PDA

View Full Version : Some misconceptions Bills fans have

Bills232
05-04-2007, 10:47 AM
#1-Terrence McGee is a starting calibur cornerback- This guy would not be starting on about 25 teams. His play has really regressed over the past two seasons.

#2-John McCargo is a capeable starter- The guy played badly last year when given the oppurtunity, and was considered a reach when we drafted him. Manny Lawson and Mario Williams have dissapointed thus far, what makes McCargo different?

#3-Langston Walker must be good because he is massive- Mike Williams ring a bell? I think Langston will be our future RG, and do not think he has the athletic ability to play tackle in the NFL.

#4-Donte Whitner was a great pick- He played well last year(better than Michael Huff), but he is going to need to start making more plays and creating more turnovers if I am going to say that he is worthy of the #8 pick. I still think Ernie Sims or Haloti Ngata(the guy I wanted) was the better choice

#5-Willis McGahee was a bad RB- Say what you want about him, but he was a bruiser in the prime of his career. I know Lynch has similar qualities, but wouldn't it have been easier to just work things out with McGahee and draft someone like Revis?

Mr. Miyagi
05-04-2007, 10:50 AM
:rolleyes: Yet another piss-and-moaner. Go sit over there with the rest of them.

raphael120
05-04-2007, 10:52 AM
#1-Terrence McGee is a starting calibur cornerback- This guy would not be starting on about 25 teams. His play has really regressed over the past two seasons.

#2-John McCargo is a capeable starter- The guy played badly last year when given the oppurtunity, and was considered a reach when we drafted him. Manny Lawson and Mario Williams have dissapointed thus far, what makes McCargo different?

#3-Langston Walker must be good because he is massive- Mike Williams ring a bell? I think Langston will be our future RG, and do not think he has the athletic ability to play tackle in the NFL.

#4-Donte Whitner was a great pick- He played well last year(better than Michael Huff), but he is going to need to start making more plays and creating more turnovers if I am going to say that he is worthy of the #8 pick. I still think Ernie Sims or Haloti Ngata(the guy I wanted) was the better choice

#5-Willis McGahee was a bad RB- Say what you want about him, but he was a bruiser in the prime of his career. I know Lynch has similar qualities, but wouldn't it have been easier to just work things out with McGahee and draft someone like Revis?

http://www.tshizzle.com/tshirts/Funny/koolaid-large.jpg
DRIIIIIIIIIINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Lecter
05-04-2007, 10:54 AM
#1 - I basically agree.
#2 - He was a rookie last year who improved each game. DT's take 2-3 to develop. To call him a bust already is dumb. Pat Williams never played his first year.
#3 - Very possibly correct. McNally needs towork some magic.
#4- He was a rookie. Ngata looked great with some great players around him. With the importance of safety in this scheme, Whitner makes sense.
#5 - You dog on Whitner and McCargo and praise the ******? He was a guy that did not want to be here and would not learn the playbook. He was an above average (slightly) RB. He did not play great unless the Jets, Vilma and the 'U' were involved. He was also not the receiver or blocker Lynch is.

BillsOwnAll
05-04-2007, 10:57 AM
How can you say Willis was a "good" Running Back???? All he did was get 2 yard carries or lose yards. He could never break a long run, EVERY team in the NFL has a RB that is capable of "breaking the big one" except for us when we had Willis. The guy was dumb, didn't care and is not fast enough to be a top RB in the NFL. So i think its a smart pick to get 2 rookies and hopefully one of em will pan out.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-04-2007, 10:58 AM

Good list Northwesternfan, so lets see what we got

1. Absolutely correct, McGee is an excellent return man and ST player but he is not a starting cb

2. McCargo did look decent and showed potential, and keep in mind that he was a rookie in the early season when he was lost

3. Walker, sorry NWF but you are wrong here. Wait and see.

4. Whitner wasn't a great pick, no he was a brilliant pick.

5. Just plain crazy. Dead Wrong.

1/5 correct. You're improving.

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-04-2007, 10:59 AM
McGahee may not be a bad back, but he is certainly one of the most overrated players in the league right along with Nate Clements. How can you say anything about McCargo except that he was hurt? Whitner played very well last year and if you remember he did have another pick that was called back on a phantom penalty. I am a little nervous about Walker to be honest. Terrence McGee was awesome two years ago, and I think he is a starting caliber corner. He needs to adjust to the new D like everyone else. You lose.

patmoran2006
05-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Half agree. I dont think he's as bad as he was last year (off year) but he's CLEARLY not a #1 shutdown corner. He's "Toast" McGee for a reason. He is a decent #2 but I see MANY problems with him covering the Randy Moss', Chris Chambers and Coles' of the division.> Its going to be UGLY.

Unfair to say this.. He played like what, five games before breaking his foot? I never liked this pick from the second it was made (I wanted Mangold) and I QUESTION whether he is a starting NT, especially the 1-NT spot.... but you cant write someone off based on 5 games as a rookie.. How he plays is indicitive of MARV LEVY because he traded UP for him.. Levy needs to start being held accountable for moves sooner or later.

Langston Walker is a fat peice of **** and he'll be lucky to be starting anywhere by the bye. This will turn out to be one of the dumber moves this team has ever made in FA.. I've asked people who cover the Raiders about him, read countless peices on him, and read many Raider fans opinions on him, and I've NEVER EVER ONCE seen a positive thing written about him other than he's big and he can block FG's... He was a weak link in maybe the worst OL in the history of the NFL last year, and we give him $25 million? That's absurd. I hope he is better at RG because I'll bet anyone he's going to be putrid as our RT.

#4-Donte Whitner was a great pick- He played well last year(better than Michael Huff), but he is going to need to start making more plays and creating more turnovers if I am going to say that he is worthy of the #8 pick. I still think Ernie Sims or Haloti Ngata(the guy I wanted) was the better choice.
I disagree at this point... Safety is a very important spot in the cover two, especially in run support (Bob Sanders). He was just a rookie and he played very well for one. If he continues to improve, he is a great pick. Given our front seven is swiss cheese, Ngata woulda been the better pick I agree; but Whitner can be a difference maker back there as well. This still might be a great pick.

Willis McGahee SUCKS unless we were playing the Jets. I think he wont do much better in Baltimore. He plays when he feels like playing. Marshawn Lynch is an upgrade from day one. Lynch is one of only TWO players the entire offseason we added (DOckery the other) that is a clear upgrade over what was there last year.

The Answer
05-04-2007, 11:03 AM

1) Agree - Toast was a 4th round pick for a reason, great return man and would probably excel in the nickel - but as a full time starter he is worthless and will be exposed big time this year without Clements.

2) Disagree - still too early to say whether he's a good player or not, but he didn't look to good before his injury. The Answer hopes he stays healthy all year to truly gauge him in 2007.

3) Agree - Walker came from an even more pathetic oline than Buffalo with the Raiders and he has been turnstile for the most part. However overall The Answer feels he's a better signing that Fat Benny The Penalty was.

4) Disagree - Whitner was solid as a rookie, but remains to be seen whether he was truly worth a top 10 pick or not. He is going to have to step it up big time in 2007 and emerge as the leader of the secondary with Clements gone.

5) Disagree - A bruiser in the prime of his career? LOL Sorry but he was a horrible pick in 2003 and he is never going to be a top NFL RB even if he stays healthy an entire season. He's too slow, takes plays off and is a lockeroom cancer. Good luck Ravens.

~The Answer

Generalissimus Gibby
05-04-2007, 11:04 AM
the question has to agree with the answer here. :D :bills:

patmoran2006
05-04-2007, 11:07 AM
1) Agree - Toast was a 4th round pick for a reason, great return man and would probably excel in the nickel - but as a full time starter he is worthless and will be exposed big time this year without Clements.

2) Disagree - still too early to say whether he's a good player or not, but he didn't look to good before his injury. The Answer hopes he stays healthy all year to truly gauge him in 2007.

3) Agree - Walker came from an even more pathetic oline than Buffalo with the Raiders and he has been turnstile for the most part. However overall The Answer feels he's a better signing that Fat Benny The Penalty was.

4) Disagree - Whitner was solid as a rookie, but remains to be seen whether he was truly worth a top 10 pick or not. He is going to have to step it up big time in 2007 and emerge as the leader of the secondary with Clements gone.

5) Disagree - A bruiser in the prime of his career? LOL Sorry but he was a horrible pick in 2003 and he is never going to be a top NFL RB even if he stays healthy an entire season. He's too slow, takes plays off and is a lockeroom cancer. Good luck Ravens.

~The Answer
Benny Anderson didn't cost the Bills $25 million, so that's a bad comparison.

The Answer
05-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Benny Anderson didn't cost the Bills $25 million, so that's a bad comparison.

Yes Neggie - But he's more talented/versatile than Anderson and The Answer will keep an open mind until he plays a game in a Bills uniform.

~The Answer

The King
05-04-2007, 11:17 AM

Prime of his career the dude has been in the league for what 4 years!!

Dr. Lecter
05-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes Neggie - But he's more talented/versatile than Anderson and The Answer will keep an open mind until he plays a game in a Bills uniform.

~The Answer

Open minds are discouraged around here.

Ed
05-04-2007, 11:22 AM
McNally really liked Langston Walker and only had positive things to say about him. He watched every snap he played for the Raiders last season too. Not saying that that makes him a lock to be great, but McNally is a pretty good OL evaluator. His opinion should count for something.

ddaryl
05-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Willis McGahee was a bad RB- Say what you want about him, but he was a bruiser in the prime of his career. I know Lynch has similar qualities, but wouldn't it have been easier to just work things out with McGahee and draft someone like Revis?

On this one all I can say is... YOU CAN NOT BE FRIGGIN SERIOUS. 900 yds rushing and 6 TD's = prime of his career LOL

Mcgahee displayed a complete lack of effort and heart, never carried the Bills O on his back once like a self proclaimed "greatest RB" should be capable of, and had trouble with our playbook. On top of that he absolulty refused to work out in the offseason workouts and be around the coaches and players which would have gone a long way towards building chemistry.

Nope, Mcgahee is nothing more then a bum. He may do well in Baltimore this year, but as soon as he has some success he will implode upon himself.

heck we'd be a better team with no RB then with mcgahee IMO.

OpIv37
05-04-2007, 11:35 AM

Agree with the first 3. Semi-agree with #4. Whitner played well but he can do better. I'm still waiting for him to really unload a vicious hit on someone.

Disagree on #5. McGahee has all the physical talent in the world but his attitude made him a bad RB for the Bills. We don't need guys who refuse to show up every week.

Brandon
05-04-2007, 11:50 AM
1) I disagree about Terrence McGee. He's definitely not an elite CB, but he's a capable starter. There's no question that he struggled badly early in the season, but he recovered from a poor start to play acceptably well. I think most of those early season struggles can be attributed to a switch to a new defensive system. He needed time to adjust.

2) Defensive linemen, particularly DTs, routinely need 2-3 years to develop upon entering the NFL before they really begin to play well...yes, even early first round picks. In most cases, the issue is lack of functional football strength (not the same as weight room strength) and they often need those 2-3 years in an NFL strength and conditioning program before they're truly ready to play. I wouldn't pass judgement upon McCargo until after the '07 season, or perhaps even the '08 season.

3) I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't think its a lack of athleticism with Walker. If memory serves, it was actually his combine workouts that got him drafted high (R2, I think). It seems to be a technique issue and the Bills probably think they can coach him into being a solid player. We'll see, although I will readily admit that I'm not optimistic. I also think he's too tall to play OG. The QBs will have trouble throwing over him on pass plays and Walker will have trouble with leverage on running plays. OT only, IMO.

4) No disagreement. I like Whitner and think he was a very solid addition to the team, but if you're going to use the #8 pick on a player, you really should expect him to be an elite player and a playmaker. From what I've seen of Whitner, he'll probably be a near-Pro Bowl type player. That's not bad at all, but I do agree that you should aim for more with a top 10 pick.

5) McGahee isn't a bad RB. He just isn't a good one, either. He reminds me of another Bills' first round pick at RB: Antowain Smith. Like Smith, he'd be good if he ran like Jerome Bettis, but instead, just like Smith, he thinks he's Barry Sanders. Too much east-west, not enough north-south. And both guys were essentially non-factors in the passing game. Overall, I think Lynch will be a major improvement over McGahee in almost all respects. He's faster, more agile, runs harder, actually contributes in the passing game, and seems to be significantly smarter both on and off the field than McGahee as well.

TedMock
05-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Agreed. He's a number two corner on most teams.

Disagree. The obvious rebuttle is that he was injured. Truth is that he struggled against NE and in the second game (can't remember who we played), but if you watched against the Jets and Minnesota, he held his own at the line of scrimmage. He didn't get stats, but he wasn't supposed to when they moved him over. He was undersized to be playing in a 2-gap spot, but we needed him there and the opponents actually struggled running against us. That didn't happen after he was injured.

Tough call. He was actually a decent guard and he did struggle at tackle. Moving him to guard and upgrading the RT spot may be worst case scenario and that's not even a bad thing.

Donte Whitner was not only solid last season, but he improved as the year went on. I think he was an excellent pick and I think he'll be the natural leader of our secondary this season.

The prime of his career was when he was a 19 year old back at UM. He has the talent to be a good back and I think he'll be a good back in Baltimore. He was an underachieving back in Buffalo (except for his first 10 games). He danced too much behind the line of scrimmage (yes, sometimes the line blocked well) even when he had time to run. His vision wasn't very good, and he was a very bad blocker. On a good team that doesn't necessarily rely on him, he'll run for 1700 yards. No doubt about it. On a young team that needs heart and leadership, he won't do well

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-04-2007, 02:26 PM
I would say the conception is that there are a lot of Bills fans don't really know what they are talking about a lot. They read things or hear other people complaining about someone and all of a sudden they have revelations.

There is no question that McGee isn't a top notch corner, but in this defense I think the corners only need to be decent. Another thing is McGee is entering his third season and sometimes the light goes on. Really dumb point.

The guy was a rookie last season who was injured after what five games. How can you possibly make this assumption that the guy isn't a capable starter? He started out poorly but came on before the injury. Really, really stupid point.

I really do not believe I have read any person thinking that Langston Walker is going to be good because he is massive. Not one person. As a matter of fact I believe everyone that I talked to believed this might not be a good pickup and maybe he can be effective. Useless point.

Again, not going to cry over spilled milk. Entering second year. See #2

#5-Willis McGahee was a bad RB- Say what you want about him, but he was a bruiser in the prime of his career. I know Lynch has similar qualities, but wouldn't it have been easier to just work things out with McGahee and draft someone like Revis?[/QUOTE]
This is a misconception. The fact is McGahee wasn't a bad back. Why in the world would you want to work things out with a guy who obviously doesn't want to be here? McGahee was a cancer and from every indication OBD couldn't wait to rid themselves of him. Another stupid point.

If it weren't for some other dandies on this board I would nominate this for the worst post of the year. It was horrible. You sound like another negative guy on this board who has little to no clue.

Have a nice day.

eyedog
05-04-2007, 02:32 PM
1. Mcgee is a #2 at best, really a #3. For you ******s who think Clements sucks let me know in about week 8 if you miss him. Clements is twice the corner Mcgee is.
2.McCargo- to early to tell. Have to see him play full year without injuries.
3.Walker, I'm not impressed with a 25 mil. waste of money. Will probably end up at rg instead of the bench because of the $$$ put out and Pennington back at rt.
4.Whitner-still has a lot to prvoe imo. I would rather have taken Ngata.
5.I like Lynch and think he will be an upgrade.

dasaybz
05-04-2007, 02:50 PM
McGee is not a bad CB. Sure, he got picked on a little bit, but after his early season struggles, he played much better.

I am very worried about CB however. Who is starting on the opposite side of him? Old Kiwaukee or Youboty ... ouch. What ever happened to Eric King?

OpIv37
05-04-2007, 10:29 PM
McGee is not a bad CB. Sure, he got picked on a little bit, but after his early season struggles, he played much better.

I am very worried about CB however. Who is starting on the opposite side of him? Old Kiwaukee or Youboty ... ouch. What ever happened to Eric King?

King was cut at the end of preseason last year. Someone picked him up- I wanna say Tampa Bay but I could be wrong.

I was disappointed- granted he was playing against 3rd stringers but he did really well in preseason last year.

Jan Reimers
05-05-2007, 07:44 AM

Who died and left your opinions as fact?

SABURZFAN
05-05-2007, 11:20 AM
:rolleyes: Yet another piss-and-moaner. Go sit over there with the rest of them.

the guy has every right to express his opinion whether you like it or not.you need a refresher course on your Moderating skills. :down:

SABURZFAN
05-05-2007, 11:22 AM

1.i agree
2.i agree
3.i agree
4.i disagree
5.i disagree

YardRat
05-05-2007, 12:11 PM
1. McGee will be fine, and although he appeared to regress last year and may not ever be elite he is still a decent starter.

2. McCargo has yet to prove whether or not he's a capable starter and getting hurt last year took away his opportunity to prove it. If he remains healthy this year, we'll see how capable he is or isn't.

3. I can't recall anybody saying Walker had talent simply because of his size. I'm willing to give him a shot at tackle but really feel his best spot maybe inside at guard.

4. I'm looking forward to good, maybe great play from Whitner this year. Simpson also. Regardless of where they were picked.

5. McGahee will probably have a decent to great year this season, but I have my doubts whether he has the attitude to sustain any kind of excellence on the field. We may look foolish to some around mid-season for trading him, but over the long haul I'm pretty confident we'll be able to look back and see it was a good move to dump him.