• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

clarification purposes

DT and special teamers? Is that how i am to understand it?

I trust Marv and CO know what they are doing, but i don't necessarily get what is going on on the defensive side of the football. I don't think fletcher, clements and spikes made us a great d last year, so i can live without them....however, if we have any injuries outside of the DT position, we are screwed.

Offense is looking respectable sans a #2 receiver, but perhaps there are a couple more cap casualities around the league and we take a stretch another Peerless kind of guy who actually still has something left in the tanks.

All hope is not done, Bills Nation. It's just getting good.
  • bflojohn
    • Aug 2005

Re: clarification purposes

EVERY team has its own "little" flaws! The Bills are grouped in this category. However, team building does take time, and Marv Levy and staff have reshaped this outfit into something VASTLY different to what Tom Donahoe had left behind. That, in my opinion, is already lightyears ahead in the sense of contending for a playoff berth. Well shall see....

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by bflojohn
      EVERY team has its own "little" flaws! The Bills are grouped in this category. However, team building does take time, and Marv Levy and staff have reshaped this outfit into something VASTLY different to what Tom Donahoe had left behind. That, in my opinion, is already lightyears ahead in the sense of contending for a playoff berth. Well shall see....
      you consider a crap DL, young LB's with no depth and completely unproven CB's a "little" flaw?

Different is not necessarily better.

I don't mind Marv unloading high salary guys who were getting old and not carrying their weight, but it would be nice to have a little experience and/or depth on the D.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• alohabillsfan
        • Sep 2003

Here is my take on the transformation...

Offensive line was the priority of this offseason and was upgraded and has the best depth that we have seen in a long long time. Upgrade!

We went from Willis to Lynch and Wright= Upgrade!

WR= Upgrade Why, the O-line Marve said it in his presser, oline make the whole offense better.

TE= Upgrade, why, they should be able to run routes instead of remaining in to block!

Defense= Overall should remain about the same or improve it really hinges on the improved performance of the offense! (Still wish we would have got a CB)

D-Line= Good rotation and depth.

LB= Crowell POZ Ellison May be an upgrade!

CB= loss of clements hurts here, hope Ashton and McGee are ready!

SS/FS Should improve over last year with the experiance gained last year!

10-6!!! Wild card !!!

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

Buffalo is thin at linebacker and cornerback to be sure. They might be able to absorb a short term injury or two, but if Youboty, McGee, Pos, Crowell or Ellison have a biggee, the Bills are most likely screwed. Then again, Ellison stepped out of nowhere last season to become a pretty good NFL linebacker. There's always a slim chance of that happening again.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by alohabillsfan

Offensive line was the priority of this offseason and was upgraded and has the best depth that we have seen in a long long time. Upgrade!

WR= Upgrade Why, the O-line Marve said it in his presser, oline make the whole offense better.

TE= Upgrade, why, they should be able to run routes instead of remaining in to block!

Defense= Overall should remain about the same or improve it really hinges on the improved performance of the offense! (Still wish we would have got a CB)

10-6!!! Wild card !!!
            Sorry but I have to call "homerism" on this post.

You ranked TE and WR as upgrades, but we didn't change anyone at WR and only added a 7th round draft pick at TE. You tried to use the one area we clearly upgraded (OL) to say it upgraded two positions that weren't even touched. That's insanity.

The DL only has good depth because the starters are just as bad as the 3rd stringers. It's the same crap we had last year plus Darwin Walker who won't really help against the run.

The starting LB's could be decent but we still have no depth and are one injury away from disaster.

10-6? Maybe if the Jets plane collides with the Patriots plane in mid air and both teams have to forfeit their games against us.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• casdhf
              • Jul 2002

That S Wendling would be a good fit at OLB. I hope he works out better than wire.
              Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
              cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• The Answer
                The Plagiarist
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by trapezeus

I trust Marv and CO know what they are doing, but i don't necessarily get what is going on on the defensive side of the football. I don't think fletcher, clements and spikes made us a great d last year, so i can live without them....however, if we have any injuries outside of the DT position, we are screwed.

Offense is looking respectable sans a #2 receiver, but perhaps there are a couple more cap casualities around the league and we take a stretch another Peerless kind of guy who actually still has something left in the tanks.

In hindsight we really should have hung onto spikes instead of throwing him in the Holcomb/Walker trade - he may be finished as a full time starter, but he would have been solid depth/rotation.

~The Answer

Comment

• The Answer
                  The Plagiarist
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by alohabillsfan

10-6!!! Wild card !!!
                  If the D-Line don't improve, then not only will teams be able to run the ball down our throats all day - but they will light us up in the passing game at will.

Randy Moss = Big plays against Toast and Shake. In fact didn't he light up Clements when he was gimping around in oakland with an injury?

The back 7 is suspect to say the least right now.

~The Answer

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

I don't know.. its really tough to say at this point. I can picture the d doing alright (barring injuries) as is, and I can also see them struggling mightily.. There's too many unknowns at this point.

Fortunately, the offense should be much less of a question mark. Noticeably improved at best - taking over from where they left off the 2nd half of last season at worst.

As much as Marv or Dick don't want to admit it, rebuilding a team pretty much from the ground up is a minimum 3 year commitment.. If all goes according to plan, this time next year, this team should look like one that can not only make the playoffs, but make some noise when they're there. And that should be the case for at least 3-4 years.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                      • Aug 2004

Marv is far from building a team from the ground up. Get serious. When Donahoe took over that was building a team from the ground up.

Marv was left behind with Losman, Evans, Peters, Schobel, McGahee(had trade value and got draft picks for), Kelsay, Crowell, McGahee and Spikes(who we were able to trade for a decent player) We were also left with some decent depth players also. This is not building from the ground up when you're left with stars like that. Especially good players left behind at QB, WR and DE. Teams building from the ground up aren't left with them type of players.

When Donahoe took over we were old and overpriced. We had absolutely nothing. There was only two players left behind worth a damn and that was Moulds and Williams. Everyone else was replaced. Within 3 years of that project were only had like 2 players left over from the other team and we had a pretty talented teams.

Saying Marv's job is a 3 year project is crazy and homerism. He was left behind a nice group of stars which Donahoe wasn't left behind with. If we're not in the playoffs by next season then it's a failure so far.

Comment

• G. Host
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2002

As of this point speculation will just make people harden their position and result in arguing later in season. Let them show at least what they can do in camp before trying to tear them down or compare them to players who left.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus

Yeah just DT's and special teamers....

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by casdhf
                            That S Wendling would be a good fit at OLB. I hope he works out better than wire.
                            I mentioned the same thing in a thread the day after the draft. He basically has the same build as Ellison. The problem is that after Whitner and Simpson, Leonard is the only other Safety listed on our depth chart. So unless a UDFA or some yet to be aquired vet is ID'd , we kind of need Wendling at Safety.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                              Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by The Answer
                              In hindsight we really should have hung onto spikes instead of throwing him in the Holcomb/Walker trade - he may be finished as a full time starter, but he would have been solid depth/rotation.

~The Answer

Um Earth to Answer.... Spikes was not thrown into that trade Holcumb was. Spikes was the main person for the Eagles in that trade.

Comment

Working...
                              X