PDA

View Full Version : Edwards +

RedEyE
05-01-2007, 08:11 AM
I've just finished watching highlights of Trent Edwards and I have to say that while he seems to manage a good game (at the college level) there really isn't anything that he does that impresses me.

In fact, he reminds me of a younger version of Kelly Holcomb, not having the long ball, but able to hit the short routes in an intelligent manner.

So, I don't really understand all this talk about Losman losing his job to this guy. It shouldn't even be a discussion IMO. Save the drama for your Mama. Losman is light years ahead of this kid and he has earned the right to not only start but even the idea that he might be outplayed by Edwards is a clear insult. As fans, we own the responsibilty of supporting our QB by not allowing the another grotesque interjection of QB controversy problems. If the fans discuss this in detail then the media will continue to feed the fire and eventually this "issue" finds its way into the Bills locker room.

Losman is the Bills future. So until he alone loses the season for us and walks out on the field ill prepared for several opponents in one season, leave this crap alone.

jamze132
05-01-2007, 08:14 AM
I've just finished watching highlights of Trent Edwards and I have to say that while he seems to manage a good game (at the college level) there really isn't anything that he does that impresses me.

In fact, he reminds me of a younger version of Kelly Holcomb, not having the long ball, but able to hit the short routes in an intelligent manner.

So, I don't really understand all this talk about Losman losing his job to this guy. It shouldn't even be a discussion IMO. Save the drama for your Mama. Losman is light years ahead of this kid and he has earned the right to not only start but even the idea that he might be outplayed by Edwards is a clear insult. As fans, we own the responsibilty of supporting our QB by not allowing the another grotesque interjection of QB controversy problems. If the fans discuss this in detail then the media will continue to feed the fire and eventually this "issue" finds its way into the Bills locker room.

Losman is the Bills future. So until he alone loses the season for us and walks out on the field ill prepared for several opponents in one season, leave this crap alone.
I agree.

justasportsfan
05-01-2007, 08:15 AM
we could've brought in Chris Leak and people would've turned that into a qb controversy.

Mr. Miyagi
05-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Well said! :bf1:

The Spaz
05-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Lol KElly Holcombe they guy had the arm of Kelly Holcombe when he was 10. He has a damn strong arm. I like Losman but you are kidding yourself if he is nothing more than a Holcombe type.

don137
05-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Some schmos always want a controversary and will never be happy...Losman has earned the right to be the starter...I am not saying I have seen enough of Edwards to form a solid opinion but the one thing that is for sure. He has not earned anything yet....

POZ
05-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Edwards has a damn good arm, he knows how to manage a game, great accuracy, and body size. He will be a great QB in this league.

RedEyE
05-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Lol KElly Holcombe they guy had the arm of Kelly Holcombe when he was 10. He has a damn strong arm. I like Losman but you are kidding yourself if he is nothing more than a Holcombe type.

Well enlighten me then. Please provide some undeniable proff of evidence that this guy is the next Joe Montana. I've been watching football for quite a while, and if this cat is A-1 pro material, 1st year out, then I need to retire my football obsession and take up macrome (sp?).

Why is it that people have to small things and blow them up out into big ******ed controversy? Small lives?

See, I've been a Bills fan since the first time I set eyes and ears on my Dad and Grandfather yelling at the two Joes in 1980. From that point forward I was glued to the TV each and every Sunday, loyally cheering for my Bills to some how bounce out of the gutter and find some well deserved glory. In the late 80's early 90's that all came to fruition. There seems to be quite a few of us that followed that similar path.

But now, I think that there is a new generation of Bills fans that grew up in an ongoing era of controversy. From Flutie vs Johnson, to Wade vs Wilson, to Losman vs Holcomb, tie in the Music City Miracle, seasons of enrage and speculation of Patriot special treatment, Wilsons head butting with the league..... etc, so forth and so on....

Technology today and instant access to information amplifies these issues 10 fold. I believe that Bills fans that began watching during this era of rebuild are just used to the drama an recoil and thrive on it today.

The Spaz
05-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Lol show me proof other then watching a 4 minute video...

The Spaz
05-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Here we go about you being a better bills fan give me a ****ing break. I said I like Losman but Edwards is a hell of a lot better than you seem to be giving him credit for because you just watched a 4 minute video of him. I'm sure Marv and Co. only saw this video and based everything off of it. Whatvever. I guess it's your way or the highway.

Coach Sal
05-01-2007, 09:00 AM
I watched several Stanford football games over the past few years because one of my former players was playing there.

I like Edwards a lot. But he's no where near ready to be an NFL starting QB, much less take the job of Losman. He may have a really good future in the league, but not until he gets better in a couple areas.

That being said, it was always tough to get a true read on how well his game translated to the NFL because he was always running for his life in that offense -- and they had almost zero skill players around him. They were bad. His injuries were a result of him taking so many sacks and extra hits.

I love his size and the way he stands in the pocket, and his mobility for a bigger guy (good escapability). He also seems like a guy who is very coachable and smart.

But (and stop me if you heard this before)....he holds on to the ball too long! Because of this, he made way more poor decisions than I'm comfortable with. 36/33 TD/INT ratio!

Is this (holding on to the ball and making bad decisions) partly due to the inability of his receivers to get open? Probably. But it's still an area he needs to improve in if he wants to be an NFL starting QB.

If he takes any regular season snaps for the Bils in 2007, it will be because of the inability or injury of JP Losman (and even Craig Nall), not due to his incredible leap up the depth chart.

TacklingDummy
05-01-2007, 09:56 AM
There will be no controversey if JP plays well. Controversies happen when the starter plays like crap.

So if a QB controversey does happen than you can blame JP.

P.S. I don't see anyone calling for JP to be benched or saying Edwards should be starter.

RedEyE
05-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Here we go about you being a better bills fan give me a ****ing break. I said I like Losman but Edwards is a hell of a lot better than you seem to be giving him credit for because you just watched a 4 minute video of him. I'm sure Marv and Co. only saw this video and based everything off of it. Whatvever. I guess it's your way or the highway.

Relax. I never said I was better then you and I apologize if it came off that way.

RedEyE
05-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Lol show me proof other then watching a 4 minute video...

Sure.

NFL stats:

Trent Edwards: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

mybills
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
P.S. I don't see anyone calling for JP to be benched or saying Edwards should be starter.
me either. :idunno: It was prolly SAB! :chuckle:

Jeff1220
05-01-2007, 10:42 AM
From what little I've seen of Edwards, his style of play reminds me a little of Big Ben.

camelcowboy
05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Edwards has a damn good arm, he knows how to manage a game, great accuracy, and body size. He will be a great QB in this league. He's is a wasted pick, we passed on one of the better corners in this draft for him as well. He maybe a NFL quarterback in 3-4 years but, to be honest we needed a corner this year.

Spiderweb
05-01-2007, 02:04 PM
I watched several Stanford football games over the past few years because one of my former players was playing there.

I like Edwards a lot. But he's no where near ready to be an NFL starting QB, much less take the job of Losman. He may have a really good future in the league, but not until he gets better in a couple areas.

That being said, it was always tough to get a true read on how well his game translated to the NFL because he was always running for his life in that offense -- and they had almost zero skill players around him. They were bad. His injuries were a result of him taking so many sacks and extra hits.

I love his size and the way he stands in the pocket, and his mobility for a bigger guy (good escapability). He also seems like a guy who is very coachable and smart.

But (and stop me if you heard this before)....he holds on to the ball too long! Because of this, he made way more poor decisions than I'm comfortable with. 36/33 TD/INT ratio!

Is this (holding on to the ball and making bad decisions) partly due to the inability of his receivers to get open? Probably. But it's still an area he needs to improve in if he wants to be an NFL starting QB.

If he takes any regular season snaps for the Bils in 2007, it will be because of the inability or injury of JP Losman (and even Craig Nall), not due to his incredible leap up the depth chart.

Would it help calm your INT fears if the reported INTS were aided by 20 balls that actually hit his receivers in the hands but they failed to catch them?

The Spaz
05-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Would it help calm your INT fears if the reported INTS were aided by 20 balls that actually hit his receivers in the hands but they failed to catch them?

In the yahoo highlight video he threw an apparent TD pass right to the guy in the endzone and he dropped it.

Mudflap1
05-01-2007, 02:09 PM
There will be no QB controversy because Trent Edwards = Travis Brown...

Jon

Coach Sal
05-02-2007, 09:50 PM

Yes, which backs up what I said about not having any good skill players around him.

I agree the numbers are misleading. But even with that, I personally thought his decision making was not very good at times. Granted, if my WR's are dropping a lot of my passes, I'd think twice about throwing to them, as well. And that would lead to a bad pass somewhere else, which would cause a perception of "poor decision making."

Marvelous
05-03-2007, 02:54 AM
It's still exciting to get a backup QB who we draft kinda high..If the injury bug comes to town for a few weeks and this kid breaks out then we could get ourselves into a sweet situation like Jacksonville was with Rob Johnson..They found some sucker to give up a 1st for him, maybe we can do the same.....
-Bottom line is it's exciting. Interesting to see how JP handles it//get's along with the kid etc.. Maybe they become buds..