PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Willis was a dumb pick for San Francisco

Bills232
04-30-2007, 09:29 AM
I don't understand why the 49ers would pick an ILB with the 11th pick...

Willis can't even use his speed in the 3-4 defense..

patmoran2006
04-30-2007, 09:35 AM
DOnt buy for 2 seconds the BS that we would've passed on Willis if he was there.. This guy is a beast.

Im VERY happy the way things worked out for Buffalo; given the way the board was this was about as good I could hope for.. But the crap about Willis not being one of the "three targets" is BS. Of course, I could TOTALLY UNDERSTAND that.. Why wouldnt the FO hype POS< they want him to have confidence not think he was "settled for".

That's typical of ANY team's FO, not just the bills

gr8slayer
04-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Lynch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Patrick Willis.

Thank you Marv for taking the guy we actually NEEDED.

Statman
04-30-2007, 09:42 AM

Willis going to SF was a major disappointment.

Don't buy the hype that Lynch will make a bigger impact than Willis. Lynch is highly dependent upon a very sketchy OL while Willis would have easily provided the cornerstone to the building of a very solid D.

There' s no question in my mind that Willis would have made an impact here for a decade, longer than Lynch likely will if he turns out to be as good as everyone is imagining.

Memories of McGahee are far too fresh on my mind however to automatically think that Lynch is finally the guy without the line to do it. Peters and Dockery, so what. He can't run to the left 80% of the time. Meanwhile, which players that we have on D will stop opponents from posting 150 yard rushing days regularly?

Jeff1220
04-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Are you kidding? Willis will be a beast for them. Do you forget that Nolan coached a guy named Ray Lewis in the same system? He sees Willis as that guy for SF.

streetkings01
04-30-2007, 10:00 AM
I'll take Lynch/Poz/Wright any day over Willis/Wright because the latter would have been our picks if we would have taken Willis @ #12.

justasportsfan
04-30-2007, 10:02 AM
that's like saying Michael Jordan would've sucked in a different system.

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Memories of McGahee are far too fresh on my mind however to automatically think that Lynch is finally the guy without the line to do it. Peters and Dockery, so what. He can't run to the left 80% of the time. Meanwhile, which players that we have on D will stop opponents from posting 150 yard rushing days regularly?

Let them.

Improve on being the 10th best scoring defense.

Als remember that last years young guys should improve.

billsburgh
04-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Let them.

Improve on being the 10th best scoring defense.

Als remember that last years young guys should improve.
stop with the positive outlook. cant you see the sky is falling and we will be 0-16

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2007, 10:16 AM
stop with the positive outlook. cant you see the sky is falling and we will be 0-16

:sadwalk:

mikemac2001
04-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Lynch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Patrick Willis.

Thank you Marv for taking the guy we actually NEEDED.

i cant wait to use lynch in madden ;)

HHURRICANE
04-30-2007, 10:20 AM
If Willis was there at #12 we were taking him. The Bills aren't going to say that "we got our second choice." Come on people. Willis is going to be great. There are alot more questions surrounding Poz than Willis.

However, I do think Lynch has just as good a chance at being a significant contributor as Willis. It was a good pick.

patmoran2006
04-30-2007, 10:24 AM
It was a great pick (for Buffalo) considering.

and im a HUGE huge Lynch supporter. BUt nobody is going to tell me they were passing on Patrick Willis if he was there, nobody..

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2007, 10:25 AM

Homer.

How does the kool-aid taste?

ghz in pittsburgh
04-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Levy mentioned the 3 top guy rated on their board. I think that 3rd guy is Lawrance Timmons picked by the Steelers. In fact Levy mentioned in WRG55 that one of those 3 was picked "3 or 4 picks after" the Bills picked.

The Steelers are going to go to Cover 2 eventually and Timmons would be great fit there.

Of course the top 3 Marv mentioned excludes those obvious top 10 talents. Now whether Willis is on that top 10 talents I'm not sure. Had Willis avaialble at 12, strategically speaking, they might still go for Lynch because they'll have a much better chance nabbing one of the Willis, Poz, Timmons, and Beason later.

patmoran2006
04-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Supposedly, it was Reevis.

don137
04-30-2007, 11:11 AM
I know many would of loved having Willis but I think you could not of filled our RB and LB need any better than those two. The drop off between Willis and Poz is not nearly as great as the drop off from Lynch to the next rated RB. I would not change a thing...

NFLfan
04-30-2007, 01:34 PM
i think willis will be a great pick for my 49ers.
As the guy mentioned earlier nolan envisions patrick willis to be our ray lewis.
And we can finally get derek smith off the starting team, thank god

gr8slayer
04-30-2007, 02:04 PM

and im a HUGE huge Lynch supporter. BUt nobody is going to tell me they were passing on Patrick Willis if he was there, nobody..
I'm telling you that he wouldn't have been picked by us.

YardRat
04-30-2007, 03:32 PM
DOnt buy for 2 seconds the BS that we would've passed on Willis if he was there.. This guy is a beast.

Im VERY happy the way things worked out for Buffalo; given the way the board was this was about as good I could hope for.. But the crap about Willis not being one of the "three targets" is BS. Of course, I could TOTALLY UNDERSTAND that.. Why wouldnt the FO hype POS< they want him to have confidence not think he was "settled for".

That's typical of ANY team's FO, not just the bills

I don't find it unbelievable that Willis wasn't one of the three targets if they were assuming he would already be gone before #12. If Willis would've dropped that far, he may have been #1 of four at that point.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Marv said in his PC after they drafted Lynch that even if Willis was there they still wouldv'e taken Lynch so he wouldn't have been a Bill anyways.

Devin
04-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Willis will succeed no matter where he goes.

NJFINSFAN1
04-30-2007, 03:48 PM

Willis will be a beast for them.

HHURRICANE
04-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Marv said in his PC after they drafted Lynch that even if Willis was there they still wouldv'e taken Lynch so he wouldn't have been a Bill anyways.

Whatever.

Again, if Willis was there at #12 he would be a Bill. Marv has no problem telling a lie to kepp his new players motivated.

Hopper15
05-01-2007, 07:35 PM

What do you expect him to say. We were taking Willis no matter what.

Think people.

Goobylal
05-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Poz was always the LB'er they wanted. Not Willis. They talked WAY too much about Willis and how he'd be gone, kind of like they were telling another team that they HAD to take him before 12.

Hopper15
05-01-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't believe that. Poz is not better then Willis.

Goobylal
05-01-2007, 07:47 PM
That's your belief. That's not necessarily the belief of Marv and co., or other people.