The State of Our Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowHawk7
    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
    • Mar 2003

The State of Our Defense

This is in response to a OpIv post that attacked another post that said that our new LB corps should be better than our previous LB corps. He then proceeded to call this homerism and stated that our defense would be worse on the Dline, Secondary and between the two.

I hate to, but I agree with OpIv at least for the LB part.

Only the staunchest homer could say that Spikes-Fletch-Crowell is worse or equal to Ellison-Poz-Crowell. Of course in the future, our combo should be better, but right now, we're lacking in terms of outstanding starting talent AND depth at LB.

However, I strongly believe that part of this problem will be offset with a improved DLine this year, with additions of McCargo, Walker, and even Manny Wright or LaRon Harris to the DT rotation, paired with our strong DEnds and hopeful loss of Tim Anderson.

Then you take a look at CB. Overrated or not, we are now worse at CB then we were before we lost Nate Clements, and we haven't made any moves to fix it.
    However the Clements loss may be countered by two things:

1. Development of Ashton Youboty
    2. 2nd year jump of our safeties Whitner and Simpson.

Therefore, the arguement could be made that our defense had two positions where we got worse: CB and LB, and two positions where we got better: DT and S. It is very possible then, that these changes could balance out in the present, and swing in our favor in the future. Of course it's possible that I'm wrong about that, but I've tried to be as non-homer as I can.

So with our defense balancing out, or at least, getting close, we move towards the offense.
    Only the staunchest pessimist could argue that our Offense has not gotten better this offseason. We have gotten better through three things.

1. Continued development of JP, and insurance in Edwards.
    2. Turning our RBs from a weakness to a strength by adding Lynch and Wright.
    3. Bolstering two positions on the Oline: LG, and RT/RG, and adding depth with Whittle.

Therefore, the arguement can be made that while the defense may not have improved, it hasn't gotten much worse, and the offense HAS improved, straight up.
    Because of this, we have improved as a team since the end of 2006.

To make it even easier:
    Offense 07 > Offense 06
    Defense 07 = Defense (or close to)

Bills 07 > Bills 06
    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
    -Vince Lombardi
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Re: The State of Our Defense

Good analysis.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

How did the DL improve against the RUN? Walker may help with the pass rush but he isn't really better than what we have.

And McCargo wasn't exactly impressive before he got hurt, and now he's also been injured two years in a row. The DL is virtually the same.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
        Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
        • Mar 2003

Thanks, I seriously think this should be our outlook until something changes/happens.

To Op, this may sound homeristic, but I saw vast improvement in McCargo's 4th and 5th game before he got injured. It looked as if he was holding more than is own. Before that, I competely agree with you. Remember a penetrating DT is good for more than just sacking QBs.
        They disrupt blocking schemes and reach the running back behind the LOS rather than just meeting him there like the fat ass run stoppers do. By penetrating and creating holes, it allows for LBs to shoot the gaps and meet the RB at the LOS, instead of 2-3 yards down the field.
        With this being the strength of McCargo, Walker, and Tripp, KW's ability to anchor against bigger blockers, the addition of Wright that could potentially add to our run stopping ability, I'd say we're better here than before.

McCargo hasn't been given a full opportunity to prove his abilites, this year, he will, and I say odds are, he'll help us out considerably in stopping the run.
        "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
        -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

Lets let the situation with Briggs get ugly and take another look.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• mysticsoto
            Too sober for this...
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
            How did the DL improve against the RUN? Walker may help with the pass rush but he isn't really better than what we have.

And McCargo wasn't exactly impressive before he got hurt, and now he's also been injured two years in a row. The DL is virtually the same.
            The DL improves automatically by the removal of Tim Anderson in the rotation!

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mysticsoto
              The DL improves automatically by the removal of Tim Anderson in the rotation!
              I'll give you that, however, Tim Anderson is so bad that it's possible to be better than him and still completely suck.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Romes
                • Jul 2002

I don't think you can include Spikes in our LB core for the past two years. The real question is Ellison-Pos-Crowell better than Ellsion-Fletcher-Crowell. The answer is still that it is worse but not by much and it may even be better by mid-season.
                Originally posted by paladin warrior
                RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
                  Thanks, I seriously think this should be our outlook until something changes/happens.

To Op, this may sound homeristic, but I saw vast improvement in McCargo's 4th and 5th game before he got injured. It looked as if he was holding more than is own. Before that, I competely agree with you. Remember a penetrating DT is good for more than just sacking QBs.
                  They disrupt blocking schemes and reach the running back behind the LOS rather than just meeting him there like the fat ass run stoppers do. By penetrating and creating holes, it allows for LBs to shoot the gaps and meet the RB at the LOS, instead of 2-3 yards down the field.
                  With this being the strength of McCargo, Walker, and Tripp, KW's ability to anchor against bigger blockers, the addition of Wright that could potentially add to our run stopping ability, I'd say we're better here than before.

McCargo hasn't been given a full opportunity to prove his abilites, this year, he will, and I say odds are, he'll help us out considerably in stopping the run.
                  This is not entirely true. If the DT penetrates into the backfield he either needs to tackle the ball carrier or redirect him to have any impact in the play, because once the DT is through the line the blockers can double up on the LB.

McCargo is pretty much an unknown at this point because he was injured for the bulk of last season and is being asked to switch DT spots (he backed up Triplett last year).

I am not saying this can't work to the Bills favor, just that there are still lots of question marks.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                    • Sep 2003

The run defense will never be great in this type of defense period! What we need is a more productive offense that forces teams to abandon the run ala Indy! Lets hope for continued improvement with this years draft!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                      The run defense will never be great in this type of defense period!
                      That's why I hate this whole defensive system. The way to win football games is to run and stop the run. We should be able to run the ball better this year- stopping the run is a different story. If the D can't get off the field, it means a) they'll get tired and eventually give up a score and b) the offense is on the bench and doesn't have the opportunity to score.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

Spikes-Fletcher-Crowell were nothing to shout about.

Spikes has never really recovered. Fletcher was over rated, statistically great but never making a real impact.

Posluzny is an upgrade. I also feel the depth that Stammer and Haggan bring is under rated. We suffered last year from the starters and MLB/SLB backups being injured. Lightning rarely strikes twice

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by kernowboy
                          I also feel the depth that Stammer and Haggan bring is under rated.
                          wow, you're generally not a homer but that's definitely a homer statement. These guys have never done anything on D and are mostly on the roster for ST abilities.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

In terms of talent, our D is most likely not as good as it was last year. In terms of experience, definitely gonna be better.

Whether better understanding of the cover 2 by our vets and 1 year of experience by our rookies from last year is enough to make up for the loss of Clements and Fletcher are enough , only time will tell. MY guess is , yes.
                            Last edited by justasportsfan; 05-03-2007, 06:53 PM.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• thecoordinator
                              • Sep 2005

i think the Bills are doing a solid job building for the future. but the future aint this year. spikes, fletcher and clements combined for 244 tackles, 7 INT and 26 passes defensed in 07. i don't expect a rookie, a 2nd year 6th rounder and a 2nd year 3rd rounder who is essentially a rookie to match those numbers this season.

Comment

Working...
                              X