PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking forward to seeing the offense

justasportsfan
05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Especially in the redzone We've got bruising backs that won't just go down to go with our huge OL.

I was impressed by the hands of the TE we drafted, Schouman . He's got the ability to go deep. Should be interesting to see if Faichild will go with a 2 TE set.

If JP perfects his short passes and our OL holds up ,we may have a potent O.

The last buffalo fan
05-03-2007, 01:06 PM
You can bet the farm on it!!!!! :xtreme: :bandwagon

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 01:07 PM
the red zone will be key because with this D, we need touchdowns every time down the field. FG's won't cut it.

Mr. Miyagi
05-03-2007, 01:08 PM
We should just cut Lindell and force our O to go for it every 4th down.

Pinkerton Security
05-03-2007, 01:19 PM
We should just cut Lindell and force our O to go for it every 4th down.

hells ya! now THAT would be exciting! and heart-attack enducing!

madness
05-03-2007, 01:20 PM
the red zone will be key because with this D, we need touchdowns every time down the field. FG's won't cut it.

:yawn:

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 01:34 PM
:yawn:

insightful, as always.... :rolleyes:

gil
05-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Outside of getting another receiver, they did about all they could to upgrade the offense this off-season - I'm praying it pays off.

EDS
05-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I still have concerns about the right side of the offensive line. Seems like they have more options now but none are proven. Granted, it can't be any worse then last year.

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Granted, it can't be any worse then last year.

That's what we said about the run D in 2005, but we actually gave up more rushing yards in 2006....

madness
05-03-2007, 02:45 PM
insightful, as always.... :rolleyes:

repetitive, as always. Besides, any insight contradicting your opinions is considered automatic homerism. So why bother?

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 02:54 PM
repetitive, as always.

well, when people start LISTENING and stop ignoring what they don't want to hear, maybe I can stop being repetitive.

Every time I mention the flaws in the D, I always get "well, the offense is better so that will take pressure off the D and make the D better."

Well, guess what? That only works if the red zone offense clicks- we're going to need sustained drives that end in 7 points. If the O stifles and gets 3, then the opposing O marches right down and scores 7, the O isn't making the D better like everyone seems to think.

Don't dismiss valid points just because you don't want to hear the truth.

justasportsfan
05-03-2007, 03:06 PM
well, when people start LISTENING and stop ignoring what they don't want to hear, maybe I can stop being repetitive.

Every time I mention the flaws in the D, I always get "well, the offense is better so that will take pressure off the D and make the D better."

Well, guess what? That only works if the red zone offense clicks- we're going to need sustained drives that end in 7 points. If the O stifles and gets 3, then the opposing O marches right down and scores 7, the O isn't making the D better like everyone seems to think.

start your own :"what I am NOT looking forward to" thread.

Sheez OP, stop mentruating on every thread that has an ounce of exitement.

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 03:10 PM

I had a VALID point about the red zone offense, which is related to what you said in the initial post.

madness
05-03-2007, 03:12 PM

:rofl: Your opinion does not equal truth. We don't know the D will be worse until they play. The starting LB's are younger and faster and the D line now has a complete rotation for once. The only question mark is CB and maybe LB depth. The negative question marks you put on the O can be put on both sides of the ball and can be put in a negative or positive reference.

Considering that we are set up to have a very good rushing attack, that would mean more clock to kill which would in turn keep our defense fresh. Most people that has ever played a sport knows the more energy an athlete has, the higher their performance level will be. Factor in a rotation of 4-5 decent DT's instead of 2.5 like last year, this should increase likelihood of penetration on both running and passing lanes.

Your little game can be both played both ways whether you like it or not.

justasportsfan
05-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I had a VALID point about the red zone offense, which is related to what you said in the initial post.

The D and the redzone? Dude, I am talking about the O. Shadowhawk has a state of the D thread. Go menstruate over there. I was talking about the O here. Your attempt to bring the D into this discussion is your attempt to piss on what I am talking about, the positive possibilities in redzone.

Cmon, I know you can speak english.

mysticsoto
05-03-2007, 03:19 PM

I have a feeling that time of possession will play alot into it also. With a good running game, we can afford from the start to take time off the clock, run the ball efficiently and even get those short yards with the bruiser we obtained in Wright.

You criticize our D above for not being able to stop the run...but please praise them on the other hand for being able to cause turnovers which is what the D is designed to do and did pretty well in!!!

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 03:20 PM
:rofl: Your opinion does not equal truth. We don't know the D will be worse until they play. The starting LB's are younger and faster and the D line now has a complete rotation for once. The only question mark is CB and maybe LB depth. The negative question marks you put on the O can be put on both sides of the ball and can be put in a negative or positive reference.

Considering that we are set up to have a very good rushing attack, that would mean more clock to kill which would in turn keep our defense fresh. Most people that has ever played a sport knows the more energy an athlete has, the higher their performance level will be. Factor in a rotation of 4-5 decent DT's instead of 2.5 like last year, this should increase likelihood of penetration on both running and passing lanes.

Your little game can be both played both ways whether you like it or not.

Um, the ONLY question mark is CB and maybe LB depth? LB Depth IS a question mark whether you like it or not, and the DL rotation is made up mostly of the same crap it was last year. But hey, it's perfectly reasonable to expect guys to get better for no particular reason :rolleyes:. Our D didn't only suck in the 4th quarter (although it did get worse)- it sucked for the entire game. So you are overrating the energy thing.

As far as LB- Crowell is slightly above average, Ellison was average in his rookie year and should get better, but may not, and who knows how Poz will respond. To sit there and think our LB's will be better from Day 1 is just plain naive. It will take them time to learn and who knows how many losses we'll have in that time.

As far as power running game, STEVE FAIRCHILD is our offensive coordinator. Hopefully we'll run the ball more often and better than last year, but there won't be any power running game in Buffalo anytime soon.

You say the question marks can be put in a negative or positive reference. Well, the negative reference is a continuation of what we've seen in the past whereas the positive reference is based on conjecture -"IF this happens or IF that happens, we won't suck". Not to mention that there are a LOT of questions- just like last year, the chances of enough of them being answered positively to have success is slim to none.

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 03:22 PM
The D and the redzone? Dude, I am talking about the O. Shadowhawk has a state of the D thread. Go menstruate over there. I was talking about the O here. Your attempt to bring the D into this discussion is your attempt to piss on what I am talking about, the positive possibilities in redzone.

Cmon, I know you can speak english.

Well, either you didn't read my response to madness or you're the one who needs help with English.

Everyone says the O is going to compensate for the D- well that only works if we score in the redzone- hence, if this team is going to do anything this season, the redzone is even MORE important than it's been in the past. There is a direct correlation whether you like it or not.

THATHURMANATOR
05-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Are you saying that our only chance to win game is to score on every posession?

justasportsfan
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Yikes !

Okay I'm changing the title of the thread ... any suggestions? I was thinking
" Post something Positve here and make OP *****y"

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I have a feeling that time of possession will play alot into it also. With a good running game, we can afford from the start to take time off the clock, run the ball efficiently and even get those short yards with the bruiser we obtained in Wright.

You criticize our D above for not being able to stop the run...but please praise them on the other hand for being able to cause turnovers which is what the D is designed to do and did pretty well in!!!

actually we had 24 takeaways which was tied for 24th in the league. I wouldnt' say the D does that particularly well either.

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Are you saying that our only chance to win game is to score on every posession?

no, I'm saying if we get close enough to score a touchdown, it HAS to be a touchdown and not a FG or a goose egg, because the D is going to give up points so we can't squander opportunities.

justasportsfan
05-03-2007, 03:29 PM
the threads all yours OP.

Nextime, can someone please warn me if he's on the rag!!!!

madness
05-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Um, the ONLY question mark is CB and maybe LB depth? LB Depth IS a question mark whether you like it or not, and the DL rotation is made up mostly of the same crap it was last year. But hey, it's perfectly reasonable to expect guys to get better for no particular reason :rolleyes:. Our D didn't only suck in the 4th quarter (although it did get worse)- it sucked for the entire game. So you are overrating the energy thing.

As far as LB- Crowell is slightly above average, Ellison was average in his rookie year and should get better, but may not, and who knows how Poz will respond. To sit there and think our LB's will be better from Day 1 is just plain naive. It will take them time to learn and who knows how many losses we'll have in that time.

As far as power running game, STEVE FAIRCHILD is our offensive coordinator. Hopefully we'll run the ball more often and better than last year, but there won't be any power running game in Buffalo anytime soon.

You say the question marks can be put in a negative or positive reference. Well, the negative reference is a continuation of what we've seen in the past whereas the positive reference is based on conjecture -"IF this happens or IF that happens, we won't suck". Not to mention that there are a LOT of questions- just like last year, the chances of enough of them being answered positively to have success is slim to none.

How is the DL rotation made of mostly the same crap last year? Compare the rotation from last year to what's projected this year and explain how that is the same. Our defense sucked for the entire game? Does our defense have to be a top 10 defense in order not to suck?

On paper, the LB core got younger and faster whether you like it or not. Will that translate into success onto the field? We won't until they actually get on the field.

You still refuse to ignore the fact that STEVE FAIRCHILD's offensive philosophy before coaching for the Rams was a power running game. Just because he was under Martz doesn't mean he has abandoned it all together. Once again you're relying on your psychic predictions that there will not be any power running game in Buffalo anytime soon.

As for your continual negative spiral theory, does that just apply to Buffalo since teams in every sport are capable of making changes that curve the direction of their team no matter how many questions there are.

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 03:50 PM
How is the DL rotation made of mostly the same crap last year? Compare the rotation from last year to what's projected this year and explain how that is the same. Our defense sucked for the entire game? Does our defense have to be a top 10 defense in order not to suck?

On paper, the LB core got younger and faster whether you like it or not. Will that translate into success onto the field? We won't until they actually get on the field.

You still refuse to ignore the fact that STEVE FAIRCHILD's offensive philosophy before coaching for the Rams was a power running game. Just because he was under Martz doesn't mean he has abandoned it all together. Once again you're relying on your psychic predictions that there will not be any power running game in Buffalo anytime soon.

As for your continual negative spiral theory, does that just apply to Buffalo since teams in every sport are capable of making changes that curve the direction of their team no matter how many questions there are.

Few teams in sports have as many questions as we do right now. All these positive predictions on this team are based on all or most of them being answered positively, which is not realistic.

Last year's rotation- Tripplett, Williams, Anderson, McCargo early, Tripplett, Williams, Anderson, Hargrove/Jefferson later.

This year's rotation- Tripplett, Williams, Walker, McCargo- not sure if/where Manny Wright will fit in. Basically we swap Anderson for Walker which is a slight upgrade and get McCargo back- DE's are the same, everything else is the same. McCargo missed most of his rookie season so he's going to go through growing pains- people are expecting WAY too much from him.

you said it yourself about the LB's- faster doesn't mean better. And there's no depth. The chances of getting through a whole season with no injuries to starting LB's is slim to none.

Since when are history, personnel and a coach's philosophy the same as "psychic predictions"? I guess since I started saying things about the team that you dont' want to hear...

madness
05-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Few teams in sports have as many questions as we do right now. All these positive predictions on this team are based on all or most of them being answered positively, which is not realistic.

Last year's rotation- Tripplett, Williams, Anderson, McCargo early, Tripplett, Williams, Anderson, Hargrove/Jefferson later.

This year's rotation- Tripplett, Williams, Walker, McCargo- not sure if/where Manny Wright will fit in. Basically we swap Anderson for Walker which is a slight upgrade and get McCargo back- DE's are the same, everything else is the same. McCargo missed most of his rookie season so he's going to go through growing pains- people are expecting WAY too much from him.

you said it yourself about the LB's- faster doesn't mean better. And there's no depth. The chances of getting through a whole season with no injuries to starting LB's is slim to none.

Since when are history, personnel and a coach's philosophy the same as "psychic predictions"? I guess since I started saying things about the team that you dont' want to hear...

There you go again. Verbally demoralizing someone because they don't agree with your opinions. Oops, your forgot to also call me a homer in that last statement. It's okay I forgive you, you've seemed to fill your homer calling quota for the day.

Please explain why would the staff draft two running backs if they weren't going to focus on the running game this year.

Lexwhat
05-03-2007, 04:14 PM

This year's rotation- Tripplett, Williams, Walker, McCargo- not sure if/where Manny Wright will fit in. Basically we swap Anderson for Walker which is a slight upgrade and get McCargo back- DE's are the same, everything else is the same. McCargo missed most of his rookie season so he's going to go through growing pains- people are expecting WAY too much from him...

I am not happy about the LB situation at all. If I were the Bills, I would take our 2008 1st rounder and another 3rd or 4th rounder and try to get Lance Briggs.

The CB situation is somewhat of a concern too, but I feel like Kiwaukee Thomas does not get much attention and can at least do a REASONABLE job. As for Youboty, I have no idea. No one knows. However, in our defense, our CBs need to just keep the WRs in front of them.

If the players can execute the scheme well, we will be fine. Especially since Whitner and Simpson, 2 very young players, will now be in their 2nd season. It is HIGHLY PROBABLE that they will vastly improve. Basically, I am not that worried about the CB position.

But as for "Anderson for Walker is a slight upgrade" comment, get real. Anderson is terrible, Walker is a BIG TIME upgrade COMPARED to Tim Anderson. If you wanna be critical, fine. But IMO, that is a very bad analysis.

Mad Bomber
05-03-2007, 04:16 PM
As much as I enjoy discussing our DT rotation, potential weakness at LB, and whether or not it's that time of month for Op, I'm going to go off topic here and talk about the offense.

I'm looking forward to seeing how well we run the ball off the left side, which is where we had the most success last year, and should be even better this year.

The question mark is the right side of the line. We sucked there last year. Will Walker pan out at tackle? If not, can he move inside? Can Pennington move inside if Walker does pan out at RT? Will our front five pass block well enough to allow a TE to actually catch some passes this year?

justasportsfan
05-03-2007, 04:19 PM
As much as I enjoy discussing our DT rotation, potential weakness at LB, and whether or not it's that time of month for Op, I'm going to go off topic here and talk about the offense.

Stay topic bro'. Holy grail.

Mad Bomber
05-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Stay topic bro'. Holy grail.
Wasn't the offense supposed to be the topic of this thread?

justasportsfan
05-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Wasn't the offense supposed to be the topic of this thread?
not anymore.

Mad Bomber
05-03-2007, 04:27 PM
not anymore.
Well, let's take it back.

With all the talk about our crappy run D, people seem to forget that we had one of the worst offenses in the NFL last year. Maybe because we started coming on at the end of the year.

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 04:44 PM
There you go again. Verbally demoralizing someone because they don't agree with your opinions. Oops, your forgot to also call me a homer in that last statement. It's okay I forgive you, you've seemed to fill your homer calling quota for the day.

Please explain why would the staff draft two running backs if they weren't going to focus on the running game this year.

It's no secret that we needed an RB and a FB going into the draft.

please explain why we'd have Steve Fairchild as our offensive coordinator and TE's known for receiving instead of blocking if we're going to focus on the running game.

Please explain why we took a QB in the 3rd if we're going to focus on the power running game. Wouldn't an interior lineman or a blocking TE have been a better pick?

as far as "verbally demoralizing", you're referring to the fact that I actually ADDRESS the flaws in this team instead of sticking my fingers in my ears, closing my eyes and yelling "LALALALALA". If you're "verbally demoralized" because someone actually acknowledges the holes in this team and is realistic about the chances for success, then you're way too thin-skinned.

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 04:48 PM
I am not happy about the LB situation at all. If I were the Bills, I would take our 2008 1st rounder and another 3rd or 4th rounder and try to get Lance Briggs.

The CB situation is somewhat of a concern too, but I feel like Kiwaukee Thomas does not get much attention and can at least do a REASONABLE job. As for Youboty, I have no idea. No one knows. However, in our defense, our CBs need to just keep the WRs in front of them.

If the players can execute the scheme well, we will be fine. Especially since Whitner and Simpson, 2 very young players, will now be in their 2nd season. It is HIGHLY PROBABLE that they will vastly improve. Basically, I am not that worried about the CB position.

But as for "Anderson for Walker is a slight upgrade" comment, get real. Anderson is terrible, Walker is a BIG TIME upgrade COMPARED to Tim Anderson. If you wanna be critical, fine. But IMO, that is a very bad analysis.

I agree that Anderson completely blows, so let me qualify that statement- Walker is clearly better in pass rushing. But when it comes to the run, he's not that much better. Given that run D was our big weakness last year, this is only a slight improvement. Walker is still a smaller, pass-rushing DT and we really need some big run stuffers- make sense?

justasportsfan
05-03-2007, 04:50 PM
I agree that Anderson completely blows, so let me qualify that statement- Walker is clearly better in pass rushing. But when it comes to the run, he's not that much better. Given that run D was our big weakness last year, this is only a slight improvement. Walker is still a smaller, pass-rushing DT and we really need some big run stuffers- make sense?
Since when did you become an expert on Walker? Didn't know you followed him and know how he'd do in the cover 2.

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Since when did you become an expert on Walker? Didn't know you followed him and know how he'd do in the cover 2.

oh jesus christ, here we go again. Why even bother HAVING a message board? According to justa, no one's opinion is valid unless they've devoted their lives to studying a particular player or work for an NFL team.

justasportsfan
05-03-2007, 04:55 PM
oh jesus christ, here we go again. Why even bother HAVING a message board? According to justa, no one's opinion is valid unless they've devoted their lives to studying a particular player or work for an NFL team. make it clear it's your opinion. You made a STATEMENT like you knew for sure he was not much against the run.

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 04:58 PM
make it clear it's your opinion. You made a STATEMENT like you knew for sure he was not much against the run.

I think you and I could have saved a lot of time that we spent arguing if I just put a disclaimer in my sig that said "all posts are opinions unless otherwise noted. Opinions in this post do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Billszone.com or the Buffalo Bills organization".

justasportsfan
05-03-2007, 05:00 PM
I think you and I could have saved a lot of time that we spent arguing if I just put a disclaimer in my sig that said "all posts are opinions unless otherwise noted. Opinions in this post do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Billszone.com or the Buffalo Bills organization".

If I said NO Walker is waaayyy better than Anderson against the run, how would we know who's wrong or right since neither of us really followed him ? That means we'd have to wait and see wouldn't we ? That's the problem with you, you put more emphasis on pissing ,moaning and crying about things that remains to be seen. If you told me Anderson (or anyone on the team) sucks, then fine, we both watch him/them play.(although we both see different things for the most part) But walker?

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 05:05 PM
If I said NO Walker is waaayyy better than Anderson against the run, how would we know who's wrong or right since neither of us really followed him ? That means we'd have to wait and see wouldn't we ? That's the problem with you, you put more emphasis on pissing ,moaning and crying about things that remains to be seen.

because every year (or every year in recent memory anyway), this team has had WAY too many things that remain to be seen. Right now, we're set at S, #1 WR, LT, RG (assuming Dockery is going to play on the right side), arguably QB and that's about it. Most of the field is full question marks.

Just once, it would be nice to go in knowing that most of the positions are more likely to do well than do poorly. Instead, we just don't know.

justasportsfan
05-03-2007, 05:10 PM
because every year (or every year in recent memory anyway), this team has had WAY too many things that remain to be seen. Right now, we're set at S, #1 WR, LT, RG (assuming Dockery is going to play on the right side), arguably QB and that's about it. Most of the field is full question marks.

Just once, it would be nice to go in knowing that most of the positions are more likely to do well than do poorly. Instead, we just don't know.

Haha! Here we go again. What happened from the time Marv left til' he came back has nothing to do with this current regime. But go ahead and think things will be the same and that what happened in the first year of rebuilding is the way it will always be.

So tell us about Wlaker again. What have you seen in him that substanciates he is slightly better than Anderson against the run? Please do tell?

madness
05-03-2007, 07:07 PM
It's no secret that we needed an RB and a FB going into the draft.

please explain why we'd have Steve Fairchild as our offensive coordinator and TE's known for receiving instead of blocking if we're going to focus on the running game.

Please explain why we took a QB in the 3rd if we're going to focus on the power running game. Wouldn't an interior lineman or a blocking TE have been a better pick?

as far as "verbally demoralizing", you're referring to the fact that I actually ADDRESS the flaws in this team instead of sticking my fingers in my ears, closing my eyes and yelling "LALALALALA". If you're "verbally demoralized" because someone actually acknowledges the holes in this team and is realistic about the chances for success, then you're way too thin-skinned.

Wright is a fullback now?

I don't need to explain it, Marv already did. He wanted competition at the #2 spot. I'll let you in on a little secret, most teams carry three QB's and and it doesn't mean that they are going to abandon their running game. As far as focusing on the power running game... didn't we just sign a couple free agent maulers that are more known for their run blocking their pass blocking?

I mean the way you down EVERYONE that doesn't agree with your supposed superior wisdom. Guess what? Every team has holes and almost everyone here acknowledges that we have more then most. It's funny how you complain about the defense all the time when the offense was actually worse! Marv's not trying to win the SB this year, he's trying to put a competitive team on the field. If you think you can do better, I'd suggest putting your vast superior knowledge to some use and land a GM job.

HHURRICANE
05-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Can people chill about the right side.

Butler was hurt and was projected as a better player at RT than Pennington who played pretty well as a 7th round rookie.

You now have Pennington, Butler and Walker fighting for the starting RT job.

At RG we brought in a veteran , who can start immediately. I agree that Preston bites the big one and should be added to the TD **** pile of draft choices. Merz has plenty of upside.

Whittle, Merz and Preston don't look all that deep until you consider that someone is going to be left over from the RT battles.

We look good!!

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Wright is a fullback now?

I don't need to explain it, Marv already did. He wanted competition at the #2 spot. I'll let you in on a little secret, most teams carry three QB's and and it doesn't mean that they are going to abandon their running game. As far as focusing on the power running game... didn't we just sign a couple free agent maulers that are more known for their run blocking their pass blocking?

I mean the way you down EVERYONE that doesn't agree with your supposed superior wisdom. Guess what? Every team has holes and almost everyone here acknowledges that we have more then most. It's funny how you complain about the defense all the time when the offense was actually worse! Marv's not trying to win the SB this year, he's trying to put a competitive team on the field. If you think you can do better, I'd suggest putting your vast superior knowledge to some use and land a GM job.

So wait, a few posts ago the drafting of 2 RB's meant a power running game. But now you're saying most teams carry 3 RBs. Make up your mind.

Whether you like it or not, I have good reasons for my opinions. Most- not all, but most- of the people who disagree with me use conjecture, faulty logic and homerism as the basis of their opinions. See, people like you have the misconception that opinions can't be wrong, when they can. For example, some people think that Tom Brady sucks. That opinion is not valid. I ****ing hate Tom Brady with a passion, but the guy has SB rings and MVPs and is clutch on the field. If that "sucks", then pretty much every QB in NFL history except Aikman and Montana suck.

So, when people say ridiculous things like "LB depth may be a problem", yes, I may come off sounding condescending and sarcastic because that opinion is simply not grounded in reality.

As far as the offense, we only lost Chris Villarial and Willis McGahee (both by choice), gained 3 offensive linemen (and one was probably the best G available) in FA, and spent 3 of our first 4 draft picks on the offense.

On D, we lost Clements, Fletcher and Spikes, signed ZERO FA's (that's right, ZERO until Manny Wright earlier today), and only used 1 first day draft pick. If you remember correctly, it was the D that allowed several 7 minute drives in the 4th quarter last year, not the O. The O has it's problems, but moves have been made and there are far fewer holes on O at the moment than on D.

As far as my "vast superior knowledge", I never claimed to have GM quality knowledge- just more knowledge than the homers on this board who base their views on what they want to happen than the reality of the situation. For example, I said we'd suffer when we lost Pat Williams and I got torn to shreds on this board. I'm sure I don't have to remind you how that turned out. I questioned the contracts given to Reed and Price- so far, neither has stepped up as a true #2 receiver. I said we'd be 6-10 last year- I was one game off- we were 7-9.

Yes, I know- none of those are bold predictions that require "vast superior knowledge". And that's exactly why I have such a problem with what some people post around here- I don't have "vast superior knowledge" about football- my knowledge is average or at best slightly above average. Yet, I was able to figure these things out while homers bashed me for it because they wanted to live in their delusional world where the Bills are the best team in the NFL and every move they make is the best move in the history of the NFL.

OpIv37
05-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Haha! Here we go again. What happened from the time Marv left til' he came back has nothing to do with this current regime. But go ahead and think things will be the same and that what happened in the first year of rebuilding is the way it will always be.

So tell us about Wlaker again. What have you seen in him that substanciates he is slightly better than Anderson against the run? Please do tell?

Walker averages 1.54 tackles a game, Anderson averages 1.35 tackles and actually averages more assists per game than Walker. Anderson weighs 10 lbs more than Walker. I know these stats don't tell the whole story and there are immeasurables on the field, but it's a start.

Show me one article about Walker that says he's good against the run.

As far as the Marv stuff- I don't know about you, but I didn't stop being a fan when Marv left and start up again when Marv came back. I was here the whole time. All those crappy years and crappy moves by the old regime still count. We've heard so much **** out of this FO and we know people like Ralph have made bad decisions in the past, so as fans we have every reason to be skeptical. If it looks bad, I'm going to assume it IS bad until something happens to prove otherwise. Likewise if a move looks good (for the record, I said I liked the first two draft picks and Marv did about as good a job as he possibly could given how the other picks fell, so I don't knock everything just to knock it despite what you may think).

mysticsoto
05-04-2007, 08:20 AM
actually we had 24 takeaways which was tied for 24th in the league. I wouldnt' say the D does that particularly well either.

Ummm...yes, but what did OUR takeaways accomplish? We were #10 in the league in allowing scores from anothers' offense.

We've traded in run stopping for takeaways/low scoring of opponents. Which one is more important? With the exception of the Bears game last year, we were pretty much in every game until the end. Now, our offense looks to be better, and will likely have better ball control with a stronger running game. Acknowledge the positives and not just the negatives!!!

OpIv37
05-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Ummm...yes, but what did OUR takeaways accomplish? We were #10 in the league in allowing scores from anothers' offense.

We've traded in run stopping for takeaways/low scoring of opponents. Which one is more important? With the exception of the Bears game last year, we were pretty much in every game until the end. Now, our offense looks to be better, and will likely have better ball control with a stronger running game. Acknowledge the positives and not just the negatives!!!

wow, you COMPLETELY missed the point. If you can't stop the run, you can't get off the field- ie, the 7 minute 4th quarter drives. If we hold teams to 17 points but they have the ball for 42 minutes, it doesn't MATTER because our O won't be on the field to score. Our O has to be able to get on the field before they control the ball.

The reason the D sucked last year was because they couldn't get off the field. You think our opponents really care how many points they score if they can still win? In order for that "low scoring" formula to work, our D has to get off the field and you can't do that without stopping the run. So far, our run D hasn't gotten much better.

mysticsoto
05-04-2007, 08:30 AM
wow, you COMPLETELY missed the point. If you can't stop the run, you can't get off the field- ie, the 7 minute 4th quarter drives. If we hold teams to 17 points but they have the ball for 42 minutes, it doesn't MATTER because our O won't be on the field to score. Our O has to be able to get on the field before they control the ball.

The reason the D sucked last year was because they couldn't get off the field. You think our opponents really care how many points they score if they can still win? In order for that "low scoring" formula to work, our D has to get off the field and you can't do that without stopping the run. So far, our run D hasn't gotten much better.

You missed my point. With a better Oline and better RBs that have heart and want to play here, our running game will be alot better. That means our offense spending more time on the field while our defense rests. That means our opponents have to score to keep up with us - no turnovers which our defense likes to force them to do. That means if opponents fall behind they have to resort to the pass. That means our opponents will have to play to our strength on cold winter days when the wind is blowing. That means we have given ourselves an advantage in being able to execute ball control.

OpIv37
05-04-2007, 08:32 AM
You missed my point. With a better Oline and better RBs that have heart and want to play here, our running game will be alot better. That means our offense spending more time on the field while our defense rests. That means our opponents have to score to keep up with us - no turnovers which our defense likes to force them to do. That means if opponents fall behind they have to resort to the pass. That means our opponents will have to play to our strength on cold winter days when the wind is blowing. That means we have given ourselves an advantage in being able to execute ball control.

And this goes right back to what I said at the beginning of this thread: red zone. If we're not successful in the red zone, then other O's will not be forced to play catch up and the whole strategy goes to hell. You're talking about the Colts' formula when our O isn't NEARLY as good as the Colts' O.

justasportsfan
05-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Walker averages 1.54 tackles a game, Anderson averages 1.35 tackles and actually averages more assists per game than Walker. Anderson weighs 10 lbs more than Walker. I know these stats don't tell the whole story and there are immeasurables on the field, but it's a start.

Show me one article about Walker that says he's good against the run. ).
yes stats mean squat. Why do you have to depend on an article? You made the statement back it up with what you've observed when you watched Walker.

We've heard so much **** out of this FO ). Do tell us all the **** in 1 year that you've heard out of this FO.

If it looks bad, I'm going to assume it IS bad until something happens to prove otherwise.coming from you that means squat. Someone could win the lottery and you'd find something wrong with it.

This thread alone is a perfect example. I posted something that looks good (on paper) about the O and you turned it into a b1tch fest about the D.

You pretty much admitted you didn't follow Walker and you already turned him into a negative.

I'll tell you what OP. I can't wait for another year. How about we make another bet. By mid-season let's see how much yards were ran against us and cut last years total yards . I bet it'll be less compared to last years. Signature bet. You game?

OpIv37
05-04-2007, 08:48 AM
yes stats mean squat. Why do you have to depend on an article? You made the statement back it up with what you've observed when you watched Walker.

Do tell us all the **** in 1 year that you've heard out of this FO.

coming from you that means squat. Someone could win the lottery and you'd find something wrong with it.

This thread alone is a perfect example. I posted something that looks good (on paper) about the O and you turned it into a b1tch fest about the D. You admitted you didn't follow Walker and you already turned him into a negative.

I'll tell you what OP. I can't wait for another year. How about we make another bet. By mid-season let's see how much yards were ran against us and cut last years total yards . I bet it'll be less compared to last years. Signature bet. You game?

First, I retract the comment about hearing **** out of the FO because I have no friggin idea where that came from. I must have lost my concentration while typing or something.

About your bet- you're saying that by mid-season this year, we'll have given up less yards than we did at mid season last year?

mysticsoto
05-04-2007, 08:49 AM
And this goes right back to what I said at the beginning of this thread: red zone. If we're not successful in the red zone, then other O's will not be forced to play catch up and the whole strategy goes to hell. You're talking about the Colts' formula when our O isn't NEARLY as good as the Colts' O.

The Colts are different in that they can score on any one play instantly. Although we might be able to do that with Evans from time to time. I picture a more slow, methodical approach where we continue to take the short yardage they give us b'cse they are playing back to make sure Evans doesn't beat them. With the Oline giving JP more time in passes, I can see short yard pickups to Lynch or a 2nd/3rd WR that steps up - right now I'm hoping George Wilson is given a chance to step up. On the ground, the left side should be strong enough to open holes up for Lynch. The right side should not be bad either. I'm expecting some strong competition. I know Pennington has been working hard and Brad Butler wants his job. Walker I'm still thinking will probably be moved inside. In any case, I think we have healthy competition on that side and the players are likely going to be pushing themselves without even needing the coaches. I'm thinking that side might actually surprise some people. With red zone situations we have a multidimensional back who can run the ball, block or streak outward for a dump off AND we will have a bruising type of back that will run over people. Having both in at the same time will make it very difficult for defenses to know where the ball is going.

We face difficult teams this year (again) with a tough schedule, but I think some of the things they can do on offense now might pleasantly surprise you...

OpIv37
05-04-2007, 08:51 AM
The Colts are different in that they can score on any one play instantly. Although we might be able to do that with Evans from time to time. I picture a more slow, methodical approach where we continue to take the short yardage they give us b'cse they are playing back to make sure Evans doesn't beat them. With the Oline giving JP more time in passes, I can see short yard pickups to Lynch or a 2nd/3rd WR that steps up - right now I'm hoping George Wilson is given a chance to step up. On the ground, the left side should be strong enough to open holes up for Lynch. The right side should not be bad either. I'm expecting some strong competition. I know Pennington has been working hard and Brad Butler wants his job. Walker I'm still thinking will probably be moved inside. In any case, I think we have healthy competition on that side and the players are likely going to be pushing themselves without even needing the coaches. I'm thinking that side might actually surprise some people. With red zone situations we have a multidimensional back who can run the ball, block or streak outward for a dump off AND we will have a bruising type of back that will run over people. Having both in at the same time will make it very difficult for defenses to know where the ball is going.

We face difficult teams this year (again) with a tough schedule, but I think some of the things they can do on offense now might pleasantly surprise you...

I hope you're right because the D is awful. If the O cant' control the ball and put points on the board, it's going to be a long season.

justasportsfan
05-04-2007, 08:55 AM
First, I retract the comment about hearing **** out of the FO because I have no friggin idea where that came from. I must have lost my concentration while typing or something. :rolleyes: just like you have no idea how Walker will do against the run in the cover 2 but he's barely better than Anderson anyways.

About your bet- you're saying that by mid-season this year, we'll have given up less yards than we did at mid season last year?

lets divide last years total yards by half. I am betting that by mid-season this year it'll be less. Make that a sig bet.

We still have total season yards at the end of the year for 10,000 zbs.

OpIv37
05-04-2007, 08:58 AM
:rolleyes: just like you have no idea how Walker will do against the run in the cover 2 but he's barely better than Anderson anyways.

lets divide last years total yards by half. I am betting that by mid-season this year it'll be less. Make that a sig bet.

We still have total season yards at the end of the year for 10,000 zbs.

According to NFL.com we gave up 2254 rushing yards last year so the bet is that after 8 games this year, we'll have given up more than 1127 yards? I'll take it.

ublinkwescore
05-04-2007, 09:05 AM

:rofl:

I see Sab enjoys groaning you as well.

justasportsfan
05-04-2007, 09:09 AM
According to NFL.com we gave up 2254 rushing yards last year so the bet is that after 8 games this year, we'll have given up more than 1127 yards? I'll take it.

I know the odds are against me since the hardest part of the sched is the first half and it takes time for the team to gel but Who cares. You're on.

justasportsfan
05-04-2007, 09:10 AM
:rofl:

I see Sab enjoys groaning you as well. I'll take that as a compliment coming from the guy who thinks AJ Smith doesn't know how to draft. Clueless.

mysticsoto
05-04-2007, 09:16 AM
I know the odds are against me since the hardest part of the sched is the first half and it takes time for the team to gel but Who cares. You're on.

Can you add something to your bet? Like if Justa wins, Op has to admit that he whined more than he should have about the Bills. If Op wins, Justa can say he was too optimistic or something like that...Justa...me..and pretty much every Bills fan here will be obviously rooting for you!!!

justasportsfan
05-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Can you add something to your bet? Like if Justa wins, Op has to admit that he whined more than he should have about the Bills. If Op wins, Justa can say he was too optimistic or something like that...Justa...me..and pretty much every Bills fan here will be obviously rooting for you!!!

The sig will take care of that if I win. This time I'm not letting him off the hook like I did last year.

OP, security software won't let me view your PM reply :idunno:

the sig bet is for how long BTW, The rest of the season?

ublinkwescore
05-04-2007, 09:31 AM
I'll take that as a compliment coming from the guy who thinks AJ Smith doesn't know how to draft. Clueless.

there's something wrong with him - he can't help it.

he's delusional or something.

OpIv37
05-04-2007, 09:42 AM
The sig will take care of that if I win. This time I'm not letting him off the hook like I did last year.

OP, security software won't let me view your PM reply :idunno:

the sig bet is for how long BTW, The rest of the season?

The way I understood it, the bet is giving up 1127 yards after 8 games- more than that I win, less than that you win.

I think the loser should leave the sig in place until after the Super Bowl- deal?

justasportsfan
05-04-2007, 09:46 AM
The way I understood it, the bet is giving up 1127 yards after 8 games- more than that I win, less than that you win.

I think the loser should leave the sig in place until after the Super Bowl- deal?
:up:

jpdex12
05-04-2007, 09:51 AM

Here's another valid point...the sun is going to set if it rises.

bflojohn
05-04-2007, 01:17 PM
First off, Darwin Walker never got benched for a fifth round DT (Williams) who outplayed him ( Anderson was inactive, at least the last quarter of last year!) The defense is in rebuild mode and it is safe to assume (even IF you don't like to) that players like John McCargo and Kyle Williams WILL BE better players in their second season. The same can be said about Ellison, Whitner, Simpson, and Youboty. The wisdom around the NFL is that second year players improve the most, in their careers, between the first and second year. They are better able to handle the rigors of the NFL season both mentally and physically. Darwin Walker IS SIMPLY an upgrade! Tripplett will likely benefit from the youngsters around him maturing and providing improved play. I LOVE the Paul Posluszny pick because it augments the selections of 6 rookies on defense last year. I'll bet something.... I'll wager that Posluszny will have more tackles for loss than Fletcher had last year. THAT IS the reason he was coveted by this team, no question. Lastly, The offense will simply be better with TE's not having to pass block as much and with RB's that are hungry and WANT to play in Buffalo, New York. The maturation of J.P. Losman will be more evident (better stats and more victories) and Lee Evans will garner Pro Bowl consideration, if not selection!!

Night Train
05-04-2007, 02:00 PM
If we can actually run the ball, it will have a domino effect on so many other aspects of our offense. I'm encouraged.

justasportsfan
05-04-2007, 02:48 PM
The defense is in rebuild mode and it is safe to assume (even IF you don't like to) that players like John McCargo and Kyle Williams WILL BE better players in their second season. The same can be said about Ellison, Whitner, Simpson, and Youboty. The wisdom around the NFL is that second year players improve the most, in their careers, between the first and second year. They are better able to handle the rigors of the NFL season both mentally and physically. Darwin Walker IS SIMPLY an upgrade! Tripplett will likely benefit from the youngsters around him maturing and providing improved play.

You're better off talking to a wall.