PDA

View Full Version : Camera question?

kgun12
05-02-2007, 10:49 AM
When all the advances in technology, how come the NHL can not put a few cameras in the crossbar and goalposts to give the people in Toronto the best look? It amazes me that the only look was from above and a few inches behind the goal line, which by-the-way was as far behind the goal line as any view I have seen.

OpIv37
05-02-2007, 11:14 AM
and give up the ability to potentially tilt games towards their preferred outcome (ie, at least one more game in NYC broadcast on a national network)? Why the hell would the NHL want to do something like that?

Mitchy moo
05-02-2007, 11:15 AM
2 cheap.

chernobylwraiths
05-02-2007, 11:34 AM
On TSN.ca they talk about the bad camera angles and fuzzy picture. They said that HD could probably help, but it would cost $5 million per team to upgrade. Also, I think Roenick said that they should drill a couple holes in the posts and put tiny cameras in them. How difficult could this be?

I heard on GR this morning that they showed a HD view of a goal in Toronto (the only team to have HD in the arena) and you could clearly see the emblem on the puck. If they want their sport to be taken seriously, they should get this done.

Typ0
05-02-2007, 11:56 AM
the best way to do this would be to put a chip in the puck...there is no way a camera is going to pick up a puck in a glove or stuck in the pads that goes over the line...

OpIv37
05-02-2007, 12:08 PM
the best way to do this would be to put a chip in the puck...there is no way a camera is going to pick up a puck in a glove or stuck in the pads that goes over the line...

About 10 years ago or so, Fox had a camera effect where there was a chip in the puck and they used it to make the puck "glow" on TV so it was easier to follow. They abandoned it because it was too expensive to have a chip in every puck.

However, two things have changed since then. First, electronics have gotten a lot less expensive. Second, they added the nets behind the goals so a lot fewer pucks go into the stands.

at the very least, they should do this for playoff games.

JD
05-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Why not put a simple liquid coating over the puck, or very thin almost weightless metal rings on both sides of the pucks? and have a sensor under the goal-line that could show the puck crossing its sensors..

SkateZilla
05-02-2007, 02:27 PM
When all the advances in technology, how come the NHL can not put a few cameras in the crossbar and goalposts to give the people in Toronto the best look? It amazes me that the only look was from above and a few inches behind the goal line, which by-the-way was as far behind the goal line as any view I have seen.

One In the Middle of the Cross bar looking down, and one in the bottom of each post about 5 or 6 inches from the ice (to avoid snow build up and goalies blocking it)

I'd Rather see a Under Ice Cam.. lol..

Typ0
05-02-2007, 02:54 PM
About 10 years ago or so, Fox had a camera effect where there was a chip in the puck and they used it to make the puck "glow" on TV so it was easier to follow. They abandoned it because it was too expensive to have a chip in every puck.

However, two things have changed since then. First, electronics have gotten a lot less expensive. Second, they added the nets behind the goals so a lot fewer pucks go into the stands.

at the very least, they should do this for playoff games.

if it was cost prohibitive then why did they try it in the first place? rfid chips don't cost that much. Every year there is a cost of living increase on tickets, concessions and cable television...do we get better seats and better beer? If they are going to use the replay then they need the technology to help it get critical calls right or it's just a joke.

OpIv37
05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
if it was cost prohibitive then why did they try it in the first place? rfid chips don't cost that much. Every year there is a cost of living increase on tickets, concessions and cable television...do we get better seats and better beer? If they are going to use the replay then they need the technology to help it get critical calls right or it's just a joke.

I agree

and when Fox did it, there was no such thing as RFID tags so there are no excuses for at least trying