• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Cash To Cap.. Illustrated for your own eyes

I just spent some time on Clump's Salary Cap Page.

SInce I already know Clump's work is almost entirely accurate (or damn close); I can conclude that this is CRAZY and Reason #1 why I hope to God Ralph Wilson isnt our owner in 2 years.

The following are numbers from Clump for the three big Free Agents we inked this offseason, plus last year's top draft pick. For any other team in the NFL besides Buffalo, the first set of numbers is what their salary cap hit would be. The second set is for Buffalo ONLY, and this is what our self-policed "cash to cap" hit is.

REGULAR CAP NUMBER
    Derrick Dockery $6.75 million
    Lansgton Walker $3.0 million
    Chris Kelsay $6.0 million
    Donte Whitner $3.08 million

BILLS CASH TO CAP 2007 NUMBER
    Derrick Dockery $13.5 million
    Langston Walker $7.0 million
    Chris Kelsay $12.0 million
    Donte Whitner $9.45 million

The difference betwen the two is $23.15 million, and that's between FOUR PLAYERS.

That's insane. Now you know why we didnt sign any WR, CB, LB or anyone else in Free Agency after Day One. How are you supposed to contend for championships when four players cost your team almost $42 million against the "cap", while for the other 31 teams the number is under $19 million.

The Good news is the Bills will be at or near the top in cap room every year. The bad news is unless your Ralph Wilson, who gives a ****.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Cash To Cap.. Illustrated for your own eyes

This is the kind of continual carping that frustrates the Hell out of me. We all know you hate "Cash to Cap," that you think Ralph is a cheapskate, etc., etc., ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Regardless, Ralph is going to own this team and run it as he sees fit until he dies.

When you own the team, you can run it anyway you want. Until then, can we just skip you're 57 repetitive, negative posts per day?
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
      This is the kind of continual carping that frustrates the Hell out of me. We all know you hate "Cash to Cap," that you think Ralph is a cheapskate, etc., etc., ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Regardless, Ralph is going to own this team and run it as he sees fit until he dies.

When you own the team, you can run it anyway you want. Until then, can we just skip you're 57 repetitive, negative posts per day?
      This was his 58th, not 57th.

Comment

• feelthepain
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Mar 2005

Ralphs not the one who targeted those players. And isn't your GM reposible for negotiating contracts?? Nobody forced the Bills to pay so much for those players.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

and so are the 57 posts per day about how much marshawn lynch loves his mom.

Maybe I ***** about Wilson too much, but it's because my frustration grows when we have a nice core of talent and an owner who can't understand what the CBA is anymore, let alone correctly pronounce the last name of our second draft pick. And my posts are almost always supported with facts.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
            • Feb 2005

The good news is that the following numbers will not have to be accounted for in 2008 and beyond...

Derrick Dockery $6.75 M
            Lansgton Walker $3.5 M
            Chris Kelsay $6.0 M
            Donte Whitner $6.37 M

Total... $22.62 M

The Ralph isn't necessarily being cheap... Marv is simply making the Bills fiscally responsible when it comes to The NFL salary cap.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by feelthepain
              Ralphs not the one who targeted those players.
              The POST isnt about the PLAYERS we target. You cant judge players before they play.

Its about how much more money it costs the Buffalo Bills to sign their guys against their own "salary cap" versus the rest of the league.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

Cash to cap is long term plan. Not short term, immediate gratification. We all must pay off our credit cards. This will allow the Bills to sign more players each year.
                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

in Pat's defense, this time he came up with actual numbers to prove how much the "cash to cap" philosophy limits our ability to attract players.

However, time will tell what happens from here on out. If- like draz suggested- the strategy is being used to maximize cap hits NOW so we have the flexibility to make big FA splashes or at least re-sign guys like Evans in the future, it could be a good thing.

If, however, someone like Evans is allowed to walk because of "cash to cap", then we as fans should be rioting in front of the stadium. That's a losing policy for sure.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    Cash to cap is long term plan. Not short term, immediate gratification. We all must pay off our credit cards. This will allow the Bills to sign more players each year.
                    But if cash to cap remains in effect each year, then any signings would continue to eat up much more than they would under another team. Either way we're under a financial burden.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Don't Panic
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Dec 2005

As was said, the two good things about cash to cap are:
                      a) Guys will actually come in lower than their cap number in years other than their bonus (signing or other) years.
                      b) When Ralph breaks on through to the other side, we will be an extremely attractive buy due to our "financial prudence" and, therefore, lower overhead.
                      Let's just hope we can field a competitive team in the meantime.

Comment

• feelthepain
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                        The POST isnt about the PLAYERS we target. You cant judge players before they play.

Its about how much more money it costs the Buffalo Bills to sign their guys against their own "salary cap" versus the rest of the league.
                        Yeah and if the Bills don't spend the money the fans complain. I don't like the players the Bills targeted this year, but at least they did something and spent the money to get the players they wanted, you should at least wait and see if they got their moeys worth. This is a business and for teams like the Bills in a small market the owners have to get creative to make money. I'm sure you don't have exclusive access to what the Bills overhead or know their bottom line. After all, if they want to make money in the NFL maybe this is their way of doing it. I don't know all the expenses they face and I don't know what they consider a successful year as an NFL franchise, but then again I'm sure you don't either. My point is you're only looking at it in wins and losses, not profit. they have to consider everything, you just want to win. As a fan that's fine, as an owner, you don't have that luxury.

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bwbrenton
                          As was said, the two good things about cash to cap are:
                          a) Guys will actually come in lower than their cap number in years other than their bonus (signing or other) years.
                          b) When Ralph breaks on through to the other side, we will be an extremely attractive buy due to our "financial prudence" and, therefore, lower overhead.
                          Let's just hope we can field a competitive team in the meantime.
                          Gee, now I feel better
                          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                            Unreachable Douche
                            • Jul 2002

Lets face it, with the players the Bills have there is no reason to go over the cap anyways.

I can see the Bills going over their "cash to cap" if Losman pans out and when Lee gets a new contract.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Great post!

Comment

Working...
                              X