. The homer in me also says that, even though they came close, the Pats clearly lost a step last year, and are another year older this year, against a very youthful Bills team.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Good non-objective responses, guy. Good stuff

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Gunzlingr
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by don137
            ...Thugs and me players usually hurt team chemistry.
            From what I have been reading, some don't think the Moss thing is good for the Pats at all.
            You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Devin
              The Octagon
              • Apr 2003

No secret really the Pats really are stacked everywhere. Brady may damn well throw for 5000 yards this year.

ALl we can do is keep having solid drafts and hope our guys keep developing.
              http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

The Pats are the class of the NFL. They have kept on top of the league WITH major player turnover.

They are now in the position to attract major talent at discount prices - no one else can.

Unlike other sports that can just toss more money out there than anyone else (Red Sox, Yankees) this team has managed to become a dominant franchise for the forseeable future. They are smart, they don't cling to overpaid players because they performed well in the past, they are smart in free agency.

They they continue to stockpile picks by trading down in drafts instead of applying the message board "panic thinking" approch of drafting a guy "just because we need a position"

It's called patience- and it rewards them handsomely

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Gunzlingr
                  From what I have been reading, some don't think the Moss thing is good for the Pats at all.
                  How so?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

The Pats have had an incredible offseason.

Moss is a boom or bust trade. But we all know the moment he messes up, Satan will cut his ass immediately.

Right now they look unbeatable.
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by don137
                      Merriweather is a thug and Moss is a me guy. Thugs and me players usually hurt team chemistry.
                      Meriweather is no more a thug than Lynch. His off-field issues are no worse than Lynch and even the FIU incident is not worse than what Brad Butler did. You might want to check your glass house there.

As for Moss, I agree the guy is a knucklehead. However, I'd argue he is well worth the risk. The Pats have taken similar risks in the past (Corey Dillon, Bryan Cox, Rodney Harrison, Ted Washington) and had success. They hold all the leverage, because Moss took a big paycut, can be released if he acts up, and knows he has to perform because it is a contract year for him.

I'm under no illusions about Moss. However, for a 4th round pick he is worth the risk. His impact could be dramatic, and even if there is only a 50% chance he stays with the program that is worth it. He is a luxury, because they really didn't need him. They already upgraded their WR corps, he is just an extra. If it doesn't work, he will be gone.

Comment

• Marshawn Lynch
                        • Apr 2007

It’s not necessarily a bad thing. At least they’re not creating a false sense of hope by bringing in fading, big-name veterans, the way Tom Donahoe did
                        Someone Get's IT!

Comment

• madness
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by NE39
                          Meriweather is no more a thug than Lynch. His off-field issues are no worse than Lynch and even the FIU incident is not worse than what Brad Butler did. You might want to check your glass house there.

As for Moss, I agree the guy is a knucklehead. However, I'd argue he is well worth the risk. The Pats have taken similar risks in the past (Corey Dillon, Bryan Cox, Rodney Harrison, Ted Washington) and had success. They hold all the leverage, because Moss took a big paycut, can be released if he acts up, and knows he has to perform because it is a contract year for him.

I'm under no illusions about Moss. However, for a 4th round pick he is worth the risk. His impact could be dramatic, and even if there is only a 50% chance he stays with the program that is worth it. He is a luxury, because they really didn't need him. They already upgraded their WR corps, he is just an extra. If it doesn't work, he will be gone.
                          I hope you're not implying that Lynch is a thug.

Comment

• BigGabes23
                            • Mar 2006

I was about to start a new thread with this same subject. Go ahead and line the Pats four WRs aganst our four CBs.... Toss in the Best QB in the game delivering the ball to them.... These games will not be pretty.

Comment

• madness
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              The Pats have had an incredible offseason.

Moss is a boom or bust trade. But we all know the moment he messes up, Satan will cut his ass immediately.

Right now they look unbeatable.
                              Satan seems to be putting all his cards on the table before his rule is up.

Comment

Working...
                              X