PDA

View Full Version : Bills 2007 FA class is very weak (good)

patmoran2006
05-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Quick look at the current Bills scheduled to become FA's after this season shows that nobody of any real importance will be lost; unlike this year when economics forced the departures of Fletcher and Clements; two key components to the defense.

2007 Final Year Players
Aiken
Cieslak
Nuefeld
Whittle
Hargrove
Stamer
Leonard
Haggan

Obviously, since we're currently at around $19 million UNDER the cap with the cap to go up again next year, cap-wise we will be in prime position to be big players in Free Agency.

Following the 2008 Season, a couple of key guys who will be due to become FA's include: Keith Ellison, Melvin Fowler, Roscoe Parrish and of course, JP Losman.

OpIv37
05-02-2007, 11:02 AM
We should NEVER be $19 million under the cap- if that's the case we should try to lock up some guys long term and front load the contracts so the biggest hit is against that $19m we're not using.

Philagape
05-02-2007, 11:21 AM
This is why our window is open through 2008, and why I wish we would shore up the depth in several areas while we still can. And I want to see major impact signings next offseason. Take our shot now.

Dr. Lecter
05-02-2007, 11:29 AM
We should NEVER be $19 million under the cap- if that's the case we should try to lock up some guys long term and front load the contracts so the biggest hit is against that $19m we're not using.

Most players won't negotiate extension until they have one year left.

billsburgh
05-02-2007, 11:30 AM
extend Evans and Losman NOW

Ed
05-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I believe after 2008, Lee Evans will be a UFA also since his last year is voidable. So Losman and Evans will be hitting free agency at the same time. Based on that list, it shouldn't be difficult at all to keep any of those guys if we want, at a relatively cheap price.

So next year is an excellent opportunity to re-sign both Losman and Evans long term. At this point, there's absolutely no excuse to lose any of our top young players over the next few years.

Don't Panic
05-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Re-up JP after this year (assuming he proves he's worth it), wait for Evans to hit the market and franchise him. Use the cap space next year to bring in the two pieces we'll be missing.

TigerJ
05-02-2007, 01:06 PM
I think the one advantage of cash to cap is that Buffalo may never find itself hard up against the cap when offseason happens.

I hope Losman re-signs when his rookie contract is up, but if he tries to play hardball, Trent Edwards might turn out to be a good insurance policy. I hope Hargrove and Cieslak re-up after next season, but they aren't critical. Nobody else much matters. I do agree, if Buffalo can get Evans to sign on the dotted line of about a 6-7 year deal that would be a good thing.

raphael120
05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
2007 Final Year Players
Aiken - BUM
Cieslak -Gettin paid 6 figures for 3 receptions. Rock on.
Nuefeld- BUM
Whittle- Old, but we'll see if he's a capable backup. I see our rooks taking over
Hargrove- Worth keeping? We'll see this year.
Stamer- Special teams BUM
Leonard- Who?
Haggan- Haggen das needs to go.

gr8slayer
05-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Must extend Evans NOW.

Ed
05-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Anyone know of any top players from other teams that will be UFA's after this season?

mchurchfie
05-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Evans should be our number one priority, even over JP.

casdhf
05-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Following the 2008 Season, a couple of key guys who will be due to become FA's include: Keith Ellison, Melvin Fowler, Roscoe Parrish and of course, JP Losman. Ellison should be a RFA, so we would most likely get something for him if we were to lose him.

ublinkwescore
05-02-2007, 03:04 PM

this puts us in prime position to lock up core guys to the O and D - like maybe Ellison - if he proves to be a good player for us, and Lee and Losman on O, the following offseason. Not to mention, we're in a position to not have to spend a dime trying to keep any of our current starters next offseason because all of our current starters are under contract - we can use (some of) that money on bringing in competition for 'weak link' starters, or unquestionable upgrades to them.

Marv Levy's genius is really starting to show.

I just hope it takes other teams a while to catch on to what he's doing so they don't start copying him.

ublinkwescore
05-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Evans should be our number one priority, even over JP.

How the hell can you say that - how long did it take this team to find a franchise QB?

A franchise WR is a lot less rare.

Marv will lock both up probably next offseason.

Crisis
05-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Losman hasn't shown consistently enough that that he's a franchise QB.

Evans consistently shows that he is/will be a top 5 receiver for a long time.

Extending Lee should be the number one priority, and after this season they should evaluate Losman's play and see if he's worth keeping around.

HHURRICANE
05-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Must extend Evans NOW.

Evans yes, Losman no!!