PDA

View Full Version : Why all the hate for Edwards already?

jpdex12
05-01-2007, 02:58 PM
What's up with some of the negative posts on this guy? I know most of us were expecting Hughes as he was there in the third round and the COlts grabbed him but I don't think that the Edwards move was that bad. Some of us are already bashing him and we hardly know anything about him. What's up with that?

Joe Fo Sho
05-01-2007, 03:04 PM
I'll admit I was surprised when i heard his name called with our pick, but after thinking about it, i think it was a good decision. I mean, how many teams have had their starting quarterback play 100% of the snaps. I could be wrong but i think the only 2 are JP and Peyton. I don't know that JP is going to be that durable again this year. I also don't see us getting a cornerback who'll be able to start right away with that pick.

Let's just say i'm more comfortable with -

JP, Trent, Craig
McGee, Ashton, Kiwi, and Jabari

Than -

JP, Craig, ?
McGee, Ashton, Kiwi, Jabari, and ? Maybe Hughes ?

OpIv37
05-01-2007, 03:09 PM
It's got nothing to do with Edwards.

It's called "opportunity cost". We need depth all over the field and potential starters at least at CB and WR. Could we find them in the third round? Maybe, maybe not- but on a team with this many holes, you have to at least try.

Instead, we grab a player who WILL NOT help this team in 07. Even if he sees the field, which is unlikely to start with, he will play like a rookie QB. Nall can do that.

This was a waste of a pick.

Mudflap1
05-01-2007, 03:10 PM
But Op, Edwards might turn out to be a great QB that we can trade for a 2nd round pick 25 years from now. What's the opportunity cost of that? What's the effing probability of that?

Jon

HHURRICANE
05-01-2007, 03:11 PM

It's called "opportunity cost". We need depth all over the field and potential starters at least at CB and WR. Could

That sums it up!!

THATHURMANATOR
05-01-2007, 03:13 PM
No hate from me. I was initially upset because it didn't make sense to me but I am over it.

Mr. Miyagi
05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Like I said, some of you people have to find something to ***** about no matter what. If your mom won the lottery you guys would call her a dumb ***** for not hitting the REALLY big jackpot a week earlier.

Poo poo for your neggie nancies. :down:

mikemac2001
05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
I trust marv

OpIv37
05-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Like I said, some of you people have to find something to ***** about no matter what. If your mom won the lottery you guys would call her a dumb ***** for not hitting the REALLY big jackpot a week earlier.

Poo poo for your neggie nancies. :down:

so you're happy with our CB situation? What if McGee gets injured and Kiwaukee Thomas and Youboty have to start, and Greer plays nickel? (Actually I don't mind Greer at nickel but that starting tandem sucks) Or what if Youboty does awful in pre-season? We've never seen this guy play, so who knows how he'll do?

And you're happy with our LB situation? If one of our starters (presumably Poz, Crowell, Ellison) get injured, then someone like Wire, Digiorgio or Haggan will be starting. And Crowell's gotten injured the last two seasons- with 3 LB's on the field playing a high-contact position, it's extremely likely that there will be an injury at some point during the season.

And what about WR? Reed and Price have yet to prove they can consistently take pressure off Evans, and both signed heavily backloaded contracts that make them expensive to keep in '08. Are you satisfied with that?

but yeah, you're right. It's perfectly acceptable to pick a backup QB that won't be any better than the backup QB we already have with all those holes. We're just finding things to ***** about. Because there's nothing more fun than pointing out why our team sucks :rolleyes:

mikemac2001
05-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Problem is now "the answer" will say Edwards is best QB and the reason we lose games is bc he isnt in there....i hate that it might create a qb controversy in a yr

Meathead
05-01-2007, 03:32 PM
i plan to hate him until jp has a bad game then ill love him

Mr. Miyagi
05-01-2007, 03:35 PM
so you're happy with our CB situation? What if McGee gets injured and Kiwaukee Thomas and Youboty have to start, and Greer plays nickel? (Actually I don't mind Greer at nickel but that starting tandem sucks) Or what if Youboty does awful in pre-season? We've never seen this guy play, so who knows how he'll do?

And you're happy with our LB situation? If one of our starters (presumably Poz, Crowell, Ellison) get injured, then someone like Wire, Digiorgio or Haggan will be starting. And Crowell's gotten injured the last two seasons- with 3 LB's on the field playing a high-contact position, it's extremely likely that there will be an injury at some point during the season.

And what about WR? Reed and Price have yet to prove they can consistently take pressure off Evans, and both signed heavily backloaded contracts that make them expensive to keep in '08. Are you satisfied with that?

but yeah, you're right. It's perfectly acceptable to pick a backup QB that won't be any better than the backup QB we already have with all those holes. We're just finding things to ***** about. Because there's nothing more fun than pointing out why our team sucks :rolleyes:
In this day and age, every team has holes Op. One draft isn't going to patch all the holes, nor will 2 drafts. You could be any team's fan and you could find something to ***** about, so you'll never be happy. So sad to spend your life being upset all the time.

OpIv37
05-01-2007, 03:43 PM
In this day and age, every team has holes Op. One draft isn't going to patch all the holes, nor will 2 drafts. You could be any team's fan and you could find something to ***** about, so you'll never be happy. So sad to spend your life being upset all the time.

I'm a fan of the team so I'll be upset til they win. Picking a backup QB that's no better than the backup QB we have will not help us win.

And I don't know why you people think it's appropriate or accurate to extrapolate a disgruntled fan's feelings about a struggling football team to "being upset all the time".

THATHURMANATOR
05-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Op is a HATER!

OpIv37
05-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Op is a HATER!

damn straight- I hate losing.

The Answer
05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
What's up with some of the negative posts on this guy? I know most of us were expecting Hughes as he was there in the third round and the COlts grabbed him but I don't think that the Edwards move was that bad. Some of us are already bashing him and we hardly know anything about him. What's up with that?

People are upset over this move for a number of reasons:

1) We only had one 3rd round pick after foolishly trading the other for POZ
2) There has been QB controvery every season since JP was drafted and now it will most certainly rear it's ugly head again unless he looks like Joe Montana this preseason - especially if Edwards looks good and Losman don't.
3) There were other pressing needs and this was a Donahoesque move taking the 'best player available'

In hindsight The Answer was dissappointed at first - but now that it's set in The Answer loves this move more and more and is already on boad the Edwards bandwagon. :bandwagon

~The Answer

patmoran2006
05-01-2007, 04:01 PM
What happens if Losman breaks his leg in week four?

Are we supposed to just forfeit the rest of the season? Its valuable to have a good backup in this league. Having said that, I dont know if Edwards is it.

Mr. Miyagi
05-01-2007, 04:01 PM
damn straight- I hate losing.
And minivan moms, and homers, and Panera wireless squaters, and.....

SABURZFAN
05-01-2007, 05:02 PM
What happens if Losman breaks his leg in week four?

sounds like wishful thinking. :shakeno:

patmoran2006
05-01-2007, 05:18 PM
I think its more a case of shock we took a QB so early than people actually hating on Edwards........Other than Mudflap-- who is pretty convinced he's dookie.

I actually find it ironic that I'm the one who bashes almost everything the Bills do, yet I'm at least semi-defending Edwards right now.

Mad Bomber
05-01-2007, 06:04 PM
It's called "opportunity cost". We need depth all over the field and potential starters at least at CB and WR. Could we find them in the third round? Maybe, maybe not- but on a team with this many holes, you have to at least try.

There already had been 16 receivers taken when the Bills made their third-round pick. The top nine cornerbacks were off the board. California cornerback Daymeion Hughes may have been the next best choice for the Bills. He went 95th to the Colts.

OpIv37
05-01-2007, 06:06 PM
There already had been 16 receivers taken when the Bills made their third-round pick. The top nine cornerbacks were off the board. California cornerback Daymeion Hughes may have been the next best choice for the Bills. He went 95th to the Colts.

I would have been happier with that pick.

jdbillsfan
05-01-2007, 06:31 PM
I didn't like it at first, but I think it could turn out to be a good move. Hughes lasted until late in the 3rd round which probably means that he isn't going to solve our DB problems this year.

Our backup QB situation was not good, so why not address that with the BPA? The Bills still have holes, but they would of if they drafted Hughes, Alexander, Siler, etc.

Edwards hopefully fills the backup QB position. Edwards could end up filling much more of an important role than a late 3rd round corner.

Mudflap1
05-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I think its more a case of shock we took a QB so early than people actually hating on Edwards........Other than Mudflap-- who is pretty convinced he's dookie.

I actually find it ironic that I'm the one who bashes almost everything the Bills do, yet I'm at least semi-defending Edwards right now.

This will be my last post about Trent Edwards for awhile.

The guy's a nice boy. Average at best college quarterback. If we took him 5th round or later (hell, even the 4th), I'd shut up about it and say "fine, we got ourselves a cannon-fodder Travis Brown/Todd Collins-type to fill out the roster". But we took him early. I don't give a crap if 16,000 draft experts say he was "highly thought of". Look at his production (or lack thereof) individually and as a team. Then, go watch a few Stanford games from the last few years. It won't inspire confidence.

That being said, maybe our combined 17,895,403 years of experience in the front office/ownership will prove me wrong. On a positive note, he does fit the "Marv/nice boy" image that is sought after these days at OBD.

My fear is that Kelly Holcomb will someday be revered by us as being like Johnny Unitas compared to this guy. Time will tell if he's a good quarterback. Just don't get your hopes up.

Jon

W1DER1GHT
05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
I think that this situation has something else to it that is deep rooted for all Bills fans. Once again there is a chance of history repeating itself, and it's enough to make any Bills fan want to puke. Nobody is in the mood for the "QB Battle Game" again. Flutie v Johnson, and Bledsoe v Losman was enough for me. I don't feel like dealing with it again, but we all know that if Trent plays well in the Pre-Season, and J.P. looks even a little bit off, there are going to be people that are calling for the benching of Losman, which is insane. Do I think it was a smart pick, yes, I actually do, but the path it takes us may change my mind in the future.

jpdex12
05-01-2007, 08:47 PM
I think that this situation has something else to it that is deep rooted for all Bills fans. Once again there is a chance of history repeating itself, and it's enough to make any Bills fan want to puke. Nobody is in the mood for the "QB Battle Game" again. Flutie v Johnson, and Bledsoe v Losman was enough for me. I don't feel like dealing with it again, but we all know that if Trent plays well in the Pre-Season, and J.P. looks even a little bit off, there are going to be people that are calling for the benching of Losman, which is insane. Do I think it was a smart pick, yes, I actually do, but the path it takes us may change my mind in the future.

It may happen when JP shakes off some rust and Edwards is getting mop up time against UDFA's from other teams with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter. That's when all of the "EDUCATED" Bill's fans will cry QB controversy. (roll eyes)

jpdex12
05-01-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm a fan of the team so I'll be upset til they win. Picking a backup QB that's no better than the backup QB we have will not help us win.

And I don't know why you people think it's appropriate or accurate to extrapolate a disgruntled fan's feelings about a struggling football team to "being upset all the time".

You can always go root for a different team?? One that is winning (maybe the Patsies) so you don't have to sound like a whine ass during every post? Just a thought.

Dozerdog
05-01-2007, 08:49 PM

Instead, we grab a player who WILL NOT help this team in 07. Even if he sees the field, which is unlikely to start with, he will play like a rookie QB. Nall can do that.

This was a waste of a pick.What "Starter" did we pass on with the 92nd pick?

jpdex12
05-01-2007, 08:56 PM
What "Starter" did we pass on with the 92nd pick?

:clap::roflmao:

OpIv37
05-01-2007, 10:29 PM
You can always go root for a different team?? One that is winning (maybe the Patsies) so you don't have to sound like a whine ass during every post? Just a thought.

if it were that easy, do you think I'd still be here? I'm no ****ing bandwagon jumper.

OpIv37
05-01-2007, 10:33 PM
What "Starter" did we pass on with the 92nd pick?

What part of DEPTH don't you understand? DEPTH doesn't mean starter.

But since you mention it: is there a guaranteed starter at 92? No, of course not. But Edwards is guaranteed NOT to start, whereas any other position would have had an outside chance at starting and a significant chance at contributing as DEPTH (of course, you ignored that in my first post so I don't expect you to get it here).

If Edwards has to come in and play, he won't be any better than Nall THIS year. Down the road, who knows- but let's fill the immediate needs before we start looking down the road. It's like a receiver who takes his eye off the ball to see the defender and thus drops the pass...

Dozerdog
05-01-2007, 10:36 PM
What part of DEPTH don't you understand? DEPTH doesn't mean starter.

Craig Nall is quality depth?

What part of Edwards as depth do you not understand?

Does every draft pick have to have immediate impact? The other 31 teams don't get starters with every first day pick- Unless they are in 1-15 territory

OpIv37
05-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Craig Nall is quality depth?

Does every draft pick have to have immediate impact? The other 31 teams don't get starters with every first day pick- Unless they are in 1-15 territory

a lot of the other 31 teams don't have the needs we have.

Nall quality depth? No, not really, but do you honestly think Edwards is going to be any better in 2007? If you do, you're being completely unrealistic. QB has the highest learning curve of any position.

Hughes, for example, would have a MUCH better chance at making this team better this year.