PDA

View Full Version : What the first two years of the Levy Era have shown

Don't Panic
04-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Based on the decisions made by OBD since Levy took over, it is blatantly obvious that they feel the best approach is to build this team from the ground up through the draft, then add a key FA or two when they have a solid nucleus formed and go from there. It was either go that road, or try to win now with what was left from the Donahoe era. Levy and Co. obviously thought the latter had very little chance of being successful, so he went full on with the youth movement.

When I look at the draft as an isolated entity, I am a little upset since I feel there were guys who could have helped us sooner than later that we passed on (including the trade scenarios for vets that have been endlessly tossed around here for the last 3 months). However, after taking a deep breath (everybody with me now.... ) and trying to see the master plan, it all makes perfect sense.

It is very hard for us (at least some of us) to accept this logic when we want so badly to be competitive again, but the one thing you can say about Levy is that he has not wavered from his original plan. That's something you couldn't really say about Donahoe, since it was never really clear what his plan was. For that, I am happy.

My hope is that we:
a) Stick to our defensive philosphy since we have now spent two drafts/FA periods building towards it.
b) Have a good enough showing this year that we can bring in a difference maker or two and really make a run in '08 (I realize how hard that is to hear for some).

Therefore, after careful thought and judgement, in Marv I still trust.

patmoran2006
04-30-2007, 12:07 PM
I trust Marv, i dont trust Ralph WIlson.

Let him sell the team, Keep Marv as GM and develop a good young GM under him and this team will go places.

Until then, it will be almost exclusively losing vets year after year when they get too pricey, and just replacing them with rookie draft picks.

Does anyone here truly think Wilson is going to fork up when it comes time to really PAY Lee Evans, Jason Peters and Aaron Schobel in the next two years (I"m not even counting Losman)??? I think the answer is no, and even if I'm wrong about one of the guys, it will come with a price as productive players get cut to make it fit under our "cash to cap" philosophy. Yes, we will never get into salary cap jail under these terms, but we'll also never do what it takes to field a team that's comparable to the Patriots or other powerhouses as long as Wilson signs the checks.

Figuratively speaking, I am dreaming that Wilson sells the team within the next two years, to a guy who's top priority is keeping it in Buffalo.

Until then, this will continue to be an addition by subtraction + the draft type of team.. Sorry

Don't Panic
04-30-2007, 12:28 PM
OK, but that has to prove itself out before we can judge it. If we lose Lee and/or JP or anyone else for that matter after they continue to produce because of frugality, then you'll have a point (and the future of this team will be in trouble). All I'm saying is that in the meantime, the here and now, there is a plan in place and they are definitely sticking to it.

jdbillsfan
04-30-2007, 12:38 PM
I don't necessarily blame any of the losses on Ralph. He may not spend a lot over the cap, but he seems to go with what the GM and Coaching staff want to do most of the time. Teams do make that strategy work, its just up to the GM to make it work.

The losses this offseason all have a good reasoning behind them, in my opinion. Even previous losses seem to be a result of the player/coaching staff not gelling right.

I think Ralph will put up the cash for Evans and JP if he continues to develop. They seem to do a good job of keeping their up and comers. Spikes, Fletcher and McGahee all had issues. Clements was just poor management, but I dont blame it on Wilson. I think it being Levy's first year as GM and new coaching staff, they weren't strong enough to put the Franchise Tag on him. I think they learned their lesson.

I think Overdorf may have overpaid for Walker, and with the extra money they could have signed another FA, but I don't blame Ralph.

jdbillsfan
04-30-2007, 12:43 PM

Let him sell the team, Keep Marv as GM and develop a good young GM under him and this team will go places.

Until then, it will be almost exclusively losing vets year after year when they get too pricey, and just replacing them with rookie draft picks.

Does anyone here truly think Wilson is going to fork up when it comes time to really PAY Lee Evans, Jason Peters and Aaron Schobel in the next two years (I"m not even counting Losman)??? I think the answer is no, and even if I'm wrong about one of the guys, it will come with a price as productive players get cut to make it fit under our "cash to cap" philosophy. Yes, we will never get into salary cap jail under these terms, but we'll also never do what it takes to field a team that's comparable to the Patriots or other powerhouses as long as Wilson signs the checks.

Figuratively speaking, I am dreaming that Wilson sells the team within the next two years, to a guy who's top priority is keeping it in Buffalo.

Until then, this will continue to be an addition by subtraction + the draft type of team.. Sorry

To be honest, I think he does fork it over for Evans and Peters and probably Losman. I like Schobel, but he could be the one guy that maybe they don't. He is a team guy, but getting a little up there in age.

I could be crazy.

mybills
04-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Based on the decisions made by OBD since Levy took over, it is blatantly obvious that they feel the best approach is to build this team from the ground up through the draft, then add a key FA or two when they have a solid nucleus formed and go from there. It was either go that road, or try to win now with what was left from the Donahoe era. Levy and Co. obviously thought the latter had very little chance of being successful, so he went full on with the youth movement.

When I look at the draft as an isolated entity, I am a little upset since I feel there were guys who could have helped us sooner than later that we passed on (including the trade scenarios for vets that have been endlessly tossed around here for the last 3 months). However, after taking a deep breath (everybody with me now.... ) and trying to see the master plan, it all makes perfect sense.

It is very hard for us (at least some of us) to accept this logic when we want so badly to be competitive again, but the one thing you can say about Levy is that he has not wavered from his original plan. That's something you couldn't really say about Donahoe, since it was never really clear what his plan was. For that, I am happy.

My hope is that we:
a) Stick to our defensive philosphy since we have now spent two drafts/FA periods building towards it.
b) Have a good enough showing this year that we can bring in a difference maker or two and really make a run in '08 (I realize how hard that is to hear for some).

:posrep:

alohabillsfan
08-30-2007, 12:11 PM

1 down :poop:

raphael120
08-30-2007, 12:13 PM
So signing 7 FA's last year and only having 3 of them still on the team this year and none of them making an impact whatsoever...that's how Marv builds through FA?

OpIv37
08-30-2007, 12:14 PM
I think implementing this defensive philosophy was a mistake in the first place and the longer we stick to it, the longer it will take to rebuild from it. Two off-seasons in, we're still lacking key personnel for this D.

raphael120
08-30-2007, 12:44 PM
I think implementing this defensive philosophy was a mistake in the first place and the longer we stick to it, the longer it will take to rebuild from it. Two off-seasons in, we're still lacking key personnel for this D.

Op... DUH! Marv gets all the time he wants! He's Marv! HE's got the master plan!

GOSH!

(who do i sound like?)

justasportsfan
08-30-2007, 12:50 PM

My hope is that we:

:clap: The same blueprint from the 4 sb team.

Elminster
08-30-2007, 01:05 PM
It's nice to see people keeping the faith. I myself will trust in Marv's plan(which is apparent and already spelled out here) because it is how every Super Bowl winner and nearly every Super Bowl loser has been doing for the past few decades. It obviously works. When I look at the Redskins, I am reminded why we can't sign every FA on the market.

Of course, I see some have already made up their minds on Marv. They were probably the same people who wanted to run JK out of town after his first year and were whining about the team going nowhere in 1989....

OpIv37
08-30-2007, 01:08 PM
It's nice to see people keeping the faith. I myself will trust in Marv's plan(which is apparent and already spelled out here) because it is how every Super Bowl winner and nearly every Super Bowl loser has been doing for the past few decades. It obviously works. When I look at the Redskins, I am reminded why we can't sign every FA on the market.

Of course, I see some have already made up their minds on Marv. They were probably the same people who wanted to run JK out of town after his first year and were whining about the team going nowhere in 1989....

it only works with proper execution....

feldspar
08-30-2007, 01:08 PM
To be honest, I think he does fork it over for Evans and Peters and probably Losman. I like Schobel, but he could be the one guy that maybe they don't. He is a team guy, but getting a little up there in age.

I could be crazy.

You could be crazy, but you are definately dead-wrong.

We just signed Schobel to a seven year deal.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Bills have signed DE Aaron Schobel to a seven-year, $50.5 million contract. $21 million is guaranteed.
The three remaining base salaries Schobel had on his old deal are now guaranteed. So is his new salary of $6 million in 2010. Schobel, one of the most underrated ends in the league, didn't get as much as Dwight Freeney (six years, $72 million) at first glance, but his contract is more stable. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>......<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->