PDA

View Full Version : Manny Wright Scouting Report

SoCalBillsFan
05-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Wow, I sign in today to find out we signed Manny Wright and laughed out loud. Actually though, I like the signing. The guy will cost us nothing if he doesn't make the team. The only downside is getting made fun of because he cried, but if he produces, we'll get over that.

This guy was very highly recruited and was supposed to be the heir apparent to one of the DT spots at USC that was vacated by first rounder Mike Patterson (Eagles) and 2nd Rounder Shan Cody (Lions). He was the third guy in the rotation behind those guys as a sophomore, and played quite a bit. He was incredibly quick and agile for his size, very athletic, and strong as well. We all thought he would be a first or high second round pick eventually. Unfortunately his grades stank, and his work ethic was questionable. He would take plays off. But when he gave it 100 percent, he really could be dominant. He had a great game against OU in the 2004 Championship game.

After that 2004 season he flunked out of school. That's when he entered the supplemental draft and got taken by the fins, cried like a school girl, and the rest is history.

Honestly after watching him for two years in college, he has (or at least, had) the tools. I think he wasn't ready for the NFL, certainly wasn't mature enough to handle it. Is he ever going to be dominant in the NFL? Probably not. But I do think if he gets his head on straight he can be a solid part in a DT rotation. It's worth a flier. Yeah, we'll have to hear about the crying thing, but we'll forget about that if he brings his game to the table.

JMO...

HHURRICANE
05-02-2007, 06:58 PM
I cry when I watch Tim Anderson play so DTs and crying go hand-in hand.

DraftBoy
05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Good analysis Socal, and we wont hold it against you that you root for the Trojans

Michael82
05-02-2007, 07:09 PM
I cry when I watch Tim Anderson play so DTs and crying go hand-in hand.
:rofl: Good point!