PDA

View Full Version : Forget about Tebucky Jones

PA Season Ticket Holder
03-13-2003, 11:55 AM
It would be nice to have him, but he's seeking 5-6 million a year (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6249347)

They were teammates at Syracuse, both are NFL safeties that can run, and both have franchise tags restricting their ability to move as free agents.

New England's Tebucky Jones and Jacksonville's Donovin Darius have one other thing in common: They are both being shopped around the league.

The Patriots and Jaguars are asking for a first-round pick from any team willing to make a trade for their safety. The hitch in that plan is the team that trades for them will also have to sign them to a long-term deal.

Word is Jones is asking for a deal that would average $5-6 million a year, and Darius isn't far behind. Thus, lies the problem.

Romes
03-13-2003, 11:58 AM
Ok then lets draft Rashean Mathis.

BTW, no way a safety gets $5-6 mil a year. I'd be shocked if they get that type of money.

Ingtar33
03-13-2003, 12:00 PM
5-6mil for a FS with only 4 career ints (in 6 nfl seasons)?

Wow, Jones is on crack if he thinks he's getting that type of money... even pro-bowl quality safeties don't break 3mil per year. What makes Jones think he'll get that type of money?

Tatonka
03-13-2003, 12:00 PM
yeah.. they will be sorely disappointed when it is all said and done..

venis2k1
03-13-2003, 12:01 PM
Im sure there is some crazy GM out there stupid enough to do it....A guy down in SD rings a bell.

jchild178
03-13-2003, 12:06 PM
yeah can you say Dan Snyder? now hes a fuggin idiot!

Mr. Miyagi
03-13-2003, 12:07 PM
Who does Jones think he is? SuperBowl MVP Dexter Jackson is only getting $14 million for 5 years. With the name Tebucky, he'd be real TeLucky to get anywhere near that $$.

PA Season Ticket Holder
03-13-2003, 12:11 PM
Let him seek that much. It just makes it that much harder for the Pats to trade him to anybody before they need to release the tag.

WG
03-13-2003, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I agree. Those prices will come down.

Bulldog
03-13-2003, 01:55 PM
If that's the case, I would rather have Darius anyway. But for that kind of money, they can both take a crap and fall back in it for all I care.

Doc
03-13-2003, 02:05 PM
There goes completely the Pats' leverage in trying to get anything for Jones. Teams know the Pats are overstocked at S and realize they won't be signing Jones for what he wants, so they'll just wait for them to release him.

Novacane
03-13-2003, 02:27 PM
All these teams think since TD was able to get a #1 for his franchise player they can do the same. There is a HUGE differance................TD knew Atlanta had the major hots for PP and the FA pool of top WR was very thin. It was just perfect timing for us. It will not work like that for most Franchised players

Bulldog
03-13-2003, 02:28 PM
That was my point on the other thread! I don't know why the Pats would have signed Harrison before they got rid of Jones. But now that I think about it, if Jones wants huge money, I don't know if N.E. would have been able to unload him even if they didn't sign Harrison. But in that case, they could have kept Jones and let him play out the remaining years of his contract. Now they are forced to make a decision on him due to the Harrison contract. If I am a N.E. fan, I am not happy with the Harrison signing.

Doc
03-13-2003, 02:51 PM
The Broncos and Raiders were heating up over Harrison, so the Pats jumped the gun and signed him. I'm glad they did because he's in decline.

itsandthings
03-13-2003, 08:49 PM
The Pats are asking a 2nd for Jones, New Orleans is offering a 3rd.

It'll happen eventually, maybe the 3rd with a conditional pick next year.

venis2k1
03-13-2003, 09:03 PM
If anyone can work out a good deal, im sure TD is the man.