PDA

View Full Version : Marshawn a mom-made man

madness
05-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Marshawn a mom-made man (http://www.buffalonews.com/111/story/66589.html)

Delisa Lynch says if there’s one thing she wants the people of Buffalo to know about the Bills’ top draft choice, it is this:
“Please don’t judge my son by his appearance,” Lynch said by telephone early this week. “When you see this black guy with dreadlocks and gold in his mouth, don’t put him down as some thug. Get to know Marshawn and you’ll know he’s a much different character.”
She hears Buffalo is big on family. Well, so is Marshawn. When he scores his first touchdown for the Bills, he’ll raise his arms with his first two fingers crossed and his thumbs extended. That’s the Lynches’ symbol for “family first.” See the photo with this story? That’s Mom giving the symbol last weekend when Marshawn went 12th overall to the Bills.
See him on the cell phone? Marshawn calls his mother every day. He has her photo in his phone. He used to call Delisa before and after every game when he was a star running back at Cal. At times, he even called during games. ...

...Buffalo, spurned and ridiculed by McGahee, is looking for a running back to love. Lynch could be just the guy. Where McGahee was cool and aloof, Marshawn is eager and engaging. Before Monday’s media gathering, he poked his head out of the back room, like a kid peeking into the living room on Christmas.
Later, he was staring at a photograph of a Bills game in a snowstorm. “Were you there?” he asked a photographer. He said it would be fun to play football in weather like that.
Robert Jordan, his second cousin, has described Marshawn as soft-spoken but not shy. Jordan is a receiver at Cal. He and Marshawn went as a package. The family thing. When Marshawn was being recruited, competing schools told him he wouldn’t make it at Cal-Berkeley, one of the toughest academic institutions in the country.
Marshawn was a B student at Cal. He has promised his mother that he will finish his final two semesters there. He lists his hobbies as fishing and reading. You’re not likely to hear him complaining about the quality of the night life and women in Buffalo, like his predecessor.
“I’m here to play football,” he said. “I just turned 21 on April 22, so I’m finally legal to go party. But I came here with a mission. The partying will come later. Right now, I’m focused on meeting my teammates and getting to see the city. I have a lot to learn. I’m looking forward to learning how to drive in the snow.”
Marshawn let out a big laugh, flashing that golden smile of his. His mother wishes he would get rid of the gold teeth and cut his hair. But she can’t put into words how proud she is of her son for making it as a student at Cal, and making it to the NFL, while remembering to put family first.
“I think Buffalo will like him,” Delisa said. “You have to know a person inside before you decide he is this way or that way. I call him my gentle giant. When Buffalo fans bring their children out to meet him, they’re going to see how Marshawn interacts with kids. It’ll be a wonderful experience. When they see Marshawn, they will see the child that I raised.”

madness
05-02-2007, 09:15 AM
When Marshawn was being recruited, competing schools told him he wouldn’t make it at Cal-Berkeley, one of the toughest academic institutions in the country.
Marshawn was a B student at Cal. He has promised his mother that he will finish his final two semesters there.

This should put to rest any comments on his intelligence. Just because a person talks a certain way, it shouldn't reflect on how smart he is. I won't mention any names but this should Devinitely change their tune. :D

Mr. Miyagi
05-02-2007, 09:25 AM
:bf1: Great article. Hopefully that will put any doubt of his "character issues" to rest.

I heard Randy Cross on Sirius this morning talking about Marshawn's "character issues", about how the "charges" against him were a concern, and that he needs to keep his nose clean in Buffalo.

What "charges" Randy? Do you even know what "they" are? There was one that I know of, the alleged sexaul abuse one, which was completely dropped due to lack of evidence and inconsistency to the story, given by the nutty gold digging chick. The driveby thing was a case of mistaken identity. It wasn't a "charge" against Marshawn. That's it folks.

I know it's hard to shake a reputation in the NFL once you get it, but hopefully it'll go away for Marshawn soon enough, when the rest of the world sees the kind of guy he really is.

patmoran2006
05-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Cool.. maybe we got the next Bobby Boucher.

Mr. Miyagi
05-02-2007, 09:32 AM
LOL maybe Marshawn's mom could be our team mom serving Chunky Soup! As long as he doesn't do one of those cursed commercials!

http://www.chunky.com/images/spotlight/mcnabb_pic1.jpg

JJamezz
05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
People just make snap judgments based on what they hear other people say... welcome to the world.

Other people I think just don't have the ability to get a feel for people, and have a hard time getting past the dreads and grill..

But for most people, all it took was seeing an interview with the kid, and you just knew what you were seeing & hearing didn't fit with anything the media was portraying about him (surprise, surprise...). I feel I'm a pretty good judge of character - I've had a LOT of practice - and I believe we got a really good one in Marshawn Lynch.

I have to say, I'm equally as excited about the character and 'quality' of Marshawn, JP, Lee, as their athleticism and what they can do on the field. One without the other usually doesn't get you very far, but the combination of both, man, its truly exciting to think about what may lie ahead.

TacklingDummy
05-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Mom should give son a haircut.

Meathead
05-02-2007, 09:39 AM
this is a good first report that provides a great basis for optimism. i know i liked this part especially

“I think Buffalo will like him,” Delisa said. “You have to know a person inside before you decide he is this way or that way. I call him my gentle giant. When Buffalo fans bring their children out to meet him, they’re going to see how Marshawn interacts with kids. It’ll be a wonderful experience. When they see Marshawn, they will see the child that I raised.”

that sounds like a mom who was dedicated to keeping her son real and countering the ghetto influence to produce a gentle soul. if so hallelujah. and right now i choose to be optimistic thats the case

but i will point out a possibility that i consider to be the current black communities achilles heel which is their resistence to truly separate from the ghetto

it is a simple fact that black suffrage has created the ghettos and the myriads of lessons that has spawned. some of it is good, as in the expressive blues mentality that drives creativity. some of it is bad as in the despair that drives violent gansta behavior

in those fractured families everybody is really like a brother - cousins, neighbors, even truly empathetic crackers can become family. its pretty amazing actually. ghetto gangstas are brothers too, but they are bad brothers

the time has come to make the conscious decision to separate from the bad brothers. even in the ghetto

if marshawn is getting shot at because he rolls with gs then hes not really a good guy. i hope thats not the case. i know for a fact christ would hang out with nappy headed hos but even he wouldnt hang with killers

one last thing: ive always found it fascinating that mafia kingpins often thought they were ‘good family men’. i only point that out because a message of family doesnt automatically translate to a good person either. we have to watch closely to see if there is a distinction

gr8slayer
05-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Mom should give son a haircut.
I kind of like the predator hair.

Jan Reimers
05-02-2007, 09:42 AM
He sounds like a great kid to me. I was really impressed with the article, and think Marshawn (and his mom) are going to be a great addition to the Bills and the city of Buffalo.

gr8slayer
05-02-2007, 09:43 AM
I told everyone way before the draft that there's no problems with Lynch, LISTEN PEOPLE!

JJamezz
05-02-2007, 09:48 AM
I told everyone way before the draft that there's no problems with Lynch, LISTEN PEOPLE!

No offense, but thats part of the prob here.. people can blindly listen to other people, without having a basis to form their own opinions / conclusions.

What I'd have suggested, and what most of the people I know on bz did, was do a little research, look the kid up on google, watch the couple of interviews with him that were available.. that would have settled all the character issue garbage right then and there for 99.9% of people not named Pat Moran...

:jk: Pat

madness
05-02-2007, 09:52 AM
the time has come to make the conscious decision to separate from the bad brothers. even in the ghetto

if marshawn is getting shot at because he rolls with gs then hes not really a good guy. i hope thats not the case. i know for a fact christ would hang out with nappy headed hos but even he wouldnt hang with killers

I agree that bad associations spoil useful habits but that shouldn't be applied to Lynch's drive-by. It was a case of mistaken identity due to the make and model of his car not Lynch himself or his associates.

patmoran2006
05-02-2007, 09:54 AM
I been a big Lynch fan too.. IM VERY happy we took him I think it was the perfect choice for us in that spot.
I like him so much that I immediately overlooked the rest of the draft, which as each passing day goes by I like LESS and LESS.
Thank GOd we got Lynch or it would've been REAL bad.

gr8slayer
05-02-2007, 09:56 AM
No offense, but thats part of the prob here.. people can blindly listen to other people, without having a basis to form their own opinions / conclusions.

What I'd have suggested, and what most of the people I know on bz did, was do a little research, look the kid up on google, watch the couple of interviews with him that were available.. that would have settled all the character issue garbage right then and there for 99.9% of people not named Pat Moran...

:jk: Pat
But I happen to know someone who happens to play for the Bills who happens to be close to Lynch. :D

justasportsfan
05-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Willis was engaging towards fans when he first came here. Always willing to sign autographs and exchange pleasantries with fans. Eventually the fame and money went to his head and then the partying began.

Respect is earned. Don't worry Momma Lynch ,WNYers don't judge people by appearance. Willis didn't wear dreads but we didn't judge him by his appearance but his actions. Just like Willis , Lynch will have to earn our respect by his actions. Fame and fortune can change anyone. We'll have to wait and see.

JJamezz
05-02-2007, 10:03 AM
But I happen to know someone who happens to play for the Bills who happens to be close to Lynch. :D

I never meant to imply your opinion was wrong or not valid, sorry if it came out that way. But you could have been Lynch's Momma herself, I still think people, if they are going to have an opinion, should take the time to actually form one of their own.

gr8slayer
05-02-2007, 10:04 AM
I never meant to imply your opinion was wrong or not valid, sorry if it came out that way. But you could have been the Lynch's Momma herself, I still think people, if they are going to have an opinion, should take the time to actually form one of their own.
Point well taken.

Bulldog
05-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I been a big Lynch fan too.. IM VERY happy we took him I think it was the perfect choice for us in that spot.
I like him so much that I immediately overlooked the rest of the draft, which as each passing day goes by I like LESS and LESS.
Thank GOd we got Lynch or it would've been REAL bad.

Because it makes a lot of sense to judge a draft before any of them have even played a GAME. Good call!

raphael120
05-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Yeah on ESPN last night they were talking about the greatest steals and greatest blunders in the first round of the draft, and they said Quinn was the steal, and Marshawn was the blunder, because his injury and questions of durability, saying "He was never the feature back in Cal", and also he has character "red flags". Really hate ESPN, and their clueless commentators. Marv is a COMPLETE character guy, you think after the Mcgahee thing, that he'd turn around and draft someone WORSE than him? IF Mcgahee is god, then Marshawn must be a mere mortal. :puke:

Mr. Miyagi
05-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Eventually the fame and money went to his head and then the partying began.
That was Tha U coming out of him.

justasportsfan
05-02-2007, 10:32 AM
I think it's better he keeps his dreads
http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Profiles/2007/Marshawn-Lynch

JJamezz
05-02-2007, 10:39 AM

I could live without the grill.. not because its 'thug', but because its kinda played out imo... :D

raphael120
05-02-2007, 10:40 AM

damn, its hard not to get excited after watching those videos. he just wont go down!

camelcowboy
05-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Point well taken.Merz?

camelcowboy
05-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah on ESPN last night they were talking about the greatest steals and greatest blunders in the first round of the draft, and they said Quinn was the steal, and Marshawn was the blunder, because his injury and questions of durability, saying "He was never the feature back in Cal", and also he has character "red flags". Really hate ESPN, and their clueless commentators. Marv is a COMPLETE character guy, you think after the Mcgahee thing, that he'd turn around and draft someone WORSE than him? IF Mcgahee is god, then Marshawn must be a mere mortal. :puke:

McShay, Mortesen, Pastabelly and most of Espn "Michael Smith IMO seems to be a little more objective", all pretty much hate us because we axed their inside man Donahue. Marshawn at twelve was the pick for us. Between Poz the top corners "who are the best of a weak class" and Marshawn how can Marshawn not have been the pick. Of those three positions he is the top overall talent on the board at 12. He would have been gone at 16 so i don't consider him a reach. No one doubts his talent. Character issues which would have been checked out before we made the pick. His spliting carries is a valid concern but he has far less ware on him then Adrian Peterson and we have other backs on the roster that are going to spell him. Ronnie Brown was never a full time starter he's had the injury bug but thats a risk im willing to take. Marshawn is a complete back that gives this offense some punch.

okaydo
05-02-2007, 01:36 PM
:bf1:What "charges" Randy? Do you even know what "they" are? There was one that I know of, the alleged sexaul abuse one, which was completely dropped due to lack of evidence and inconsistency to the story, given by the nutty gold digging chick. The driveby thing was a case of mistaken identity. It wasn't a "charge" against Marshawn. That's it folks.
I just want to point out that Lynch was *NEVER* charged with a crime in the sex assault allegation, which of course means that charges couldn't have been dropped.

If Lynch was charged, he would've been arrested, sent to jail and/or forced to go to court.

Lynch was never arrested, and never stepped foot in a courtroom.

As the Oakland Tribune reported (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20070129/ai_n17161508):

No charges to be filed against Cal football star
Oakland Tribune (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176), Jan 29, 2007 (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20070129) by Harry Harris (http://findarticles.com/p/search?tb=art&qt=%22Harry+Harris%22)

OAKLAND -- Citing several reasons, including "some grave inconsistencies" in the complaining woman's story, Alameda County prosecutors decided Monday not to file domestic violence related charges against UC Berkeley football star Marshawn Lynch.

The decision was made by Senior Deputy District Attorney Kim Hunter, an expert in domestic violence cases.

Hunter said one of the key reasons for the decision not to prosecute was that the woman making the complaint gave conflicting statements in the police report and to officers doing the follow-up investigation.

"The victim's story has some grave inconsistencies," Hunter said.

In the initial police report, there was only a mention of Lynch "grabbing and pushing" the woman. But the woman added other details of the confrontation in later interviews and documents.

One of those documents was a petition for a restraining order in which the woman said Lynch, "choke me. slap me then slap himself. pick me up and though(sic) me in the car laid on top of me with his hands over my mouth."

Other reasons cited by Hunter for not charging the case included no visible injuries to the woman, no pictures of any injuries and a statement from someone who knows both Lynch and the woman and was present at the so-called confrontation said that "nothing happened" between them.

"We cannot prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt," Hunter said.

And in response to this:

Look, Lynch was shot at on June 14 in front of his high school at noontime while visiting his sister before her graduation. (Watch the video! (http://www.foxreno.com/news/9373149/detail.html))

It was a case of mistaken identity.

If the gunmen truly wanted to kill Marshawn, wouldn't they have offed him by now, nearly a *year* later, especially with his high profile?

And if Marshawn was hanging out with gangsters, wouldn't he have some kind of interaction with police? According to Marv Levy's findings, he was totally clean.

Meathead
05-02-2007, 01:58 PM
i hope thats the case

one instance doesnt define this whole issue

either he allows himself to hang with gangstas or he doesnt. lots of otherwise 'good' black guys do, which is the point. we simply dont know the answer to that at this time

Mr. Miyagi
05-02-2007, 01:58 PM
I just want to point out that Lynch was *NEVER* charged with a crime in the sex assault allegation, which of course means that charges couldn't have been dropped.

If Lynch was charged, he would've been arrested, sent to jail and/or forced to go to court.

Lynch was never arrested, and never stepped foot in a courtroom.

Even better. I stand corrected. :up:

Michael82
05-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Wow, that's an excellent article! I don't think I can like this guy anymore. He's definitely going to be one of my favorites. I'll be a Poz jersey first and then will most likely get a Lynch jersey before the season. :up:

Saratoga Slim
05-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Cool.. maybe we got the next Bobby Boucher.

Momma says the reason alligators is so mean is they got bad teeth.

Saratoga Slim
05-02-2007, 03:04 PM
also, it's about time we got some dreadlocks on this team. we've been clean cut for too long.

justasportsfan
05-02-2007, 03:12 PM
up until recently, Pacman wasn't charged either with those prior incidents.

ublinkwescore
05-02-2007, 03:18 PM
I kind of like the predator hair.

We drafted Little John!!!

Mr. Miyagi
05-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Are you begging for negs? You don't like the Marshawn pick?

okaydo
05-02-2007, 04:53 PM

The difference is that the deputy DA in Lynch's case, who specializes in domestic violence issues, said she *will not* prosecute Lynch. And if you read the article I posted above, that's after an Oakland Police Special Victims Unit Investigation.

SABURZFAN
05-02-2007, 08:48 PM

one incident and you want to compare him to Pacman. :shakeno:

Bling
05-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Explain to me what the point of dreadlock are? You think he can afford a haircut now? "Oh Bling, he's being different..." Exactly. That's what's scary. People wear dreadlocks, baggy pants, hunter hats, all black, etc. to give off an image. They want people to think of them in that stereotype.

justasportsfan
05-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Are you begging for negs? You don't like the Marshawn pick?

Let's just wait and see before we start canonizing him a saint? WE were fooled by Willis before.