• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Upon Further Review: Bills Got Ripped Off

A mere 24 hours ago, I was delighted with the draft effort put forth by Marv Levy and the Buffalo Bills. In some regards, those views won’t change. The Bills bettered their backfield in a very big way. Marshawn Lynch has top ten running back written all over him in this league. While you can’t assume anybody coming out of college is the next Marshall Faulk, he positively has the ability to ignite fair comparisons. Dwayne Wright in round four was a steal. At worst he’ll be a bruising backup that comes in and punishes tired defenders. Potentially, the Bills could have the best running back tandem in the NFL within the next few years and for many to come. MORE....

----------------------------------
    Gonna go out on a limb and say this won't be well received here. Im also going to go out on FAR less of a limb and suggest 95% of everyone will not pay any attention the facts, numbers or subject matter. and it will become an endless assault of PERSONAL stabs per the norm..... Oh well, I speak my mind when I blog, whether it's appreciated it or not.. For the other unbiased readers who like to talk about topics, enjoy (objectively I hope)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Upon Further Review: Bills Got Ripped Off

I said the same thing on Satruday night.

But......

When you look at what other teams gave up to move up that draft value chart most teams moving up got ripped off. To me it is a minor point in the trade. It was a costly year to move up.

One other point, that is unknown, is if there was a bidding war to move up.

I agree it is a valid criticism. But it is a small one and to say he was outsmarted by Millen is unfair. Millen was dealing from a position of power (with the Bills having been turned down for other attempts). Sometimes it costs more to move up, as the chart itself says.

So in conclusion: Did they give up more than I would have liked? Yes. Is it a big deal and worthy of heavy criticism?

No.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Stewie
      Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
      • Aug 2002

Not liking a good player at a need position.. because of a made up point value chart... what a joke.
      Originally posted by Topdog
      Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
      Originally posted by mercyrule
      I love Weiner.
      also cheese

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

Oh shutup already. You just look for ways to be negative.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

According to my point value chart, the 3rd round pick was worth 3 ice cream sundaes. Considering Matt Millen's love of ice cream, he could not turn down the offer. Personally, I think he should have held out for more whipped cream.

Seriously, you are kidding, right?

Comment

• Brandon
            • Apr 2004

Sigh...

The Bills began attempting to trade up to take Posluszny with the 28th pick. Would you feel better if the Bills had given up picks 43 and 74 for pick 28 instead? If I had to guess, the Bills offered NE the same picks, as well as to the teams that followed. The infallible draft value chart probably would've given the green light on that trade.

They gave up the same picks they very likely offered starting with NE at 28 and got the same player. In the end, IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE!

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

I dont have a problem with trading up for POS.

I have a problem that we gave up 43 and 74 to move up NINE f'n spots.. We have no CB and no WR from this draft, in large because we moved up for POS, so he better be worth it or it was a terrible trade, period..

I find it VERY HARD to believe that a more experienced GM couldn't have gotten the deal done for 92 instead of 74, or as I suggested got Detroits 4th rounder (105) to make the trade more even..especially given the fact how desperate detroit was for more picks and able bodies.. It is a TOTALLY lopsided trade

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by NE39
                According to my point value chart, the 3rd round pick was worth 3 ice cream sundaes. Considering Matt Millen's love of ice cream, he could not turn down the offer. Personally, I think he should have held out for more whipped cream.

Seriously, you are kidding, right?
                Reddi-wip or cool whip?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

I want us to line up that big bad Draft Value Chart at MLB. I bet that stud can really play.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Brandon
                    Sigh...

The Bills began attempting to trade up to take Posluszny with the 28th pick. Would you feel better if the Bills had given up picks 43 and 74 for pick 28 instead? If I had to guess, the Bills offered NE the same picks, as well as to the teams that followed. The infallible draft value chart probably would've given the green light on that trade.

They gave up the same picks they very likely offered starting with NE at 28 and got the same player. In the end, IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE!

It makes all the difference in the world, because the teams in this league that get the players they covet while given up less than unpolished GMS do, are the teams that are going to be sitting at the top of the standings year after year.

Comment

• Stewie
                      Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                      • Aug 2002

so it was a terrible trade because of some arbitrary point value system and because we could have taken some imaginary players that you belive would help the bills rather than the real player the bills general manager wanted.

right.
                      Originally posted by Topdog
                      Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                      I love Weiner.
                      also cheese

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                        I want us to line up that big bad Draft Value Chart at MLB. I bet that stud can really play.
                        I'd have a lot less of an issue with what we gave up for the trade, had we made some sort of EFFORT to improve a lousy and severly WEAK (literally) defense in the months leading up to the draft.

We lost three starters (nate, fletch, spikes) and resigned a guy who barely deserves to be a starter (kelsay) leaving IMO four holes to address via FA and draft.

We signed NONE and drafted ONE.

I hope POS is the next Urlacher.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by paulB
                          so it was a terrible trade because of some arbitrary point value system and because we could have taken some imaginary players that you belive would help the bills rather than the real player the bills general manager wanted.

right.
                          Are you saying DAvid Harris and Johnathan WAde are imaginary players? Because that's who we could have right now if we didnt overpay to move up for POs, and thats IF POS would even be off the board at #43.

I like Lynch, I love Wright, I'm weird about Edwards.

I'd have loved Pos to fall to us or gotten a more fair deal to get him, but it was a stupid trade.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006

I have a problem that we gave up 43 and 74 to move up NINE f'n spots.. We have no CB and no WR from this draft, in large because we moved up for POS, so he better be worth it or it was a terrible trade, period..

I find it VERY HARD to believe that a more experienced GM couldn't have gotten the deal done for 92 instead of 74, or as I suggested got Detroits 4th rounder (105) to make the trade more even..especially given the fact how desperate detroit was for more picks and able bodies.. It is a TOTALLY lopsided trade
                            Geez, calm down. You are way over-reacting.

It is not TOTALLY lopsided.

Did you even read what I wrote? You want to debate based on facts and opinions. Like Paul said, the chart is (somewhat) arbitrary. Like I said, moving up was costly this year.

As for the experienced GM part, since none of fall into that category, who knows what could have been done?

Saying it is lopsided because of a missing 4th round pick is silly and is looking for a complaint.
                            Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Brandon
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006

That's because you're placing far too much emphasis on the imaginary value assigned to a draft pick and not enough on the player.

I'm about 99% sure that, in his mind, Marv Levy did not trade the 43rd and 74th pick for the 34th pick. He traded those two picks not for another pick, but for Paul Posluszny. That was the value decision; *Paul Posluszny* was worth picks 43 and 74 to Marv Levy and the Bills, NOT the 'value' of the 34th pick.

Neither your approach nor his are necessarily wrong. Its just clear that Marv's philosophy is to emphasize the value of the player more than the pick.

As another way of stating this, if Marv viewed Posluszny as the 13th or 14th rated player on his board (which, from the rumors and his comments, is entirely possible), he was more than justified giving picks 43 and 74 for him. How many 'points' is the 13th or 14th pick worth on the draft value chart? That's how this trade should actually be evaluated.

Comment

Working...
                              X