PDA

View Full Version : Is the Edwards pick a sign of Ralph being cheap?

OpIv37
05-01-2007, 10:15 AM
If JP does well in 07 he could be expensive to re-sign..... maybe the Edwards pick is insurance against a big contract as well as on-the-field insurance if JP doesn't come through.

THATHURMANATOR
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Oh enough of this crap already... :puke:

gr8slayer
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Oh Op. When will the madness with you end?

OpIv37
05-01-2007, 10:18 AM
hey, just throwing the idea out there. I read the thread about Edwards not being a threat to Losman yet- with "cash to crap" it's going to be hard to give anyone good the contract they deserve.

OpIv37
05-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Oh Op. When will the madness with you end?

this pick makes absolute 0 sense to me- I'm trying to find an explanation.

gr8slayer
05-01-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't know how many times I have to say this. RALPH SPENT MORE THAN ANYONE IN FA THIS YEAR! The son of a ***** broke the bank on the weakest spot on our whole team (OL.)

gr8slayer
05-01-2007, 10:20 AM
It's a Matt Shaub type thing. Good insurance if Losman gets hurt, if Losman does not then you ship him off in a year or two and have some team overpay like the Texans did for Shaub.

THATHURMANATOR
05-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Levy said himself that Edwards was so high on their draft board they couldn't pass it up. He was on WGR and they questioned why he would do this. Marv stated that he understands that they had other needs but they made the choice to go with BPA as it was such a Huge discrepancy.

justasportsfan
05-01-2007, 10:27 AM

Our back up situation isn't settled it's that simple.

You're reading too much into it. :rolleyes:

Mr. Miyagi
05-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Matt Schaub today = Edwards in 2 years. :$:

patmoran2006
05-01-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't know how many times I have to say this. RALPH SPENT MORE THAN ANYONE IN FA THIS YEAR! The son of a ***** broke the bank on the weakest spot on our whole team (OL.)
Cash to cap, yes he spent the most. You're counting signing bonuses and guarenteed money as money thats all spent THIS YEAR.

The Answer
05-01-2007, 11:34 AM
If JP does well in 07 he could be expensive to re-sign..... maybe the Edwards pick is insurance against a big contract as well as on-the-field insurance if JP doesn't come through.

Pretty much - That's why next year we will draft a receiver in the 1st round to replace Evans as well.

~The Answer

patmoran2006
05-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Pretty much - That's why next year we will draft a receiver in the 1st round to replace Evans as well.

~The Answer
If they draft to replace Evans.. they may want to draft about 45,000 or so fans to fill up the stadium on Sundays.

Devin
05-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Schaub signed for 48 mil and hasnt done crap in the NFL yet.

JP tosses for 3000-3500 yards in 07 what do you think his rate will be.

Philagape
05-01-2007, 11:51 AM
RALPH SPENT MORE THAN ANYONE IN FA THIS YEAR!

Not as much as he could have

Saratoga Slim
05-01-2007, 11:51 AM
It's a Matt Shaub type thing. Good insurance if Losman gets hurt, if Losman does not then you ship him off in a year or two and have some team overpay like the Texans did for Shaub.

it does provide the front office with negotiating leverage to resign Losman. I.e. if we have another QB waiting in the wings, JP doesn't have us over a barrel.

that said, I don't think the Edwards pick was directly related to the cost of resigning JP. I think you're exactly right in the Schaub comparison. We have our starting QB, but like the Falcons with Vick, JP hasn't answered all the questions yet. While he has shown enough to solidify the starting role, he nonetheless still has to perform well this year to keep it for the long term.

I think they picked Edwards b/c a) they did want to find someone to compete with Nall so we have a legitimate backup in case of JP injury, b) they want to have another option in the wings in case JP doesn't continue his strong performances of late last season, and c) Trent Edwards was hands down the best talent on the board and while they probably weren't looking for a QB on the first day, they were looking for one at some point, and they just couldn't turn him down.

The Answer
05-01-2007, 11:56 AM
If they draft to replace Evans.. they may want to draft about 45,000 or so fans to fill up the stadium on Sundays.

This is why The Answer hopes that new ownership is in place by then - Evans has a huge year in 2007 (as The Answer suspects he will) it's either extension time or forget about it.

~The Answer

jmb1099
05-01-2007, 12:45 PM
I know right? We should start a trend and be the only team in the league that doesn't have a decent back up plan at qb. Why prpare for the future its so over rated anyway.

ddaryl
05-01-2007, 12:55 PM

th epick makes complete sense.

JP could regress, he could be injured, he could hold out and insist he be the highest paid QB in the league.

or cash to cap was put inot place to help us ensure we have money to sign our future, young core, FA's.

I agree with most everyone... these types of feelings are becoming increasingly rediculous.

PromoTheRobot
05-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Then let me explain it to you, and I'll try to use words with less than three sylables...

He's there to push JP and to be a quality back-up. Players get hurt in the NFL. Do you not want a quality back-up? Also, this is JP's contract year so does it hurt to have a QB on your roster that could step in if things don't work out?

PTR

Statman
05-01-2007, 01:33 PM
LOL Yeah, on Langston Walker in part.

I GUARANTEE you that if the Dolphins would have signed Walker to what we did you'd be pissin' your pants until next January with laughter.

LOL

ptd86
05-01-2007, 01:38 PM
I think they'll resign JP. Ralph and co. do a pretty good job in resigning young talent. Peters, Mcgee and Schobel. The only guy he would not resign was Nate and he got the richest deal in the history of the NFL. I don't know where everyone is getting this Ralph is too cheap to resign players. He just doesn't resign old guys or to the richest in history contracts. Which I am fine by.

Stewie
05-01-2007, 01:59 PM
I have no doubt that Ralph would have made Clements the richest defensive player in history, if Clements came close to deserving it.

3 picks a year? Lost football games because of selfish play? No thanks.

SABURZFAN
05-01-2007, 04:57 PM

the edwards pick is like a game of chess where you think 2-3 moves ahead.if losman does well,he gets the extension and edwards will take on a f.reich type role for this team.if losman regresses,it's easier for marv to let him walk and go with his guy.