PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Side of Hockey Returns - not good news

Ebenezer
05-03-2007, 12:58 AM
This is a great article and covers some of the stuff we've mentioned here...the NHL is destroying itself again...

...and this is what is making the playoffs frustrating for me...the realization that the Sabres have a very very small window to win a Cup. This is their best chance but the game is changing right in front of them and they may not be able to do it this year...combine that with the Salary cap and we are seeing the Sabres best, and possible last, chance to win a Cup dissolving...

Disallowed goals? NHL has a bigger problem
By Damien Cox

Call these the White-Knuckle Playoffs.

Goals are at a premium, and every time the red light does go on, the second part of the scoring process begins.

Will it count? What will Big Brother back in Toronto say?

Every good goal is a major achievement, as precious as every made putt in a major championship.

The fact that disallowed goals seem to be as frequent as legal ones (Ottawa had two goals count and two waved off in Monday's Game 3 against New Jersey) means fans in the arena and watching on television are learning, like in a Florida election, that nothing counts until it goes through some form of judicial review.

And even then, the final decision might not make sense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2007/columns/story?columnist=cox_damien&id=2857933

kgun12
05-03-2007, 01:25 AM
Very good article. The NHL is and will always be it's worst enemy.

Ebenezer
05-03-2007, 01:42 AM
I think there are some things that have happened because the game has changed that were not planned....however, I do believe that the NHL saw how badly they got creamed in arbitration last year and figured out it wouldn't take long for goal scorers to demand even bigger money...hence, they are letting somethings go backwards as to keep salaries down.