PDA

View Full Version : Ruff hints at promoting Connolly to Briere’s line

Mitchy moo
05-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Ruff hints at promoting Connolly to Briere’s line
By Tim Graham NEWS SPORTS REPORTER
Updated: 05/01/07 6:48 AM

SAVE EMAIL PRINT POPULAR + Larger Font + Smaller Font NEW YORK — Prior to Game One of their secondround series, Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff insisted he would roll four lines against the New York Rangers. He didn’t.

A day before Game Three, Ruff announced he might bench right winger Maxim Afinogenov. He didn’t.

Ruff on Monday afternoon tossed out another potentially significant strategic development for tonight’s Game Four in Madison Square Garden. He was asked if it merely was another bit of playoff subterfuge.

“This is a part where you can believe me,” Ruff said.

Buffalo’s most constant forward line might be broken up. Ruff has been disappointed in the limited offensive chances generated by center Daniel Briere and wingers Jochen Hecht and Jason Pominville.

Ruff suggested a promotion for Tim Connolly from the fourth line, but didn’t specifically say he would skate with Briere.

“I think Tim Connolly has come a long ways and played a good number of minutes,” Ruff said. “There are some thoughts to bumping Tim up a little bit.”

Connolly, who skated 26:19 in Sunday’s double-overtime loss in Game Three, could center a line with Briere on the left wing. Briere mans the left wing on the first power-play unit and scored many of his 32 goals as a left winger for the Phoenix Coyotes in 2001-02.

Although Briere has a point in seven of Buffalo’s eight playoff games, both of his goals and two of his five assists were on power plays. Hecht has only one assist in the postseason, while Pominville has three goals and one assist, all at even strength.

http://www.buffalonews.com/111/story/65807.html (http://www.buffalonews.com/111/story/65807.html)

camelcowboy
05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Part of me is tempted to see briere with Maxim

Mitchy moo
05-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Part of me is tempted to see briere with Maxim

Max won't pass, that's the problem there.

THATHURMANATOR
05-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Get Connolly up there and replace Hecht.

Michael82
05-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Either way, I love the idea of moving things around. Hecht hasn't done **** and is part of the reason why Briere has hardly any goals in the postseason.