X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ptd86
    • Dec 2006

John Beck

I don't understand why everyone is so high on this guy. I know a lot of people have ripped the pick of Ted Ginn Jr., but howcome Beck hasn't got more criticism. He will be 26 years old when the season starts. Therefore he will be as old as J.P. with zero pro-experience. Howcome all the analysts are high on him, yet to draft Chris Weinke was a joke to even think about. Am I the only one to think that Beck was not a solid pick, but a terrible one?
  • POZ
    Rookie Of The Year
    • Apr 2007

Re: John Beck

****ty pick!

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Over in Finheaven one guy said John Beck = Roger Staubach

Comment

• FinFaninBuffalo
        Registered Fish
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by ptd86
        I don't understand why everyone is so high on this guy. I know a lot of people have ripped the pick of Ted Ginn Jr., but howcome Beck hasn't got more criticism. He will be 26 years old when the season starts. Therefore he will be as old as J.P. with zero pro-experience. Howcome all the analysts are high on him, yet to draft Chris Weinke was a joke to even think about. Am I the only one to think that Beck was not a solid pick, but a terrible one?
        Are you concerned about Losman's age? He's still learning to play QB in the NFL. If Beck becomes a probowl QB before Losman does, will it matter that he entered the league after Losman?

Comment

• Mudflap1
          Next Question!
          • Nov 2004

Of course Beck is 26, he's a Mormon! Man's gotta serve...

That all being said, I think he's a better pick for Miami than Edwards was for us. Miami's not going anywhere and needs a QB. Maybe he'll step up, maybe not. He'll at least be a pet project for Cam Cameron.

Edwards in the 4th round or later would have been fine for us, but we took him too high. And he sucks. But at least if we took him in the 5th or something and he sucks, that's almost to be expected. Hello Travis Brown!

Jon

Comment

• mikemac2001
            is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mudflap1

That all being said, I think he's a better pick for Miami than Edwards was for us. Miami's not going anywhere and needs a QB. Maybe he'll step up, maybe not. He'll at least be a pet project for Cam Cameron.

Edwards in the 4th round or later would have been fine for us, but we took him too high. And he sucks. But at least if we took him in the 5th or something and he sucks, that's almost to be expected. Hello Travis Brown!

Jon

Stanford sucked, Edwards might to but if your team sucks its hard to produce Monster numbers AKA USC every year

MUCK
            FIAMI

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

Jon
              You actually compare Edwards to Brown? Tell me how they are even remotely comparable? Wasn't Brown an UDFA?

Comment

• The Answer
                The Plagiarist
                • Mar 2007

Jon
                Your kidding right?

Edwards was ranked as the 3 best QB in the draft and was a 1st round pick on a lot of draft boards. He played well with garbage around him and is going to create a huge QB controversy in Buffalo as early as this summer.

~The Answer

Comment

• FinFaninBuffalo
                  Registered Fish
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by The Spaz
                  You actually compare Edwards to Brown? Tell me how they are even remotely comparable? Wasn't Brown an UDFA?
                  Edwards is a very interesting prospect. IMO, he would have been an extremely risky pick for the Fins given his injury history and lack of production in college. I would not have been comfortable betting the next few years on a player that won only 10 games in college. I know that Stanford was a bad team, but Edwards did not elevate that team at all. He may turn into a great pro and the Bills will be rewarded with a starting QB or trade compensation (a la Matt Schaub).

Comment

• Mudflap1
                    Next Question!
                    • Nov 2004

How many times have you guys seen Trent Edwards play? The guy was on a pretty bad team, but had a very good offensive-minded coach in Walt Hackett, and put up miserable numbers. At least Jay Cutler could steal a game or two with his arm (because his team sucked overall) in college. You guys are just going off what a few clowns said in draft guides. Who cares? Those guides are for people that don't watch football or don't understand football and can't make up their mind on their own about a player. The guy is not impressive. Again, Trent Edwards will equal Travis Brown in terms of NFL production.

But let's anoint the guy the greatest thing since sliced bread because Marv Levy (whoops! I mean John Guy and Tom Modrak - the guys that REALLY do the work) picked him).

Jon

Comment

• FinFaninBuffalo
                      Registered Fish
                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by The Answer
                      Your kidding right?

Edwards was ranked as the 3 best QB in the draft and was a 1st round pick on a lot of draft boards.
                      You state this as if there is only one univeral QB ranking. Not only is that not true, you can't even be sure where the Bills had him ranked. At least 3 teams did not have him ranked as the #3 QB (Philly, Miami, Detroit). Cleveland was much higher on Quinn than Edwards. That's all anyone can say for sure.

There were a number of QB needy teams that passed on Edwards 3 or 4 times. None of this means that he won't be a good pro, but your statement is a bit over the top.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                        Next Question!
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by The Answer
                        Your kidding right?

Edwards was ranked as the 3 best QB in the draft and was a 1st round pick on a lot of draft boards. He played well with garbage around him and is going to create a huge QB controversy in Buffalo as early as this summer.

~The Answer
                        Hey hot shot, where were all of your 10,000 trades you predicted during the draft of which all of your sources said they were going to happen, but you had no links and none of them happened? You have about as much credibility as the Chimp from the old Red Rose Tea commercials...

Jon

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

How many times have you guys seen Trent Edwards play? The guy was on a pretty bad team, but had a very good offensive-minded coach in Walt Hackett, and put up miserable numbers. At least Jay Cutler could steal a game or two with his arm (because his team sucked overall) in college. You guys are just going off what a few clowns said in draft guides. Who cares? Those guides are for people that don't watch football or don't understand football and can't make up their mind on their own about a player. The guy is not impressive. Again, Trent Edwards will equal Travis Brown in terms of NFL production.

But let's anoint the guy the greatest thing since sliced bread because Marv Levy (whoops! I mean John Guy and Tom Modrak - the guys that REALLY do the work) picked him).

Jon
                          So what are you basing your opinions off of?

Comment

• ptd86
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by FinFaninBuffalo
                            Are you concerned about Losman's age? He's still learning to play QB in the NFL. If Beck becomes a probowl QB before Losman does, will it matter that he entered the league after Losman?

No I am not concerned with Losman's age because he has had years to get experience and has got better every year. Beck has no experience and by the time he has enough he'll be 30 years old. Then its time to draft a nother qb to follow beck. Just think in the 2nd round you should draft someone who will be ready to really do well in the league before hes 30.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                              Next Question!
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by The Spaz
                              So what are you basing your opinions off of?
                              Seeing him play about 15-20 times (full games) over the past 4 years. Watching Pac-10 football religiously. Having a brain and being able to make a decision on my own instead of letting Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, or Marv Levy tell me what to think about a player. Check his stats out if you don't believe me. The guy was an average college QB at best on a terrible team.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X