PDA

View Full Version : This NEEDS to be said

User Manuel
04-30-2007, 01:21 PM
I am feeling a bit angry today....

Why do some people keep harping that it was a mistake to draft Trent Edwards with our 3rd round pick when we had a "need" a CB, backup LB and WR. Is there some reason to believe that anyone we took there would definately be better than:

1) Ashton Youboty (3rd Round Pick)
2) Keith Ellison (played well)
3) Peerless Price or Josh Reed

Name the player and make a guarantee and prepare to be negged when you are wrong.:negrep:

Also, while I was no Poz fan anyone guaranteeing Harris is better is full of it.

Come on!!!! And please don't go on about Siler or Alexander because apparently alot of other poeple in the NFL felt the same way about them.

Philagape
04-30-2007, 01:31 PM
It's not a matter of playing better than any starter, but adding depth and creating competition, which could make them all better. And unlike QB, a player at any of those positions would make a significant contribution. Another CB or WR would see the field a lot.

User Manuel
04-30-2007, 01:34 PM
It's not a matter of playing better than any starter, but adding depth and creating competition, which could make them all better. And unlike QB, a player at any of those positions would make a significant contribution. Another CB or WR would see the field a lot.

I can accept that logic, but alot of people are claiming that the 3rd round pick would have produced a sure fire starter. That simply isn't true.

YardRat
04-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Hell, the only reason the first and second round picks are 'sure-fire starters' are because we have gaping holes that needed to be filled at those positions.

Mr. Miyagi
04-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Also, while I was no Poz fan anyone guaranteeing Harris is better is full of it.
You're no Poz fan? :negrep:

Poz is the next Urlacher baby!

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 01:41 PM

Why do some people keep harping that it was a mistake to draft Trent Edwards with our 3rd round pick when we had a "need" a CB, backup LB and WR. Is there some reason to believe that anyone we took there would definately be better than:

Name the player and make a guarantee and prepare to be negged when you are wrong.:negrep:

Come on!!!! And please don't go on about Siler or Alexander because apparently alot of other poeple in the NFL felt the same way about them.

There ARE no guarantees. But first, any LB picked in the 3rd round would be depth behind Ellison, Pos and Crowell who are the starters. We really have a load of **** behind them.

Second, same for CB- what's wrong with bringing in one for depth and/or camp competition? What if Youboty sucks in camp and preseason? At least with a 3rd round pick, we'd have another option to look at. Again, no guarantee, but you'd increase the chances of having a decent CB.

Third, when it comes to WR, Reed and Price have been mediocre for years now. Neither can consistently take pressure off Evans. Is a 3rd round guaranteed to be better? No, but it's a possibility and they could fight it out in camp. Combine that with the fact that both Reed and Price signed backloaded contracts that mean they'd be really expensive to keep in '08, and WR is a bigger priority than most people realize.

User Manuel
04-30-2007, 01:42 PM

I can't go back on my prior statements. I hated the idea of Poz at 12. I like him much better at 34. I can like him with no guilt now. I just didnt think he was avalue at 12. It is much how I felt about Whitner last year. No problem with the player, just how high.

User Manuel
04-30-2007, 01:44 PM
There ARE no guarantees. But first, any LB picked in the 3rd round would be depth behind Ellison, Pos and Crowell who are the starters. We really have a load of **** behind them.

Second, same for CB- what's wrong with bringing in one for depth and/or camp competition? What if Youboty sucks in camp and preseason? At least with a 3rd round pick, we'd have another option to look at. Again, no guarantee, but you'd increase the chances of having a decent CB.

Third, when it comes to WR, Reed and Price have been mediocre for years now. Neither can consistently take pressure off Evans. Is a 3rd round guaranteed to be better? No, but it's a possibility and they could fight it out in camp. Combine that with the fact that both Reed and Price signed backloaded contracts that mean they'd be really expensive to keep in '08, and WR is a bigger priority than most people realize.

Darrell Jackson would have looked nice for that 4th rounder in spite of his cost.

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 01:44 PM
And unlike QB, a player at any of those positions would make a significant contribution. Another CB or WR would see the field a lot.

This is the biggest reason why I hate that 3rd round pick. If Losman gets injured without Edwards, we're screwed. If Losman gets injured with Edwards, well, we're still screwed. I'm not saying Edwards sucks- I'm saying QB has the highest learning curve in the NFL and the chances of him coming off the bench and contributing THIS year are slim to none.

A WR or CB- while no guarantee- would be much more likely to contribute in some form THIS season.

camelcowboy
04-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Hughes from cal should have been the pick. And the world champs who run the cover 2 drafted him the next pick. He's going to be a very good cover 2 corner and this is from a team that makes good decisions drafting corners late. Edwards A project qb who has played on a crappy team, who has a blood diease and who is going to be the third qb on this team is not the better pick. Neg me all you want its luxury pick on a team has many needs. A third string qb should be less of a priority then a cb who could be 3rd 4th on the depth chart. Because nickel and dime backs will play 500 snaps a year. It was a bad pick for this team.

Mudflap1
04-30-2007, 01:56 PM
I never said that a 3rd round pick instead of Edwards (or not used as leverage to trade up for Pos) would result in sure fire starters. However, it would go to a position in much bigger need than QB. This team needs WR's, LB's, and CB's.

Besides, Edwards sucks! Maybe in the 5th round or something...

Jon

ddaryl
04-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Edwards was a great pick regardless of other needs.

We need a rock solid #2 capable QB and picking Edwards this year gives him a year to work under the system, and time to get up to NFL speed and be that rock solid #2 guy. The QB positon takes talent and takes an investment of time. When you get a FA QB as your #2 guy you get another teams cast off or an aging vet with diminishing skills. With a drafted rookie QB we get quite a bit more possible upside.

Injuries happen, and it's more then likely JP will miss 1/2 dozen games over the next few years. Jp also has a contract due in 2008 which it would be foolish to not have a plan in place in case he is not resignable for whatever reason. Also it is possible that JP can regress in his developement. If any of these things happen all of us will extremely happy we have Edwards on the team.

The other fact is marv will get some guys in here to shore up our depth at all of our positions.

CSFAN
04-30-2007, 02:01 PM
It's amazing to me that people think we were "all set" at the backup QB position. Even at the starting QB position, we've got a guy who had one good half of a season. I have high hopes for JP, but we have absolutely no insurance at the most important position a team has.

It took the Bills brain trust - who have put together 2 outstanding drafts - about 20 seconds to decide this pick. That should tell everyone something.

patmoran2006
04-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Edwards was a great pick regardless of other needs.

We need a rock solid #2 capable QB and picking Edwards this year gives him a year to work under the system, and time to get up to NFL speed and be that rock solid #2 guy. The QB positon takes talent and takes an investment of time. When you get a FA QB as your #2 guy you get another teams cast off or an aging vet with diminishing skills. With a drafted rookie QB we get quite a bit more possible upside.

Injuries happen, and it's more then likely JP will miss 1/2 dozen games over the next few years. Jp also has a contract due in 2008 which it would be foolish to not have a plan in place in case he is not resignable for whatever reason. Also it is possible that JP can regress in his developement. If any of these things happen all of us will extremely happy we have Edwards on the team.

The other fact is marv will get some guys in here to shore up our depth at all of our positions.Mudflaps bigger problem seems to be he thinks Edwards sucks.. WHich if true he has a legit case..

What I dont like is Polian took Daymeion Hughes next, which to me all but ensures he's a good CB and we should've taken him.

But, I am not hating on Edwards.. I dont hate the pick.

Mudflap1
04-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Mudflaps bigger problem seems to be he thinks Edwards sucks.. WHich if true he has a legit case..

What I dont like is Polian took Daymeion Hughes next, which to me all but ensures he's a good CB and we should've taken him.

Boy, you just summed up everything perfectly right there. And remember, Dungy is the father of the Cover 2 defense, exactly what we are trying to emulate.

So if we took, say, Hughes instead of Edwards, I'd be feeling much better about this draft.

As an aside, as well as seeing Trent Edwards play many times (and coming away feeling, even months ago, that he completely stinks), I think Marshawn Lynch is a pretty darn good player. I just hope the ghetto bird factor doesn't come into play in Buffalo, ala Willis McHamSandwich style.

Hughes is a good player also, IMO.

Jon

camelcowboy
04-30-2007, 02:20 PM
I have no problems with Edwards as a prospect. I have a problem with the players we passed up for him. The position of qb is not a need, and now with Moss, Stallworth, for the pats the games plans for playing against the bills is going to be spread us out. Your going to see alot of 4-5 wide outs against us. I have no problem with our top 3, but our lack of corner depth is going to be a issue.

User Manuel
04-30-2007, 02:28 PM
I have no problems with Edwards as a prospect. I have a problem with the players we passed up for him. The position of qb is not a need, and now with Moss, Stallworth, for the pats the games plans for playing against the bills is going to be spread us out. Your going to see alot of 4-5 wide outs against us. I have no problem with our top 3, but our lack of corner depth is going to be a issue.

Now from that perspective a CB makes a lot of sense.

Mudflap1
04-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah... how 'bout that!

Jon

chernobylwraiths
04-30-2007, 02:47 PM
This is the biggest reason why I hate that 3rd round pick. If Losman gets injured without Edwards, we're screwed. If Losman gets injured with Edwards, well, we're still screwed. I'm not saying Edwards sucks- I'm saying QB has the highest learning curve in the NFL and the chances of him coming off the bench and contributing THIS year are slim to none.

A WR or CB- while no guarantee- would be much more likely to contribute in some form THIS season.

What round was Youboty picked in last year?

They are freaking draft picks people. You get the best player you can and fill the rest of your roster with free agents and such. If the team felt that a QB was far and away the best player left on their board, who the hell am I to say that I don't want him and would rather have a CB that you don't feel that highly of?

I hated our draft last year and it turned to to be pretty good so far. I think all of the closet GMs should quit whining until they start playing some games. I do know that even if they went 16 and 0 some of you would find SOMETHING to ***** about. Kind of like the Sabres. "They aren't winning good enough" They aren't playing a full 60 minutes" "

Don't Panic
04-30-2007, 02:58 PM

I truly hope you're right about that.

camelcowboy
04-30-2007, 02:59 PM

They are freaking draft picks people. You get the best player you can and fill the rest of your roster with free agents and such. If the team felt that a QB was far and away the best player left on their board, who the hell am I to say that I don't want him and would rather have a CB that you don't feel that highly of?

I hated our draft last year and it turned to to be pretty good so far. I think all of the closet GMs should quit whining until they start playing some games. I do know that even if they went 16 and 0 some of you would find SOMETHING to ***** about. Kind of like the Sabres. "They aren't winning good enough" They aren't playing a full 60 minutes" " Lets not have opinions and express them, this board would be pretty dead. I hate this line of thinking lets reserve judgement because we know nothing. Makes no sense to me. Isn't that why we spend our time here? we follow the sport we have our views they maybe wrong, but none of us know. We all hated last years draft it turned out well, people like our draft this year, it may turn out to be horrible. Point is we can discuss our logic why we don't like or like the draft. If you don't like negativity then go post on the board of a team that has won something in the last decade. If you don't like it hide in the twilight zone. Bottom line is the bills have broken the 500 mark once this century, its not the end of the world, but im not going to dismiss it by saying we should all sing songs and be happy.

We may be "closet Gm's" but considering Hughes for example was drafted the pick after we took edwards i'd say i have the right to question the bills thinking. I just heard Polian gush about this guy on NFL radio, and this guy has been the best GM in the league for a long time. So i trust his evaluation he's won a superbowl and runs our defense. Im sorry i love Marv but he's not the GM yet that Polian is theres my logic.

BTW chern sabres have accomplished nothing yet. Watch the Senators and Devils or the Sharks and Detriot and tell me that the sabres are playing on the same level.

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 03:00 PM

I hated our draft last year and it turned to to be pretty good so far. I think all of the closet GMs should quit whining until they start playing some games. I do know that even if they went 16 and 0 some of you would find SOMETHING to ***** about. Kind of like the Sabres. "They aren't winning good enough" They aren't playing a full 60 minutes" "

what part of "depth" did you miss? We lost a CB and didn't gain any. What if McGee gets injured? Then we have Youboty and Thomas starting and who at nickel? Greer maybe?

And what happens if we get to training camp and Youboty looks like ****? Or even McGee- he's struggled for 2 of his 3 seasons at CB.

So, instead of trying to rectify that situation, they use the pick on a clipboard holder who DEFINITELY will not contribute in 07?

This pick just does not acknowlege the reality of the team's current situation.

justasportsfan
04-30-2007, 03:05 PM
So, instead of trying to rectify that situation, they use the pick on a clipboard holder who DEFINITELY will not contribute in 07?

.Obviously our FO didn't think the cb talent in the later rounds were good enough to contribute in 07 either.

camelcowboy
04-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Obviously our FO didn't think the cb talent in the later rounds were good enough to contribute in 07 either. Edwards is going make huge contributions with a cap and clipboard in 07. At least a depth corner can play special teams. :rolleyes:

OpIv37
04-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Obviously our FO didn't think the cb talent in the later rounds were good enough to contribute in 07 either.

Yet, they weren't afraid to "reach" for Whitner and McCargo last year because they were positions of need. Makes me wonder why they didn't apply the same strategy this year.

justasportsfan
04-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Edwards is going make huge contributions with a cap and clipboard in 07. At least a depth corner can play special teams. :rolleyes:
JP is also an unkown and so is Nall. Like OP said it takes time for a qb to develop. What if Jp busts this year and Nall is nothing more than a no. 2 ? If Edwards was ranked high in the FO charts, it's not a bad pick for a critical position that isn't 100% .

Edwards will also do something at camp. Push Nall. Didn't we grab a safety already who's athletically gifted to play ST? They White guy who jumped 66 inches?

We need a qb anyways since we got rid of noodle arm ,why not get one who could be a good starter? I like JP but if this guy turns out to beat JP then so be it. It's also an insurance in case JP leaves when his contract is up.

justasportsfan
04-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Yet, they weren't afraid to "reach" for Whitner and McCargo last year because they were positions of need. Makes me wonder why they didn't apply the same strategy this year.

Different draft class, diferent circumstance. How did that reach turn out? Did you like it? If so, wouldnt that decision solicite a benefit of the doubt that our FO knows how to draft ? If so, wouldn't you think they know the talent that was left behind ? Read my posts prior to this, we don't have a no. 3 qb. Why not grab one that they think could be a good qb if they though the cb's left weren't gonna be any better than the likes of Kiwaukee?

camelcowboy
04-30-2007, 03:25 PM
JP is also an unkown and so is Nall. Like OP said it takes time for a qb to develop. What if Jp busts this year and Nall is nothing more than a no. 2 ? If Edwards was ranked high in the FO charts, it's not a bad pick for a critical position that isn't 100% .

Edwards will also do something at camp. Push Nall. Didn't we grab a safety already who's athletically gifted to play ST? They White guy who jumped 66 inches?

We need a qb anyways since we got rid of noodle arm ,why not get one who could be a good starter? I like JP but if this guy turns out to beat JP then so be it. It's also an insurance in case JP leaves when his contract is up. Well if they are drafting him because they are unsure of Losman then how are we going to know if he can play in this league. If losman gets into injury problems fine, then we may see him. But if JP plays good and leaves because he doesn't get a contract then i stop watching the bills you don't let good qbs leave. Competition for a back up qb is the least of my worries. Greer as my final corner on the depth chart is more worrisome then Nall. If nall or edwards play this year we may be drafting in the top ten next year regardless.

justasportsfan
04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Well if they are drafting him because they are unsure of Losman then how are we going to know if he can play in this league. If losman gets into injury problems fine, then we may see him. But if JP plays good and leaves because he doesn't get a contract then i stop watching the bills you don't let good qbs leave. Competition for a back up qb is the least of my worries. Greer as my final corner on the depth chart is more worrisome then Nall. If nall or edwards play this year we may be drafting in the top ten next year regardless.

So far our scouting department have done a good job this last 2 years. I'm sure they've scouted the cb's evnough to say that there's more value in taking a qb who could be good at his position for years to come than a cb who will merely nothing more than ST player this year but will never amount to anything down the road.

Jan Reimers
04-30-2007, 03:44 PM

I agree. Why pick some schmo who is the 22nd best WR, when the 3rd best QB - and a top 50 player in many rankings - is available?

SoCalBillsFan
04-30-2007, 03:46 PM
I think you have to look at the Edwards pick as a long term pick, not a this year pick. Yeah, a CB in rd 3 would have helped this year. Would it have made a huge impact? Probably not.

They are building this team to go to the Super Bowl. QB depth is a problem for us long term. Maybe Edwards won't help this year, but he will next and into the future. If Losman underperforms, we won't have to start all over again. I think the vallue in that is much better than a 3rd round corner who might have contributed this year.

Bill Cody
04-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Edwards is a better prospect than Losman.

Jan Reimers
04-30-2007, 03:52 PM
I think you have to look at the Edwards pick as a long term pick, not a this year pick. Yeah, a CB in rd 3 would have helped this year. Would it have made a huge impact? Probably not.

They are building this team to go to the Super Bowl. QB depth is a problem for us long term. Maybe Edwards won't help this year, but he will next and into the future. If Losman underperforms, we won't have to start all over again. I think the vallue in that is much better than a 3rd round corner who might have contributed this year.
Totally agree. Sometimes you have to look a little beyond the tip of your nose.

SABURZFAN
04-30-2007, 05:27 PM

Why do some people keep harping that it was a mistake to draft Trent Edwards with our 3rd round pick when we had a "need" a CB, backup LB and WR.

no trust in marv. :down:

camelcowboy
04-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Totally agree. Sometimes you have to look a little beyond the tip of your nose. Picking Edwards shows me the bills had their nose up the arse on pick 94.

Philagape
04-30-2007, 05:53 PM

It's because we're building a contender that I think we should go all out to make this team win now. Our current window has until 2008 because after that our stars' contracts start running out. So I'm not real concerned with building long-term. I'm willing to mortgage the future to take a Super Bowl shot with this team.

B-DON
04-30-2007, 06:14 PM

Every team in the league is going to have problems with those wr's. No team can field that many good cb's or safties, its just not possible. No matter what cb we would of drafted in rd 3, welker or stallworth would still be burning them. No cb in rd 3 can guard any of these 3 right now

Mr. Cynical
04-30-2007, 06:29 PM

:10:

Mr. Cynical
04-30-2007, 06:30 PM

Senior moment.

:fogey:

SoCalBillsFan
04-30-2007, 06:42 PM
It's because we're building a contender that I think we should go all out to make this team win now. Our current window has until 2008 because after that our stars' contracts start running out. So I'm not real concerned with building long-term. I'm willing to mortgage the future to take a Super Bowl shot with this team.

I guess, to be honest, I don't think we have a Super Bowl team this year, with or without a third round CB. Next year's team will be much better after another draft and FA period. I think next year, going into the draft, we'll be so much deeper at QB and RB that we'll be able to focus on CB and DL.

Guys like Edwards and Wright will hopefully provide valuable depth that Super Bowl teams need. We'll be glad to have them next year. I see your point that this team may not be as good off this year as it could have been, but I think it will be better off next year.

Philagape
04-30-2007, 06:53 PM
I guess, to be honest, I don't think we have a Super Bowl team this year, with or without a third round CB. Next year's team will be much better after another draft and FA period. I think next year, going into the draft, we'll be so much deeper at QB and RB that we'll be able to focus on CB and DL.

Guys like Edwards and Wright will hopefully provide valuable depth that Super Bowl teams need. We'll be glad to have them next year. I see your point that this team may not be as good off this year as it could have been, but I think it will be better off next year.

I agree that 2008 is the target year. I don't expect much from mid-round rookies this year, but next year they'd be valuable pieces.
If Edwards' development is typical, I don't think he'd be ready to lead a contending team until his third year, if at all.

camelcowboy
04-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Every team in the league is going to have problems with those wr's. No team can field that many good cb's or safties, its just not possible. No matter what cb we would of drafted in rd 3, welker or stallworth would still be burning them. No cb in rd 3 can guard any of these 3 right nowIts not my contention that a round 3 receiver can guard moss or stallworth. Those will be a major handfull for any corners in the league, but teams like the Washington, Giants, Philly, your going to see 4th, and 3rd wideouts running all over the likes of Greer and Thomas. Kelly Washington for the Pats or Caldwell. We need more depth at the position.

HHURRICANE
04-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Siler in the 7th would of had a bigger impact than Edwards in the 3rd. Edwards is guranteed a roster spot even if he sucks.

Siler would have needed to make the team probably elevating the play of our loser backers like DiGirgio and Wire.

HHURRICANE
04-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Siler in the 7th would of had a bigger impact than Edwards in the 3rd. Edwards is guranteed a roster spot even if he sucks.

Siler would have needed to make the team probably elevating the play of our loser backers like DiGirgio and Wire.

The converse argument is that we saw how good our 3rd round DT has done. He's going to get a challenge form our UDFA if he makes it to camp.

SABURZFAN
04-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Edwards is guranteed a roster spot even if he sucks.

that could be said about ANY QB drafted in the 3rd round.

justasportsfan
04-30-2007, 09:08 PM

Really? Then why didn't the bears and the colts think so? Both cover 2 defenses.