PDA

View Full Version : Bills' Losman shouldn't fear Edwards ... yet

Don't Panic
05-01-2007, 06:00 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/05/bills-losman-edwards010507.html

Many pro scouts and general managers -- including the Bills' Marv Levy -- believe the 22-year-old's difficulties with the Cardinal had more to do with a poor supporting cast than his own average play, though. Coincidentally, the same was said about Jay Cutler when he was at Vanderbilt, and now he's an up-and-coming star passer for the <ACRONYM title="Denver Broncos News">Denver Broncos</ACRONYM> .
As for Losman, the fact of the matter is that he must deliver in his fourth pro season. He has tremendous young talent around him that's led by left-side offensive linemen Jason Peters and Derrick Dockery, standout wide receiver Lee Evans and a three-headed running attack (Marshawn Lynch, Anthony Thomas and Dwayne Wright) that has more promise than nearly any other in the NFL.
Edwards, however, seems like the ideal pro quarterback. He has the size (6-4, 231), smarts, arm strength, and, according to scouts, the accuracy to be outstanding. That means Losman, despite the fact that it's only May, already has more pressure on him for the '07 campaign than any other member of the Bills.

This is pretty much how I see it, too. It wasn't a vote of no confidence in any way by the Bills brass, but it was a bit of an insurance policy for the future. I like the Cutler comparison, although it is only a partial one. Edwards should be coming in pretty humble, so I can't see this affecting chemistry. It will give a lot of the Losman haters (as we have already seen) a candidate for his replacement however. I think JP will focus on the task at hand and further the development of our offense. The only thing Edwards shoudl provide to Losman is a little more motivation.

Night Train
05-01-2007, 06:14 AM
I'm not a Losman hater. I like JP and hope he continues to progress in 2007. If he does, then an extension in a year will probably happen.

JP needs to learn how to read the safety over the middle and when to throw the out pattern. The opposing Safties and CB's baited him many times last season and jumped in front for an INT. Also, he needs to add touch on the short passes and swing passes to the RB.
We know he can throw the deep slant and bomb as well as anyone in the NFL but he needs to work hard on other aspects of his game. Football smarts count in a big way. So does having the good all around game.

Edwards is more than Frank Reich. He's Losmans replacement in a year or 2 if he doesn't progress. His presence will make JP work even harder. Win/win for us.

Yasgur's Farm
05-01-2007, 06:32 AM
JP said at the end of last season... To paraphrase... We need to 1st focus on the things we don't do well. And once we have a handle on them we can look back at the things we do well.

If nothing else, I take him for a man of his word. Therefore I believe he will have resolved the shortcomings that Night Train has so accuratey stated.

Meanwhile, it'll be nice to develop a competant #2.

Mudflap1
05-01-2007, 09:40 AM
If a rookie Rob Johnson or Todd Collins were on the team, would Losman be worried about them? No. Same thing with Edwards.

Jon

Carlton Bailey
05-01-2007, 09:45 AM
I hated the pick at first, but I now like it for the reasons Night Train successfully stated.

Pretty much, if Losman is bad, then we have a potentially great QB waiting in the wings. If Losman's good, then we're all set but have a nice insurance policy in case of injury.

The Spaz
05-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Seems I'm not the only one thinking rationaly about this pick!:up::beers:

TacklingDummy
05-01-2007, 09:52 AM
I've liked the pick form the beginning.

JP is anything but a sure thing. If JP struggles the Bills are ahead of the curve and don't have to waste a draft pick on a QB next year. Hopefully Edwards will work out.

If JP plays well then the Bills have a QB to groom for trade bait or for if JP demands huge money to stay in Buffalo.

gr8slayer
05-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Losman will be fine. I think it's going to take a lot of sucking to make the coaching staff give up on him.

The Spaz
05-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Looking over some of my draft guides, the Pro Football Weekly magazine says in it's profile of Edwards "The way we see it" section "If deemed physically sound, Edwards has a chance to become an outstanding pro. With a good supporting cast and a Mike Martz-type offensive system, he could be flat out lethal. Injuries (latest being a foot) are, and very well should be, a true concern, and he could struggle to stay healthy in the pros".

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Kind of a dumb point, no quarterback should fear a rookie coming in, especially Losman.

don137
05-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Competition is healthy but the coaches re-assured everyone JP is the man. Losman has nothing to worry about as long as he continues to improve.

gr8slayer
05-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Kind of a dumb point, no quarterback should fear a rookie coming in, especially Losman.
Yeah, I think they took him because of his value in the third not to compete with Losman.

TacklingDummy
05-01-2007, 10:03 AM
I don't think Marv is a big JP fan.

Don't Panic
05-01-2007, 10:07 AM

I don't know... he has a chance at Leinart last year and passed, a chance to start Holcomb (although admittedly that was more Jauron's call) and passed and a chance at Quinn this year and passed. I think he likes him, he's just not 100% sold on him.

JPFBillsFan
05-01-2007, 10:09 AM
I like the pick, but what does it say for the schedule we face this up incoming season? A no win situation for JP?

We have to be real in our expectations of him. If he puts up similar numbers or better yet the team around him continues to fail or not be successful, people will call for his head.

Marv and Dick need to flat out say Trent is here as the #3. PERIOD he will not see the field this season and will compete for the #2 next season.

gr8slayer
05-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Based on what?

Carlton Bailey
05-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Too many Bills fans act like Losman is a sure thing. I like the guy...a lot sometimes...but admit it: He does have some Jake Plummer in him. Trent Edwards, from what I hear, seems more cerebral.

That said, I hope Losman has a great year, and I have a feeling he will.

gr8slayer
05-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Too many Bills fans act like Losman is a sure thing. I like the guy...a lot sometimes...but admit it: He does have some Jake Plummer in him. Trent Edwards, from what I hear, seems more cerebral.

That said, I hope Losman has a great year, and I have a feeling he will.
I understand where you are coming from but Edwards hasn't even participated in a team practice yet. He is no sure thing either no matter how cerebral he is.

Carlton Bailey
05-01-2007, 10:24 AM
I understand where you are coming from but Edwards hasn't even participated in a team practice yet. He is no sure thing either no matter how cerebral he is.

That is true. Which is why I said "from what I hear." Basically, we have tons of potential at QB, but the jury is out a bit. I think JP will silence the doubters though.

gr8slayer
05-01-2007, 10:27 AM
That is true. Which is why I said "from what I hear." Basically, we have tons of potential at QB, but the jury is out a bit. I think JP will silence the doubters though.
Just as long as he continues to progress. I would like to see him use his feet a bit more this year.

Mad Bomber
05-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Marv and Dick need to flat out say Trent is here as the #3. PERIOD he will not see the field this season and will compete for the #2 next season.

I think it's premature to make a statement like that. Marv brought him in as competition for the #2 spot. Nall doesn't have much game experience either.

The King
05-01-2007, 11:36 AM
I really like the pick. As many have said its a win win for us. Last year we got more than we expected out of JP and most of us were happy with that. But none of know what this year is going to bring. Clearly neither does Marv. I am looking foward to seeing JP do well as I dont want another wet behind the ears QB taking snaps and learning. But if JP doesn't do well we have a guy with the tools, to step up.

Thats a good thing, we are prepared.