• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • User Manuel
    The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
    • Nov 2003

This NEEDS to be said

I am feeling a bit angry today....

Why do some people keep harping that it was a mistake to draft Trent Edwards with our 3rd round pick when we had a "need" a CB, backup LB and WR. Is there some reason to believe that anyone we took there would definately be better than:

1) Ashton Youboty (3rd Round Pick)
    2) Keith Ellison (played well)
    3) Peerless Price or Josh Reed

Name the player and make a guarantee and prepare to be negged when you are wrong.

Also, while I was no Poz fan anyone guaranteeing Harris is better is full of it.

Come on!!!! And please don't go on about Siler or Alexander because apparently alot of other poeple in the NFL felt the same way about them.
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: This NEEDS to be said

It's not a matter of playing better than any starter, but adding depth and creating competition, which could make them all better. And unlike QB, a player at any of those positions would make a significant contribution. Another CB or WR would see the field a lot.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• User Manuel
      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Philagape
      It's not a matter of playing better than any starter, but adding depth and creating competition, which could make them all better. And unlike QB, a player at any of those positions would make a significant contribution. Another CB or WR would see the field a lot.
      I can accept that logic, but alot of people are claiming that the 3rd round pick would have produced a sure fire starter. That simply isn't true.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Hell, the only reason the first and second round picks are 'sure-fire starters' are because we have gaping holes that needed to be filled at those positions.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Lawesome97
          Also, while I was no Poz fan anyone guaranteeing Harris is better is full of it.
          You're no Poz fan?

Poz is the next Urlacher baby!

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Why do some people keep harping that it was a mistake to draft Trent Edwards with our 3rd round pick when we had a "need" a CB, backup LB and WR. Is there some reason to believe that anyone we took there would definately be better than:

Name the player and make a guarantee and prepare to be negged when you are wrong.

Come on!!!! And please don't go on about Siler or Alexander because apparently alot of other poeple in the NFL felt the same way about them.
            There ARE no guarantees. But first, any LB picked in the 3rd round would be depth behind Ellison, Pos and Crowell who are the starters. We really have a load of **** behind them.

Second, same for CB- what's wrong with bringing in one for depth and/or camp competition? What if Youboty sucks in camp and preseason? At least with a 3rd round pick, we'd have another option to look at. Again, no guarantee, but you'd increase the chances of having a decent CB.

Third, when it comes to WR, Reed and Price have been mediocre for years now. Neither can consistently take pressure off Evans. Is a 3rd round guaranteed to be better? No, but it's a possibility and they could fight it out in camp. Combine that with the fact that both Reed and Price signed backloaded contracts that mean they'd be really expensive to keep in '08, and WR is a bigger priority than most people realize.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• User Manuel
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
              You're no Poz fan?

Poz is the next Urlacher baby!
              I can't go back on my prior statements. I hated the idea of Poz at 12. I like him much better at 34. I can like him with no guilt now. I just didnt think he was avalue at 12. It is much how I felt about Whitner last year. No problem with the player, just how high.

Comment

• User Manuel
                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                There ARE no guarantees. But first, any LB picked in the 3rd round would be depth behind Ellison, Pos and Crowell who are the starters. We really have a load of **** behind them.

Second, same for CB- what's wrong with bringing in one for depth and/or camp competition? What if Youboty sucks in camp and preseason? At least with a 3rd round pick, we'd have another option to look at. Again, no guarantee, but you'd increase the chances of having a decent CB.

Third, when it comes to WR, Reed and Price have been mediocre for years now. Neither can consistently take pressure off Evans. Is a 3rd round guaranteed to be better? No, but it's a possibility and they could fight it out in camp. Combine that with the fact that both Reed and Price signed backloaded contracts that mean they'd be really expensive to keep in '08, and WR is a bigger priority than most people realize.
                Darrell Jackson would have looked nice for that 4th rounder in spite of his cost.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
                  And unlike QB, a player at any of those positions would make a significant contribution. Another CB or WR would see the field a lot.
                  This is the biggest reason why I hate that 3rd round pick. If Losman gets injured without Edwards, we're screwed. If Losman gets injured with Edwards, well, we're still screwed. I'm not saying Edwards sucks- I'm saying QB has the highest learning curve in the NFL and the chances of him coming off the bench and contributing THIS year are slim to none.

A WR or CB- while no guarantee- would be much more likely to contribute in some form THIS season.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• camelcowboy
                    • Mar 2005

Hughes from cal should have been the pick. And the world champs who run the cover 2 drafted him the next pick. He's going to be a very good cover 2 corner and this is from a team that makes good decisions drafting corners late. Edwards A project qb who has played on a crappy team, who has a blood diease and who is going to be the third qb on this team is not the better pick. Neg me all you want its luxury pick on a team has many needs. A third string qb should be less of a priority then a cb who could be 3rd 4th on the depth chart. Because nickel and dime backs will play 500 snaps a year. It was a bad pick for this team.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                      Next Question!
                      • Nov 2004

I never said that a 3rd round pick instead of Edwards (or not used as leverage to trade up for Pos) would result in sure fire starters. However, it would go to a position in much bigger need than QB. This team needs WR's, LB's, and CB's.

Besides, Edwards sucks! Maybe in the 5th round or something...

Jon

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

Edwards was a great pick regardless of other needs.

We need a rock solid #2 capable QB and picking Edwards this year gives him a year to work under the system, and time to get up to NFL speed and be that rock solid #2 guy. The QB positon takes talent and takes an investment of time. When you get a FA QB as your #2 guy you get another teams cast off or an aging vet with diminishing skills. With a drafted rookie QB we get quite a bit more possible upside.

Injuries happen, and it's more then likely JP will miss 1/2 dozen games over the next few years. Jp also has a contract due in 2008 which it would be foolish to not have a plan in place in case he is not resignable for whatever reason. Also it is possible that JP can regress in his developement. If any of these things happen all of us will extremely happy we have Edwards on the team.

The other fact is marv will get some guys in here to shore up our depth at all of our positions.

Comment

• CSFAN
                          • Mar 2007

It's amazing to me that people think we were "all set" at the backup QB position. Even at the starting QB position, we've got a guy who had one good half of a season. I have high hopes for JP, but we have absolutely no insurance at the most important position a team has.

It took the Bills brain trust - who have put together 2 outstanding drafts - about 20 seconds to decide this pick. That should tell everyone something.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
                            Edwards was a great pick regardless of other needs.

We need a rock solid #2 capable QB and picking Edwards this year gives him a year to work under the system, and time to get up to NFL speed and be that rock solid #2 guy. The QB positon takes talent and takes an investment of time. When you get a FA QB as your #2 guy you get another teams cast off or an aging vet with diminishing skills. With a drafted rookie QB we get quite a bit more possible upside.

Injuries happen, and it's more then likely JP will miss 1/2 dozen games over the next few years. Jp also has a contract due in 2008 which it would be foolish to not have a plan in place in case he is not resignable for whatever reason. Also it is possible that JP can regress in his developement. If any of these things happen all of us will extremely happy we have Edwards on the team.

The other fact is marv will get some guys in here to shore up our depth at all of our positions.
                            Mudflaps bigger problem seems to be he thinks Edwards sucks.. WHich if true he has a legit case..

What I dont like is Polian took Daymeion Hughes next, which to me all but ensures he's a good CB and we should've taken him.

But, I am not hating on Edwards.. I dont hate the pick.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Mudflap1
                              Next Question!
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                              Mudflaps bigger problem seems to be he thinks Edwards sucks.. WHich if true he has a legit case..

What I dont like is Polian took Daymeion Hughes next, which to me all but ensures he's a good CB and we should've taken him.
                              Boy, you just summed up everything perfectly right there. And remember, Dungy is the father of the Cover 2 defense, exactly what we are trying to emulate.

So if we took, say, Hughes instead of Edwards, I'd be feeling much better about this draft.

As an aside, as well as seeing Trent Edwards play many times (and coming away feeling, even months ago, that he completely stinks), I think Marshawn Lynch is a pretty darn good player. I just hope the ghetto bird factor doesn't come into play in Buffalo, ala Willis McHamSandwich style.

Hughes is a good player also, IMO.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X